The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya Thread

JValk

Bah, spoilers in here. Reading this thread now with squinted eyes not to be caught off guard. If you don't mind please use spoiler tags while discussing content from the novels ;)

Bah, spoilers in here. Reading this thread now with squinted eyes not to be caught off guard. If you don't mind please use spoiler tags while discussing content from the novels ;)

Don't worry, the day after tomorrow, you won't remember a thing!

It's a bit difficult to find a decent sub atm. Mazui and Gleam are fast but both lacking in video quality and translation. Think I'll just wait till the a.f.k. ones, for the next episodes (if I can muster the patience). Other groups seemed to have given up on the project. Yuki is good video wise, but is lacking a translator, so will be slow for the time being.

Thanks for the info. It's the reason I've fallen behind on this, despite loving this series. I figure I'll do the same. Still rather shocked at catching it during Fanime's masquerade. That release was terrible.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Yuki is up to date. a.f.k's video quality is poor.

Most of the releases I've seen the video quality is poor. Some downright awful, with matching subs (like the slang in Sushi). Also not everything broadcast in HD is HD (hence why GG release Zetsubou Sensei and half of Frontier in 480). ^_^

Though translation is more important to me than video anyway. I haven't seen Yuki or a.f.k. yet, though I did follow them for the first series, and they usually do good work. I'm surprised they're still around to be honest. Haven't heard from them since Lucky Star.

EDIT, reading up comments from Live-Evil on anidb, Haruhi is indeed an upscale. So all the 720 versions are just bloated overencodes. That said, looking at four of them on episode three, AFK is a brighter, almost a touch washed out and harsh, but not as bloomed as some others or as yellow tinted. I think it's to combat the muddiness. It also appears to have a little bit more vertical information. It doesn't look great, but then, none of them do. It's sad that a high profile show from a high end studio is being shown looking this bad. SHAFTs stuff is fairly low budget, but Zetsubou Sensei looks great comparatively (Natsu no Arashi did look like Haruhi though). Basically, it's just a bunch of crappy raws. As for Yuki, they look pretty much like the others, filtered and upscaled. Though i think I figured out why they just caught up. I don't expect them to ever release before afk judging by their subs for 3. They're exactly the same. So it looks like one has a choice between filtered and upscaled with afk subs (Yuki), or the non upscaled, brightened release with afk subs (afk). If they both look like garbage, might as well go with the smaller file.

Yea, Yuki is using mostly AFK subs with a touch of Mazui here and there as they don't have their own translator. The subs are slightly changed at some points to remove AFKs more localised translations.

I am assuming we wont see any high quality versions till the dvds show up. For me the subs only have to last till I get my hands on the limited editions. But the difference between the quality of both translations and video rendering of the various sub groups is rather large so I'm sticking with AFK and Yuki.

"Almost" is being kind. And if Yuki is using afk subs, even better.

No kinder than calling everyone else's muddy, oversaturated and filtered to death. They all have a rather artificial look. If afk is harsh, Yuki and the others look like I'm watching through a lens filter. I'm also hoping Yuki has permission to use those subs, as otherwise that pretty much makes them bottom feeders. You don't fansub without a translator. Especially when the video quality is about par with, say, gleam, just a little less yellow. They're one of the better ones to be sure, particularly when you put translation into the equation. However the quality doesn't really justify 350megs an episode, and I am usually not one to question filesize. So they're "low quality" release might be the better option. Good luck grabbing that one though as most people stupidly think they're actually getting 720p here judging by the seeding ratios. Maybe there's a bigger gap in other episodes, but only afk really stood out as looking different. Gleam was smoothed and yellow. Perfect Blue was smoothed than sharpened to the hilt, giving it an also liquid appearence, Sushi was about the same, but with color correction and slang translation. Most just used the same pointless upscale, smoothed out the image, maybe bumped the color, added some sharpening and left it at that. Though I didn't check Mazui. Though I'll never understand why fansubbers will take disparaging names like that. Why give people the impression that you're awful? ^_^

So they all look terrible, and even the non-afk releases still have blooming and washed out looks, they're just more saturated to compensate, sort of making the problem worse (the pool shots come to mind). So it just depends on if you like muddy, saturated smooth upscaled terrible that smothers the problem with what some might feel are more of its own at often twice the size or bright, washed out, hardsubbed terrible that doesn't try to hide the simple truth and doesn't bother with a pointless upscale, it's a crap RAW. Mr Togo obviously prefers the former, and that's the majority of the releases. I can see how it might seem better, especially without comparison Perfect Blue was the first I saw at home were I really noticed the filtering and started this whole quality issue. They're not too bad if that sort of thing doesn't bother you. Gleam sufferes a bit from a slight yellow cast that's uncompensated for [it's present in Yuki too, but not as bad] and some compression issues. I, while not really fond of either, am somewhat more inclined to the latter, as at least the size is justifiable, and it actually has colors that sort of look correct. It's pretty decent when you consider the codec and size. Though I might look more into it, as I'm hearing reports of audio problems in AFK (though Yuki's discussion is sadly mostly people bitching about the rating system). It really is divided between "afk" and "not-afk", and I'm not entirely sure which "not-afk" is the superior in straight terms of video. So I really would know which afk alternative to go with, though probably Yuki given their "barrowed" translator. I'm sort of curious about what the raw leans towards. Did afk brighten, or did everyone else saturate?

So pick your poison. But make no mistake and don't kid yourself. No matter how much butt kissing in their respective threads, there's really no "best" out there in video. Not Yuki, not afk.

Afaik Yuki was the only group to sub the reruns and they had aranged with AFK to use their subs for the reruns as they contained scenes which had not been broadcasted before(DVD version). It all got a bit weird when Kadokawa/Kyoani deciced to mix in the new episodes.

As for the quality difference, it's all a matter of speed. According to subbing comments, the best raws come from the Tokyo channels which broadcast them later in the week. The groups which wait longest generally has acces to the better quality raws. Especialy on episode 8 and the second endless eight is the difference between groups noticable. As always a lot of it is user preference.

Is the story gonna continue soon or am i forced to watch another endless 8 episode? zzzzz.

No one knows. They've veered away from print at this point, and KyoAni isn't talking, far as I know.

3 episodes of Endless Eight was awesome... 4 was WTF.

But five? Kyoto Animation, I applaud you. This is clearly the most epic attempt at trolling a fanbase in recorded history.

Especially once the DVDs hit. If 5 doesn't close it out, then there will almost certainly be an entire DVD of Endless Eight that does NOTHING.

Think about it. If we assume 4 episodes per disk, and that the DVDs are season 1+2, like the current broadcast... Endless Eight 1 closes out disk 3. 2-5 fill disk 4. And if 5 doesn't close it out... I would pay money to see the reaction to people coming in blind when they hit Endless Eight 3... then 4... then realize they have to buy ANOTHER disk for Endless Eight 5(which we HOPE will be the end)

Dammit, how are they gonna have time to do Disappearance any justice at this point?

No one knows. They've veered away from print at this point, and KyoAni isn't talking, far as I know.

3 episodes of Endless Eight was awesome... 4 was WTF.

But five? Kyoto Animation, I applaud you. This is clearly the most epic attempt at trolling a fanbase in recorded history.

Especially once the DVDs hit. If 5 doesn't close it out, then there will almost certainly be an entire DVD of Endless Eight that does NOTHING.

Think about it. If we assume 4 episodes per disk, and that the DVDs are season 1+2, like the current broadcast... Endless Eight 1 closes out disk 3. 2-5 fill disk 4. And if 5 doesn't close it out... I would pay money to see the reaction to people coming in blind when they hit Endless Eight 3... then 4... then realize they have to buy ANOTHER disk for Endless Eight 5(which we HOPE will be the end)

Dammit, how are they gonna have time to do Disappearance any justice at this point?

WTF....5? NO WAY.

:ph34r:

I mean expected more variation in each episode of Endless 8 but the variation is only very minor......and its quite snore worthy really. So if the next ep i watch is going to be endless 8 again, i'm gonna skip to the end and find out if the loop was broken.

WTF....5? NO WAY.

:ph34r:

I mean expected more variation in each episode of Endless 8 but the variation is only very minor......and its quite snore worthy really. So if the next ep i watch is going to be endless 8 again, i'm gonna skip to the end and find out if the loop was broken.

Skip to what end? IT NEVER ENDS!

Unless they go back later, and make a big nonsensical movie to explain everything.

So, I'm guessing for "End of Haruhi" we find out that Kyon really is the key to everything, and he has the power to reshape the world through his own desires. So, he has this crazy dream sequence full of classical music and crazy doodles, and voiced over by Morgan Freeman explaining how he had the power to change things all along.

Then he wakes up on a beach next to Haruhi and the whole world has been swallowed by closed space and destroyed by Ang.. I mean those big glowy giant things, and now it's his job to reform the world from scratch with her...

Why does this seem familiar?

Btw, I decided to try one of the dubbed season 1 episodes the other day, just to see how it sounded.. I can't say it was all that terrible, but I hit upon the main reason I don't watch dubs very often.. every time I do, I wind up hearing the same voices, and it just drives me nuts. They're definitely good voices at times, but they're so recognizable it kinda ruins it.

If I close my eyes, it sounds like Alucard arguing with Vash the Stampede about whether or not they should let Blackrose continue her harassment of Silmeria. :blink:

Edited by Chronocidal

Then he wakes up on a beach next to Haruhi and the whole world has been swallowed by closed space and destroyed by Ang.. I mean those big glowy giant things, and now it's his job to reform the world from scratch with her...

Why does this seem familiar?

Because you realise that Haruhi is an inverted Evangelion? A mecha show that disguises itself as a high school comedy. Haruhi is just so hotblooded and strong willed she doesn't even need a Super Robot :lol:

Unless they go back later, and make a big nonsensical movie to explain everything.

So, I'm guessing for "End of Haruhi" we find out that Kyon really is the key to everything, and he has the power to reshape the world through his own desires. So, he has this crazy dream sequence full of classical music and crazy doodles, and voiced over by Morgan Freeman explaining how he had the power to change things all along.

I always had the theory that Kyon was the true "God" and this Suzumiya Haruhi person was what his desires materialised for him. He never was one who wanted the limelight anyway so its only fitting that to save himself from the routine boredom, he made someone God and he was pulled into the whole thing but he wasn't the main freakshow.

Meanwhile, I'm still living in season 1. I'll be happy to forray into season 2 as soon as I get done rewatching Neon Genesis Evangelion for the six millionth time...

BUT

YAY! My Haruhi Suzuymiya Figma figures have (Almost) arrived! They are being taxed by the customs office as we speak! Hopefully, I will have them in hand next week.

I snagged up Asahina and Haruhi as cheerleaders/baseball players as well as summer school Haruhi (with the Kyon-love kiss hair!).

I can't wait to play with them :)

I just need to find Kyon though... buying It...i...that one other guy alone somehow doesn't feel right... Hopefully Kyon will be plentiful again soon.

Pete

YAY! My Haruhi Suzuymiya Figma figures have (Almost) arrived! They are being taxed by the customs office as we speak! Hopefully, I will have them in hand next week.

I snagged up Asahina and Haruhi as cheerleaders/baseball players as well as summer school Haruhi (with the Kyon-love kiss hair!).

I can't wait to play with them :)

I just need to find Kyon though... buying It...i...that one other guy alone somehow doesn't feel right... Hopefully Kyon will be plentiful again soon.

Pete

Speaking of KYON, 2 separate orders came in for me a couple days ago . . . . .

Figma_013.jpg

Figma_012.jpg

Adding to the collective . . . . .

Figma_009.jpg

Figma_011.jpg

Figma_010.jpg

HEH HEH HEH!

Figma_014.jpg

Well, looks like someone got one-upped! What are you going to do with the extras? :blink:

Extras? Oh, there are 2 reasons . . . . .

First: Needed an extra KYON to have his buddy, TANIGUCHI!

Figma_019.jpg

Figma_020.jpg

Figma_0231.jpg

Figma_0211.jpg

Second: Needed an extra Tsuruya San to make EMIRI-chan!

Figma_027.jpg

Figma_028.jpg

Edited by VF1A-FAN

VF1A-Fan:

You just became my new favorite cannon fodder. Did you make that classroom diorama or is it a set that can be picked up?

Excellent photography too! :)

Pete

Whoa! Thanks, Pete! Just glad you liked the pics!

I only wished I had that talent to make a decent diorama. The classroom background actually comes with the Koizumi Figure (FIGMA 007). The flooring and classroom furniture I picked up from the following sets:

Figma_034.jpg

Figma_033.jpg

Figma_035.jpg

These are SegaPrize Figure Sets. I picked them up at a couple Anime Shops in Downtown L.A.

Just having a little fun at poor Mikuru-chan 's expense . . . . .

Figma_0241.jpg

Figma_025.jpg

Figma_0151.jpg

Figma_016.jpg

Figma_018.jpg

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Figma_017.jpg

I picked them up at a couple Anime Shops in Downtown L.A.

How I miss being able to walk into something like that... *sniff* :-) Thank goodness for the internets though :p

In any event - the classroom setting looks great. I have always wished that dioramas were a more steady production option in all series; whether Suzumiya or Macross or Gundam or whatever - but they are sadly a rarity...

Pete

The only way to watch the current eps of Haruhi..

endlesseightx5.png

You know, I was thinking about something like that, more specifically the "play all" feature on one of the Aqua Teen Hunger Force DVD's, that plays every episode on screen at the same time.

I never understood what's so great about Aqua Teen Hunger Force that my anime club president keeps liking to screen it...i felt like i had to be drunk to watch that piece of ****.

I never understood what's so great about Aqua Teen Hunger Force that my anime club president keeps liking to screen it...i felt like i had to be drunk to watch that piece of ****.

It's just one of those random weirdness shows that doesn't have to make any sense, either you dig them, or you don't.