The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya Thread

JValk

They translated "time machine" into "delorean"....and mikuru said "time machine" in english even. =.=

See, its that kinda stuff that I hate. That and adding hard curse words where they weren't before.

See, its that kinda stuff that I hate. That and adding hard curse words where they weren't before.

I thought those little touches were nice and somewhat befitting for each character as long as they weren't overdone.

Though I don't know what to think when they translate actual english words into pop culture equivalents...

(also Kyon's line was translated to Delorean, not Mikuru's. :p)

Edited by shiroikaze

I thought those little touches were nice and somewhat befitting for each character as long as they weren't overdone.

Though I don't know what to think when they translate actual english words into pop culture equivalents...

Nope, throwing extra content, regardless of similairty, is a huge sign of bad translation. It's the one thing that marred the AnimEigo Macross release.

Nope, throwing extra content, regardless of similairty, is a huge sign of bad translation. It's the one thing that marred the AnimEigo Macross release.

Is it really bad all the time? I've seen A.F.K's subs of the first season of Haruhi. I thought his translations were interesting.

Didn't know of such watches and i have not been up to date with watches since i've been using my trusty old G-shock for 15 years. :lol:

Is it really bad all the time? I've seen A.F.K's subs of the first season of Haruhi. I thought his translations were interesting.

AFK....is a whole can of worms that we've been through before. Literal translation vs Contextual translation. AFK has their translations very localised to american english which does not 100% translate to what the characters are actually speaking, which are what most R1 anime publishing companies are doing anyway. The context is not lost though. Most fansubs got for literal translation. There was a whole big debate on which is better but meh...i guess its just based on your preference. I for one was pretty annoyed with Valkyria Chronicles game's translation and the liberties they took with it.

AFK....is a whole can of worms that we've been through before. Literal translation vs Contextual translation. AFK has their translations very localised to american english which does not 100% translate to what the characters are actually speaking, which are what most R1 anime publishing companies are doing anyway. The context is not lost though. Most fansubs got for literal translation. There was a whole big debate on which is better but meh...i guess its just based on your preference. I for one was pretty annoyed with Valkyria Chronicles game's translation and the liberties they took with it.

Ahh yes, I was actually annoyed by their translations too. It really felt kinda jarring to see one thing and hear another.

I guess to me, it depends on the anime, its setting and characters.

You are right though, it is mostly about preference. But I do prefer literal translations to contextual, but I don't mind the latter if it's done right and tastefully. I thought AFK did a pretty good job with first season of Haruhi, I couldn't really get used to his first episode of Kanon though.

Also I like to point out that AFK is actually comprised of one guy who did all the translating, editing, and typesetting for all of AFK releases. :p

Edited by shiroikaze

OMG just watched sub, freakin' awesome. Why do we get garbage like lost, when a significantly smarter show can be produced & told in a greatly shorter runtime, and animated no less. Will we foolish American's ever learn? :)

This is going to be a long 4 weeks.

DB L-E has a nice HD version out and I quite like their translation sofar. Not sure if I'll switch to afk.

I don't think "nice" can be applied to an HD file that's smaller than most SD files.

It's certainly high-resolution, but it's not high-definition. Not in the literal sense anyways.

My only knowledge of this series is limited to the Revoltech Mikuru Asahina figure - which I love.

I take it I should check this series out? How many episodes in total? Any general recomendations and non-spolerish yet tantalizing things you can say to encourage me? :)

Pete

My only knowledge of this series is limited to the Revoltech Mikuru Asahina figure - which I love.

I take it I should check this series out? How many episodes in total? Any general recomendations and non-spolerish yet tantalizing things you can say to encourage me? :)

Pete

Where have u been this past 3 years? :wacko:

Watch it.

Just do it.

Srsly.

Rly.

Pete

Yes, you should. It has 14 episodes in season 1 and the first episode of season 2 has been made.

hmm, it has a great bunch of characters, clever story telling and tons of plays on anime tropes. A hilariously sarcastic male lead (Tomokazu Sugita, he voiced Leon in Frontier). Haruhi can run circles around Basara when it comes to being a lovable jerk. Just check it out, I'm sure you'll like it.

For first time watching I'd recommend the non linear viewing, the broadcast (aka) Kyon order.

Also it is probably the most hyped anime (with accompanying obsessed fanbase) since NGE and it still manages not to disapoint. Heck it even started it's own religion...

Thanks guys. 14 episodes sounds very nicely manageable :) I'll check it out for sure :)

Where have u been this past 3 years?

Re-watcing old anime :)

I have never been one to keep up. The only anime I ever watched as it was made was Macross Frontier. I'll admit that was fun and exciting and wonderful - but generally I tend to watch things years after they've been released :) And the gate way drug is always the toy, figure or model :)

Pete

And now we come to the burning question of "Do we tell him to watch broadcast order or chronological order?"

Personally, I don't care what order. As long as you get the original broadcast previews.

BOMBA!

Well since Haruhi 2 is being slotted in to the original series, i'd really recommend him to wait till Haruhi 2 to complete before watching everything in one go in chronological order. :3

Oh dear...

On the list of "Worst idea's ever proposed on Macross World", I wonder where introducing Pete to Haruhiism is going to end up... :D

Well since Haruhi 2 is being slotted in to the original series...

Is that confirmed?

Seriously, if they make me wait for the entire rest of the series to finish running before they move into Disappearance... I'm gonna have to buy a ticket to Japan so I can hurt someone.

I suppose they could be doing Sighs instead. It's the second book, and would kick in after 3 more reruns instead of after the whole darn series.

And the making of the movie was actually the story I most wanted to see done in season 2... until I read Disappearance.

But the ending SCREAMS Disappearance. And it's the one I most want to see done NOW, as well as the one they were implying they were going to do after the first season*.

So...

Maybe they're doing BOTH?

*(they actually "redesigned" their website to a 404 error, then replaced the 404 with a scene from Disappearance... and then nothing happened, apparently because the franchise got hung up in lawsuits)

*(they actually "redesigned" their website to a 404 error, then replaced the 404 with a scene from Disappearance... and then nothing happened, apparently because the franchise got hung up in lawsuits)

Care to shed some light on this? I'm actually curious about it.

But the ending SCREAMS Disappearance. And it's the one I most want to see done NOW, as well as the one they were implying they were going to do after the first season*.

So...

Maybe they're doing BOTH?

Nothing concrete about Disappearance yet but ppl are guessing that Disappearance will be a 4 episode arc towards the end of season 1 + 2. Right now the new episodes are being slotted in between season 1

Care to shed some light on this? I'm actually curious about it.

The lawsuit part?

Way I heard things, the reason book 10 hasn't come out yet(despite book 9 ending on a cliffhanger), and season 2 was on hold for so long, is the author got into some sort of legal battle with Kadokawa Shoten.

Of course, it's possible it was a baseless rumor and I got suckered into believing it... in which case I feel really stupid?

Afaik there is no information at all why Nagaru Tanigawa is not producing any new novels. Rumours include rights issues, writers block, illnes etc. He has not released any other projects since Haruhi volume 9. But if you have any sources on a rights issues, do share, would be great to get some answers if there are any.

The second season as predicted by the people from Suki Season 1 and 2

Edited by Bri

Actually can't find any. Thought I'd seen one, but it was probably just a blog comment somewhere that my brain inflated because it was the only word there was.

http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/sp/200603-04/info070514.html is all I can find that ISN'T a random blog comment somewhere. I can't read it, and a horrible babelfishing of ja.wikipedia says it has no really notable content.

And MORE EPISODES! NOW! GIMMEGIMMEGIMME!

Well - I went ahead and watched the first episode, with subs, on youtube.

Impressions: :blink:

Certainly not what I expected. Then again - I really didn't know what to expect. It was very poetic. I liked it. It was a tad enchanted. Naturally, I don't understand a thing. However, I like how they talk about time travel, and how it is portrayed. I thought that was very touching. Sorry - too early to really come up with any thing more concrete to say; far too much that I don't understand.

For a "first episode" it certainly felt very en media rex - except that there was no action to be thrown into. It was "just another day" - but I guess I will give it one thing; the title has "melancholy" in it. The show is DEFINITELY melancholy.

I will watch more with interest. I wonder what this is all about.

Edit: OOOPS.

That was episode 1 of season 2.... dag nabit!!! Why can't I just walk into my local freakin' movie store and BUY ANIME ON DVD?!?! AAARRRGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will just have to download the series.

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

Well - I caught some terribley formatted parts of the Adventures of Mikura Asahina on youtube as well - later - and I really really liked it. I kind of understand what this is about now - and the episode was a bit lighter in tone and not so terribly esoteric.

That or maybe I really like Mikura Asahina in that pink outfit :)

Will certainly be downloading this in full.

Now - as to the Revoltech figures - other than Mikura Asahina and bunny Haruhi ... we have gotten no other frauleins, yes?

Pete

Now - as to the Revoltech figures - other than Mikura Asahina and bunny Haruhi ... we have gotten no other frauleins, yes?

If you want to get good poseable figures of the Haruhi cast, get the Figmas. They look better although they use ball-joints instead of rachet-joints like that Revoltechs use. Heck you can re-enact the Hare Hare Yukai Dance if you get all of the figmas! :)

http://hlj.com/hljlist2/?Word=figma&Di...acroType=ActFig

Now if only Good Smile / Max Factory can re-release some of the first figures :(

Konataaaaaaaa! Evil Witch Nagatooooooooo! D:

Edited by shiroikaze

Well - I caught some terribley formatted parts of the Adventures of Mikura Asahina on youtube as well - later - and I really really liked it.

It's probably not as badly-formatted as you think.

The show as a whole is 16:9. Most, but not all, of episode 1 was 4:3.

So it's pillarboxed by design.

In a 4:3 display, it's both letterboxed AND pillarboxed!

This caused almost as much confusion when I first watched the show(fullscreened on a CRT monitor) as the episode itself did.

Though at least the black frame made sense by the time the episode was over. It was another two episodes before I understood the rest of the premiere.

If you mean it was riddled with compression artifacts... okay, now we can blame YouTube.

If you mean it was horribly edited... blame the ultra director. But it's noy my fault if The Suzumiya takes issue with your critiques.

Well - I caught some terribley formatted parts of the Adventures of Mikura Asahina on youtube as well - later - and I really really liked it. I kind of understand what this is about now - and the episode was a bit lighter in tone and not so terribly esoteric.

Pete

Shame you got a slight spoiler with Bamboo leaf, but the in-movie-movie thing in episode 00 should still be hilarious altough Mikuru's true nature is now no longer a surprise. The next two episodes set up the rest of the story nicely.

Thanks guys. I'm gonna stick with the Revoltechs for now and hope that they make more of the cast. I always prefer the sculpts on Revoltech - it's not just the revolver joints, but the sculpt and detailing is much better.

Plus I'll probably regret the ball joints when they start to wear out. I'm constantly playing with my toys, so I appreciate the revolver joints for not dying.

As to the anime - hopefully tonight I'll be able to download the first episode and watch it properly.

At this rate, I'm going to have to purchase some kind of memory storage drive just to keep my anime on it. I recently thought I was "saved" when I noticed DVDs of NGE, Macross Frontier and Gurren Lagann for sale in Poland - until it turned out that they were bootlegs... not just bootlegs but horendously bad bootlegs that are basically unwatchable.

I don't understand bootlegs sometimes - where does the demand for low quality un-usable crap come from?

Anyways - I really like the theme of this anime.

And the girls.

Oh - and it's nice to see that Alto's brother got an acting job in this anime.

Pete

But the sculpt and detailing is much better.

Actually, I think the Figmas have that advantage over the Revoltech Frauleins... particular those of the same characters. But I have to admit though, Fraulein Ayanami and Yoko looks great.

Edited by shiroikaze

Yeah - I agree - after researching a bit, I'll grant that the Figmas win. But mainly because there is a greater variety of the cast. Thus - I'm going with figma after all. Wanna get em all :)

Right now I'm only moments away from downloading episode 00!! :) My usual source failed on me, but luckily I found some server in Lithuania. Originally I was like "Hm... I shouldn't...it could be a virus...it's from Eastern Europe after all" - but then I was like "what the hell!? I'M from Eastern Europe!!" :)

And it seems to be the real deal so... my debute is nigh upon me! Ooooo yeah :)

Pete

I don't use torrents. I'm already downloading episode 3 :) Using Flashget and some Lithuanian thingy :)...

Anyways - I'm watching episode 1 - half way through - but here are my impressions:

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is fantastic! I love the camera work! I love the music, the faux "anime battles" and I love the cameo by Haruhi and all of the "errors" and "non-scripted" things - like when the witch is walking away after delivering her ominous thread and we see a guy get into his car in the background, and then as she turns to walk away we hear the banal, every day sound of a car starting and joining up with traffic. BRILLIANT :)

I love the little details - like when she keeps adjusting her cat who keeps falling off.

But of course Asahina is stealing the show :) "psst! This is where you faint!" :)

She's truly great :)

What a wonderful poetic beautiful anime :)

I can't wait for my figma figures. Weeeeeee!! :)

Pete