The PlayStation 3 Thread!

Apollo Leader

I've never liked the Virtua Fighter Franchise, it was always too catered to the amateur button masher unlike the Tekken and just recently Soul Calibur Franchise (which dramatically changed in the last few offerings). Plus the characters are bland and the fighting engine is nowhere near as engaging as Dead Or Alive; this game definitely doesn't make me wanna jump on the PS3. When the newest Tekken or Capcom offering gets released, then i'll think about saving my pennies.

Most people say Tekken and especially SC are the button mashers lol. Actually I've always been more of a Tekken fan than VF. VF5 will keep me busy until the PS3 Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection download comes out.

And while I like DOA, its broken fighting engine is a joke compared to Tekken or VF. I do agree though that VF roster is quite vanilla.

after reading bad reviews of Gundam, I haven't bothered with the PS3.

Got one on launch day, sold it, then picked up another one, and it's still sitting in the closet unopened. I was looking at RFOM, but I still haven't finished Gears of War on the 360 yet. I bought an LCD HD TV, so now I can play Dead Rising like it was meant to be played :)

I will probably hook up the PS3 on Xmas. I just bought some HDMI cables. It was cheaper to get 3 of them, even though I only need one. Guess I will find more uses later on.

There is no launch PS3 game that is wowing me at the moment.

...plus I ain't lining up overnight to get a bloody game console.

I guess you were just lucky with the PS3 then? 'Congrats...

I've never liked the Virtua Fighter Franchise, it was always too catered to the amateur button masher unlike the Tekken and just recently Soul Calibur Franchise (which dramatically changed in the last few offerings). Plus the characters are bland and the fighting engine is nowhere near as engaging as Dead Or Alive; this game definitely doesn't make me wanna jump on the PS3. When the newest Tekken or Capcom offering gets released, then i'll think about saving my pennies.

Virtua Fighter is about as far away from button masher as you can get. All the other 3D fighters are nowhere in it's league truthfully. That's prob why it loses some appeal...the game is deeper than most all fighting games combined.

Finally, I managed to get one (the bundle pack) from Costco.com.

Now I'm debating of whether I should open it or sell it since I don't have a plasma tv :wacko:

Well in opinion, I would. I didn't hesitate with the Wii knowing that I would make a profit selling it.

But the PS3 being next to me for a week and posting on these forums just irritates the crap out of me since its going to some one in desperate need of it.

It's up to you if your going to enjoy it whether you got HD or no.

I can guaruntee you 90% of the eventual PS3 owners won't have HD TV's. I know I won't, technology isn't where I want it to be yet.

Of course I also don't really support the whole process of buying just to sell at profit anyway, but that's a whole different discussion. I say play with it.

I never thought I'd see the day where 1080i would no longer be king o' of the hill. Anyway, "p" is just a higher form of resolution, and you should be able to select a lower setting for your player; of course that sort of defeats the point of owning a Blu-Ray player, doesn't it?

I've got a question the Blue Ray dvd player. The instruction says it output with HDMI at 1080p. My tv is older and only support 1080i, do I have a problem?

I may be mistaken but I read on another forum that the PS3 is currently downscaling for non 1080P HDTV's to 720P instead of 1080i as it is meant to, and there is a system patch coming to fix this.

Basically you don't have a problem, but you aren't going to get the "full, top of the line" HD experience. Personally, I when I was shopping for my HDTV I went in to a Best Buy and they had two identicle set ups in he store, they had two LG LCD TV's side by side, one running a Blu Ray disk at 1080P and the one next to it running an HD-DVD at 1080i with them right next to each other, showign the same movie synced up pretty damn close you can tell a difference, it is slight but you can tell. Now if you turn the sets facing away from each other and have to walk back and forth and look at them, you really have a hard time telling the difference on a film.

Bascially, my point is that the difference is negligible to most people and you shouldn't lose any sleep over it, also remember that there is nothing broadcast, nor will there be for some time in 1080P, it is going to be solely the realm of Blue-Ray Discs and PS3 games for some time to come. Have they even announced 108oP movie releases on HD-DVD yet?

for ANYONE THAT OWNS a PS3, did any of you pickup the Jap Armored Core 4? It was just released yesterday. And there's no region protection. I might have to bite the bullet and pickup the import version until the US ones comes out next year... I need a robot fix.

I may be mistaken but I read on another forum that the PS3 is currently downscaling for non 1080P HDTV's to 720P instead of 1080i as it is meant to, and there is a system patch coming to fix this.

Basically you don't have a problem, but you aren't going to get the "full, top of the line" HD experience. Personally, I when I was shopping for my HDTV I went in to a Best Buy and they had two identicle set ups in he store, they had two LG LCD TV's side by side, one running a Blu Ray disk at 1080P and the one next to it running an HD-DVD at 1080i with them right next to each other, showign the same movie synced up pretty damn close you can tell a difference, it is slight but you can tell. Now if you turn the sets facing away from each other and have to walk back and forth and look at them, you really have a hard time telling the difference on a film.

Bascially, my point is that the difference is negligible to most people and you shouldn't lose any sleep over it, also remember that there is nothing broadcast, nor will there be for some time in 1080P, it is going to be solely the realm of Blue-Ray Discs and PS3 games for some time to come. Have they even announced 108oP movie releases on HD-DVD yet?

PS3's will output at 1080i for the Blu-ray player, or 720p, but you have to set the res manually. If you have it set as 1080i highest res, it will default to that.

1080p is the standard res for Blu-ray and HD DVD. The discs are all encoded for 1080p. The first HD DVD players didn't output at 1080p though. The discs will show 1080p if you have a player that outputs it as such, and a display that will accept a 1080p signal and not just display it a a native 1080p res.

Hehe...

Just yesterday all the Sony setup PS3 are crashing at the mall. It's funny since the employment can't open it up to reset it, it's locked a vault or something since one employee at Circuit City was saying that their PS3 was crashing all day. :lol:

I'm not saying this as a bad thing, but they could at least have a button connecting to the system itself.

My guess it's overheating itself in it's display unit. That happens to a bunch of PCs we have at work.

My 360 gets really hot. I have it behind a glass door, but when we use it, we have to leave the door open for ventilation. I still haven't opened up my second PS3 yet. I will probably set it up somewhere not behind a door. There is just no game out I want to play, so I haven't opened it. I'm still playing GoW, H2, Dead Rising on the 360 and FF12 on the PS2. I guess I could play FF12 on the PS3, but that requires I either start over, or fork some money over to buy a transfer thing to transfer my memory card saves over.

then again, I was playing Mechwarrior on my PC today instead of the PS2 or 360.

I finally got my 60GB this last Monday. Right place at the right at Target, when they were restocking in the morning.

Blu-ray player works great. Easily as good as my 360 HD-DVD add-on, if not better. VERY responsive and fast... no more than 10 seconds to start a movie from inserted disc in standby mode to play. Remote commands are very fast. Bitrate meter and visible audio/video codecs are great for the geek factor on the Display.

I picked up 2 games (Resistance and NBA07) and 2 Blu-ray movies (Stealth - sucky movie but great visuals and X-men 3, which joined Kingdom of Heaven and Black Hawk Down which I already owned in anticipation). I've since followed with Monster House, as well. Joining my 7 HD-DVD's for the 360 add-on, I'm finally making some headway against my self-imposed moritorium against DVD purchases for the last 6 months.

40 person CTF games on Resistance easily match anything I've experienced on my XBL trial and it's free! Already downloaded the Motorstorm, Genji, and Forumla One demo's. Motorstorm looks great. I'm thinking of setting up a Jap or HK account so I can d/l the Gran Turismo HD demo on Xmas Eve....

All this on my 60" SXRD connected via HDMI and optical to my AVR (i don't have an HDMI switching AVR yet). PQ and AQ ncredible!

I finally got my 60GB this last Monday. Right place at the right at Target, when they were restocking in the morning.

Blu-ray player works great. Easily as good as my 360 HD-DVD add-on, if not better. VERY responsive and fast... no more than 10 seconds to start a movie from inserted disc in standby mode to play. Remote commands are very fast. Bitrate meter and visible audio/video codecs are great for the geek factor on the Display.

I picked up 2 games (Resistance and NBA07) and 2 Blu-ray movies (Stealth - sucky movie but great visuals and X-men 3, which joined Kingdom of Heaven and Black Hawk Down which I already owned in anticipation). I've since followed with Monster House, as well. Joining my 7 HD-DVD's for the 360 add-on, I'm finally making some headway against my self-imposed moritorium against DVD purchases for the last 6 months.

40 person CTF games on Resistance easily match anything I've experienced on my XBL trial and it's free! Already downloaded the Motorstorm, Genji, and Forumla One demo's. Motorstorm looks great. I'm thinking of setting up a Jap or HK account so I can d/l the Gran Turismo HD demo on Xmas Eve....

All this on my 60" SXRD connected via HDMI and optical to my AVR (i don't have an HDMI switching AVR yet). PQ and AQ ncredible!

Wow, 60"? That is just insane man, I hope you enjoy your PS3. I will be getting mines in March, and hopefully by then I will have a HD TV setup.

By any chance did you camp out for it? I got a friend who made a walk in to GameStop to get a Wii, but instead they had 6 60GBs available and he just bought a one of those instead. What are the chances of that happening...

But your setup is just crazy. Mind posting some pics that we can drool over? ^_^

Edited by Ishimaru

It's actually available TODAY from the US PSN. I'm just over half done with my download.

PLAYSTATION®Store Offers Gran Turismo HD Concept Free for PLAYSTATION®3 Owners This Holiday Season

World's Most Popular Driving Videogame Franchise Available in Full HD*

FOSTER CITY, Calif., Dec. 22 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer

Entertainment America (SCEA) announced today the December 24 North American

release of Gran TurismoHD Concept, available for free download,

exclusively on the PLAYSTATION®Store (PS Store) for the PLAYSTATION®3

(PS3) computer entertainment system. Developed by Polyphony Digital

Inc., this driving game features an all-new course for players to be the

first to drive a Ferrari on a PS3, as well as have the option to select a

car from nine other worldwide manufacturers that include Infiniti, Lotus,

Mitsubishi, Nissan and Suzuki. Available only for a limited time, Gran

Turismo HD Concept takes full advantage of the PS3 PLAYSTATION 3 hardware

performance by providing full HD 1080p* resolution and next-generation car

physics ushering in a new era of racing for the gaming industry.

"Gran Turismo HD Concept provides PS3 and automotive fans a glimpse

into the future of Gran Turismo," states Kazunori Yamauchi, famed creator

of the Gran Turismo franchise. "With the power of the PS3 technology, the

world of Gran Turismo is refined by its full HD visual presentation and

unique interactive experience, resulting in an even more realistic and true

driving simulator."

Upon downloading Gran Turismo HD Concept, PS3 users have access to the

Eiger Nordwand course and can compete in Time Trial races to collect and

unlock new cars. Upon unlocking the initial 10 cars, the player has access

to 10 more "Tuned Cars," as well as access to a new driving mode called

"Drift Trial."

In the "Drift Trial" mode, the player can master the art of drifting

and achieve ultimate control of their car. Furthermore, when connected to

the PLAYSTATION®Network (PS Network), the player can upload their times

and view the Top 10 rankings for each car and mode, as well as play and

save replays online.

Featured Automobiles in Gran Turismo HD Concept (Year, Manufacturer,

Model)

In order of appearance in game (available in stock and "tuned" versions):

-- 1995 Suzuki Cappucino

-- 1989 Mazda Eunos Roadster

-- 2004 Honda Integra TYPE R

-- 1996 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV GSR

-- 2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe

-- 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX GSR

-- 2005 Lotus Elise 111R

-- 1994 Nissan SKYLINE GT-R Vspec II

-- 1995 Toyota Celica GT-FOUR Rally Car

-- 2006 Ferrari 599

Additional Information About The Game Modes in Gran Turismo HD Concept

In "Time Trial" mode, the player selects a car and must complete the Eiger

Nordwand course within the target time indicated at the top of the screen.

Each time the player beats the target time, a new car is unlocked and made

available for selection. As stated, upon unlocking all of the cars, the

player can access tuned cars, along with the option to race Eiger Nordwand

in the opposite direction.

In "Drift Trial" mode, the player's drifting technique is tested,

rather than their lap time. The player earns drift points based on their

drift angles, racing lines, and speeds within evaluation zones located at

various turns on the course. For each evaluation zone, the results are

based on the number of flags and a numerical figure. The point total from

all zones determines the player's drift points for the lap and is counted

toward the rankings.

The following settings are available during gameplay: 1) Transmission

-- the player can select either Manual or Automatic. 2) Stability

Management (SM) -- the player can turn this ON or OFF during gameplay. ASM

is designed to prevent vehicle skidding by controlling each of the four

wheel brakes independently. 3) Traction Control (TC) Level -- the player

can set the TCS level, which senses drive-wheel slip and prevents wheel

spin. 4) Tires -- the player can select front and rear tires from nine

types of brands.

About Gran Turismo

With more than 45 million units sold worldwide, the award-winning Gran

Turismo franchise for the PlayStation® platforms serves as the racing

game of choice amongst the automotive and gaming audience due to its

true-to-life graphics, physics and real-life cars and tracks. Since the

inception of the Gran Turismo franchise, famed creator - Kazunori Yamauchi

and Polyphony Digital Inc. in Japan have revolutionized the racing category

as we know it today. His offerings provide the gamer with the most

true-to-life driving simulation within the industry and a unique medium for

automobile manufacturers to showcase their products. In Motor Trend

Magazine's February 2005 and 2006 issue, Yamauchi was selected as #17/50

most powerful people in the automotive industry. For more information,

please visit http://www.gran-turismo.com .

The independent Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) has rated

all Gran Turismo properties "E" for Everyone. For more information about

the ESRB, please visit http://www.esrb.org.

Please note that all press materials can be obtained online at:

http://presscenter.playstation.com

username - SCEA

password - SC3APR

About The PLAYSTATION Store

Utilizing the PS Network on PS3, the PS Store is an integrated and

streamlined online storefront that allows all PS3 users to browse and

download available entertainment content, including free** high-definition

game videos and playable demos. On an ongoing basis, users will also be

able to purchase full games exclusive to the PS3, as well as classic

PlayStation (PS one®) software titles that are playable via the PSP®

(PlayStation®Portable) system.

About Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.

Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. continues to redefine the

entertainment lifestyle with its PlayStation® and PS one® game console,

the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, the PSP®

(PlayStation®Portable) system, and the ground-breaking PLAYSTATION®3

(PS3) computer entertainment system.

Recognized as the undisputed industry leader, Sony Computer

Entertainment America Inc. markets the PlayStation family of products and

develops, publishes, markets, and distributes software for the PS one game

console, the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system, the PSP system

and the PS3 system for the North American market. Based in Foster City,

Calif. Sony Computer Entertainment America, Inc. serves as headquarters for

all North American operations and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony

Computer Entertainment Inc.

NOTE: "PlayStation", "PLAYSTATION", "PSP" and "PS one" are registered

trademarks and PS3 is a trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Use

of "Gran Turismo HD Concept" (the "Software") is subject to the

PLAYSTATION®Network Terms of Service/User Agreement. If you do not wish

to accept all these terms, do not use this item. The Software download

service is offered on a limited time basis. An advance notice of service

termination is given on PlayStation® Store. The ranking service for the

Software may be discontinued or suspended as necessary.

© Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. All manufacturers, cars, names,

brands and associated imagery featured in this game are trademarks and/or

copyrighted materials of their respective owners. All rights reserved. Any

depiction or recreation of real world locations, entities, businesses, or

organizations is not intended to be or imply any sponsorship or endorsement

of this game by such party or parties. Gran Turismo is a trademark of Sony

Computer Entertainment Inc.

*Full HD 1080p requires an HDMI cable and a 1080p native display with

an HDMI input supporting HDCP. This game supports displays ranging from

standard definition to 1080p displays.

**User responsible for all applicable internet fees. Some services or

features may require additional fees.

SOURCE Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.

By any chance did you camp out for it? I got a friend who made a walk in to GameStop to get a Wii, but instead they had 6 60GBs available and he just bought a one of those instead. What are the chances of that happening...

But your setup is just crazy. Mind posting some pics that we can drool over? ^_^

I have 3 rules:

1) I never trust sailors unless they're a Corpsman and even then I'm suspicious

2) I don't camp out

3) I don't buy sight unseen

I mangled my sentence though. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. In this case, Target at opening (I was there to pick up some stuff for my baby and they were restocking their PS3's).

My setup is just about complete. Just need to get an HDMI switching Denon to replace my Sony AVR and I'll be set. I'm probably going to wait until next year if/when there should be some HDMI 1.3 Dolby TrueHD/DTS-MA HD decoding receivers, hopefully. I was dead set on a 4306 but now I'm thinking there will either be a CI upgrade or new 4308 model coming up. Silver, of course. :)

I'll see about snapping up some pics, though. :D

I have 3 rules:

1) I never trust sailors unless they're a Corpsman and even then I'm suspicious

2) I don't camp out

3) I don't buy sight unseen

I mangled my sentence though. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. In this case, Target at opening (I was there to pick up some stuff for my baby and they were restocking their PS3's).

My setup is just about complete. Just need to get an HDMI switching Denon to replace my Sony AVR and I'll be set. I'm probably going to wait until next year if/when there should be some HDMI 1.3 Dolby TrueHD/DTS-MA HD decoding receivers, hopefully. I was dead set on a 4306 but now I'm thinking there will either be a CI upgrade or new 4308 model coming up. Silver, of course. :)

I'll see about snapping up some pics, though. :D

Since you are looking for HDMI cables, I managed to find out that PlayAsia has them 8.99 without shipping.

And they have a few other cables too, just my suggestion although the shipping could take a week or more depending on where you live in the states.

But 8.99 for a HDMI cable, now that is cheap. :mellow:

I'm not saying you should buy it if you don't want to but a lot of people gave good feedback on purchases from them.

You should also check out there other stuff too, I'm planning on purchasing a Component Cable for the Wii which is $10, while Nintendo offers it for $30.

Just giving out my best recommendation. :)

At the moment I'm not using my Wii, I got like 20 other people waiting in my house to play Wii Sports.

Just wait till Brawl and Corruption comes out. B))

wow, I was just at best buys in burbank yesterday and they had like 30 PS3's. It's the right, right when you walk in. It was all stacked up on a wooden crate. So I guess PS3's are coming out steadily now huh? ah well. Wii is what I'm looking for instead. :D:p:lol:

GTHD for PSN USA:

Yep, it's available to download NOW in the US. I am 1/2 way downloaded too.

Games and more games:

So what are the rest of you guys playing on your PS3? I am totally hooked on Ridge Racer 7 (man, those Japanese players are freakin hard core online). I am also starting to like Blazing Angels. I do have Resistance, but I haven't touched it much since I am playing Gears of War more on my XB360. Oh man! Did any of you pick up the import version of Armored Core 4? I know this isn't out in the US until next year, but geez, uber-robot mayhem. I might have to shell out money and get the import, even though I won't know what's going on.

PS3 in-store:

Yeah, seems to be more available and easy to obtain one now. Wii's are hard to come by. But I don't have to worry since I own all 3 nextgen consoles. I already threw in a 120GB hard drive in my PS3 for download space. I'm using the stock one for Linux.

Unlocked all of the time trials and I'm not working on the drifting. Might take a break in a bit for some dinner, though. :)

last pic for now:

post-32-1166922758_thumb.jpg