The PlayStation 3 Thread!

Apollo Leader

well, it looks like some target stores are also dropping the price.

Then again, most of the targets I've been to have ps3s sitting in their cabinets with nice thick coats of dust on them, so maybe this is just CC and target trying to get rid of some inventory.

Confirmed by several other retailers as well. Expect "official" announcements at E3 I suppose. I'm betting they really didn't want to tip their hands before. MS can easily drop and negate their drop. Oh well. Those of you worried about the software emulation vs. the Emotion engine equipped ones now should buy the ones that are out there now before the new hardware hits the US. As far as I know, the units still on shelves are still Emotion equipped. $499 ain't bad considering the Elite's price at $479. The next coming couple months will end the drought of games too. If you were looking to jget a PS3, I'd jump on the Emo equipped 60 GB ones now.

Edited by Gaijin

Is there a way you can tell if the ones on the shelf are the Ps3 without the Emo-chip?

The 60GB ones in the US should all have the chip. The upcoming 80Gb one will prob be just like Europe and be emotionless. Wonder if the price cut is just on the current 60GB ones and the 80 would keep the $600 point until just before the holiday season. In other words, I think it's safe to buy now. A larger HDD is nothing in the PS3 since you could upgrade that yourself with a normal laptop drive.

I haven't really been keeping up on things. How bad is the emotion engine-less backwards compatability?

Without the EE and GS, it runs about 70-75% of all PS2 games through emulation. More titles are added every so often. Better than 360's backwards compatible list for sure.

As soon as I can find the discount in a store I am going to pick up a second unit while they still are equipped with the Emotion engine and hardware emulation for a Christmas present. I love how all the 360 gamers are trying to put down the PS3, it doesn't have a massive game catalog yet, Duh, anyone who expected one in the first year of release is a tard, but meanwhile 30% of 360's have crapped out and MS is planning for the eventuality that at least 50% of all units sold to date to die before the 18 month mark. It literally makes me laugh seeing them try to talk about Sony's past hardware errors. BTW my first gen PS1 still works, My first gen Japanese PS2 and US PS2 are still plugging right along in my living room FO Sony haters, you lose.

All I know is last week I bought a PS3 for 600 bucks at a gamecrazy. Now the price is gonna' drop? f--k me.

While it sucks that the timing got you on the PS3 discount, try not to feel too bad, as much as people whine about the price, for the actual piece of Hardware you bought, the price is not unreasonable, with the system updates you have one of the best Blu-ray players on the planet, one of the best upscaling DVD players on earth, you can play damn near every PS1 and PS2 game ever made and they have graphic upscaling, you don't have any annual fee to play online, there is free and pay download content with the possibility of the largest downloadable game library possible (See PS1 and PS2 game libraries and unique game content). 100 bucks is 100 bucks, but still, you just happened to get unlucky on the dates of the news.

Hell, what is the return policy, you could always take a chance and see if you can return it as "Dissatisfied" and then turn around and buy another at the discount price.

Hell, what is the return policy, you could always take a chance and see if you can return it as "Dissatisfied" and then turn around and buy another at the discount price.

Yeah, just try returning it, although the hassle of doing that and then going out and buying another system is probably just a pain in the butt. The timing really does suck, though...

Check to see if the store where you bought your PS3 has some kind of price protection plan. Some stores will refund the difference if the price drops within a certain amount of time (usually 30 days) after purchase. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask.

I just hope Sony doesn't drop the hardware emulation in favor of software emulation in order to cut costs. To me, that will be a deal-breaker. The hardware emulation on the PS2 was great, but it still wasn't 100%. I wholly expect much lower compatibility with software emulation on the PS3.

Can you guys explain why Emo is better than emu? That might prove to be a dealbreaker for me as well. If the limited compatibility list for 'emu is a problem, am I correct in understanding that the 'emu list will grow online anyway?

Can you guys explain why Emo is better than emu? That might prove to be a dealbreaker for me as well. If the limited compatibility list for 'emu is a problem, am I correct in understanding that the 'emu list will grow online anyway?

Having the hardware would always be better overall than emulation. And in this case, the price is better, and the only real advantages to the 80 GB one are increased HDD capacity, a copy of Motorstorm, and supposedly revised Bluetooth.

I really don't expect much (if any) difference from Emo to emu (heh). I ordered a 160GB for my PS3 today, though, so the hard drive issue is moot. I do hope to eventually get a new PS3 when they offer it in silver (everything e;se in my HT is silver from the 360 faceplate back to my Denon AVR).

PS3 is #1 on Amazon right now. They also have a bundle with Resistance: FoM and the bluetooth remote. I didn't post it here, but I got my Harmony 720 working with my PS3 flawlessly with the Nyko Blu-wave IR USB dongle, so just about every disadvantage the PS3 started with is now gone.

Edited by Uxi

I find this amusing: in my latest issue of EGM, the STAFF WRITES, that ALL of their Xbox 360's crashed in the last month. (Go to the 360 thread on Mworld and everyone there will deny the existence of the red lights practically) Also, when I was buying my playstation 3, the guy working at gamecrazy was ON THE PHONE with Microsoft, working on getting his 360 fixed! And he said it was his THIRD TIME. Not only has everyone I know who's owned a 360 had it crash on them, but hell, it's even in a magazine such as EGM now. I just can't believe people will put up with this garbage. I got the red ring of death ONE time, and that was enough for me. I hocked that thing on ebay as fast as I could, and now I'm content-as-hell with my ps3, and looking forward to the killer games to come. As for the price drop... screw it. I'll just keep what I got, just to be sure my system has the emotion engine, and a blu-ray player.

That must be pretty exciting just having it... sit there.

Uh, yeah, I guess it just sits there... when I'm not playing Ninja Gaiden Sigma or Virtua Fighter. (?) What else is it supposed to do? Clean my house?

I thought the "5 free blu-ray movies" offer was great until I saw the list-PASS...

Sooo tempting.... don't know if I can resist if the price drop does happen.

The drop is official. You can see it on amazon.com where it jumped to number one. My local walmart already has the new price point.

I thought the "5 free blu-ray movies" offer was great until I saw the list-PASS...

LOL ouch, yeah, there is a bunch of crap on that list. I might see if I can return them still packaged to Walmart for store credit to buy some decent flicks :) There are a couple decent flicks on there, but for the most part it's defenitely not scottish.

I find this amusing: in my latest issue of EGM, the STAFF WRITES, that ALL of their Xbox 360's crashed in the last month. (Go to the 360 thread on Mworld and everyone there will deny the existence of the red lights practically) Also, when I was buying my playstation 3, the guy working at gamecrazy was ON THE PHONE with Microsoft, working on getting his 360 fixed! And he said it was his THIRD TIME. Not only has everyone I know who's owned a 360 had it crash on them, but hell, it's even in a magazine such as EGM now. I just can't believe people will put up with this garbage. I got the red ring of death ONE time, and that was enough for me. I hocked that thing on ebay as fast as I could, and now I'm content-as-hell with my ps3, and looking forward to the killer games to come. As for the price drop... screw it. I'll just keep what I got, just to be sure my system has the emotion engine, and a blu-ray player.

Enjoy your PS3 which you spent a $100 too much on, dude. ;) If you look back through the original Xbox 360 thread, you will see all of our cases, including mine, where our 360's went out on us along with our own cases of what it took to get a replacemen, either good or bad stories. My first one went out on me about 8 months after I got it at launch; my refurbished one has lasted me over 11 months now. While I was waiting for my replacement 360 (which shipping and replacement was totally free for me), I used the time to go back to my PS2 and some of my other systems.

When I got my first PS1 on launch day September 9, 1995, it went 6 months before it went flakey on me. I got it to limp by another year plus (FMV and some audio would skip) and I got a second system which has lasted to this day (even got it modded).

Though it was a disappointment that my first PS1 ran into troubles, I loved the games that were coming out on the system and the over all experience of the PlayStation brand. Other then my first 360 crapping out on me and the few weeks of inconvenience it caused, this has become one of my most favorite systems and game system experiences ever (online play, Marketplace, etc.). To Microsoft's credit, they have admitted that there is a problem and they are taking measures to rectify the situation; has Sony ever admitted there were a high rate of PS1's (especially the early ones) and PS2's that had problems? (Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my PS1 and 2 a lot - and still do, even still buying PS2 games - and if it wasn't for being drawn to the 360 because of Halo, I would probably have a PS3 today).

Edited by Apollo Leader

Sony recently released a new screen shot from Killzone 2, and surprise surprise, doesn't look nearly as good as they claimed it would.

http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=465

That's the highest resolution shot of that scene so far, but it's way too early to make a judgement off of a shot like that. Killzone 2 will probably be a great looking game and will probably be enjoyable on its own merits (until I got my 360, Halo 2, and Xbox Live, I liked Killzone since it had bots to play with on the multiplayer games), but when it comes down to it, Sony over extended itself at the 2005 E3 with incomplete hardware (the final PS3 was bigger) and vaporware games ("projections" of what the games might look like) all in a desperate effort to steal Microsoft's thunder.

Uh, yeah, I guess it just sits there... when I'm not playing Ninja Gaiden Sigma or Virtua Fighter. (?) What else is it supposed to do? Clean my house?

You're supposed to have it Folding or playing Blu-ray movies duh. :D

Just posted this from my PS3 so you can do that, too. ;)

Sooo tempting.... don't know if I can resist if the price drop does happen.

After a hefty $100 price drop, I can't help but realize it's still $500 bucks.

After a hefty $100 price drop, I can't help but realize it's still $500 bucks.

the amazon or CC bundles are worth it, if you were already in the market for a Blu-Ray player, imo, since they throw in the remote.