The 2nd Coming of the YF-19

wolfx

The CG is old news (from Yamato's standpoint), Graham's been mentioning how he has seen the prototype for a while now by saying "it looks much better in person" and it's supposed to be out in a few months.

Thew new September 06 issues of Hobby Japan & Dengeki Hobby magazines, just out have pics of the painted YF-19 in fighter mode. Looks sweet. I'll get them scanned and posted when I get home tonight.

Graham

418747[/snapback]

Great... here comes another loooong day of waiting...and checking the site...and waiting some more...and checking the site again...

some seller at SDCC was trying to unload the 1/72 YF-19 blue Game edition for $220....

i am SOOOO glad this is coming out so that those will drop down to a reasonable price to complete my 1/72 line.....

pluse we get a new spiffy 1/60 scale version.. =] looking foward to seeing new pics!!

Fighter and Battroid will be awesome.

The real test is the legs and the shoulder positions in the GERWALK mode. I want to see that. ;)

If the leg posability is anywhere near as good as the VF-0 or VF-1...then I'm sure that it will be fine.

*keeps a sharp eye out for Graham*

*Watches Graham's status intently*..... :ph34r:

Edited by kensei

Guys,

Sorry for the delay. Just had to feck around for an hour reinstalling the driver for my bleeping antique scanner! :angry:

Anyway, below are the scans of the fighter mode of the upcoming 1/60 YF-19, as featured in the new September 2006 issues of Hobby Japan & Dengeki Hobby magazines.

A few points of note: -

1) The cover behind the neck looks like it's been incorrectly painted grey, instead of black.

2) AFAIK, these pics are of the early painted resin sculpt. Please bear in mind that the actual ABS & die-cast metal test shots from the actual molds may look a little different.

3) Note the correctly located and correct length front landing gear. :D

Anyway, enjoy..........................

Hobby Japan (click to enlarge)

hj-yf-19.jpg

Dengeki Hobby (click to enlarge)

dh-yf-19-2.jpg

I'll get better scans up in the magazine section and toy section at the weekend.

Graham

SICK SICK SICK!!!

I still wish that the wings were a tad more wider and longer, but that's just fine.

Don't care 'bout the underbelly no more.

Canards look plenty big enough too.

Edited by kensei

hooray for living in the Southern Hemisphere! I get to see the pics before all you yankees! :p

That's quite a wide seam line down the back of the head.. :unsure:

hooray for living in the Southern Hemisphere! I get to see the pics before all you yankees! :p

That's quite a wide seam line down the back of the head..  :unsure:

418811[/snapback]

Kind of like the VF-1 eh?

Don't think we will ever get a VF head without a seem line, it makes it easier to do a joint at the neck.

Unless we move to polycaps, but please don't Yamato....

I withdraw my wing remark. It looks like if the wings were any longer, they'd hit the groud while the YF-19 was in Battroid mode.

Edited by kensei

That's quite a wide seam line down the back of the head..  :unsure:

418811[/snapback]

Remember this is a painted resin proto, so chances are this will be fixed in production.

I'd really like to see a dead-on top and side shot of this painted proto. It's hard to judge proportions from an isometric shot.

Wow what a difference real 3d and some paint make - that does indeed look amazing compared to the CAD wireframe art. Thanks for the pics, Graham.

Anyone have any firm info (guesses) on a release date? I suppose we've been waiting long enough for this one to allow them to iron out any kinks at this stage, but now that I've seen the real deal ... I want this now!

Less than half a year? Sometime after the current rerelease of the VF-1A Max, Stealth FPs, VF-0A and VF-1 Angelbirds. They tend to, but not all the time, go in order of announcement.

EDIT: Go the crapola stickers. Takatoys and Anasazi, we got more work for you to do. ;)

Edited by kensei

Hm. Wings look so small. It really needs at least a few centimeters added to the length of each wing. So long as the joints the wings cant back on in batt mode are nice and stiff as they should be the added length wouldn't be a problem. And those ventral fins would look tiny on batt mode as they are now.

Longer wings and bigger ventral fins would be much better. But I suspect this thing won't be changing much at this point.

I sense that the wings are a weak point, might be a Garland thing.

How storng were the wing connections on the 1/72?

418821[/snapback]

Wing connections were very strong on the 1/72. The only breakages I ever saw or heard about on the 1/72 YF-19, were: -

1) snapped knees, due to how thin the plastic knee was (solved on the VF-19A when they went to a full knee). This is caused during transformation from fighter to battroid if too much force is used to pull the lower legs away from the arms.

2) Infamous 'Tab-B' on ver. 1 YF-19 (Solved on ver. 2 and VF-19A with redesigned stronger tab).

3) Broken blue plastic hip joint on one of my YF-19 ver.2. The blue plastic hip joint bar had sheared in two, where it joins to the intake section. Only heard of this happening once and don't understand how it happened, as that YF-19 had been sitting in a box for 5 years in my closet!

Graham

Hooray. Now I can go to sleep after waiting all night for graham to get these scans up.

Would have loved to see underneath where the gunpod sits. I wonder where they'll put magnets on this and how it all clicks together? One thing I can't stand about the 1/72 is how the chest isn't firmly locked into place. Can you imagine someone picking it up by the top half and the reaction on thier face as the whole robot just flops out of thier grip?

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Thanks Graham for the pics! That thing's gorgeous!

One issue of concern though was I was looking at the 1/60 version, and noticed that there still looks to be a noticeable gap between the head and shield. I hope you can't see through the plane from that section like in the 1/72 one (I wonder if they can ever completely close that gap or if it's another "anime Magic" kind of thing).

But man, gotta say, Yamato really is starting to produce higher quality products. I was looking at the back/legs portions and compared them with the 1/72 one, and it was like looking at the masterpiece optimus prime vs the G1 I had when I was a kid. It's amazing how much your imagination compensates for you. :)

Thanks Graham for the pics! That thing's gorgeous!

One issue of concern though was I was looking at the 1/60 version, and noticed that there still looks to be a noticeable gap between the head and shield. I hope you can't see through the plane from that section like in the 1/72 one (I wonder if they can ever completely close that gap or if it's another "anime Magic" kind of thing).

418838[/snapback]

I think it's a resin thing. The same thing happened with the VF-0.

Looks awesome..love the streamline of the YF-19 in fighter mode. The CAD pics doesnt really do it justice. For the musculine looks of the exhaust/hips..looks quite close to that of the anime..instead of the skinny thigh/legs syndrome seen in the cad pics. Arms/shoulders look quite proportion as well. Notice that yamato is using clear red plastic for the optics lens embedded in the nose area same as the VF-0S, wonder the visor in the head is of clear plastic green as well.

Graham, is this the exact color that is going to be used on the mass produced version, love the light beige/white on the prototype as compared to the 1/72 which has a dark beige color.

If all goes well, this could the macross release of the year. :)

The front shot's gap is very obvious but the back shot shows the gap gone, or maybe its the camera angle. In any case, this looks hot!! I'm guessing based on the VF-0's release date, we'll see at least 5-6 more of these hobby mag shots before we see the actual product and that's 5-6 months. :(

Thanks for the pics Graham~

All the gaps and seems we see will probably be a non issue when the production version comes out... it was the case with every resin mold so no sweat~ B))

I wish we can see a good side view of the proto with the landing gear up... just to see how the under belly looks in full solid 3 dimensional form. it may not be a problem at all...

One Question Graham, Will the point where the wings attach to the leg (the squarish piece) be diecast or a strong chunk of plastic?

I kinda see a draw back for both cases as a plastic piece might be a tad fragile and a big-square-shiny-slightly-off-colored diecast metal piece might make it look off.

I guess we'll have to wait and see~ :D

Nice, thanks for the scans Graham... it does look better, from what can be seen, than the CAD drawings. I suppose the wings could be a tad longer and the V-stabs a bit larger, but overall it looks really good.

As for materials, I would assume, based on Yamato's releases since the 1/48, that the 1/60 YF-19 will be all plastic, with some diecast for critical stress prone areas. IMO, it should be all plastic, since it will look so much better that way... more details, better shape, no paint-to-plastic mismatch, no paint chipping off metal parts, less mass (lower shipping and less breakage due to accidental drops).

I'm actually hoping this gets released no earlier than late November; or better yet, first quarter of 07. With the VF-0A(s) and the VF-1A Angel Bird due out later this year, I could use the break.

Edited by mechaninac