The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya Thread

JValk

Haruhi 12... out... must get it... BOMBER!

409582[/snapback]

Crap. I'm stuck at work for the next five hours.

I ended up reading the first novel last night. Awesome stuff. Started on the second one and came to the realization that I really don't like the character of Suzumiya herself. The others are fun, but Suzumiya is just a selfish, spoiled brat. Kyon must either have the patience of a saint or be a complete moron.

Speaking of Kyon, do we ever find out his real name?

I ended up reading the first novel last night.  Awesome stuff.  Started on the second one and came to the realization that I really don't like the character of Suzumiya herself.  The others are fun, but Suzumiya is just a selfish, spoiled brat.  Kyon must either have the patience of a saint or be a complete moron.

I like ASPECTS of Haruhi, but not the character as a whole.

I think Kyon's just given up.

He can't get away from her and he can't make her listen to anyone. So he just tries to keep her from inflicting too much suffering on everyone else.

Not that I know of.

From what I've heard, it's not established yet.

oh my gawd, ep 12 has a cameo shot of HARD GAY! WaaaHOOOOOOO!

409640[/snapback]

HOLY COW?! SERIOUS?! ARGH and my home internets isn't working yesterday!

DOMO!! HARDOGEI DESU!!! HOoOooOOOOOO!!!~

The others are fun, but Suzumiya is just a selfish, spoiled brat.  Kyon must either have the patience of a saint or be a complete moron.

I kinda like Haruhi. Bear in mind she was always the social outcast and has always seemed to be until recently all that "genki power" was unleashed when she met Kyon. Her "omnipotent powers" don't help in the brattyness since she keeps getting what she wants. It would be an interesting breakdown of the Haruhi character as the romance develops between Kyon and her.

Not that its important. Maybe Kyon was never a real person (hence no real name) in the end, but a "Opened Space" entity Haruhi created to soothe her loneliness and someone to actually get her to make the SOS Brigade. Haha....i'm sorry but i tend to think every anime now focuses on existentialism.

The others are fun, but Suzumiya is just a selfish, spoiled brat.  Kyon must either have the patience of a saint or be a complete moron.

I kinda like Haruhi. Bear in mind she was always the social outcast and has always seemed to be until recently all that "genki power" was unleashed when she met Kyon. Her "omnipotent powers" don't help in the brattyness since she keeps getting what she wants. It would be an interesting breakdown of the Haruhi character as the romance develops between Kyon and her.

It'd be a REALLY screwed-up relationship.

Actually, there's interesting personality parallels, which is probably why Haruhi gets along with Kyon in the first place(relative to her other classmates, she DOES get along quite well with Kyon).

They're just 2 diffrent responses to the exact same situation.

Both think the world would be a better place if more weird stuff happened.

Kyon determined it just couldn't happen, gave up on his dreams, and became a well-adjusted, if insufferably dull, member of society. (Was I the ONLY person that wanted to hurt someone over the speech about how only incredibly rare geniuses could change the world and everyone else should just sit back and enjoy the ride because they were too stupid to change anything?)

Haruhi determined it just couldn't happen, said screw it, and started trying to make it happen anyways.

Not that its important. Maybe Kyon was never a real person (hence no real name) in the end, but a "Opened Space" entity Haruhi created to soothe her loneliness and someone to actually get her to make the SOS Brigade. Haha....i'm sorry but i tend to think every anime now focuses on existentialism.

409655[/snapback]

If Kyon was never real and that's why he doesn't have a name, then why do Koizumi, Mikuru, and Yuki have names?

Koizumi and Yuki both believe that all 4 of them are in the SOS Brigade specifically because Haruhi willed it to be so.

Koizumi is certain his very existence, as well as that of Yuki and Mikuru, and quite possibly everyone in the entire world, is because Haruhi willed it.

And Mikuru is hopelessly inept anyways so who cares what she thinks.

Why would the one "normal" person on Earth that's worth spending time with and the only person, normal or otherwise, that deserves a place in the new world NOT rank a name? Arguably, Kyon should be the FIRST to get one, as he's the most important person to Haruhi(whether she admits it or not).

I haven't read the book and don't intend to until the anime finishes.

Edit: I have nothing to do in the office and ended up reading the 1s chapter due to boredom. >_<

Something happened 3 years ago that caused the current world to exist in some parallel universe. Could Kyon be the only "real" person from the previous world before Haruhi resetted it?

Why do others have a name when Kyon doesn't? Well very simply the others did exist and Haruhi just willed them to join the SOS through seemingly favourable circumstances. Kyon might've not existed in the 1st place. But this is just conjecture at best. I am bored. Haha.

Now question is what happened 3 years ago? Did haruhi draw a crop circle (mentioned by Kyon's friend when Haruhi was in junior high) and activated the "world reset" button or something? Did she wrestle power from the "Group Thought Entity bla aka Mr. Alien God" accidentally? How does Kyon fit in all this?

Something odd I just realised. When Kyon is THINKING something. As in he's not saying it, it seems that Haruhi can hear his thoughts and replies to them. I noticed this in the novel and the anime when he's thinking something and Haruhi responds to it.

Well he's lips are not moving and in the novel there are no " " around his dialogue to indicate outloud speech, so I assume those are his thoughts.

That's something interesting.

Something odd I just realised. When Kyon is THINKING something. As in he's not saying it, it seems that Haruhi can hear his thoughts and replies to them. I noticed this in the novel and the anime when he's thinking something and Haruhi responds to it.

Well he's lips are not moving and in the novel there are no " " around his dialogue to indicate outloud speech, so I assume those are his thoughts.

409806[/snapback]

I hadn't noticed Haruhi doing this until ep. 12. Koizumi has been doing it from the start. It is odd though.

As for what happened 3 years ago, it's said in the novel and I suspect we'll see that scene in episode 13. And it's never said that Kyon doesn't have a name, it's just that no one uses it and we, the audience/readers, aren't told what it is. I was just curious as to if it's ever even revealed.

409806[/snapback]

It happens to other people too.

It seems he's got a loose mouth and quite often says something out loud that he's INTENDING to just think.

Remember, the story's 1st-person. Any verbal slippage wouldn't be in quotes because Kyon doesn't realize he said it(not until someone replies, anyways).

Good on ya Seven ;)

Could Jvalk or any of the mods change the topic name into "The Suzumiya Haruhi Thread" or something more general for ease of search in the future?

Just got around to watching the latest episode...

Listen to my song, indeed. :)

Showcases the less self-centered aspect of Haruhi, too. Always good to see her doing something OTHER than making someone's life miserable in the quest for entertainment.

Too bad Yuki wasn't on drums. She'd make an excellent Veffidas.

Do all the Eps occur on Friday? Cause Suzumiya Haruhi always has a gold ribbon in her hair in all the eps. And if that's the case, should her hair be more elaborate?

vinnie

410314[/snapback]

She stops doing the hair thing right after Kyon brings it up to her.

Showcases the less self-centered aspect of Haruhi, too. Always good to see her doing something OTHER than making someone's life miserable in the quest for entertainment.

410030[/snapback]

Definitely. This episode really helped my tolerance level for the character.

Do all the Eps occur on Friday? Cause Suzumiya Haruhi always has a gold ribbon in her hair in all the eps. And if that's the case, should her hair be more elaborate?

vinnie

410314[/snapback]

She stops doing the hair thing right after Kyon brings it up to her.

410323[/snapback]

In fact, she cuts it off short so she CAN'T do the hair thing anymore.

She COULD color-code the hair ribbon, but apparently it's too much work once someone's noticed she does it.

Just seen it. ZOMG...i want those songs! The episode was at the bordering of filler, but it develops Haruhi's character more. Wheee!

Love it. BOMBAH!!!

410530[/snapback]

I don't think there's been any real filler. All the flash forward episodes contribute a lot to the style of the show. Had they just stuck with the first novel, I don't think it would have been nearly this good.

I'm guessing this is a recent series, still in production?

408086[/snapback]

Yes.

And it rules.

408089[/snapback]

Well then it's HELLA different from the manga! Which is on the boring side while feeling like a rip-off of NGE and just makes me wanna shot the b@tch(Asuka-clone). <_<

So... it's like FLCL then. :unsure:

Edited by chrono

408086[/snapback]

Yes.

And it rules.

408089[/snapback]

Well then it's HELLA different from the manga! Which is on the boring side while feeling like a rip-off of NGE and just makes me wanna shot the b@tch(Asuka-clone). <_<

410589[/snapback]

There's a manga too? And it's like NGE? Weird, neither the anime nor the novel(s) it's based on are anything like Eva. I'm curious to see the manga now, just to see how different it is from the novel.

408086[/snapback]

Yes.

And it rules.

408089[/snapback]

410589[/snapback]

There's a manga too? And it's like NGE? Weird, neither the anime nor the novel(s) it's based on are anything like Eva. I'm curious to see the manga now, just to see how different it is from the novel.

410657[/snapback]

There's actually TWO mangas.

The first one was cancelled a month in because the author didn't like how radically it was deviating. The second one is running alongside the TV series, but it's pretty meh.

408086[/snapback]

Yes.

And it rules.

408089[/snapback]

410589[/snapback]

410657[/snapback]

well, the only thing that is really similar to NGE are the episodes in NGE where they look at how messed up Shinji is inside his head... so actually, it's not really like NGE either... well, they do fight big monsters once in a while but they don't use big robot clones of their mothers or anything.

Here's the wiki on it.

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index.ph...Suzumiya_Haruhi

I got to like chapter 4 when I realized that it's not much different from NGE with the formula of a loud mouthed & arrogant long haired girl, somewhat weak willed 'average' guy, 'super/magical-girl' non-human with short hair and quiet personality, a slightly mysterious long haired T&A female character, and a plot about evolution/attacking alien poo.

But maybe it's me just not liking the continuing 'ball-less' male lead. Maybe I've been reading too many Korean and Chinese comics where the male leads have a shiney steel pair and aren't afraid of telling the annoying b@tch off, but not so over-bearing that they act like jack-a$$es towards everyone....

Here's the wiki on it.

I got to like chapter 4 when I realized that it's not much different from NGE with the formula of a loud mouthed & arrogant long haired girl, somewhat weak willed 'average' guy, 'super/magical-girl' non-human with short hair and quiet personality, a slightly mysterious long haired T&A female character, and a plot about evolution/attacking alien poo.

But maybe it's me just not liking the continuing 'ball-less' male lead. Maybe I've been reading too many Korean and Chinese comics where the male leads have a shiney steel pair and aren't afraid of telling the annoying b@tch off, but not so over-bearing that they act like jack-a$$es towards everyone....

410668[/snapback]

nah, it's pretty different. those are only surface similarities... the characters, their motivations are pretty different. Besides, quiet short haired mysterious type girl character is pretty much a standard feature in anime. :p

Here's the wiki on it.

410668[/snapback]

nah, it's pretty different. those are only surface similarities... the characters, their motivations are pretty different. Besides, quiet short haired mysterious type girl character is pretty much a standard feature in anime. :p

410677[/snapback]

They're all anime tropes and were before Eva. That's part of the fun with Suzumiya; it's specifically playing with with common SF/anime/manga themes. Both the novel and the anime are very self-aware.

I think Chrono is completely missing Kyon's personality. As I've said, I don't think I'd have his patience with dealing with Suzumiya, but calling him ball-less is totally off base. Really, he's the only one who makes any effort at all to counter Suzumiya's more whack ideas and tries to minimize the damage she can cause. Considering that she could very well be some sort of "god," I'd say that takes a lot of balls.

Well there wasn't much of a personality in the manga 1-4 other then the average guy who's bored with life and is simply going along for the ride. Thinking plenty of things, but usually never saying them when he should've. He's really not much more then a background level character in the manga(which I'm thinking is the first run that got canned). So I doubt that it's that I'm 'missed' it, but rather your seeing more of the character or a different character.

Either way it's just isn't that interesting from what I've seen, imo. :huh:

*shrugs*

Here's the wiki on it.

410668[/snapback]

A. There's no attacking aliens or evolution. Well, there's ONE attacking alien, but it only lasts half an episode. And while there's talk of the aliens WANTING to evolve, no one's actually DOING it.

B. Yuki > Rei.

But they're shooting inside.

Well, the "filler" comes from stories written after the first novel anyways.

They just don't get the big dramatic finale if they air things in order.

409421[/snapback]

Depending on the equipment used, flourescent lighting isn't that great, gives a pale cast over everything, so a flash would give a better flesh tone. Since they're using a flash, then having a reflector would even out the background too.

You guys are making me buy the books, grr... it'll sit well between my LOTGH and Gunam Sentinal novels, lol.

I like how the show consciously rips off a lot of sci-fi anime, really had a great laugh with the big blur and "Launch the Gun***!!!", lol.

But they're shooting inside.

Well, the "filler" comes from stories written after the first novel anyways.

They just don't get the big dramatic finale if they air things in order.

409421[/snapback]

Depending on the equipment used, flourescent lighting isn't that great, gives a pale cast over everything, so a flash would give a better flesh tone. Since they're using a flash, then having a reflector would even out the background too.

That makes sense. But will it really be effective with the sort of flash Haruhi's point/click digital camera has? She isn't using any external equipment that I see.