Graham's Review of Yamato 1/60 Scale YF-19

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

I actually don't like the look of a black YF-19. I'd much rather have a white & blue or white & orange Super Nova version than a black one.

Graham

I agree. They can save the stealth look for the YF-21. It'll look much better on that.

Edited by Dante74

I am generally not a fan of black valks either, although my Stealth 1J is possibly my favorite valk in my collection - I think though it has more to do with the awesomness of the 1/48 than with its' being black...

That said, I don't like the dark blue hue of the YF-21 either...

The best coloring is on the 1/60 19; it's the most realistic.

VFTF1

Goddamn it, I'd made my peace with Yamatos.

I hadn't bought one in over a year - times are tight, I'm scraping $$$ to buy a house and help my wife pay for gradschool (and missing her income), valks don't fit into the financial picture. I'd managed to pass on all the last-gen 1/48s, the Konig Monster, even the VF-0 without shedding (more than one or two) tears.

Then, yesterday, I got bushwhacked. Was minding my own business, walkin' around Comiccon, and suddenly there it was. A YF-19. And I couldn't resist.

Now I'm $200 in the hole, and my valk addiction is threatening to re-ignite. Bad business.

I think DYRL has killed white valks of any type for me. More color please!! I don't know about black though, that doesn't exactly spruce up the ol' display either.

Personally, I preferred the more widely varied color schemes of the TV series than DYRL?'s.

In DYRL?, there weren't much differences. The only ones that were decent were:

Roy's classic -1S

CF Brown & White

I immediately disliked the single stripe color difference between Hikaru, Max, and Kakizaki's -1A's.

Even Hikaru's -1S felt like a pale imitation to Roy's yellow / black / white.

The TV series had all the schemes I liked.

Roy's -1S

CF Brown & White

Max's Blue -1J

Millia's Red -1J

Hikaru's White -1J (I think DYRL? had a white -1J for maybe a brief moment)

I can't stand most of the DYRL? valks anymore, but then again, they're cheaper to buy nowadays. If you want a "relatively cheap" yammie to customize, then those are safe bets.

... snip...

Even Hikaru's -1S felt like a pale imitation to Roy's yellow / black / white.

...snip...

Well I for one think Hikaru's VF-1S paint scheme is a nice variant.

Everyone always gets Roy's scheme.

So from my POV, it's a nice dictinction from everyone else.

It's because the white skull and crossbones on the black background is always superior!

When the sv-51 comes out (and provided no major probs) I know I will be getting ivanov's first heh.

I think the stealth vf-1 is really good. (the "titan's elite" or delta force of battroid schemes :D)

And I hope if they get to yf-21 they do a non-canon black paintscheme similar to the VF-22 in macross 7.

Then I can line them all up on the shelf: vf-1 stealth, Ivanov sv-51, and yf-21. It's the unofficial macross "Elite counter-giant, anti-qrau fighting force" for use at night and to sneak aboard rogue zentradi ships for those close range silent kills. :D

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Well I for one think Hikaru's VF-1S paint scheme is a nice variant.

Everyone always gets Roy's scheme.

So from my POV, it's a nice dictinction from everyone else.

Having watched DYRL before seeing the TV series, I'm far more a fan of Hikaru's VF-1S color scheme than I am of Roys.

Graham

Having watched DYRL before seeing the TV series, I'm far more a fan of Hikaru's VF-1S color scheme than I am of Roys.

Graham

So looks like I have the G-man himself supporting Hikaru's VF-1S paint scheme as being just as nice or even better tham Roy's. :D

EDIT : Spelling

Back on the YF-19, heres a couple of pics of mine with some of Takatoys stickers applied.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

EDIT : Pics added.

Edited by Lonewolf

This is a bit of a longshot.... but has anybody parted out a YF-19 who might be willing to sell me some pieces? Mine just suffered fatal battle damage on its first transformation - when I snapped the neck down as per Graham's video, it snapped clean off! Now my $200 paperweight is in two pieces.... is there any chance somebody might have a spare cockpit/nose for sale, or even just the gray piece that attaches to its underside via twin screws and incorporates the plastic pins on which the nose pivots?

Thanks,

DG

This is a bit of a longshot.... but has anybody parted out a YF-19 who might be willing to sell me some pieces? Mine just suffered fatal battle damage on its first transformation - when I snapped the neck down as per Graham's video, it snapped clean off! Now my $200 paperweight is in two pieces.... is there any chance somebody might have a spare cockpit/nose for sale, or even just the gray piece that attaches to its underside via twin screws and incorporates the plastic pins on which the nose pivots?

Thanks,

DG

i parted one out a couple of weeks ago. i sold the entire fuselage section to Kicker773, maybe he has some spare parts that might help? try shooting him a PM.

Thanks,

DG

Have you tried contacting your seller, maybe he can replace it if it's a manufacturing flaw or something.

I bought mine from BBTS.com and they sometime offer replacement depending of the case.

Have you tried contacting your seller, maybe he can replace it if it's a manufacturing flaw or something.

I bought mine from BBTS.com and they sometime offer replacement depending of the case.

I can try, but I bought it for cash from a vendor at the NYC Comiccon - might have a hard time getting them to accomodate....

I can try, but I bought it for cash from a vendor at the NYC Comiccon - might have a hard time getting them to accomodate....

they're probably not going to do anything for you...most NYC stores in general will tell you to f-off. "you bought it and you broke it, its not our fault, thank you, come again"

Thanks,

DG

I'd say just wait and keep an eye out for spare parts.

What exactly snapped? Was it a hinge or one of the tan tabs? If it was a hinge, you could be in luck since someone here (can't remember atm) snapped their 19's tan tabs off and might be willing to sell you the hinge. Try posting in the Wanted Section for spare parts :)