macross Series on DVD

eight_car

I apologise for this comment, I hadn't realised that they would've spent several thousand on remastering the show and such practices would've been justified to recoup their investment.

Anyway, did Animeigo remaster the show into High Definition?

The AnimeEigo set was made long before this recent HD craze.

And correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't HD be pretty useless on cartoons?

The AnimeEigo set was made long before this recent HD craze.

Thanks.

And correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't HD be pretty useless on cartoons?

AFAIK HG's Macross is on 35mm film right? Celluloid film has a higher resolution than HD so in theory anything on 35mm or better should be able to benefit from HD.

SD transfers (eg DVD) downscaled from an HD source also look benefit. Eg potentially more detail is captured in the transfer.

Edited by EvaUnit02

Thanks.

AFAIK HG's Macross is on 35mm film right? Celluloid film has a higher resolution than HD so in theory anything on 35mm or better should be able to benefit from HD.

SD transfers (eg DVD) downscaled from an HD source also look benefit. Eg potentially more detail is captured in the transfer.

The quality of the source print will determine how well the HD transfer would be. Since HG has never really invested much of anything into their anime shows, it is doubtful they even have a decent print of the series. The only reason the ADV release looks so good is because of the efforts of Animeigo.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't they use 16mm stock for TV animation? 35mm would be pretty expensive for a weekly show.

The quality of the source print will determine how well the HD transfer would be. Since HG has never really invested much of anything into their anime shows, it is doubtful they even have a decent print of the series. The only reason the ADV release looks so good is because of the efforts of Animeigo.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't they use 16mm stock for TV animation? 35mm would be pretty expensive for a weekly show.

16mm is probably the more used standard for animation (and many many many other productions, although, I'm leaning toward something between 8-16mm).

Overall, HD would only be ideal for more current shows (late 1990s till now). It's hard to say with older series.

Well then, given this new information, I'd have to say go with the Animeigo set. The reissue is cheap and the audio is far superior apparently. Learn something new everyday :)

Yeah, I can confirm (yet again?) that the Animeigo Japanese soundtrack is far superior to the one on the ADV release. As has already been said, the ADV one has much more hiss and is far less vibrant.

I actually just finished buying the ADV ones because some day I may want an english dub for little ones. But, having just tried to watch "Love Slips Away". . . I just couldn't get over how badly they've managled not only the voices on the english dub, but the sound effects as well. They have added a lot of generic sci-fi sounds that are just totally out of place. . . such as an accompanying generic "peeyow" along with every earth shattering blast as they impact during the "rain of death."

And, don't get me started on the original "buzzsaw" sound of Valkryie gunpods being replaced with a generic G.I. Joe "laser gun" sound.

$39 for the Animeigo set with that very nice box? I'm all over it.

Yeah, I can confirm (yet again?) that the Animeigo Japanese soundtrack is far superior to the one on the ADV release. As has already been said, the ADV one has much more hiss and is far less vibrant.

I actually just finished buying the ADV ones because some day I may want an english dub for little ones. But, having just tried to watch "Love Slips Away". . . I just couldn't get over how badly they've managled not only the voices on the english dub, but the sound effects as well. They have added a lot of generic sci-fi sounds that are just totally out of place. . . such as an accompanying generic "peeyow" along with every earth shattering blast as they impact during the "rain of death."

And, don't get me started on the original "buzzsaw" sound of Valkryie gunpods being replaced with a generic G.I. Joe "laser gun" sound.

$39 for the Animeigo set with that very nice box? I'm all over it.

Good point on the sound effects Hurin. Of all the things that bug me about the dubbed version, that right there is what annoys me the most! To put it bluntly the sound effects suck big time! Some of the voices or the words they put in character's mouthes are bad enough, but that laser sound for the gun pod, arrgh. :blink:

I'm really shocked. Even now. I don't understand why the ADV release wouldn't use really good quality audio. Just seems like such a waste. But it's good to know this and have it confirmed by several reputable members.

Good point on the sound effects Hurin. Of all the things that bug me about the dubbed version, that right there is what annoys me the most! To put it bluntly the sound effects suck big time! Some of the voices or the words they put in character's mouthes are bad enough, but that laser sound for the gun pod, arrgh. :blink:

Whoa, missed this the first read-through. That's terrible. The gunpod sound is one of the best sound effects of the show!

Well, seeing as the Animeigo release is still the Ultimate release, I decided to splurge a bit on the repackaged one at the RT store to supplement my original Animeigos. HG can have my money as long as they keep doing stuff like this. . . and I figure buying pure Macross stuff from them might encourage them indulge us with more Animeigo-like projects in the future.

Thought you guys might want a shot of the box from every angle. I'm actually quite impressed! And, as you can see, there is no doubt that these are just the original (and wonderful!) Animeigo DVDs inside. I'm sure you Animeigo owners will recognize each of the individual cases.

I'm probably not even going to break the plastic seal on this boxset unless something happens to my other one. For only $39, it was easier than backing them up myself!

The artwork is very high quality. The reflections coming from the clear plastic wrap and my camera flash make it look more washed out than it actually is!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I can forgive the big HG logo on the top (obscured by glare and reflections in images). . . since there is not one single mention of Robotech on that box as far as I can see!

Best,

H

I usually stay as far away from anything that HG touches which is why I am asking... is this in English? And if so, are the voices from the same cast that did them for RT?

The ones in the images I just posted are the HG rerelease of the original Animeigo remastering which are not in english. But it has very good english subtitles.

The only Macross english dub (not including Robotech) is the one recently released by ADV. The ADV release makes use of the same video as the Animeigo remastering, but unfortunately made a lot of changes to the sound effects for the english track. To make matters worse, if you wanted to then just watch the japanese track with the original sound effects (with english subtitles), they also used an inferior japanese language track when compared to the original Animeigo remastering.

All of this means: If you want/need an english dub and are willing to overlook the way they've replaced the super-cool Macross sound effects with something more appropriate for G.I. Joe, then go with the ADV set. But if you want Macross as it was originally aired with original sound effects (presented in a better japanese track than the optional one on the ADV release) and excellent english subtitles, go with Animeigo (either in its original 'plain black box' incarnation or in its spiffier form at robotech.com).

Just made an entry about this on Macross Nexus. The $39 price for what was once a $200 set deserves some attention! Especially since it's the best "archival quality" set of the original Japanese (w/ english subtitles) SDF Macross we're ever likely to see.

I bought them all and I plan to ebay it to all of you guys at $250!!! MWUHAHAHAHAHHA!!!

you lie! I bought 200k worth and have them stashed in a special stasis chamber buried in my backyard. I'll sell them to you guys in 20 years at 10x the cost! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

And no, I won't take pictures to prove my claim... because.. uhm.. the flash would disrupt the stasis field... :unsure:

Being someone who spent $250 on the Animego set when it came out all those years ago I am a little concerned on the DVD cracking issue I keep reading about, how true is this?? If true what is the cause and does the set currently available on robothech.com have the same issues?

Being someone who spent $250 on the Animego set when it came out all those years ago I am a little concerned on the DVD cracking issue I keep reading about, how true is this?? If true what is the cause and does the set currently available on robothech.com have the same issues?

I think they're the exact same DVDs. I don't own both, just the Rt.com version, but the inner-boxes look just like the Animeigo release so I imagine the DVDs inside are the same also.

Use this knowledge only for good, not for evil: :mellow:

There is absolutely no copy protection on the Animeigo DVDs and they are only single-layer. So, you can back up your Animeigo DVDs using just about any blank DVD and any DVD copying software. Just make sure that you choose a type of blank DVD (DVD+R or DVD-R) that your home DVD player can play.

That Animego set from RT is AWESOME!!!!!!

I started to watch it saturday (first weekend day) after I recieved it and couldn't bring myself to stop until I ran through the complete show. I started watching in the afternoon and wasn't finished to the early morning.

A few notes:

On the opening disclaimer screen, i.e. "It is illegal to loan, copy, import, export, look at us crosseyed, etc." they do mention HG and at the bottom of that screen it says for more info visit robotech.com. So they do mention it on all the disks once in case anyone is interested

Truly awesome sound and great subtitling.

Yeah, keep them. You may be able to get a friend interested in Macross easier if you show him/her the English ones if they are adverse to subtitling. After a while, they will see subtitles are better.

(It took me a while to learn that lesson, so I can't really throw stones at the dub fans! lol )

eight_car Posted Today, 01:25 AM

(It took me a while to learn that lesson, so I can't really throw stones at the dub fans! lol )

Are there any serious fans of the dub out there? If there are, I failed to notice any. The only advantage I can see for the dub is as a draw for those who don't like reading subtitles.

Are there any serious fans of the dub out there? If there are, I failed to notice any. The only advantage I can see for the dub is as a draw for those who don't like reading subtitles.

I am angry at myself for even buying the ADV dub. It is beyond suck, The only saving grace is that Mari Iijima is in it, but every thing else is terrible. I swear the choice in words that ADV used is the worst possible. I could not believe that I heard the words metro-sexual and poindexter used in the same episode. The sound effects for the most part are pulled directly from GI JOE. I could go on and on. :angry:

I am angry at myself for even buying the ADV dub. It is beyond suck, The only saving grace is that Mari Iijima is in it, but every thing else is terrible. I swear the choice in words that ADV used is the worst possible. I could not believe that I heard the words metro-sexual and poindexter used in the same episode. The sound effects for the most part are pulled directly from GI JOE. I could go on and on. :angry:

Can I get an ay-ah-men-ah!?!

I rest my case on this sucker. The more people that post to this thread the more convinced I become that ADV could not have done a worse job on this dub if they screwed it up on purpose. Did they? :angry:

I've been ignoring this thread for some time...just finished reading through it all. Like many of you here, I bought my set directly from AnimEigo. However, after reading all of your guys' posts...I just bought the $40 repackaged AnimEigo set from Robotech.com. This set I won't be opening.

That aside, I was actually interested in seeing the dubbed version of Macross...that is till I read your guys' posts. I may as well just buy the rest of the Robotech: Macross Saga DVDs if I'm that in need of watching a dubbed release.

On a side not...going off topic here. Is the Macross Plus: Movie Edition from Manga worth the $30? I live in the States and I'm not too sure what other versions I could get that may or may not be better than that Manga version. (I know I've asked this before and my question was answered once before, but I'm pretty sure that was on the old message board.)

Edited by Oihan