What Os/browser Do You Use To Vist Macross World?

Mods, if thy deem this too off-topic, may your divine wrath strike this thread down. But I've participated in plenty of "where do you live?" "how old are you?" "what car do you like?" etc threads. Well, we all get to Macross World (among our many other favored websites) somehow. I'm curious to know how.

Myself, I'd say I've mainly been a Windows man, having owned computers that have run 95, 98, ME, and three XPs. During the days of dial-up, I used Internet Explorer, but after switching to cable, I got frustrated with the ammount of malware that ended up on my system daily, and quickly discovered Firefox, which is now my browser of choice... at least on Windows.

Recently, I've begun to branch out a little. I built another computer out of spare parts, and with no system disc, I figured I'd give Linux a whirl. After some trial and error, I like the KDE desktop over GNOME, and although I'd really like to run SUSE, that computer just can't handle it, so I settled on SimplyMepis. Again, Firefox is the browser of choice... open-source loves open-source.

More recently still, I've developed an infatuation with the new MacBooks. Mind you, I haven't touched a Mac since I was in high school (Mac OS 6 and 7 look kinda familiar), so I decided to try installing Mac OS X on a spare hard drive in my regular PC (no, it's not exactly simply, but since Tiger supports Intel x86 processors, it can be done with a little tweaking). I have to say, I'm impressed, perhaps impressed enough to use a Mac for everything sans PC gaming (I'm in Mac OS now, in fact). The interface is simple, intuitive, and makes XP look positively archaic. With Mac OS, you can still use Firefox, but Apple's Safari browser has a more simple look and feel that meshes better with the rest of the Mac OS environment. Another good choice is Camino.

I use a Mac (w/Safari) as my primary "home" system. At work I am confied to the world of CTRL-ALT-DEL. :) However, with the new Intel-Macs, I may just run Windows @ work as either a dual-boot or through virtualization in the future.

Currently, I use Windows XP Media Center with Seamonkey, AKA real Mozilla.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

In the past I've used Win98 with Mozilla and 2k with both Mozilla and Seamonkey.

I hate Firefox, and will likely never use it again.

I tried it when Phoenix first came out, after the rename to Firebird, the rename to Firefox, and just a few months ago.

The most recent trial died immediatly when ctrl-F failed to bring up an INDUSTRY-STANDARD find box, instead unhiding a crappy toolbar on the bottom that does nothing but add GUI to the find-as-you-type feature.

I've got a few spare machines to play with, and a few ideas for OSes to drop on them. Just haven't done it yet.

No. Internet service should be slow and unreliable; I use XP 'Pro, IE6/AOL...

Edited by myk

WinXP Home at work, WinXP Media Center and Win2K at home. I usually use Firecrotch, err Firefox on all of them, unless I'm checking multiple email accounts. That is when the "stored password" feature of Netscape is helpful. On a very, VERY, rare occasion I'll have to swith to IE because FF and NS don't work 100% on every site.

As far as my favorite OS, I would say that Win2K has been the best one by far out of all the Windoze versions I have used (95, 98, 98se, ME, 2K, XP Home, XP MC, XP Pro).

Mac OS X.

Opera for browsin'.

404064[/snapback]

Why?

Using Windows XP with Opera

Again, why?

I tried Opera once, on a reccomendation. I couldn't discover anything special about it, per se, which I wouldn't hold against it if there weren't a ton of other browsers available that do the same stuff and look better doing it.

Mozilla Firefox, on Windows XP. I like the extra security, the layout, and the way you can manage bookmarks is superior IMO.

I've been a PC user my whole life, but more out of necessity than anything else. They are cheaper and utilize more entertainment software than Macs, but Windows has always been such a horrible OS it actually makes me long for the days of DOS :)

As things change, Macs are looking better for certain applications and I'm considering purchasing a Mac-Mini. I also finally purchased my first Apple product ever; a 5th Generation Video IPod.

Edited by Mr March

Work: Win2000 Pro. WinXP

Approved Browsers(supported): IE

Unapproved Browsers: Firefox

Home: Mac OS X(main computers), WinXP

Mac(s): Safari(99%), IE and Firefox(1% - guests users)

XP: Firefox and IE installed. PC not used to surf or email - mainly for work(60%)/games(40%). Only time IE or Firefox is launched is to do system updates.

Home Win XP pro+Firefox, at work it's a combo Win Xp pro+IE for work stuff (it's the only browser we support) and Portable Firefox running off my USB key for personal browsing during downtime.

The nice thing about portable Firefox is that I can just slip my USB key into any computer and have all my bookmarks right there ready for use.

::edit:: Oh yeah. Holy crap did I just see Lebhead?!

Edited by Nied