The 2nd Coming of the YF-19

wolfx

As I've said a few times already, trust me when I say it looks even better than the CAD lineart.

Graham

412050[/snapback]

Graham I would be carefeul with such comments, it might make people think you have handled a prototype, in which case people will start flocking to your door. LOL

As I've said a few times already, trust me when I say it looks even better than the CAD lineart.

Graham

412050[/snapback]

Graham I would be carefeul with such comments, it might make people think you have handled a prototype, in which case people will start flocking to your door. LOL

412082[/snapback]

WHA??? GRAHAMA HAS A PROTOTYPE??? I demand pictures!

:p

Graham

412050[/snapback]

I remember having some initial reservations regarding the CAD 1/60 vf-0s in fighter but we gotta remember that lines can not completely represent the curvature or 3 dimensional shape of the toy.

Given how the vf-0s turned out though, I have no doubt in my mind this will be nothing short of striking.

THere is a picture of a Hasegawa custom, it was blue and has Project Supernova all over it as markings. That , I think was the best rendition of a YF-19 ever made into a figure/model.

I searched the website and came across this, which i'm not sure is the one i was looking for cause i had a better picture of it in my mind.

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/magazi...june02page8.jpg

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/magazi...june02page9.jpg

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/magazi...une02page15.jpg

And to off topic, gah...if the modellers could make kick ass transforming models, the toy companies should be able to cook up some kinda similar toy, though Graham has said it before that construction of a custom model and a toy is very different.

Teh VF-4....what a beaut.

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/magazi...ekifeb19991.jpg

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/magazi...ekifeb19992.jpg

THere is a picture of a Hasegawa custom, it was blue and has Project Supernova all over it as markings. That , I think was the best rendition of a YF-19 ever made into a figure/model.

I searched the website and came across this, which i'm not sure is the one i was looking for cause i had a better picture of it in my mind.

412106[/snapback]

Niiiiiice! I don't even mind the lack of crotch-piece. It actually looks good that way with the landing gear hatch instead. It's not THE YF-19, but that's a 19 variant I like! :)

And to off topic, gah...if the modellers could make kick ass transforming models, the toy companies should be able to cook up some kinda similar toy, though Graham has said it before that construction of a custom model and a toy is very different.

Teh VF-4....what a beaut.

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/magazi...ekifeb19991.jpg

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/magazi...ekifeb19992.jpg

412106[/snapback]

Very very different. Models aren't meant to transform a lot, whereas a toy has to be able to go through multiple transformations and stay in one piece. Durability is one of the big things here. The models are mainly for display but a toy is for play and display. THe styrene on models kits tends to be pretty thin, where as a toy for the most part has thicker plastic.

They serve different purposes. Modelers might be able to make something look freaking awesome but for the most part all your supposed to do with it after its built, is LOOK AT IT. Where as a toy can be played with OR looked at.

Still, yamato's got some amazing sculptors on hand and they can make a hell of a great looking toy.

And I always say this but leave the models to modelers, if they want something they are barely going to mess with and look good they should buy hasegawa. I want a TOY!

The bandai has a pretty "sharp" nose in fighter. But when I look back at it in robot mode:

1800710299545586911_rs.jpg

1883337329128617131_rs.jpg

The boob makes it look different to how it is drawn in the lineart when in robot mode. Lineart can sometimes deform stuff. If looking at the robot mode from the top it would look different to the lineart I bet.

Very very different. Models aren't meant to transform a lot, whereas a toy has to be able to go through multiple transformations and stay in one piece. Durability is one of the big things here. The models are mainly for display but a toy is for play and display. THe styrene on models kits tends to be pretty thin, where as a toy for the most part has thicker plastic.

They serve different purposes. Modelers might be able to make something look freaking awesome but for the most part all your supposed to do with it after its built, is LOOK AT IT. Where as a toy can be played with OR looked at.

Still, yamato's got some amazing sculptors on hand and they can make a hell of a great looking toy.

And I always say this but leave the models to modelers, if they want something they are barely going to mess with and look good they should buy hasegawa. I want a TOY!

I think if bandai had just took the risk and done a PG line of macross they might get the right balance between toy and model. All those fine details would be there, and things like hands might start to feature individual fingers that you can open up and stuff. Because it is all in pieces it would be easy to pack in box. :D

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

The bandai has a pretty "sharp" nose in fighter. But when I look back at it in robot mode:

The boob makes it look different to how it is drawn in the lineart when in robot mode. Lineart can sometimes deform stuff. If looking at the robot mode from the top it would look different to the lineart I bet.

I think if bandai had just took the risk and done a PG line of macross they might get the right balance between toy and model. All those fine details would be there, and things like hands might start to feature individual fingers that you can open up and stuff. Because it is all in pieces it would be easy to pack in box. :D

412197[/snapback]

Oh I agree, in fact I'd love MG and PG kits. Its just that fans tend to compare the yammies so much to the hasegawa and scratchbuilds, and its such an unfair comparison.

BTW the fire valk had such a squashed fighter mode, and the canards from the 1/100 kit. Talk about out of scale.

are they still considered sculptors when they just design it on autocad?

412248[/snapback]

I think they do a rough initial rough sculpture, then go to CAD, and then sculpt further refinements. I also think perhaps they come up with the transformation scheme.

Maybe they come up with the overall aesthetic as well, Billy Wong did the 1/60 VF-1 primarily. Nishikawa did the 1/48 and it turned out way better and different.

I'm no designer but if it were me, i'd draw a rough draft on CAD, make something "physical" so I sculpt something based on the rough draft, and then make refinements to both as i go along. I mean its better to have something physical to touch and mess around with rather than just CAD-ing all the way.

I'm no designer but if it were me, i'd draw a rough draft on CAD, make something "physical" so I sculpt something based on the rough draft, and then make refinements to both as i go along. I mean its better to have something physical to touch and mess around with rather than just CAD-ing all the way.

412285[/snapback]

I agree!

I wouldn't be surprised if the actual procedures are along those lines.

412197[/snapback]

The Bandai 1/65 scale VF-19Kai & VF-19S toys have terrible proportions in both fighter and battroid modes.

In fighter mode, the LERX extend all the way to the hybrid sensors, which is completely wrong.

Graham

412197[/snapback]

The Bandai 1/65 scale VF-19Kai & VF-19S toys have terrible proportions in both fighter and battroid modes.

In fighter mode, the LERX extend all the way to the hybrid sensors, which is completely wrong.

Graham

412296[/snapback]

VERY! Its canards say it all. People like me thought it'd bea n nice follow up to the 1/55 VF-1, boy was I wrong@the age of 13.

I always thought it looked like an FSW legioss. Its only saving grace was size, durability, and perfect transformation.

I don´t know , If only the curved dorsal section aka. ¨Belly¨ of the foward fuselage was just slimmer by , say , 2mm, that would make this toy perfect in every sense. Yeah , call me nitpicky but if that´s all it takes to make this a perfect piece valkness then it should be taken into consideration.

I´m presuming the chances of reducing the belly section of figther mode is pretty slim since those 2mm must be crucial for the landing gear and the whole transformation process , just 2 mm changes all of the toy mechanisms and proportions , but damn , it´s just 2mm.

I guess I can live with it though

post-553-1151575494_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aegis!

412285[/snapback]

If Yamato are smart and up to date then they should have a rapid prototyping machine, these can produce parts straight from 3d cad data in a cheap plastic for testing fit and such without having to go to the expense of contstructing moulds first.

Im sure yamato did that, hence why graham got his prototype so early!

But the thing with 3D printing is that sometimes there are shapes that cannot be made by layer-ing plastic upon plastic....isnt it?

I'm sure this pretty-girl is going to thin up and fill out a bit from line-art to when we see pictures of a prototype! :)

*disclaimer: No I haven't seen anything. :p It's just a hunch, and I sure hope I'm not like Mink being a horrible fortune teller.

Im sure yamato did that, hence why graham got his prototype so early!

But the thing with 3D printing is that sometimes there are shapes that cannot be made by layer-ing plastic upon plastic....isnt it?

412369[/snapback]

I don't think so, one of the clever things about 3d printing is that it can make objects seamlessly that would be impossible to make in one piece in real life.

e.g. a ball inside a ball, it will be seamless all over & you just need to make a small hole to drain the unused plastic powder out of it.

I am sold on this new Yamato 1/60 YF-19 already.

From the lineart comparison that Graham posted, one of the differences stick out like a sore thumb. In Yamato's CAD design, the rear thruster looks smaller compared to the other linearts. Is this correct?

I have attached the pic and circle the area I was referring to.

post-282-1151604518_thumb.jpg

I'm sure that due to the previous phenomenal molds and cast (I.E. 1/48 vf-1's, 1/60 VF-0), Yamato will try and maintain their track record of giving the best possible models/toys for consumers. And I'm sure that all our concerns out there have been already mentioned by Graham to them, and for him to say that it's looking to be better than any other transformable YF-19 out there says something. Obviously, we all have been waiting sooo long for this, and because of that, we're scared that a yf-19 that's not completely accurate means that our wait has been in vain (maybe a little too dramatic). We all have been so nitpicky about this because we want it to be perfect. But like anything, the CAD is merely a rough draft. I'm positive that it's gonna go through some more polishing and retuning phases before it comes out for production (much like the Dodge Challenger concept car). Just hoping for the best I guess. :lol:

P.S. just wanted to say thanks to everyone for making this site the first one I go to when I sign on!

Graham, Thanks for the comparsion of the line art.

It just makes me want the 19 even more.

I am going to be so broke by the end of the year that I will welcome coal as christmas gift. I will use it to heat the house.

Graham, Thanks for the comparsion of the line art.

It just makes me want the 19 even more.

I am going to be so broke by the end of the year that I will welcome coal as christmas gift. I will use it to heat the house.

412464[/snapback]

Yup yup! Thanks for taking the time to do all that!

Graham the comparison page is great, thanks for doing it. Though looking at it does bring up a couple of niggling issues, small stuff and I do not mean to nitpick. I only say this to add constructive criticism and becuase we all know that to an extent you have Yamato's ear. At this point the only issues I see with the overall design are these:

1) The gunpod does seem to be too short, small fix really at this point, it just needs to be lengthened more then anything that I can see.

2) The legs are a little short and stocky. I realize this is probably to make it look better in all three modes and in to incorporate whatever magic they will need to get the arms low so it is livable.

Overall though it looks 100x better then original and the changes do make sense in order to make it perfect variable. I love the YF-19 but I do see that a lot of anime magic went into its design, and probably the YF-21's as well, though to a lesser degree. Also as you said these are preliminary CAD drawings and I am sure a lot tweaking is left to go, I personnally can't wait.

Graham the comparison page is great, thanks for doing it.  Though looking at it does bring up a couple of niggling issues, small stuff and I do not mean to nitpick.  I only say this to add constructive criticism and becuase we all know that to an extent you have Yamato's ear.  At this point the only issues I see with the overall design are these:

1)  The gunpod does seem to be too short, small fix really at this point, it just needs to be lengthened more then anything that I can see.

2)  The legs are a little short and stocky.  I realize this is probably to make it look better in all three modes and in to incorporate whatever magic they will need to get the arms low so it is livable.

Overall though it looks 100x better then original and the changes do make sense in order to make it perfect variable.  I love the YF-19 but I do see that a lot of anime magic went into its design, and probably the YF-21's as well, though to a lesser degree.  Also as you said these are preliminary CAD drawings and I am sure a lot tweaking is left to go, I personnally can't wait.

412475[/snapback]

The legs seem to bealmost the same length, but are definitely thicker on the yamato, which is probably why they look a lot shorter in comparison.