The PlayStation 3 Thread!

Apollo Leader

I heard the PS3 is noisy enough to making it a sub-par blu-ray player for people with high-end entertainment centers... like during really quiet suspenseful portions of films you'll hear the PS3 whirling away. Any truth to that?

The Ps3 isn't "whirring" away unless you're going to be sitting like 5 feet away from the console. The system is amazingly quiet, although not silent. I mean, c'mon. It's a video game console. Anyone who b--ches about it being too loud for blu-ray needs a good swift kick in their silver-spoon-fed azz.

It's about 1/10th the noise level of an xbox 360. Maybe not even that loud.

If it's loud enough to hear, then it's certainly an issue at that price, you don't need to be a media snob with an entertainment centre that cost more than your house to see that. Even $20 DVD players don't make any audible noise when you're watching movies. I hadn't heard anyone mention this being a problem with the PS3 until now, though. No one I know has been willing to shell out for a PS3, so I've no idea just how audible it is.

Stupid $100 price drop + emotion engine....I've now officially jumped on the bandwagon, even though I swore I'd wait for MGS 4 first. Only game I have so far is Resistence, and I probably won't set the thing up until tomorrow or so.

As for MGS4 being exclusive, I remember how half assed Konami's port of 2 was for the xbox, so I wouldn't get my hopes up there yet :) Here's hoping Namco doesn't take too long with Ace Combat 6, while it may be a 360 exclusive now, I can't imagine it being one forever. And damnit, it's about time we had a decent game that would allow for MW custom squadrens.

As for MGS4 being exclusive, I remember how half assed Konami's port of 2 was for the xbox, so I wouldn't get my hopes up there yet :)

Last generation, the PS2 had a huge market saturation gap over both the Xbox and the Gamecube. Developers stood to make the most money off PS2 sales, so naturally that's where all their attention went. This generation, that is no longer the case. Developers will have to spread their support more equally to make the kind of profits they'd like to see. They've got far more to lose from sloppy ports.

Stupid $100 price drop + emotion engine....I've now officially jumped on the bandwagon, even though I swore I'd wait for MGS 4 first.

Damn you Keith, I was using you as inspiration to wait until MGS 4 came out to get this thing. The idea of having the emotion engine and not the emu-engine is the dealbreaker. If I go through with this, Resistance will be the game I buy, along with the 5 crappy blu-ray movies they're throwing in.

Actually, they can keep the crappy movies.

How do we know for sure that the PS3's we buy now are emo and not emu?

Damn you Keith, I was using you as inspiration to wait until MGS 4 came out to get this thing. The idea of having the emotion engine and not the emu-engine is the dealbreaker. If I go through with this, Resistance will be the game I buy, along with the 5 crappy blu-ray movies they're throwing in.

Actually, they can keep the crappy movies.

How do we know for sure that the PS3's we buy now are emo and not emu?

The 80GB ones are without Emo. The 60's still have them. But that will change shortly. I don't have the serial and model number ranges yet. Suffice to say, buying a PS3 now and not in 2 months should asure you of EE and GS in your PS3.

Last generation, the PS2 had a huge market saturation gap over both the Xbox and the Gamecube. Developers stood to make the most money off PS2 sales, so naturally that's where all their attention went. This generation, that is no longer the case. Developers will have to spread their support more equally to make the kind of profits they'd like to see. They've got far more to lose from sloppy ports.

Don't listen to Keith. I had MGS2 for both the PS2 and the XB and the XB port was identical to the PS2 except that the game didn't feel right using the Xbox controller. Obviously this wasn't due to Konami's inability to port the game properly, and if you had never played the PS2 version you wouldn't have noticied. The XB version did have the extra VR missions and Snake Tales, but I didn't care for them and fortunately the game didn't require you to play them either.

Even though the only two Ps3 games I've played are Ninja Gaiden and Virtua Fighter... i hafta' recommend Virtua. It's addictive as hell. I've blown hours on it - and I've only played as the kickboxer and the vale tudo chick! 15 more fighters to go.

But, I think I'll be sacrificing Ninja Gaiden to get Lair when it comes out at the end of the month. Gaiden is cool, but no matter if you give it high definition graphics, a new weapon, and some chick missions, I still feel like I'm playing the exact same game from my old X-box that broke down and couldn't play anything except halo anymore so I was able to swindle the people at gamestop into letting me trade it in. ;) But, yeah, I need to beat Sigma in the next couple weeks.

Oy. MGS4 and Killzone 2 trailers were impressive. Killzone is verrry close to the infamous trailer.

Gotta give the Killzone guys some props, though I bet they were sweating some bullets ever since E3 2005 trying to make this game even come close to the trailer. I got to question those flying troop transports though... who want want to sit on a flat metal surface, no seats, no seat belt straps or nothing while flying through the air miles up? :huh: Anyway, looks like a good show case of the system's power.

I understand that poor Kaz Hirai had his claim to fame as Mr Riiiiiidge Racer further cemented when he was involved with the Home demo and the other Sony guy was giving him grief that he was there to show off Riiiiiiidge Racer! ^_^

If it's loud enough to hear, then it's certainly an issue at that price, you don't need to be a media snob with an entertainment centre that cost more than your house to see that. Even $20 DVD players don't make any audible noise when you're watching movies. I hadn't heard anyone mention this being a problem with the PS3 until now, though. No one I know has been willing to shell out for a PS3, so I've no idea just how audible it is.

I can't hear anything from mine, unless I'm withing 1 or 2 feet tops. Even then, it's a whisper. That said, my stand is not enclosed, though:

uxisi_denonsetup_lost.jpg

uxisi_DenonDisplayPS3.jpg

well there's your problem, hearing loss due to your system.

Any hearing loss is far more likely to have been from hearing all the 120mm rounds going off from my wingman Abrams, if not my own. :D

The 80GB ones are without Emo. The 60's still have them. But that will change shortly. I don't have the serial and model number ranges yet. Suffice to say, buying a PS3 now and not in 2 months should asure you of EE and GS in your PS3.

Ok. ONE last question before I make a decision. Emu-PS3's will have emulation that will provide limited compatibility, but if I still have my PS2 then the backward compatibility is a non-issue, correct?

I want to get this Emo-PS3 but my "new" Trans-Am needs better tires, lol...

I seriously doubt I'll own a PS3 before they're all emu-only, but my slim PS2 is so tiny I'll probably just leave it hooked up. How heavy is a PS3? I currently have my slim PS2 on top of my DVD player, but I doubt my player will like a PS3 on top of it.

I just bought Resistance Fall of Man today. Pretty cool so far. It's really making me hope that PS3 can come out with something as amazing as Gears of War someday, because even though Resistance is cool, I can't help but compare it with Gears. And Gears kicks its arse.

I pre-ordered Lair today as well. *keeps fingers crossed* I hope this game is amazing. The only thing I can see about it that I don't much like is that the dragon they give you to ride looks like it ran face-first into a castle at high speeds, and never fully recovered.

Hey, I found out something cool a few minutes ago. I have a cheap adapter to plug a PS2 controller into my computer (USB.) I decided to try it out on one of the USB ports on my PS3 and lo and behold - it worked! Now I don't have to spend gawd knows how much money on another controller for games that don't really need the sixaxis. Hope this may help some of you out there! Ciao.

Like I care. I already got mine. To me, the biggest "screw you" ever in the gaming industry was Microsoft mass releasing the most defective gaming system ever conceived; and then not admitting it for about two years.

Yet another reason to buy it now. Save a hundred bucks and get hardware Emo, and a bunch of free mediocre movies.

Amazon is doing a deal right now where if you buy a PS3 they are throwing in another Blu-Ray Disc and the Blu-Ray remote along with the 5 free Blu-Ray mail in offer. I ordered one last night as a birthday present.

I'm kind of of the same mind as Ghadrack, I really want a Blu Ray player and the PS3 seems to be the best "deal" on one (buy a Blu Ray player and get a "free" video game system attached!) but I'm still kind of on the fence with it...

The $100 savings and 5 free movies are kind of tempting... but the movies all look like crap movies... but they're free. I think my biggest question still is what is it going to take to get this thing "up and running"? Does this 60gig system come with the HDMI cable? I know I have two of them just sitting around in my equipment stash but will it take a normal HDMI cable? After all I'm basically buying this thing as a Blu Ray player and not as a video game console... so my prime concern is gleening the best picture and sound quality out of it. Does it have optical audio out? I've never actually seen one of these things in person to know what it does and doesn't have as output options.

Well that helps the decision process a bit.

Looks like the 5 free movies deal lasts until October... the question is will the 60gig systems last until then? It's not like I'm strapped for cash or anything, I just really want to see more Blu Ray movies that I want to buy show up before I commit to this thing. At the moment if I ran out and bought a PS3 on my way home from the office tonight I'd have to buy some movies to watch... and as it stands now there are not many movies that I want on Blu Ray. But movies that I will want will be coming out on Blu Ray soon (Cars, Ratatouille, Surfs Up)... I think... damn is this a hard choice to make.

I already own a Xbox 360 and it's HD DVD add on is $200 and there are currently HD DVDs that I want out right now... with more coming out soon that I want (Hot Fuzz, Shawn of the Dead)... but those are all Universal movies, the last holdout of HD DVD.

I hate format wars.

This makes no sense to me. Basically, Sony is only dropping the price of the 60gb version to $500 until it sells out, which should be approximately 4 - 6 months, after which customers will have no choice but to purchase the 80gb version at the regular price of $600. Sure Sony will push a lot of units in that 4 - 6 month window, but not enough to catch up anywhere near the 360 and Wii userbase. Furthermore, in my store I'd say 25% of the PS3's we've sold have been to A/V enthusiasts (like JsARCLIGHT) who don't plan on purchasing any PS3 games and just want a cheap BD player. This isn't the type of customer that Sony wants since they sell their consoles at a loss and bank on profits made from game sales.

At this point, the only thing left that Sony could do to shock me is increase the price of the PS3 by an extra $100 :p

Since this $100 cut on the 60 GB PS3 is apparently just an inventory clearing measure, this probably explains why Microsoft didn't quickly slash prices on the Xbox 360, but I wouldn't be surprised if price cuts are coming very soon to make the 360 more competitive with the Wii and to really undercut the PS3.

Like I care. I already got mine. To me, the biggest "screw you" ever in the gaming industry was Microsoft mass releasing the most defective gaming system ever conceived; and then not admitting it for about two years.

While I'd definitely agree that was a bad one, I think there is one much worse instance of a company screwing the gaming industry, and another that is about on par with your pick. Aside from those, I think anyone who grabbed a 32x or a Saturn might have a thing or two to say about being screwed. However, as much as I'd be willing to discuss all these points, I think that's a topic which would deserve it's own thread rather than derailing this one.

I'm sure it would make a lot of people happy if the PS3 tanked and Sony was booted out of the video game market. But then what would we be left with? Pointing dildos at cute little gamecube graphics characters with a Wii, or wondering everytime we turn on our 360 whether or not it's going to be "ring time?" THREE YEAR warranties. Yay. I just can't wait to get my system refurbished again and again and again and.... I guess I'd get a Wii, so I can experience gamecube all over again - but this time with a nunchuk.

Just out of curiosity, how much heating up is normal for the PS3? While I haven't had any waarning light blinking or shutting down problems, I've noticed all exhaust vents seem to heat up decently, as does the upper casing.

aw, this sucks. I would like to get a PS3 for this price... but honestly, not as a 360-fanboy or anything, I'm just not thrilled with the games slated for the system. I would get it, just as a blu-ray player, but I know that if I try to get the 360 later on (when falcon comes out) that my wife would not be happy. oh well. such is life.