rubber pilots + cockpit = not so good

do not disturb

a while back i traded some valks with another member here and for whatever reason, the paint from the cockpit seat came off and ended up on pilots ass. well i thought it was a one time thing, then the other night while messing around displaying my stuff, i took the pilot figures out of the cockpits and sure enough, the paint from the cockpit seat came off again...WTF? :blink: so i thought i'd check a couple of my other valks that had pilots sitting in them and sure enough some of the paint came off those as well. :(

now i usually don't keep the pilot figures in the valks(i'm just weird like that) so i can't say for sure which ones are bad/good but so far, the CF pilots seem to be the worst(2 of them had a lot of paint on their butts as well as my TV hikaru but not as bad), while all the plastic DYRL pilots were completely unaffected.

i'm not sure why this is happening?, but i assume that some chemical in the rubber pilot is reacting with the paint and causing the properties of the paint to change and adhere to the rubber pilot. i'm not sure if this has happened to anyone else but i thought i'd give everyone a heads up just in case.

It almost sounds like the rubber is bleeding into the paint. If that's the case - sorry. You might be able to clear coat them (flat prefferably). If the rubber itself is the cause, then it's coming from the inside out and you're best off buying an aftermarket figure (bug EXO about it). I've had improperly cured resin do that. You clean it up, paint it, and watch your work melt away after the resin bleeds out days later - in a cold enviroment at that! Like eugimon suggested, make sure they're not in the sun - unless you like the color yellow :) . Hope that helps. - MT

It almost sounds like the rubber is bleeding into the paint. If that's the case - sorry. You might be able to clear coat them (flat prefferably). If the rubber itself is the cause, then it's coming from the inside out and you're best off buying an aftermarket figure (bug EXO about it). I've had improperly cured resin do that. You clean it up, paint it, and watch your work melt away after the resin bleeds out days later - in a cold enviroment at that! Like eugimon suggested, make sure they're not in the sun - unless you like the color yellow :) . Hope that helps. - MT

If they're all doing it then it has more to do with humidity than a bad run of rubber. I dont sell recast figures but I'm going to start sculpting 1/48 scale characters.

Rubber has an amazing ability to "eat" other substances. Certainly plastic, but don't know much about paint. But paint and plastic can be quite similar chemically, so...

(FYI, the tires on LEGO wheels will often partially dissolve the wheel, if you let them sit there long enough)

Most of the stuff that we call rubber is actually plastic mixed with a plasticizer. This allows the plastic to be softer like rubber. These are usually organic, lipophilic compounds that over time can leached out of the plastic and dissolve other things like paint which is made up mostly of organic polymers.

vinnie

PS: Incidentally, should check out the estrogen pollution theory concerning plasticizers...

Edited by justvinnie

If there is a problem with the gummy pilots reacting and/or adhering to the paint in the seats, the easiest solution would be to just put a small piece of translucent scotch tape on the pilot's ass to isolate it from the painted surface. That will prevent the two trouble surfaces from contacting each other and the low tackiness of the tape won't harm the pilot, and it's plastic side should be completely non-reactive with the paint on the seat.

none of my stuff is near a window, let alone in direct sunlight....i ain't crazy. i have a air purifier and an ionic breeze i keep in the same room to keep my stuff clean and to prevent anything bad from happening. the only pilot figures i keep in the cockpit are the ones displayed in gerwalk or fighter modes.

heres the rundown...

the 3 LV pilots seem to be fine but i took them out anyway just in case.

the plastic pilot figs(DYRL) ones are fine, excluding 1S hikaru pilot figure.

out of the the 6 CF i have 2 are bad, but only 2 were left seated in the valk so i'm not sure about the others?

1 TV hikaru has paint on its elbow and butt.

i removed the rest of my pilot figures when i first TF'ed my valks to display battroid mode so there no telling which ones are bad?

note: the paint comes right off the pilots butt, its not permanent. the seat where the paint came off is white(original plastic color before it was painted by yamato) and needs to be touched up or replaced.

a while back i traded some valks with another member here and for whatever reason, the paint from the cockpit seat came off and ended up on pilots ass. well i thought it was a one time thing, then the other night while messing around displaying my stuff, i took the pilot figures out of the cockpits and sure enough, the paint from the cockpit seat came off again...WTF? :blink: so i thought i'd check a couple of my other valks that had pilots sitting in them and sure enough some of the paint came off those as well. :(

now i usually don't keep the pilot figures in the valks(i'm just weird like that) so i can't say for sure which ones are bad/good but so far, the CF pilots seem to be the worst(2 of them had a lot of paint on their butts as well as my TV hikaru but not as bad), while all the plastic DYRL pilots were completely unaffected.

i'm not sure why this is happening?, but i assume that some chemical in the rubber pilot is reacting with the paint and causing the properties of the paint to change and adhere to the rubber pilot. i'm not sure if this has happened to anyone else but i thought i'd give everyone a heads up just in case.

Pics :unsure::o ???

Yeah like Vinnie and Dave were saying. I've got some of the original Patlabor models that the rubber melted the styrene wherever it touched it. Stupid polymers! I think there's something to the chilli theory though... :) - MT

So I went to check on my valk pilots and I was shocked to find Max & Miria doing unspeakable things! Apparently Max is wearing green protection...

IPB Image

Eh, just foolin' around, I checked three valks that have had their pilots in them the entire time and no fudged pants. I wonder if it's just the CFs or somethin'?

Edited by jenius

• 2 weeks later...

You should all remember that its MOSTLY the CF right? THe fact alone that they are CF pilots is reason enuff that they poo in their pants, heck its pure luck that they even made it back hehe

- Jin

You want to add the Angelbird to that list. Unfortunately my pilot has the same problem. :(