The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya Thread

JValk

Bump! Haruhi-ism must not die!

Seriously, though...

Someone added Yuki to Mugen.

While this video isn't the best use of the character(see

for better applied use), it wins it all back in presentation style.

Poor Ken and Ryu never stood a chance...

For those unfamiliar, Mugen is a homebrew fighting game with an open character format and roster, so anyone can add a character if they can imagine it.

I got a friend of mine to translate Newtype.

The title was "Haruhi Returns... in DVD."

Sorry, I was a little to excited there too. =\

:'(

I gather the DVDs are extended versions, though. That should be worth something.

And during the pre-release hype, I heard they were going to have a commentary track... by Haruhi. If I knew any amount of japanese, I'd buy them just for that.

• 2 weeks later...

The question is, what would they use for a second series? We've seen almost all of books 1 and 3 and we've already seen the punch line from book 2. I'm really liking what's been translated of book 4 and wouldn't mind seeing that animated. Also the short story from book 3 that didn't make it (Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody) would be nice.

In some ways though, I wonder if not animating more might be the better decision. Can they keep up with the same level of quality? As we've seen time and time again, a bad follow-up can ruin a show completely.

You do realise there are 8 novels out at the moment, 9th one is either out or coming, and the anime's only covered up to book 5 (Day of Sagittarius) with some skipping along the way?

Plenty more material for another series. :) Heck, the current ongoing storyline in the novel which has to do with the movie they shot for the festival, that there's already half of a 13 episode series easy. Make that the main story for the second series, kind of like how Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi I~V was for the first series, and cherry pick good chapters from the rest of the books for other episodes, and you're good to go.

Can't wait for the movie/OVA due out soon supposedly to follow on straight from the TV series. Yay.

You do realise there are 8 novels out at the moment, 9th one is either out or coming, and the anime's only covered up to book 5 (Day of Sagittarius) with some skipping along the way?

Plenty more material for another series. :) Heck, the current ongoing storyline in the novel which has to do with the movie they shot for the festival, that there's already half of a 13 episode series easy. Make that the main story for the second series, kind of like how Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi I~V was for the first series, and cherry pick good chapters from the rest of the books for other episodes, and you're good to go.

Can't wait for the movie/OVA due out soon supposedly to follow on straight from the TV series. Yay.

I know that. The fact that I was taling about the content of the books should've been a pretty good indicator of this. You also completely missed my point, which was getting people to speculate on what would be used in a theoretical sequal.

The problem with using the second novel is, as I said above if you'd bother to read it, is that we've already seen the movie itself. It robs the story of its impact. I can see *maybe* doing a single episode of them making the movie (or a two parter, either way, it'd condense down fairly easily).

Can you cite a source for this movie/OVA? There was a false rumor that someone started about a second season, but other than that, I haven't seen anything on any of the news outlets.

i think theres plenty of material for there to be a second season, hell im sure haruhi would have been 26 eps, for not kyoto digimation already being booked for kanon(which we dont really need the remake for, considering its not that old). i think haruhi deserves a second season. it would be a good thing, some series actually improve with the second season, for instance fmp:fumofu, the sequil to full metal panic, was argueablly much better than fmp. Another series in sorely need of a second season would be genshiken, Kujin unbalance series my ass... but thats another thread.

I think the fact that they've already done the movie makes the "making of" a most wanted feature.

As-is, it's little more than a pre-made Mystery Science Theater clone.

The stuff that truly makes it "A Haruhi Suzumiya Film" is all in the making of story.

The problem with using the second novel is, as I said above if you'd bother to read it, is that we've already seen the movie itself. It robs the story of its impact. I can see *maybe* doing a single episode of them making the movie (or a two parter, either way, it'd condense down fairly easily).

...you haven't read any of the later books, have you? Two parter condensing of the making of the movie?! I don't have the novels handy to refer to, but IIRC it was a pretty darn massive storyline, with Future Mikuru getting seriously involved as well. I'd pay to see that animated :p. I don't think the storyline's fully settled yet either, because Kyon actually left a few time paradoxes behind when fixing up the movie and has still to settle them yet! I'm talking about Books 6, 7 and 8, not Book 2. :)

Not to mention the reason why Haruhi remarks to Kyon that she thinks she's seen him before, the very first time they met, etc etc etc...there is a lot of material left to animate.

OVA, no, I only heard that on the animesuki forums, hence I was saying, "due out soon supposedly".

...you haven't read any of the later books, have you? Two parter condensing of the making of the movie?! I don't have the novels handy to refer to, but IIRC it was a pretty darn massive storyline, with Future Mikuru getting seriously involved as well. I'd pay to see that animated :p. I don't think the storyline's fully settled yet either, because Kyon actually left a few time paradoxes behind when fixing up the movie and has still to settle them yet! I'm talking about Books 6, 7 and 8, not Book 2. :)

Not to mention the reason why Haruhi remarks to Kyon that she thinks she's seen him before, the very first time they met, etc etc etc...there is a lot of material left to animate.

OVA, no, I only heard that on the animesuki forums, hence I was saying, "due out soon supposedly".

I've read the second book, which is them making the movie. Future Mikuru didn't show up at all in it. Also, the bit about Haruhi bit remembering Kyon is a reference to Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, which is the only short story in the third book that didn't make it into the TV series.

I've read the second book, which is them making the movie. Future Mikuru didn't show up at all in it. Also, the bit about Haruhi bit remembering Kyon is a reference to Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, which is the only short story in the third book that didn't make it into the TV series.

Sort of. Two events happened there. The first one is written in Banboo Leaf Rhapsody from The Book 3 as you pointed out, and the latter one is in Book 4. Three years ago, Haruhi asked one question to the man who identified himself "John Smith", and she was satisfied with his answer. This is one of the most important events in this series. Just after John left, another "John Smith" appeared and shouted one incomprehensible line. This line was deeply linked to the origin of SOS-dan. :)

I won't spoil it for you, but what you've read in Book 2 about the movie leads onto what I'm talking about. IIRC, in Book 2 they finished filming pretty much the day before the cultural festival, Kyon and Haruhi both stay back to do the editing, but both fell asleep fairly early on. When they wake up, somehow magically the movie's edited itself. That incident is covered in the later books (Book 7 IIRC), and there's a massive story behind it.

Book 4 + Book 7 together would make eight to ten episodes easy, given Book 1 was a 5 episode arc. Toss in a few good stories from the other books that weren't put in, and you're done for another 13 episode season.

In any case, these are small side issues, the point I was getting at is, there is definitely more than enough source material to do a Season 2 if they wanted to. If the animation and artwork are anything like Season 1, it'll kick sixteen kinds of ass, and that is always a good thing. ;)

Sort of. Two events happened there. The first one is written in Banboo Leaf Rhapsody from The Book 3 as you pointed out, and the latter one is in Book 4. Three years ago, Haruhi asked one question to the man who identified himself "John Smith", and she was satisfied with his answer. This is one of the most important events in this series. Just after John left, another "John Smith" appeared and shouted one incomprehensible line. This line was deeply linked to the origin of SOS-dan. :)

I won't spoil it for you, but what you've read in Book 2 about the movie leads onto what I'm talking about. IIRC, in Book 2 they finished filming pretty much the day before the cultural festival, Kyon and Haruhi both stay back to do the editing, but both fell asleep fairly early on. When they wake up, somehow magically the movie's edited itself. That incident is covered in the later books (Book 7 IIRC), and there's a massive story behind it.

Book 4 + Book 7 together would make eight to ten episodes easy, given Book 1 was a 5 episode arc. Toss in a few good stories from the other books that weren't put in, and you're done for another 13 episode season.

In any case, these are small side issues, the point I was getting at is, there is definitely more than enough source material to do a Season 2 if they wanted to. If the animation and artwork are anything like Season 1, it'll kick sixteen kinds of ass, and that is always a good thing. ;)

Okay, thanks for the clarification.

I still can't get enough of this series. Are the novels you guys were talking about in english or another language? Can't find anything on Amazon.

Fan translations online. A quick google search should get you to the right place (at work right now and don't have any links handy).

Thanks! It took a while to find the PDF version . My english still isn't good enough and I can't concentrate that well if I look on the monitor too long . So I prefer the printed version. I also can add some notes and opinions while reading. A bad habit I adopted from back when I was still reading detective stories.That was loooooong time ago :ph34r:.But to tell you the truth. Sticky notes on the monitor somehow obstruct my sight. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Limited Haruhi figure....only 5000 in the world. Yahoo Japan already has a preorder for it gone up to 30k yen.

http://maxfactory.cms.drecom.jp/newproducts0702_01.html

And some guy bought the Bubba resin kit pre-painted.

http://milkmandan.wordpress.com/2006/09/25...unny-resin-kit/

And this is a trailer which mimics the actual Haruhi anime promo....but I think this is an AV. XD

http://www.tma.co.jp/page_top/hahiru/index.html

Edited by wolfx

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There are rumours that Aya Hirano cannot reprise her role as Haruhi though, and she recently revealed on her blog that she's recuperating from some unsaid illness. I thought it was just overworked, considering all the sudden live events and new roles for her.

Since we're on Haruhi figures:

Apart from the Kotobukiya Haruhi, i'm also getting the Toranoana one. ;)

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Lets not forget this wonderful "Mikuru Beamer" pose by famous sculptor, Polygonia

IPB Image

And the Bandai Gashapon

IPB Image

Edited by wolfx

• 2 weeks later...