The PlayStation 3 Thread!

Apollo Leader

Streaming can only be doing through DNLA compatible programs if you're using XP. I believe this may be built into Vista but will have to check that later.

If you're using XP, try:

TVersity

http://www.tversity.com/

Or Twonkyvision

http://www.twonkyvision.de/Download/TwonkyMedia/index.html

I was using Twonky to stream FLAC to my Denon 4306 anyways, so am most familiar with it.

I hear WMP11 can also do this.

I have an OS X laptop but haven't tried to do anything from the apple yet. As with anything else, I imagine this will expand in time, but for right now this is what we've got.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Twonky says it's got an OSX version so I'm going to try that on my Macs and TVersity on my XP box. Should be interesting.

Twonkyvision works great with OS X. MP3 and movies are streaming over flawlessly so far.

Sixxaxis nerd tech video. So THIS is what the sixxaxis motion controller can do....

That looks pretty cool. How did they link the IO to that robot thing? I hope they add the sixaxis motion sensing and rumble and make the batarang dual shock 3. I really love that design.

I really wish they would move beyond simple rumble, which isn't really that useful by itself (I'm shot: rumble. My turbo booster/afterburner is on: rumble. A really large creature/vehicle is coming by: rumble), and go more towards something like Dbox/LFE based that do modulated versus constant pulsing, etc.

More immersive force feedback is always welcome, and it's already existed a long time, just not in console pads. Even when Nintendo first introduced the N64 rumble pack, I'd seen flight sticks with much more in depth force feedback. I understood even then why console force feed back was limited to rumble, but it would be nice to see consoles grow in to that as the technology becomes smaller and cheaper.

OK. I'm a real idiot when it comes to this HD stuff, so let me toss out a question and see if my fellow MWers know what's up:

I've been reading some vague, and contradictory stuff on the web (not from sites themselves, but rantings and ravings from end-users) about the PS3 working on my TV. I've got a Westinghouse LTV-32w1 flat-screen LCD which is "HD-ready" via a DVI-HDCP connector.

1) Will this give me the HD if I hook up a PS3 to it? Some things I've read say no, while others say yes.

2) I've also seen someone say that while the games work, blu-ray movies don't. Anyone know what may be up with that?

Any help you guys can give would be great. Or, if there is an article or site which I probably have missed that can provide answers, you can point me that way, as well.

Thanks!!!

OK. I'm a real idiot when it comes to this HD stuff, so let me toss out a question and see if my fellow MWers know what's up:

I've been reading some vague, and contradictory stuff on the web (not from sites themselves, but rantings and ravings from end-users) about the PS3 working on my TV. I've got a Westinghouse LTV-32w1 flat-screen LCD which is "HD-ready" via a DVI-HDCP connector.

1) Will this give me the HD if I hook up a PS3 to it? Some things I've read say no, while others say yes.

2) I've also seen someone say that while the games work, blu-ray movies don't. Anyone know what may be up with that?

Any help you guys can give would be great. Or, if there is an article or site which I probably have missed that can provide answers, you can point me that way, as well.

Thanks!!!

Hay you're all set, I used to have hd cable with component cable and it was 1080i. if dvi port is what you got, just use a dvi-hdmi cable, but you have to have another cable for audio signal. I have a 3 years old 1080i dlp, dvi input is as good as it gets. so I settle with it until I'm willing to pay for a 1080p model.

if you use hdmi output of the ps3, you can select to use the optical audio instead. since my tv only has dvi input and no optical audio input, I get me a reciever with hdmi pass thought and optical audio input.

someboby correct me if I'm wrong, since the tv is 32", I might be 720p - just like the ones use in store displays. then your bd and games will look really good. hook your ps3 to it.

You can use an HDMI cable hooked up to a DVI adapter to your TV as mentioned but will have to sperate the audio. Or you can get a set of Component cables and use that. You'll get HD games and Blu-ray either way. Component cables will be less of a hassle if your set's finicky with HDCP.

Edited by Gaijin

Well, hey! Thanks Vince and Gaijin! That helps. I have no worries running my sound through optical audio.

Gaijin- Question: You said component will be less of a hassle if HDCP is finnicky... can I still get HD through my component cables? (Like I said... i am dumm with this stuff).

some hd cable boxes still output using component cable, check the back of your tv there should be 1 set of 480i/p rgb jacks - the one ps2 and normal dvd player hook up to, and may have more than 1 set of component rgb jacks mark as 720i/p and up, the ps3 and hd signal should use those. but using dvi actually produce somewhat sharper images with hd tv boardcast, at least with my setup anyway. I say use the optical audio output if you can, it sound way better than the regulate red and white connectors. trust me, i'm doing 5.1 with my system, with a set of bose, it's a lot of fun.

Well, hey! Thanks Vince and Gaijin! That helps. I have no worries running my sound through optical audio.

Gaijin- Question: You said component will be less of a hassle if HDCP is finnicky... can I still get HD through my component cables? (Like I said... i am dumm with this stuff).

Yes, you can get HD through component. You won't get full 1080p from Blu-ray but you need a display that will accept it so it's a moot point for your TV. If you have a set of PS2 component cables, that will work as well. A component setup will net you 720p and 1080i just fine. PS2/PS3 component cables will run $20-25 bucks.

Sad to hear that. Because now I have even less desire to by a PS3. It also doesn't help that they've lowered it's ability for backwards gaming, but now to have even more "Online Only" games is further narrowing their audience market.

Looks like single player truly is going to die in favor of multi-player after all. (in b4 "Just as planned.")

Sad to hear that. Because now I have even less desire to by a PS3. It also doesn't help that they've lowered it's ability for backwards gaming, but now to have even more "Online Only" games is further narrowing their audience market.

Looks like single player truly is going to die in favor of multi-player after all. (in b4 "Just as planned.")

But the pictures are really pretty. :D

I like to play multi players games with friends, not with people that play all day long.

As far as I can tell, MGS 4 is the only compelling reason to buy a PS3 anyway. Sony and friends, please feel free to convince me otherwise...

I've yet to see a PS3 in the States not run a PS2 game or PSX game they tried, even in the new consoles purchased this past month. I don't think the Emotion Engineless ones are out here, just Europe. If that is the case, it's more compelling to9 buy now rather than later.

One title that's online only out of a lot isn't cause for alarm. I would hardly call 'Warhawk' the nail in the single player coffin. If Halo, MGS, Grand Theft Auto, Street Fighter, and such all went multiplayer only, then i'd worry.

I've yet to see a PS3 in the States not run a PS2 game or PSX game they tried, even in the new consoles purchased this past month. I don't think the Emotion Engineless ones are out here, just Europe. If that is the case, it's more compelling to9 buy now rather than later.

One title that's online only out of a lot isn't cause for alarm. I would hardly call 'Warhawk' the nail in the single player coffin. If Halo, MGS, Grand Theft Auto, Street Fighter, and such all went multiplayer only, then i'd worry.

While it would be smart to buy the PS3 now for the backwards gaming that still exists there are just to few games of interest out to justify the 'get'.

Sadly the games you list are either gone, going to multi-player, or are ones I would be getting anyways. Halo is done with this game because of it's story will be tying up, GTA will be going multi because it'll save RS development cost, and Warhawk (after I heard that it was coming out) for me was a real reason for me to buy the PS3. But you'll see an increase in MP because the developer don't have to build the network from the ground up, support it, and will save more on development because they won't have to put in AI or extra's like they do in single player games.

PS. none of the MG games have ever been interesting, imo.

While it would be smart to buy the PS3 now for the backwards gaming that still exists there are just to few games of interest out to justify the 'get'.

Sadly the games you list are either gone, going to multi-player, or are ones I would be getting anyways. Halo is done with this game because of it's story will be tying up, GTA will be going multi because it'll save RS development cost, and Warhawk (after I heard that it was coming out) for me was a real reason for me to buy the PS3. But you'll see an increase in MP because the developer don't have to build the network from the ground up, support it, and will save more on development because they won't have to put in AI or extra's like they do in single player games.

PS. none of the MG games have ever been interesting, imo.

Single Player isn't going anywhere. The vast majority of games will still be single player. While there's a trend in that direction towards multi, it won't overtake single player games. And the games you speak of are still single player experiences, Warhawk excluded. Their future sequels may go that route of multi only but I think it's too early to say single player is over.

Multiplayer Online isn't that much of a savings over a single player game. It can in fact, cost more. Warhawk's deletion of single player was more of a this just doesn't work as a single player game as much as a multiplayer one. While I'm dissapointed with that, I'd rather have a multi only game than a multi attached with a poor single player campaign. Some will feel different but that's how I look at it.

Price drop coming sooner rather than laters though. :) So the wait might be worth it.

Edited by Gaijin

Actually, one of the trends I'm starting to see is games that blur the line between single player and multiplayer. Wish I could recall the names offhand, but I saw one game about an alternate history where the knights Templar never died out and the renaissance never took place. In single player mode you play through a typical single player experience, but the "NPCs" are can at times be actual players playing the online multiplayer which sets them into the single player world with goals of their own.

There's also an RTS game with a similar idea behind it, or at least that's how it sounded from what I read.

People predicted the end of single player games around the time of Quake 3 and the first Unreal Tournament. Hasn't actually happened, I don't see it ever happening. The market seems to be moving towards a broader appeal, not a narrower appeal.

A Price drop for the PS3 will be a good thing, definitely, and certainly the smartest option for Sony if they can afford it. Still, I haven't heard that they plan to drop the price for the version with the gimped backwards compatibility. It sounded like they were going to do it to cut costs, but not drop the price. We'll see.

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought my PS3 two days ago. I got Ninja Gaiden Sigma, as it seemed to be the only game worth buying. I'm a former Xbox 360 owner, but I got the f--k rid of it as soon as it did the red light thing. So far, I really like my ps3. While Sigma's graphics aren't as good as Gears of War, and the ps3 line of games leaves something to be desired, I'm positive that in the future, the ps3 is gonna' kick the 360's azz up and down the block. Once game designers get used to the cell processor technology, it's going to be gamers paradise. Right now I'm EAGERLY awaiting Bladestorm, Dynasty Warriors Gundam, Metal Gear, and Final Fantasy XIII. Any one of those games is enough to make me not care about missing out on Halo 3.

A price drop is definitely going to happen soon. I just hope Sony doesn't drop the hardware emulation in favor of software emulation in order to cut costs. To me, that will be a deal-breaker. The hardware emulation on the PS2 was great, but it still wasn't 100%. I wholly expect much lower compatibility with software emulation on the PS3.