The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya Thread

JValk

Check out the latest sub of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Episode 11. At the very end of the preview for Episode 12, Haruhi sneaks in a totally random "Listen to my song!" And Kyon, taken aback, goes "wha? BOMBER!"

B))

Mod edit:

Yonk! Changing the title to fit the thread.

Edited by azrael

Aws, I was gonna post a topic like this but didn't think it'd be right. XP

I was totally floored. I had watched the episode itself like... five times... (I'm a geek, space battles rock) before realizing that I never watched the preview for the next episode. So I skip to the end and watch... and watch... and then I hear (watchin' the raw) Haruhi go, "Watashi no Uta wo KIKE!" followed by Kyon's "BOMBAAA!"

Just... wow. I love you, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu. Thank you for existing.

Side Note: I'm glad that there is an HD Raw for it... 'cause when I watched the "normal" raw when the episode first came out, I honestly couldn't tell what the blurred sequence was. Kinda obvious now. XP

Kyon saying, "IKIMASU!" didn't give it away? XD;;

Yeah, Yuki with glasses was cooler. On the other hand, glasses or not, she still pwns hard. These last two episodes have brought me around to the Nagato side. Simply amazing.

407977[/snapback]

Yes. Yuki owns all.

Unless Haruhi gets mad at the world again.

The M7 reference totally came out of left field. 

What does Kyon's sister have to do with anything? :huh:

408073[/snapback]

Took me a second to get that.

It sucks that there's only three episodes left to go. That is unless they really do go for 15,498...

The M7 reference totally came out of left field. 

What does Kyon's sister have to do with anything? :huh:

408073[/snapback]

Took me a second to get that.

:)

It sucks that there's only three episodes left to go.  That is unless they really do go for 15,498...

408090[/snapback]

Yeah...

At least there's people putting an effort into translating the print stories too. So there's a bit of extra stuff to look forward to.

I'm pretty sure it's Kyoto Animation's "Kanon" project that's keeping Haruhi at 14... but considering the wild popularity of the series across both shores, perhaps they'll reconsider adding onto Haruhi once the Kanon project completes.

We can only hope... >.<

Probably wanna change this thread into a general Haruhi Thread? I wanted to start one but didn't think there were alot of ppl watching it so i just kept posting in the Latest Current Anime thread.

About episodes, Haruhi has like tonnes o volumes. Melancholy is just one of like....10 vols? I'm sure they'll make more since Japan seems to be invaded by Haruhi-ism. ;)

I liked the subtle scene during the island mansion episode 2, where they were wet and taking shelter in the cave. Haruhi was reluctant to remove her bra as compared to the 1st time Kyon met her, where she regarded guys as no less than potatoes, and was totally unshy about undressing in front of them. But here was a 2 sec scene that shows she has changed...at least in respect to Kyon.

Ever since I started watching this show a few weeks ago, I've been hooked, It's my favourite anime since BLAME!. I'm only up to episode 4 or so now, but hopefully my life will calm down enough soon to let me catch up.

It's a nice show. But the one thing that really annoyed me was how the episodes are being shown out of order.

Why? I don't know. But I do know it makes it a pain to watch with the gaps.

408839[/snapback]

It's because Haruhi is director. :p

Seriously, it's because they want to close the series out with the ending of the Melancholy story arc. It gives them a story arc to sustain through the entire season and a big dramatic finish without signifigantly altering the original source material.

On the down side, some episodes just don't make sense as-is.

I think the baseball episode should've aired after episode 4, so all the major characters at least had their backgrounds established.

Beyond that, it works. You generally have enough knowledge to know what's going on, though you'll be left scratching your head at a few references.

Now it makes sense.

I tried watching it in the "correct order" and it was like watching Star Wars from Ep 1 to 6.

So there's a reason why it's jumbled up. Something are not meamt to be found out till later.

408878[/snapback]

Bah.

Go read the translation of the first book, and then watch everything with full comprehension. It makes things more enjoyable, at least to me.

I have to give the animators credit though... they pulled the Yuki fight off pretty well, and it's hard to vizualise, much less draw.

I'm not complaining about the out of sync episodes.

Only complaint about the show i had so far was probably the episode where it felt almost filler-ish. It was winter and Kyon had to go get the heater. Yuki was left in the room with voices of the drama club or something practicing as background noise. That scene was PRETTY long. >_< Evangelion elevator scene anyone? Only thing that happened that episode was the Asahina sub-arc.

It's a nice show. But the one thing that really annoyed me was how the episodes are being shown out of order.

Why? I don't know. But I do know it makes it a pain to watch with the gaps.

408839[/snapback]

It's because Haruhi is director. :p

Seriously, it's because they want to close the series out with the ending of the Melancholy story arc. It gives them a story arc to sustain through the entire season and a big dramatic finish without signifigantly altering the original source material.

On the down side, some episodes just don't make sense as-is.

I think the baseball episode should've aired after episode 4, so all the major characters at least had their backgrounds established.

Beyond that, it works. You generally have enough knowledge to know what's going on, though you'll be left scratching your head at a few references.

Now it makes sense.

I tried watching it in the "correct order" and it was like watching Star Wars from Ep 1 to 6.

So there's a reason why it's jumbled up. Something are not meamt to be found out till later.

408878[/snapback]

Bah.

Go read the translation of the first book, and then watch everything with full comprehension. It makes things more enjoyable, at least to me.

I have to give the animators credit though... they pulled the Yuki fight off pretty well, and it's hard to vizualise, much less draw.

409072[/snapback]

Thanks for the link. :D

Only complaint about the show i had so far was probably the episode where it felt almost filler-ish. It was winter and Kyon had to go get the heater. Yuki was left in the room with voices of the drama club or something practicing as background noise. That scene was PRETTY long. >_< Evangelion elevator scene anyone? Only thing that happened that episode was the Asahina sub-arc.

409110[/snapback]

GAH!

Yah, that was pretty blatant filler.

Some fun stuff(and me criticizing AFK for flagging the reflector a mirror*), but they spent almost half the episode just showing Yuki reading.

I mean, I like Yuki as much as/far more than the next guy, but... that was a complete waste of time. Not even a good screenshot in the scene.

*Can anyone figure out why Haruhi is using a reflector in that photo sequence anyways? They won points for including it and using it appropriately in the movie(Koizumi is seen using it to get sun onto Mikuru's face in the scene he's not supposed to be in), but I can't figure out why it's there in Rain. I suppose Haruhi might just be thinking "Pros use reflectors, so we need one too!" but they still used it RIGHT in the movie.

Edited by JB0

409110[/snapback]

GAH!

Some fun stuff(and me criticizing AFK for flagging the reflector a mirror*), but they spent almost half the episode just showing Yuki reading.

I mean, I like Yuki as much as/far more than the next guy, but... that was a complete waste of time. Not even a good screenshot in the scene.

*Can anyone figure out why Haruhi is using a reflector in that photo sequence anyways? They won points for including it and using it appropriately in the movie(Koizumi is seen using it to get sun onto Mikuru's face in the scene he's not supposed to be in), but I can't figure out why it's there in Rain. I suppose Haruhi might just be thinking "Pros use reflectors, so we need one too!" but they still used it RIGHT in the movie.

409248[/snapback]

Maybe because it was overcast outside and they needed extra light? Sorry, not a photographer, so that's just my guess.

409110[/snapback]

After having read the first novel now, I think the filler was necessary. Otherwise, the series would only have been about six episodes long.

GAH!

409248[/snapback]

Maybe because it was overcast outside and they needed extra light? Sorry, not a photographer, so that's just my guess.

409283[/snapback]

But they're shooting inside.

409110[/snapback]

After having read the first novel now, I think the filler was necessary. Otherwise, the series would only have been about six episodes long.

409409[/snapback]

Well, the "filler" comes from stories written after the first novel anyways.

They just don't get the big dramatic finale if they air things in order.