The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya Thread

JValk

I'm not interested in the fears of mere mortals! I'll only be remotely interested in your fear if you've got psyonic powers and are able to project that fear onto others thereby de-stabilizing the quantum flux wave particles that bind the universe together and threatening the existance of everything.

Then I MIGHT be interested :)

Pete

Welcome to the Holy Order of Suzumiya. Here is your Ultra-Fan armband.

And remember, you must never let The Suzumiya learn of her gift. Or become bored.

Also, if they animate Sighs of Suzumiya Haruhi, the movie will become even more hilarious.

Sighs is the "making of" story. And a lot of the random nonsense, like Yuki's ad-lipped leap attack after the Mikuru Beam, are immensely more amusing.

You might notice that the light reflector(that piece of cardboard Koizumi's stuck holding up in several scenes) is taped together when he wanders in-frame for later scenes. There's a reason.

Edited by JB0

I'm not interested in the fears of mere mortals! I'll only be remotely interested in your fear if you've got psyonic powers and are able to project that fear onto others thereby de-stabilizing the quantum flux wave particles that bind the universe together and threatening the existance of everything.

Then I MIGHT be interested :)

Pete

Well i have a birthmark on my chest that looks somewhat like a Flux Capacitor...... :mellow:

I don't use torrents. I'm already downloading episode 3 :) Using Flashget and some Lithuanian thingy :)...

Anyways - I'm watching episode 1 - half way through - but here are my impressions:

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is fantastic! I love the camera work! I love the music, the faux "anime battles" and I love the cameo by Haruhi and all of the "errors" and "non-scripted" things - like when the witch is walking away after delivering her ominous thread and we see a guy get into his car in the background, and then as she turns to walk away we hear the banal, every day sound of a car starting and joining up with traffic. BRILLIANT :)

I love the little details - like when she keeps adjusting her cat who keeps falling off.

But of course Asahina is stealing the show :) "psst! This is where you faint!" :)

She's truly great :)

What a wonderful poetic beautiful anime :)

I can't wait for my figma figures. Weeeeeee!! :)

Pete

and so it begins... :D

Me too, love this show. Its on a totally different level of awesomeness than most anime.

I'm actually very surprised that a Togo fan is reduced into a haruhi-fanboi. I mean sure its one of the better anime but still its full of moe and various other "no nos" that ppl like you will stay away from.

:mellow:

I'm actually very surprised that a Togo fan is reduced into a haruhi-fanboi. I mean sure its one of the better anime but still its full of moe and various other "no nos" that ppl like you will stay away from.

:mellow:

Oh, no no, I love this show. Hell, dude, I watched Lucky Star, too. Good stuff!

My guess for the second season is that it'll be roughly like the first.. one main storyline, intersected by a few random stories from throughout the books. Rhapsody really only makes sense as an opener for Disappearance, and the entire computer fiasco on the Haruhi website was taken directly from that story, so there's no reason to expect they won't be using that for the main storyline. Not to mention, the whole thing is a freaking epic time pretzel, and I can't wait to read the discussions on it. ^_^

Btw, I agree, they need to show the filming of the movie somehow, but I almost think it would lose something in anime form. Explaining all the things that happened in one episode might cramp things too much... although, they could split it up like they did the Lone Island story. To be honest though, I'd much rather see the Snow Mountain story done.. and that would probably take 3 episodes in its entirety, due to the beginning of the story.

To be completely honest.. as long as they get the disappearance story in there, I almost don't care what else they do. If tradition holds, they may work up one more original episode... if they do 14 more, you could probably do Disappearance in 6-7... 2 for the movie filming.. I dunno. I'd have to go thru the novels again to see what stand alone stories might work. The ghost hunt is a nice stand alone, as is the one where Asahina takes Kyon to the tea shop... so many ideas. ^_^

What I kind of actually expect though is for them to put the setup for a third season directly in here. There are plenty of stories for it, and the Disappearance story leaves a HUGE open ending when it finishes, to be concluded later. I can easily imagine them finishing the second season with the end of Disappearance, and Kyon knowing what he has to do, but just not knowing when.

Finally, as unlikely as it would be.. I want the Haruhi Theater stories. :lol: Those are hilarious, comletely nonsensical, and they actually do tie into the main stories (in a completely bass-ackwards way). If anyone wants to read them, I can post links, they're not very long, and don't intersect with the main plot at all. They're just random side stories that most likely will not have any effect on the rest of the series.

I'm trying very hard not to go into full Haruhism mode, and I think I'll be able to hang on. I obsessed over the novels a while back, and blew through them very quickly, so already knowing the stories will probably help ground me a bit now. :lol:

Edit: Gah, just looking over the stories, there's so many I want to see ^_^ The snow mountain syndrome would be a fun one, or the one where some football player falls in love with Nagato. I don't think they'll get into the heavy duty plot in "Intrigues of Haruhi Suzumiya".. that's more of a lead into the last volume, and there's no finish for that as of yet. I just wonder if they have enough to make a 3rd season.. if they aren't careful about what's in the 2nd season, they might need a 3rd to finish the story and tie up loose ends.

Edited by Chronocidal

Btw, I agree, they need to show the filming of the movie somehow, but I almost think it would lose something in anime form. Explaining all the things that happened in one episode might cramp things too much... although, they could split it up like they did the Lone Island story. To be honest though, I'd much rather see the Snow Mountain story done.. and that would probably take 3 episodes in its entirety, due to the beginning of the story.

Making of should be a core arc, like Melancholy was.

If Disappearance fills that role this season... awww, they can do two core arcs.

If tradition holds, they may work up one more original episode...

Please no.... Someday in the Rain was largely worthless.

Finally, as unlikely as it would be.. I want the Haruhi Theater stories. :lol: Those are hilarious, comletely nonsensical, and they actually do tie into the main stories (in a completely bass-ackwards way). If anyone wants to read them, I can post links, they're not very long, and don't intersect with the main plot at all. They're just random side stories that most likely will not have any effect on the rest of the series.

Still just two of those?

Hell, the series' premiere episode was Adventures of Mikuru Asahina. I think hilarious and nonsensical is actually REQUIRED.

I'm trying very hard not to go into full Haruhism mode, and I think I'll be able to hang on. I obsessed over the novels a while back, and blew through them very quickly, so already knowing the stories will probably help ground me a bit now. :lol:

Give in to your fanboy.

You know you want to.

Edit: Gah, just looking over the stories, there's so many I want to see ^_^ The snow mountain syndrome would be a fun one, or the one where some football player falls in love with Nagato.

Yuki stories are always good!

I'd actually like to see Endless Eight done. Personal whim.

I'm not sure it would convert well to animation, though. So much of it is conveyed in Kyon's impressions, which don't always make it to the anime totally intact, occasionally with awkward results. (Mysterique sign. Random liquid helium line, goooo! I'm still not sure why they kept that line in, other than Kyon was too quiet.)

Melancholy V had a similar problem. The pure sterility of

closed space

is a hard thing to illustrate, especially with the limits of animation reducing the contrast with

the "real" world.

. Most of Kyon's impressions are cut, presumably, for time. So it winds up being somewhat underwhelming. Especially when

the closed space collapses.

(Sanitized to protect Lady Suzumiya's newest acolyte from spoilage.)

I can see Endless Eight suffering from similar issues.

I'm still torn on Day of Sagitarrius. Animating everyone IN the game was priceless, but the climax was so much more impressive in text, though I can see where simplifying it made for better animation .

Last quibble, and one I can't figure out why it happened...

In Melancholy III you can clearly see Kyon parking by the no parking signs. They even take time to focus on it as Kyon rides up.

In the book it's left ambiguous. Kyon never saw the sign when he was parking, obviously. Maaaybe he was in a rush and just missed the sign.

Seems odd to add that focus on the signage to me. It changes the general tone of that sequence, given Kyon is learning about the events of Three Years Ago and what kind of person Haruhi is at that point.

Man, I have an urge to reread everything now.

GIMME BOOK TEN!!!

Edited by JB0

I forgot to add - this anime would make a great theater play. It's like tailor made to be acted out on stage IMO, which is one of the things that makes it all the more lovable (for me).

Pete

Still just two of those?

Hell, the series' premiere episode was Adventures of Mikuru Asahina. I think hilarious and nonsensical is actually REQUIRED.

Two is far too few, I agree... though the problem is, the way those stories work, they could theoretically go on forever. There's no set conclusion, and all signs point to those stories actually being in a

parallel universe

of sorts, with no effect on the actual storyline. The only possible reason for them existing that I can see so far is that

the entire Snow Mountain Syndrome story may have been another time loop, and the mansion was just the final iteration of the loop, when they escaped. This is the only place Kyon ever makes any reference to the Haruhi Theater material in the normal story, and it's a vague half memory, similar to Endless Eight, when he starts having deja vu.

Anywho, I really just want to see the crazyness of dropping the characters into random fantasy settings. If this were the U.S., that plot line alone would be it's own series (now that I think of it, it sounds like Sliders :lol: )

I'd actually like to see Endless Eight done. Personal whim.

Same here, I love time loops, or time travel in general, which is why I REALLY want to see them make "The Intrigues of Haruhi Suzumiya"... the time shenanigans in that book were great. But that would have to be the core story for another season due to its length, plus it's a big lead-in to the unfinished plotline in vol 9.

I do think Endless Eight would suffer a bit from being crammed into one episode. I need to re-read that one, I don't remember if they actually told about more than one loop.

I'm still torn on Day of Sagitarrius. Animating everyone IN the game was priceless, but the climax was so much more impressive in text, though I can see where simplifying it made for better animation .

I do need to read it again, but I loved the more in depth explanation of the game in the novel. The animation was great for showing the battle happening, but the details of the strategy got lost, and a lot of Asahina's cuteness was lost in the process when they didn't go more into how lost she actually was in the game. ^_^

This episode is also why I want to see Haruhi Theater done so much. Having them act out parts in a game again would be awesome to see.

It's actually pretty funny, everytime I see that episode, it makes me want to go play Homeworld. While the mechanics are a bit different, it's similar enough that a Homeworld "Day of Sagittarius" mod could be awesome. That's actually one thing I think they glossed over in the episode btw.. it WAS a lot closer to Homeworld.. I think Asahina got stuck with all the mining duties too. :lol: Or maybe it was just managing weapons supply ships.. again, I'll have to re-read it all.

Edited by Chronocidal

Please no.... Someday in the Rain was largely worthless.

[...]

Guess tastes differ ^_^ , I loved Someday in the rain for it's atmospheric mood.

Edited by Bri

I forgot to add - this anime would make a great theater play. It's like tailor made to be acted out on stage IMO, which is one of the things that makes it all the more lovable (for me).

Pete

well, the closest thing to that for now would be the live haruhi concert, where the seiyuus acted out their roles live on stage. :p

Guess tastes differ ^_^ , I loved Someday in the rain for it's atmospheric mood.

Given a full ten minutes of it is Yuki sitting in a corner reading a book...

I mean, I love Yuki, but... she can't carry a scene by herself. Especially not alone.

I mean, I love Yuki, but... she can't carry a scene by herself. Especially not alone.

I always considered that to be a playfull jab at Anno for his extended shots.

Speeking of playful - it's interesting to note that this anime has the same occasional background music as the "high school scenes" from Neon Genesis Evangelion - specifically the "chirping crickets" sound, as I call it.

I've watched about 7 or 8 episodes - can't really remember because I think I fell asleep at some point - I know I made it through the island episode and the one after that probably half way but it's kind of a blurr.

The "Boredom/Baseball" episode is one of my favorites.

In general, it seems interesting to me that Asahina and Haruhi are contextual inter-changeable mobile polar opposites.

What do I mean?

Well - notice that in the context of a group setting, Haruhi is loud, blusterous, talkative and extrovertive. In the same context of a group setting, Asahina is shy, bashful, ashamed - I wouldn't say "intro-verted" but certainly passive as opposed to Haruhi who is active.

But

When the context changes, and Asahina is in more intimate settings (namely with only Kyon OR with Kyon's sister) - she becomes playful, spontaneous, happy - active. Haruhi on the other hand, when she is in similar settings (with Kyon) becomes remote, melancholic and oscilates between "baka!" type statements or making distant faces.

If Haruhi is God - then does this make Asahina God's opposite?

Asahina is the devil? :)

In any event - this is by far one of the best shows (not just anime) that I've watched since...well...in a long long time. I'm not going to compare it to super robot or mecha anime because that would be unfair. So - this is probably one of the best shows I've watched since...hm... let's see...what did I watch a long time ago and like... hmm...

You know - the only thing I can think of is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - which was downright fun - but totally different ball park. I can't say I recall ever watching a non-super/real robot anime that I enjoyed as much as I'm enjoying this.

That's a good thing - because often times one gets the impression that anime might be impossible without robots.

Clearly this shows proves otherwise.

Although it would be nice to muse on what kind of mecha these people would use - if ever :)

Pete

She is not really the subject of the scene I feel, she just blends in to the clubroom as if she was part of it. The whole episode is a bit of a day in the life of the SOS-dan. The rain, the slow pace the back ground noise the different camera angles. Just like an outsider looking in. I think it is also a Miyazaki homage. The final scene with Haruhi and Kyon is brilliant.

I always considered that to be a playfull jab at Anno for his extended shots.

Aye, reminded me a lot of the hospital, elevator and train scenes in evangelion aswell.

Speeking of playful - it's interesting to note that this anime has the same occasional background music as the "high school scenes" from Neon Genesis Evangelion - specifically the "chirping crickets" sound, as I call it.

Aye, quite a few eva references in the series. Subtle ones like the rail road crossing or more blunt ones, later on. But better not to spoil those.

Although it would be nice to muse on what kind of mecha these people would use - if ever :)

Pete

Just wait till Days of Saggetarius. "Gund**** Hashiin!"

Edited by Bri

She is not really the subject of the scene I feel, she just blends in to the clubroom as if she was part of it. The whole episode is a bit of a day in the life of the SOS-dan.

So it's ten minutes of an empty room?

The rain, the slow pace the back ground noise the different camera angles. Just like an outsider looking in. I think it is also a Miyazaki homage. The final scene with Haruhi and Kyon is brilliant.

Honestly, I'd like it a lot more without the big gaps of "absolutely nothing is happening." But as-is, the pacing is wonky as hell.

The ending of that one IS one of my favorites, along with Live Alive's.

You don't get to see Haruhi's "softer side" very often.

Just wait till Days of Saggetarius. "Gund**** Hashiin!"

IKKIMAS! Or not!

Or maybe not... Day of Sagitarrius has the preview for Live Alive(in the original broadcast order).

"LISTEN TO MY SONG!"

"Huh? BOMBA!"

So it's ten minutes of an empty room?

hehe yep, that's about right. I know it sounds dull but I felt it fit the story as moment of tranquility amid the storm.

Pete did pose a rather intruiging question which mecha each member of the SOS san would pilot. Keeps running through my heads so here's my vote:

Haruhi: Is more Bombaa then Nekki and can play a guitar while doing something else so a VF-19 Fire Valkyrie.

Kyon: The one normal person who ends up doing the grunt work but gets the job done while making a big mess: Leona Ozaki's "Bonaparte"

Yuki: What else but Eva Unit 00

Itsuki: Hmm an ESPer would need a psycho frame. A RX-93 Nu Gundam.

Mikuru: The girl that could give Noriko a run for her money on the gainax bounce: Buster Machine 7

Moving away from mecha and back to cute girls for a moment...

Is everyone familiar with Misa Kikouden's Haruhi Suzumiya cosplay? Has this been posted and I'm late to the party or have I managed to give people a nice surprise?

fkwlfl.jpg

Pete

Moving away from mecha and back to cute girls for a moment...

Is everyone familiar with Misa Kikouden's Haruhi Suzumiya cosplay? Has this been posted and I'm late to the party or have I managed to give people a nice surprise?

http://i39.tinypic.com/fkwlfl.jpg

Pete

I like Arisa Mizuhara's cosplay for Haruhi best.

5d50c94d122720_full.jpg

I like Arisa Mizuhara's cosplay for Haruhi best.

Hm... yes.. but... there is a very specific reason I am inquiring as to whether people are familiar with Misa Kikouden's Haruhi Suzumiya cosplay.... namely - the pic I posted is the only one where she has all her clothes on :)

Pete

Hm... yes.. but... there is a very specific reason I am inquiring as to whether people are familiar with Misa Kikouden's Haruhi Suzumiya cosplay.... namely - the pic I posted is the only one where she has all her clothes on :)

Pete

Enquiring minds want to know...

riiighhhtttt....if that's your kinda thing, you might wanna google for "The Melancholy of Suzumiya Hahiru"

Honestly, I found her by googling Haruhi Suzumiya. All I wanted was a nice sig of her to demonstrate my new religious affiliation (hey - does Haruhism fall under the "no religion" part of the rules at MW? :) ) ...

But instead I got this cosplaying porno chick :)

Oh well...

Enquiring minds want to know...

1. google: haruhi suzumiya

2. click on "graphics" on the upper left hand side of your screen.

3. Open the Link with this pictrue attached to it:

2z3zbqt.jpg

Then follow the trail :)

To be honest - it's not a very good set of erotic shots. I hate the "lift skirt" / "show panties shots - I find the two pics I posted far more appealing, and in fact often times the more clothes the better (after all - the outfit makes her look sexy)

But - so ended my first attempt at acquiring a sig signifying my new religion.

Dag.

Pete

Honestly, I found her by googling Haruhi Suzumiya. All I wanted was a nice sig of her to demonstrate my new religious affiliation (hey - does Haruhism fall under the "no religion" part of the rules at MW? :) ) ...

I'm sure Our Lady Suzumiya can find us a loophole to exploit. She probably gets along really well with the Hory Froating Head.

Crap in a hat. Some part of my brain just decided that Kawamori's disembodied cranium is what the Integrated Data Sentient Entity Or Whatever The Heck Yuki Called Her Boss looks like.

I blame all of you for this.

Edited by JB0