Wave High advancd Model 1/5000 DYRL SDF-1 Diecast!

xstoys

I wouldn't go THAT far, but I do agree that it does seem overpriced :p

haha, i tend to over-exaggerate things don't i. :p

i think its cool a company other than yamato put out a macross toy but its clearly not a good deal at even $108 which is the price graham paid. the more i think about it, i feel the box cost more than toy itself.....and BTW, thats more over exaggeration on my part. :lol:

Edited by do not disturb

Man that's disappointing, the pic next to the 1/48 valk was the dealbreaker for me. I just canceled my pre-order.

I measured it up before, but it looks so tiny next to the valk.

Well that did it for me too. I just canceled my pre-order. I was hoping for at least

a significant die-cast content also but since its not there...Not gonna do it.

ts a shame , I was really looking forward to this. :(

I only transformed it was once last night. Transformation is pretty simple, but does have a few more steps than the old Takatou SDF-1 toys.

Good news is the elbow parts are nice and tight, so the ARMD carriers can hold a pose easily. No floppiness at all. The ARMD carriers are also removable

Paint application and detail is good for the size, I'd give it 4.5 out of 5. Parts fit is also good, but only gets 4 out of 5 as the main gun halves do not lock together that well in Cruiser mode on mine. The rest of the parts do lock together pretty well though.

A pretty nice toy, but very small, and really IMO only worth half the price. However, Macross is a niche market and prooduction runs of Macross toys are always tiny compared to popular lines like Gundam & Transformers, so economies of scale come into play and the manufacturer has to sell higher to recover their costs. Despite the price, I aplude Wave for getting into Macross toys and hope we see more offerings from them. The more the merrier I say.

BTW, Noel called me last night to say that his shop 'Action HQ' is selling the Wave SDF-1 for HK$730.00 (US$93.59).

Graham

post-11-1170127096_thumb.jpg

post-11-1170127111_thumb.jpg

post-11-1170127125_thumb.jpg

Ugh ... pre-order cancelled. What a shame.

It'd be reasonable at half the price for something that size. Unless they're only making a few dozen of them (hand assembled by magic elves out of solid gold), this smacks of milking the fanbase, regardless of what a niche market Macross is.

Maybe Yamato make a grown-up sized one for the rest of us for the 25th anniversary.

Well the amount of diecast didn't pan out, and just how small 24cm is is really starting to show (not a lot of macro in that macross...). Definitely overpriced and glad only ordered the one.

Will still get it purely because there is no real alternative anywhere near the same quality for the moment and because I'd probably regret it later if I didn't.

Asides from size, it is still an impressive looking piece with decent build quality, but overall am pretty disappointed, especially about the diecast. Was hoping there would be more to justify the price :(.

Plus it's gonna have to be really, really good for me to get anything with the word "WHAM!" on it. Hey, Graham, do you want us to wake you up before you go go? :p

You'll have to lock the display cabinet to make sure it doesn't start hanging out in public toilets :ph34r:

Wow. looking at the pics from Graham, $100 USD for that? Are you kidding? I mean I can pay that same amount for matchbox SDF-1. And the size! Two pen lengths? I dunno. I am really not sure I want it now. Good thing I didnt pre-order it. I mean it looks great but the price point is the deal killer for me. If I can get ti cheap when I go back to Shanghai, then maybe...

Hi, has there been an explicit rundown of the diecast in the toy yet? I don't mean 'seems light' or 'seems heavy', but an actual list of where the diecast is, and how much in each place.

I assume Graham will include that in his comprehensive review, but I'm wondering if we already know..

Thanks

for those interested heres what the site says:

Wave High Advanced Model 1/5000 SDF-1 Macross

Availability:

Available now and was added to our catalog on:

Sunday 28 January, 2007.

This is the Macross SDF-1 ship in 1/5000 scale as a Chogokin toy!

ABS & Die-cast metal content.

Transformable from Cruiser mode to Fortress mode!

Item #: 2606

Manufacturer: Wave

Item price:

US$139.95

Thats kinda where my thinking is right now.

buy this now or buy more Yammies that are coming down the line.

if this were all die-cast or at least had 80% metal in it then Ok but

knowing that its mostly plastic I cant justify it. I waiting for the SV-51 ,

Shin VF-OA and other stuff and I still need a few things that have already come out.

You know what, at least now i know i won't have to look hard to get one since you are all cancelling you orders. I am going to get one very soon, screw waiting around, cause you never know if another comes from another company.

You know what, at least now i know i won't have to look hard to get one since you are all cancelling you orders. I am going to get one very soon, screw waiting around, cause you never know if another comes from another company.

Kinda strange, HLJ has it as discontinued. Must be an error. http://www.hlj.com/product/WAVMC-41

I agree