The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya Thread

JValk

BTW, does anyone know how it's going with a continuation of the Haruhi Suzumiya anime? After the relative success of Dissapearance I hope they can carry on. There's plenty of material too.

I don't think the anime is going to continue, and sadly, it's been left on a bit of a cliffhanger after the movie. But the cliffhanger is very minor, and ending the series with the movie is probably not a bad move.

The issue is that the solution to the final loose end from the movie happens in the middle of what starts the entire rest of the plot so far. You can't solve that without going for broke, and finishing the entire book series, which will take a couple more seasons.

Combined with the fact that there are issues with the voice talent returning, it might never happen.

If so that's good news. The rumor mill was churning that her music producers wanted her to drop voice acting and be "serious" about music, so people thought she might quit. Before that, it was a rumor that she had surgery on her throat and couldn't speak well anymore, so her career was over.

Rumors are funny that way. :p

• 2 years later...

"The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan" will be made, but details unknown.

Not made by KyoAni, this time SATELIGHT will make it.

http://www.haruhi.tv/yuki_chan/main.html

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-12-17/the-disappearance-of-nagato-yuki-chan-anime-cast-staff-unveiled/.82295

Edited by antibiotictab

To be fair, the series from Disappearance onward just piles on even more questions. Once you got past that point, while there are a few one-shot stories, the majority of content gets wrapped up in the anti-SOS Brigade plot, and things get quite a bit more serious in general.

I'd be happy to see the rest of the books animated, but I can understand why they would hesitate. The rest of the series isn't something you can just write an ending to, and be done with it.

If anything, the rest of the series expands the story universe by a couple orders of magnitude. If they actually drew it to a satisactory conclusion, I expect the plot would continue well into Kyon's adult life, and possibly across timelines until we see exactly what the entire conflict between alternate timelines is about. The last few books drove the plot deep into Doctor Who-ish territory, drawing on tiny details from previous books, and twisting characters in ways that it's difficult to wrap your head around. The future that Mikuru comes from sounds like they may be deep in the middle of a Time War.

The fact the the author seems to love making Doctor Who references, and the general tone of the last few books does't bode well for the story universe in general.

Edited by Chronocidal

To be fair, the series from Disappearance onward just piles on even more questions. Once you got past that point, while there are a few one-shot stories, the majority of content gets wrapped up in the anti-SOS Brigade plot, and things get quite a bit more serious in general.

I'd be happy to see the rest of the books animated, but I can understand why they would hesitate. The rest of the series isn't something you can just write an ending to, and be done with it.

If anything, the rest of the series expands the story universe by a couple orders of magnitude. If they actually drew it to a satisactory conclusion, I expect the plot would continue well into Kyon's adult life, and possibly across timelines until we see exactly what the entire conflict between alternate timelines is about. The last few books drove the plot deep into Doctor Who-ish territory, drawing on tiny details from previous books, and twisting characters in ways that it's difficult to wrap your head around. The future that Mikuru comes from sounds like they may be deep in the middle of a Time War.

The fact the the author seems to love making Doctor Who references, and the general tone of the last few books does't bode well for the story universe in general.

Last book still isn't out?

Oh, I think it is, but there really is no ending. At best, it's a teaser of things that haven't happened yet, and the story will clearly carry on well into Kyon's college years. Nothing is really resolved at all during the book, and it's all implied to be continued in the future (or in a different timeline maybe).

I guess all I mean is that using Disappearance as the official "ending" kind of works, because to tell the rest of the books would probably take two more seasons at least, and you still might not get a satisfying ending. The stories also become longer to the point that they may be better as feature length movies like Disappearance. I think the combined length of "Dissociation" and "Surprise" may be twice as long as "Disappearance", and those two books are one continuous story.

I admit I wouldn't mind seeing it myself, but finishing the books in animated format could take a long time to do, and I don't know how long the talent involved wants to keep going.

• 3 months later...

RESSURECTION!

Has any one else watched the first ep one The Disappeatance Of Yuki Nagato-Chan?

First impressions:

-Kyom doesn't sound right at all. I didn't even think it was the same acyor until the apology scene at Yuki's apartment. It's almost like he forgot how to channel Kyon until having to play stressed and manic. Very weird.

- Almost the same issue with the Yuki. Where's my monotone alien cyber-witch? Disappearance movie Yuki was still "Yuki" and Haruhi-Chan Yuki was still Yuki, but this nee incarnatiom is just too damnef emotive. She's supposed to be burned out anc pissed off from 10,000 years of Endless Eight, so wtf is up with "I just wanted to try turkey."

If this series is supposed to be canon with the movie, it's leaving a bad taste in my mouth. If it's supposed to replace the movie, then I don't want it.

Oh, and the character designs are garbage.

Edited by Keith

I dropped watching the new season after a few minutes. It is supposed to be set on alternative universe but I cant bear to watch that much change Nagato :blink:

The main series novels are done. We should have a real Haruhi series damnit!

Edited by Keith

The main series novels are fone. We should have a real Haruhi series damnit!

I agree that the main series are fine.

I actually remember the Disappearance arc, Nagato really did became shy and was attracted to Kon but the new show was like a totally new show to me.

- Almost the same issue with the Yuki. Where's my monotone alien cyber-witch? Disappearance movie Yuki was still "Yuki" and Haruhi-Chan Yuki was still Yuki, but this nee incarnatiom is just too damnef emotive. She's supposed to be burned out anc pissed off from 10,000 years of Endless Eight, so wtf is up with "I just wanted to try turkey."

Sounds like it's faithful to the comics it's based on. Which is part of why I dropped the comics fairly fast, and didn't peek in on this cartoon.

Also, this Yuki has no knowledge whatsoever of E8.

After the time-space vandalism that started Disapearance, she's just a normal human living a normal life doing normal things. Same is true of almost everyone else.

Only Kyon retained any link to "the real world" in the original story.

If this series is supposed to be canon with the movie, it's leaving a bad taste in my mouth. If it's supposed to replace the movie, then I don't want it.

Far as I know, the series is a completely non-canon "what if Haruhi didn't win" scenario.

I actually remember the Disappearance arc, Nagato really did became shy and was attracted to Kon but the new show was like a totally new show to me.

She likes Kyon in the main continuity too. She just doesn't show it well, because she's still Yuki.

I believe the only times it's blatantly obvious are when she ditches the glasses(Kyon, stop ruining characters with your anti-eyewear prejudices! ), and, well, that time she re-worked the entire world to leave the two of them alone in the clubroom together without Haruhi, Mikuru, and Koizumi interfering.

Was the manga actually popular? I know it has another writer, and as such, reeks of terrible fanfiction.

It's only been one episode, and due to morbid curiosity I'll continue, but I wish Asakura would go on a murderous rampage and put this show out of its misery.

It really is very mediocre. I wonder how much is due to the source material and how much is Satelight's adaption (Maybe having all their best people working on the new Macross is having an effect on their other productions, LOL).

Was the manga actually popular? I know it has another writer, and as such, reeks of terrible fanfiction.

Apparently, it was. But yeah, sums my take on things up nicely.

Another author is fine, if they do it right. But... this was not done right.