The PlayStation 3 Thread!

Apollo Leader

argh, sold.

the dude that owns a the harley shop and atv/jetski shop in my city offered me and the k9 guy $$$ for our systems for his newphews. never even made it home. that sucks. but now my wife can take 2 months off work for the baby and we won't be hurting.

drop in the bucket for this guy, $3k each, cash.

SOLD.

i'm sorry, but for that much, i can't say no.

so now we're both out PS3s.

guess the 360 will tide me over.

Great catch Chowser! Trust me you are not missing much with the current launch games :lol:

Edited by Gunbuster

I understand that in some places those queuing up for the past few days got heckled by passer bys?

Anyone witnessed it?

Oh and at these levels of re-sale pricing, I am sure there are many store employees who 'arranged things ' and got themselves/friends/family a few of these consoles and made a nice pre-Xmas bonus.

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter

God it just really makes me sick that there are people out there who want to play the games and keep good care of their system, and they can't get one cause dip shits want to sell theirs to get more money in life.

No offense to some, but it really pisses me off that people do this.....espicalliy like that one guy who bought 100 of those and plans to sell them all......

It also really pisses me off seeing people having fights and riots over a stupid game system that's going to be around for ever.....I don't get wha the attraction is to get a system on launch day, sure it seems cool at first, but once you get down to it, you feel stupid.....I've felt that way twice, once with the PSP and then with the 360, yeah I was happy I got mine, but damn did I feel like such a dork later.

Also I read somewhere (maybe here, maybe another forum), and I agree: all limited high-demand launches should be done by raffle/lottery and not camping. Every one gets an equal chance, etc.

The ebaying madness there's just no solution for, by virtue of it's nature (being high demand and brand new/rare). That's what the staged higher intro price would be for.

I was reading our newspaper (the Omaha World Herald) from a few days ago and it mentioned how one of the largest furniture and electronics stores here in town, the Nebraska Furniture Mart, was getting just an allocation of three PS3's. Instead of having to deal with rioting masses, they decided to donate the three systems to a local charity... they could either give the systems away or raise money by putting the systems on eBay or the like.

When it became clear in the last few weeks that Sony could not even come close to 400,000 systems and in light of what happened with the Xbox 360 and PS2 launches (the PS2 had 500,000 for launch), the right thing would have been to postpone the launch to March. A few years ago, the PSP saw a Japan only launch prior to Christmas of 2004 while the US and the rest of the world didn't see it until March. Though there were acts of sleazyness, inhumanity, and incompetance at all levels (the consumer, the retailers, etc.), Sony should be held accountable for procceeding with this launch when they knew the kind of things that were going to happen, well, happened. The launch of the PS3 left a bad taste in my mouth and will play heavily on me ever getting a PS3.

At least Nintendo obviously knew how to do things right for launching the Wii, though I guess tonight we'll find out how much the events of Friday the 17th will repeat themselves this Sunday...

Ouch I just read that the Gundam game for the PS3 is horrible, slow frame rate, bland maping and small areas to venture out too, and with no online play it makes multiplayer boring since it uses splitscreen.

And there are only a handful of mobile suits apparently available.

Guess I'll just wait for Mobile Ops for the 360 since it uses online play and alot of other stuff.

God it just really makes me sick that there are people out there who want to play the games and keep good care of their system, and they can't get one cause dip shits want to sell theirs to get more money in life.

No offense to some, but it really pisses me off that people do this.....espicalliy like that one guy who bought 100 of those and plans to sell them all......

I hear you Hikuro, I want to open the system up right now and play with it. But it isn't mine and its on Ebay for sale, deadghost wanted to keep the PS3 in the first place but now that he is selling it for profits, it really ticks me off too. <_<

Why didn't Ebay and Yahoo Auctions ban the selling of the system? There are so many PS3s on ebay it looks like every one was bought one for profits...

I want to open the box, I didn't even get to see how sexy the machine looks like... :(

Edited by Ishimaru

Anyone who buys something has the right to resell it. Unless it's CD's tapes or DVD's. (Techincally that is.) The complaining about people doing what they have the right to do is sad.

The worst thing Sony could have done is announce another postponement of the PS3. The problems with violence and poffiteering is not the fault of Sony. It's the fault of the obsessive gaming cuture. The gaming culture is almost as bad as the Gangsta culture.

It's even worse than that. Back in the day you pummeled someone if they banged your wife, stole your car, ran over your dog, whatever. Nowadays, innocent people are being assaulted for a video game console that has NO launch games worth mentioning, not to mention the fact that in 3 months or less you'll be able to walk into a 7-11 and pick up a PS3 for retail price.

The human race's steady decline into a state of lawlessness is really scary. There are times I think we'd be better of if the Zentraedi or those things in Gears of War really DID show up and obliterate the lot of us...

It's even worse than that. Back in the day you pummeled someone if they banged your wife, stole your car, ran over your dog, whatever. Nowadays, innocent people are being assaulted for a video game console that has NO launch games worth mentioning, not to mention the fact that in 3 months or less you'll be able to walk into a 7-11 and pick up a PS3 for retail price.

The human race's steady decline into a state of lawlessness is really scary. There are times I think we'd be better of if the Zentraedi or those things in Gears of War really DID show up and obliterate the lot of us...

If you read Game Informer (I think) they had PS3 vs. Wii section(With cged dinos). It was real bias in the launch games for the Wii, comparing all the games based on graphics in which the articles tried to avoid talking about. Kind of pissed me off since they made real stupid comments...

All though Sony has to release patches for the PS3 on the games being sold for the system. Why?

The system can't even connect to the internet without, and a bunch of other major problems. Did they even fully test this machine?

Not being a fanboy here but I'm just pointing out some of my opinions and some facts.

PS3 first impressions:

1. Bastard is big and heavy. And Shiny. NOt as big as original Xbox but a strong second contender. Feels solid. It is opaque black...so is the SIXAXIS controller btw...looks like a black dualshock but it is actually see thruuuu.

2. Runs quiet like was reported. Drive is quiet as well. Stays cool. Exhaust air blows out the right side and back...warm air but the console itself stays cool to the touch even after hours of use.

3. Very annoying trait: for audio output I can only select one at a time...either the optical out, the PS multi AV connector or HDMI...I can't do one of each (at least I couldn't find a way). I have to switch it manually if I play with my receiver and surround and decide I want the TV speakers only instead. Please change.

4. PS network..it's free, it' up, it's not quite as polished as Live but it's got potential. I must say going online and playing and finding games in Resistance is quite easy...easier than Live even. Kudos to Insomniac.

5. Bluetooth headset for my cell phone paired fine with PS3...used for voice chat in Resistance perfectly...wireless headset!!

6. This is minor too but when you download a demo...it appears in teh XMB when you turn on the system..along with BLARING LOUD music if the demo is Motorstorm or Cash Guns Chaos. I mean...LOUD.

7. Load times with Blu-ray discs being very long compared to 360's fstare DVD drive...not true. Even without installingto the HDD, Ridge 7 is about 12-15 secs loading a race (timed with a watch on 4 diff tracks). WIth the install: 4-6 secs. Resistance seemed the longest with about 15-18 secs between levels.

8. Literally reads almost anything. Plug in an iPod and think you won't find your MP3's...tap triangle and voilea...instant directory! Album slideshow for photos is very slick.

9. Blu-ray player: Looks on par with Panasonic Blu ray player (IE: as good as a $1300 player). Plus it loads faster than either of them (the 360's HD DVD drive is also faster than stand alone HD DVD players). Still has the PS2 type video interface when playing though a lil improved. Remote would be good as I'm just not keen on using the controller for that wireless as it is. It is not a crap player this time around. Breathe a sigh of relief.

10. Wifi connection strength seems weaker than Wii's. Might just be a fluke..I only checked once. It seemed fast but the signal strength reported was low. Still, no problems with playing 40 player online.

Good and sexy hardware but pricey and has some annoying quirks as well. The no 720p set owners must be rabid now for instance. Has incredible graphic potential Motorstorm looks awesome and the physics are as well.

MOre later.

PS3 first impressions:

1. Bastard is big and heavy. And Shiny. NOt as big as original Xbox but a strong second contender. Feels solid. It is opaque black...so is the SIXAXIS controller btw...looks like a black dualshock but it is actually see thruuuu.

I had the chance to play the MotorStorm demo at a Target here in town yesterday. I don't recall if the whole controller was opaque, but I definitely remember the plastic surrounding the Sixaxis' d-pad and it's four buttons being somewhat clear and being able to see into those parts of the controllers.

This was my first time to see a PS3 in person (I also saw one on display at a nearby Wal-Mart, too). Just a few thoughts:

1) Yep this system is big! The curves and its shape do help it make look smaller.

2) The flatscreen I was playing MotorStorm was set to at least 720P. Looked very nice and sharp.

3) The controller. Even on its supporting standing, you can tell it felt a lot lighter with out the force feedback gear and it just flet flimsy. Having no rumble/force feedback deinitely gimps gameplay. Didn't have the chance to try its motion sensitivity (hard to do with it secured to a display).

4) Besides the lacking rumble and what seemed like easy crashes, the game was fun and I think it will do well.

As for the rest of this weekend, I noticed last night that most eBay auctions now have the PS3 finishing out at $1000. Considering that there may only be 250,000+ shipped and sold worldwide (http://nexgenwars.com/ - I'm trying to find other sources, but it looks like Sony missed their 500,000 target by 50%, meaning they were off by over 80% of the original 2 million planned ship for the November launches, ouch!), lessening demand on eBay, the whole dibacle of the launch, public apathy towards the new DVD formats, etc. I feel things are not boding well for the PS3.

Much like the 360, things will pick up once the tightened up hardware, and "good" games pop up. Give it 6 months or so.

I'm so over the PS3 launch now, I'm thinking of picking up a PSP & Ace Combat X instead for now...plus Mobile Ops.

Yeah, that's true.

The only games that get my attentions are MGS4 and Final Fantasy :) .

They'll be released next summer.

My wife and I went to Westfiled Valley Fair mall in San Jose (Santana Row) in the bay area and saw a Nintendo Wii display booth. They have 6 Wiis being tested for consumers. I applauded this move and thought this was a perfect method for reaching out to current and new consumers (it's like those regular display booth by Dell or Palm). It's kind of fun to see the kids working out in playing the boxing games (heck their faces are all red from jumping around and moving their hands). My wife was watching this father and daughter (6 yr old) playing the Wii Baseball and they were having a blast. She said this is the best system to get since it can be used as a tool for family bonding.

Nintendo did a smart move by focussing on the controller's technology than the engine's capability.

IMO, Nintendo won the release of the console over PS3. :)

Great catch Chowser! Trust me you are not missing much with the current launch games :lol:

Edited by rnurmin

2) The flatscreen I was playing MotorStorm was set to at least 720P. Looked very nice and sharp.

That screen was too close to my face, my eyes.... :wacko:

It might have been me bored waiting in line since I kept on going in the store to play it.

Motorstorm overall was very good, but just playing the Wii made that game inferior. All though if the Wii had the power of the PS3 and its innovative gameplay design with the case sleekness, that would be something I'd like to see someday.

Can some one please help me. I bought a ps3 and the spot for $1400 in hopes of selling it on ebay the price is too low should I wait a little longer. like x-mas.

Good luck. prices seem to be leveling out.

Set it up as a Buy It Now option or you may not get your money back.