The PlayStation 3 Thread!

Apollo Leader

I still say Sony is potentially shooting themselves in the foot by bundling a Blu-Ray player in with the PS3. If Blu-Ray fails, then the PS3 is going to be even less attractive on the markets. Microsoft did the right thing by releasing an add-on movie player; if HD-DVD flops, then they'll just produce a Blu-Ray add-on.

Another way of looking at it, is they are installing/increasing a user base for Blu-Ray with every PS3 they sell, whereas people have to make a conscious effort to spend an extra $200.00 to get the HD-DVD add on for the 360. That purchase is tough for a lot of people to justify now with HD-tv's still not to norm in the average home.

I think it is a fairly smart strategy to build in the player if they are playing for the long run gain. a 500 to 600$ video game system price is hard to swallow for some, but for many of us, I spent $650.00 on my first DVD player, Hell I bought a frigging 3DO when it came out, that system cost around $600.00 if memory serves me correctly. If you are willing to pay for cool new technology, then the price won't scare you off. People look at me funny when I tell them this, but I genuinely believe that today, the PS3 is a bargain for what you get in the package.

The growing hype around Gundam Musou is amusing for a couple reasons. For one, it's a Gundam game. GOOD Gundam games are so far and few between getting excited about them is really just a recipe for disapointment. Secondly, the Dynasty Warriors style (is there a name for these?) games tend to turn out pretty bad, more often than not. Remember the over-hyped Ninety Nine Nights?

Another way of looking at it, is they are installing/increasing a user base for Blu-Ray with every PS3 they sell, whereas people have to make a conscious effort to spend an extra $200.00 to get the HD-DVD add on for the 360. That purchase is tough for a lot of people to justify now with HD-tv's still not to norm in the average home.

I think it is a fairly smart strategy to build in the player if they are playing for the long run gain. a 500 to 600$ video game system price is hard to swallow for some, but for many of us, I spent $650.00 on my first DVD player, Hell I bought a frigging 3DO when it came out, that system cost around $600.00 if memory serves me correctly. If you are willing to pay for cool new technology, then the price won't scare you off. People look at me funny when I tell them this, but I genuinely believe that today, the PS3 is a bargain for what you get in the package.

This is how I felt about buying the PS3, XBox with HD-DVD does not cost much less, it was pretty much an availability issue. I'm happy that I've gone with the PS3, it is a bargain.

For anyone does not already have a HD monitor, or wasn't planning on getting one, PS3 would be a waste.

With the PS1, the first dual analog stick didn't appear until about two years after the PS1 came out followed by the Dual Shock soon afterwards. Even though those controllers didn't appear until a few years after the PS1's launch, they did quite well and set the standard for all PlayStation controllers for almost a decade. As soon as the rumble feature is restored to the Sixaxis, people will be most definitely getting that controller. Controllers don't have the same stigma that system upgrades have (ie. Sega CD, 32X, etc.).

Last night I finally saw a 60GB PS3 for sale at a local Best Buy. Also one of the Gamestops I go to also had PS3's in stock. If anyone's looking for a PS3 right now, it looks like supply is catching up and the scalpers are all but done in trying to make a profit on these things on eBay. But I will say that until some sure fire hits come out on this system, 2007 is going to be a slow year for the PS3.

Yes, you can say that the Dual Shock set the standard for PS controllers for almost a decade, but that's a highly misleading statement given the context of what you're replying to. The PS2's support of rumble and analog as a follow up to the original Dual Shock has no bearing on the statement that optional peripherals do not see nearly the support that included, standard controllers enjoy, and the Dual Shock, while popular, did not have nearly the support it would have had it been included with the PS1 originally.

If Sony does release a controller with rumble features, no games released before this controller will support that feature, and only some games released after, will. Probably even most, after the controller has been out a year. The sooner Sony released such a controller, the better the support would be of course. However, it seems unlikely that we'll see such a controller in the near future. If they release one two or three years down the line, it will be nice, but a very significant portion of the console's library will not support it.

And, of course, the fact that controllers no longer cost merely 20-30 bucks doesn't help.

wow... yea i can't believe how the DS has been selling out like hot cakes everywhere too now... it's definitely a bit hit for Nintendo this season..... and it just seems that PS3's just missed the mark this year....

never got a PS2.... probably won't get a PS3.... just too rich and unnecessary for my simple gaming tastes....

Just got back from Wal-Mart, where everyone treated the 60 gig systems that were there as if they were nothing at all. I can't believe that I didn't pick one up, but the current library doesn't interest me, I've got a '19 on the way and...I'm really digging Guitar Hero 1 and 2... :unsure:

Looks like this is one & the same gundam game. It's something different, but definately potentially fun. Mind you I never played any of the dynasty warriors games, but there is something enticing about that shot of the Zeta slicing through a group of mobile suits.

I hope when the European PS3 is released it will have all the bugs sorted out and updated. If its region free does this only apply to PS3 games, what if i was to put in a Japaneses PS2 or PSone game.

PS1 & 2 still have their region locks.

Thats sh*te :angry: . I was hoping to play all my PS2 games on the PS3, if i buy one that is. Then i could store away my old machines.

Had an opportunity to grab a 60GB at Target last night. I had two things going against me though. One being my account balance and my wife being the other. Not that I'd want it right now anyway. None of the games released so far look interesting enough to play. I'll wait for a bigger selection.

lol sounds like my life. I've seen a few 60gb PS3s at Target and Fry's but not alone...but I have a floor to put in and I need a new garage roof so the PS3 will have to wait. Plus the games aren't all that interesting right now.

huh :blink::wacko:Sixaxis scores Emmy

Edited by dejr8bud

lol sounds like my life. I've seen a few 60gb PS3s at Target and Fry's but not alone...but I have a floor to put in and I need a new garage roof so the PS3 will have to wait. Plus the games aren't all that interesting right now.

huh :blink::wacko:Sixaxis scores Emmy

Turns out the award was for the Dualshock! :blink:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/sony-whoops-d...emmy-227799.php

Edited by Apollo Leader

I hope there will be a Macross game made for the PS3, just like the one for the PS2. I've always been wanting to play the Macross game on the PS2, but I don't think I'd be able to mod anything properly. Do Japanese PS2s display on the NTSC system? If they'll display on NTSC, I just might have to track a Japanese PS2 and find myself a copy of that game. However, if there is a Macross game made for the PS3, I won't have to worry about getting a Japanese PS2 then will I?

Edited by Oihan

I hope there will be a Macross game made for the PS3, just like the one for the PS2. I've always been wanting to play the Macross game on the PS2, but I don't think I'd be able to mod anything properly. Do Japanese PS2s display on the NTSC system? If they'll display on NTSC, I just might have to track a Japanese PS2 and find myself a copy of that game. However, if there is a Macross game made for the PS3, I won't have to worry about getting a Japanese PS2 then will I?

Japanese systems will run fine here. It would be even cheaper to mod a new slim line one with a boot disc and a flip top lid. Say $30 and is extremely simple. Instant PS2 Macross!!

my online id: Sarge051

I was going to make it Chowser, but since my Xbox Live id is SARGE051, I decided to keep my PS3 name the same.

I was just at GS today picking up Zelda for my Wii and the guy said that Sony is planning on releasing a PS3 with a DVD-ROM drive instead of blu-ray at a lower cost point. Don't know if there's any truth, but the guy hasn't been wrong yet. the guy just got back from another big meeting with the GS/EB group. He was the one that told me when they were getting the PS3, and what day to come preorder it, etc.

I'm wondering if this is Sony's answer to 360 v.2

So what's your online PS3 id?

Mine's easy.

ID: DangardAce

trav54

my online id: Sarge051

I was going to make it Chowser, but since my Xbox Live id is SARGE051, I decided to keep my PS3 name the same.

I was just at GS today picking up Zelda for my Wii and the guy said that Sony is planning on releasing a PS3 with a DVD-ROM drive instead of blu-ray at a lower cost point. Don't know if there's any truth, but the guy hasn't been wrong yet. the guy just got back from another big meeting with the GS/EB group. He was the one that told me when they were getting the PS3, and what day to come preorder it, etc.

I'm wondering if this is Sony's answer to 360 v.2

He's wrong on this front. There will be no such thing...all PS3 game discs come on Blu-ray's...no DVD games. How would it play the games?

Hey both of you guys...Resistance one of these days? B))

trav54

He's wrong on this front. There will be no such thing...all PS3 game discs come on Blu-ray's...no DVD games. How would it play the games?

Hey both of you guys...Resistance one of these days? B))

I usually suck at FPS games, cause I don't play them often, but sure. I'm actually more excited about R6:vegas. That looks fun.

What v.2?

360's supposed to be getting a new CPU. 65nm compared to the current 90nm. Smaller, cooler, more efficient. LESS NOISY.

I usually suck at FPS games, cause I don't play them often, but sure. I'm actually more excited about R6:vegas. That looks fun.

360's supposed to be getting a new CPU. 65nm compared to the current 90nm. Smaller, cooler, more efficient. LESS NOISY.

and supposely an HDMI port and a 120GB HD

From the article I saw, less expensive as well. If Microsoft is aiming to have a $300 360 with all the bang of the current $400 console plus a larger hard drive, the PS3's unreasonable price tag will be even more of an obstacle.

From the article I saw, less expensive as well. If Microsoft is aiming to have a $300 360 with all the bang of the current $400 console plus a larger hard drive, the PS3's unreasonable price tag will be even more of an obstacle.

Everything about a new 360 has been hopeful wishes mostly...even the pics of the HDMI prototypes were dismissed by MS as just that...experimental prototypes. If it does make the cut with a larger HDD and HDMI, the price will likely stay the same, though the new "Core" could become the old one if they went that route.

If I'm not mistaken, hasn't MS already started using the smaller CPU in 360's in the last couple months? I thought it already was in production.

Everything about a new 360 has been hopeful wishes mostly...even the pics of the HDMI prototypes were dismissed by MS as just that...experimental prototypes. If it does make the cut with a larger HDD and HDMI, the price will likely stay the same, though the new "Core" could become the old one if they went that route.

If I'm not mistaken, hasn't MS already started using the smaller CPU in 360's in the last couple months? I thought it already was in production.

So Nov 2006 and newer models should have the smaller CPU? I have a 360 as well, but I think it was made before then. There have been a few instances where my 360 would freeze...but that's only been in a few demos that I've played...probably because of over heating (no problem with GoW though). I probably do have the older/bigger chip. Other than that though I haven't had any real problems with mine.

With the way things are looking now with the PS3, I don't think I'll be getting one for at least 3 to 5 years...if I do ever get one. There will have to be some 'must buy' game (like Halo 3 on the 360) on the PS3 if I were to buy one.

With the way things are looking now with the PS3, I don't think I'll be getting one for at least 3 to 5 years...if I do ever get one. There will have to be some 'must buy' game (like Halo 3 on the 360) on the PS3 if I were to buy one.

I might get a PS3, when Metal Gear Solid 4 comes with it in a bundle or something similar, I really enjoyed playing the previous Metal Gears. Of course knowing konami they'll bring out a special edition later on as well like they done with MGS2 & MGS3 :angry: