macross Series on DVD

eight_car

Because that's what it is in Japanese: リガード. Rigaado is the romanization in modified Hepburn.

The mildly amusing thing is that on pg. 168, of Macross Perfect Memory, next to the Japanese katakana, is 'Regult' in big, block letters. I am, once again, impressed by the language translating abilities of Animeigo.

I thought Harmony Gold mandated certain translations/spellings in the Animeigo DVD set so as not to confuse it with their Robotech release.

I don't think anyone was ever going to confuse Regult or Reguld with "battlepod"

I thought I remember Regult being used in one of the Robotech episodes as a PA announcement or something. Then again, its been nearly 20 years since I watched Robotech! :lol:

From a collecting standpoint are the Animeigo DVD's and boxed sets becoming rare?

That first pressing? Yes. That pressing is becoming rare but not so rare that it's not impossible to find individual DVDs or mini-boxsets.

I got mine at AX this year. I even had Imagawa sign it. This kind of sucks since I intend to get one of the Macross World boxes eventually.

I find it amusing that a little research completely 180's the opinion of this thread. I also find it amusing that people thought that set was ADV's, since I first saw that set at Ani-magic 2005, before ADV even started releasing their DVDs. It's Animeigo's leftover stock. HG just repackaged it in a new box. Why would ADV release two versions?

Boy Area 88, you sure are on a lot of my forums.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

I find it amusing that a little research completely 180's the opinion of this thread. I also find it amusing that people thought that set was ADV's, since I first saw that set at Ani-magic 2005, before ADV even started releasing their DVDs. It's Animeigo's leftover stock. HG just repackaged it in a new box. Why would ADV release two versions?

That's because A) many of us have the Animeigo set, B) the ADV set was the one most of us have heard about after the Animeigo set went out of production and C) The repackaged Animeigo set is only being sold on RT.com. All other retailers are selling the ADV set.

That's because A) many of us have the Animeigo set, B) the ADV set was the one most of us have heard about after the Animeigo set went out of production and C) The repackaged Animeigo set is only being sold on RT.com. All other retailers are selling the ADV set.

I figured as much. Though They were at conventions. Still, at least the confusion's cleared up. B))

For those of you that ordered, did you get an email congirmation or anything? I ordered mine late Sat. night but I haven't recieved an email confirmation. I hate it when this happens because I don't have any info on my purchase now.

Chris

For those of you that ordered, did you get an email congirmation or anything? I ordered mine late Sat. night but I haven't recieved an email confirmation. I hate it when this happens because I don't have any info on my purchase now.

Chris

I got an e-mail confirmation about an hour later, but I ordered on a weekday. Hopefully, you get a confirmation today.

Yup checked my Spam box, nothing there either. I did call their customer service number today, and they looked up my order and said it was being shippied out today. So all is well, just hate it when I don't get a confirmation though!

Chris

The box art is classy; I never owned the original Animeigo set, so i'm not sure if this is just repackaged left overs or a full re-release but i notice the plastic on the interior of the disks is cheap (even removing them super carefully still seems to pick up some fine stress). I recall this being a problem on the original so i'm going to guess it's repackaged left overs.

In any case, this is the first time my wife has watched Macross (she always nagged what the "big deal" was) and after the first 5 episodes she LOVES it. Now i can't get her to stop watching it; we've only had the set for about a week and we're over half way through the series. I have converted a non-believer, so now she doesn't mind me making a few extra Yamato purchases here and there. :p

Her opinion is interesting, because eventhough the "love triangle" isn't really in full force, she wants Hikaru to go for Misa (she has no idea the outcome since i won't tell her). Her perspective is that Minmay doesn't know what she wants and Hikaru hooking up with an older chick is hot... maybe they had women in mind when writing the "romantic" side of it.

Just got mine! I agree, the exterior box is simple and classy (except for the big Harmony Gold logo on top :p ). The inner case covers (front and back) look just like the old Animeigo ones shown here.

My only gripe is that there's a tiny 2-3 mm tear at the top front of the individual case slip-in covers for discs 1-3. And yes, the inner plastic of the DVDs look very shoddy. I think I'll take all the discs out and store them in a soft sleeve case.

My only gripe is that there's a tiny 2-3 mm tear at the top front of the individual case slip-in covers for discs 1-3.

I fortunately only had that happen to one of my covers (disk 2 slip cover) due to the title tape for the indivdual DVD packaging. You'd figure if they give it to you in a boxset there'd be no need to individually wrap them.

So would you say the best bet would be to try and get the older set and imediately copy to DVD thereby getting the better sound and having a set that won't crack?

I would. ^_^

The Animeigo set was a treasure when first released because it was fully sound/video remastered and had the best subtitles. And it was, finally, a proper North American release of the original SDF Macross.

Now, the series is seeing release from ADV in a cost effective format that takes all the work done from the Animeigo release, adds a new dub (regardless of lacking quality IMO) and includes more special features.

Basically, the Animeigo set was a one time, produced-to-cash-in-on-demand-release. Compared to the ADV set, it's not worth anyone's time unless you can find it cheap. The ADV set will also be the release that will be transferred to the next video format.

It's sad but true. The Animeigo release is second rate now :(

I respectfully disagree, but perhaps I am biase somewhat b/c I was among the early people who help drive the online petition and preordered the first box set dvd editions. I don't have any problems whatsoever with my set, no cracking or damage and the box is is fab condition too. Still I don't care much about the special features unless it includes some we find on youtube like the anniversary chronology and interviews w/staff, rare design art/cel work, and behind the scenes from pre-production and production of the tv series.

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

I would. ^_^

I respectfully disagree, but perhaps I am biase somewhat b/c I was among the early people who help drive the online petition and preordered the first box set dvd editions. I don't have any problems whatsoever with my set, no cracking or damage and the box is is fab condition too. Still I don't care much about the special features unless it includes some we find on youtube like the anniversary chronology and interviews w/staff, rare design art/cel work, and behind the scenes from pre-production and production of the tv series.

In Mr. March's defense, these were all statements made before it was discovered that the rt.com $40 set was in fact the repackaged animeigo box set; originally assumed to be the ADV set of which this argument was based on.

I am tempted to buy the repackaged AnimEigo Macross set for $40.00 but it sounds like the discs have cracking issues like the initial set, which I already own. I may purchase this for the price but it looks like I will probably have to make back-up discs for my current slightly cracked set. Quel dommage...

Edited by wishbone

So we agree that the AnimEigo dvd sets are not second rate, correct? I love mine which should be obvious. ^_^

emajnthis is correct (and my thanks to him). Based on the information that was revealed through discussion, it's now clear that the Animeigo set is still the definitive release. I had yet to see the ADV set and based upon just initial reviews I read upon release, I had assumed that the video and sound were top notch. Since learning otherwise, the Animeigo set is obviously superior. and at such a low cost, it's impossible to go wrong.

Just for the record, I am one of the MacrossWorld members who purchased the original one-box Animeigo DVD set for the whopping $250. I've also never had a problem with these "cracked discs" and other assorted QC problems that others have posted over the years. The set is as perfect as the day I purchased it.

I think i also forgot to mention that the ADV discs have compression artifacts since they tried to squeeze to many episodes with extras on to a disc.

So Animeigo set even after all this time still wins in the Video, Audio and Extras department.

Also here are a list of the hidden extras in the Animeigo set:

. On all volumes of Macross, go to "Settings" then highlight "Subtitles Off/Japanese Audio" and go left. The highlight will disappear. Hit enter and you'll be taken to a test pattern.

. On disk nine of the Macross box set there's a hidden slideshow of 52 character and mecha designs. You can access it by going to the settings menu then go to the main menu button and press down and then enter. Set back and enjoy the slide show.

.On DVD #8 when the main menu loads up press the "8" button on your DVD remote control and a music video comes on.

. On DVD #9 for MACROSS TV, there is a third audio track with a second subtitle track which is an interview with the creator of MACROSS TV series. It starts on episode 35 and finishes on episode 36.

. On the main menu, keep episode "Lonely Song" highlighted, hit left on the remote or on a keyboard, and hit enter.

Edited by Area88

I think i also forgot to mention that the ADV discs have compression artifacts since they tried to squeeze to many episodes with extras on to a disc.

Does the Animeigo set come on DVD-5s (single-layer discs) or DVD-9s (dual-layer discs)?

BTW Area88, thanks for posting about the Robotech.com boxset bargain on animeuknews, I wouldn't have known otherwise and was going to wait for the ADV thinpak boxset (which will probably be out in late 2007, history dictates). It's sad that those close-minded ignorant fools treated you so poorly over there.

Does the Animeigo set come on DVD-5s (single-layer discs) or DVD-9s (dual-layer discs)?

Single-layer.

It was their last release with their old authoring house(who weren't equipped for dual-layer), presumably because they didn't want such a high-profile release to be used as a "test" for the new dual-layer guys.

presumably because they didn't want such a high-profile release to be used as a "test" for the new dual-layer guys.

Or possibly because they wanted to squeeze more money out of people, since DVD-5's hold less. Those Animeigo sets did cost a pretty penny back in the day...

Have people bought from this site before? Is he safe and reliable?

Absolutely. I purchased two Macross DVD cases from him and was one of the first to buy when the project was completed. I've also purchased several movie cases for both myself and as gifts for friends. Paul is incredibly fast, friendly and priced fairly.

Or possibly because they wanted to squeeze more money out of people, since DVD-5's hold less. Those Animeigo sets did cost a pretty penny back in the day...

I apologise for this comment, I hadn't realised that they would've spent several thousand on remastering the show and such practices would've been justified to recoup their investment.

Anyway, did Animeigo remaster the show into High Definition?