New Robotech Shadow Chronicles Vid

Ask and ye shall recieve...more than you imagined...

Thanks for posting the pictures of the Haydonites. These will confirm that Sharon Apple and Hal (from 2001, A Space Odyssey) in fact had a love child, then pissed on it.

Edited by Wicked Ace

hiya, wow finally watch TSC, good movie, got the last dvd at target at 10pm before they closed cuz i forgot it came out today...

anyways, can someone post some good pictures of Maia Sterling or Ariel? i wanna put one as a backround, plus wanna try to do a fanart of them. =] and if possible, the robot girl too, thanks if u can.

"I'm just playin', RT chat on an MW board is fun"

Yeah ok. Then go bash the thread originator.

Hello! Hello! I'm the thread originator. I own the DVD. I watched it twice. I loved it. Shadow Chronicles 2 or 24 episode weekly series can't come fast enough.

Edited by terry the lone wolf

1st Border, thanks for the scans. Great stuff. Those Haydonite mechs look so...bad. You can hardly see them, the shapes are lost in the blackness. I always wanted to see one of those Invid Cats animated but all I ever got was the half-@$$ed Sentinels animation...

Terry, I will say that part of my disappointment came from how incomplete this felt. If there is some culmination, that would help it greatly in my book. There was also the bad CGI, plot holes you could drive a truck through and the disrespect for even their own continuity, but it also just kind of...ended...

Jenius, wrt the Cyclone transform, I swear I remember that too, but it didn't take long...

Terry, I will say that part of my disappointment came from how incomplete this felt. If there is some culmination, that would help it greatly in my book. There was also the bad CGI, plot holes you could drive a truck through and the disrespect for even their own continuity, but it also just kind of...ended...

Hutch, I understand where the Shadow Chronicles began wasn't the exact ending of ep. 85 of ROBOTECH. Lancer & the gang were completly cut out but I had to realize the story really wasn't about them. It would've been cool to see the freedom fighters again but for the sake of keeping the movie running along I'm really not too bothered by it. Still Scott mentioned his ragtag gang in the movie & there's still a chance we'll see them again.

Hutch, I understand where the Shadow Chronicles began wasn't the exact ending of ep. 85 of ROBOTECH. Lancer & the gang were completly cut out but I had to realize the story really wasn't about them. It would've been cool to see the freedom fighters again but for the sake of keeping the movie running along I'm really not too bothered by it. Still Scott mentioned his ragtag gang in the movie & there's still a chance we'll see them again.

But they weren't even IN Reflex Point!! They were there! I have it on DVD as incontravertable proof!! :lol:

And what about Scotts battle with Corg??!? In SC he was just sitting outside RP twiddling his thumbs!

:blink:

Edited by hutch

But they weren't even IN Reflex Point!! They were there! I have it on DVD as incontravertable proof!! :lol:

And what about Scotts battle with Corg??!? In SC he was just sitting outside RP twiddling his thumbs!

:blink:

It would've been a rehash of the past. It was more the spirit of the last episode & not the exact detail. Hey, I really think HG should've added MOSPEADA: Love, Live, Alive as an extra on the SC disc. That would've been a good ending to the New Generation saga. LLA would've explained why Stick aka Scott & Aisha/Ariel were looking so sad because Scott was heading off into space to rejoin the fleet.

There was also the fact that there wasn't a single Invid Command Battloid or Shadow Drone to be seen in the movie. And yes, plot holes aplenty. I'm not sure which I dislike more, this or The Sentinels. There is so much wasted potential with this movie it isn't even funny. And I'm a Robotech fan no less.

From those screencaps the CG seems to me to be really spotty... I mean, the Legioss fighters look like they came out of a video game what with their flat and blocky look... not to mention their total "I made this in photoshop using two color fills and the text tool set to times new roman" texture maps. But then the bad guy units are so rounded and "smooth" with tons of obvious CG "sheen bloom" highlights on them that is sorely lacking on the Legioss fighters... and then we have these huge capital ships that seem to have tons of subtle panel detail and weathering across their large expanses of solid color areas. It almost leaves me with a feeling that three different companies did the three different vehicles.

I sorely hope these things look better moving than they do in these screencaps.

From those screencaps the CG seems to me to be really spotty... *snip*

I sorely hope these things look better moving than they do in these screencaps.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed the blocky, 2-toned CG-coloring. Of course, the shading stood out to me when I saw the screenies.

There was also the fact that there wasn't a single Invid Command Battloid or Shadow Drone to be seen in the movie. And yes, plot holes aplenty. I'm not sure which I dislike more, this or The Sentinels. There is so much wasted potential with this movie it isn't even funny. And I'm a Robotech fan no less.

-sighs-

I couldn't agree with you more. :(

Thanks for posting the pictures of the Haydonites. These will confirm that Sharon Apple and Hal (from 2001, A Space Odyssey) in fact had a love child, then pissed on it.

LMAO...I was watching the movie last night and thought of the exact samething!!! :lol:

....The Lt. commander chick of skull squadron...sterling...is she suppose to be max's daughter?

Bought it yesterday, watched it, and loved it. The animation is important to me, but animation in the old series was way worse than this so I cant really complain. All I can say is the proportions of the bodies are off (giant necks) and the characters were pretty stiff and rarely moved. These things will hopefully be fixed when the when the next installment comes out with a bigger budget. Overall, aside from the music, I think its pretty equal in level to TV animation you see coming out of Japan.

I also first thought of Sharon Apple when I saw the Haydonites, but after Vince blasts off the robes on one, you see that they have a head and torso which HAL and Sharon do not.

Wait a second were all those ships inside one giant ship or something? Or was that some kind of giant moon base, ok I am confused. And yes color me unimpressed by the CG Legioss and mecha, the ships aren't bad, but they could be better.

So a hydonite is just the computer from Plus in a dress.

Went shopping in London today and most DVD or such shops have got loads of the newest versions of the original series stuff, but no Shadow Chronicles ?

So a hydonite is just the computer from Plus in a dress.

Nah, after all Sharon can sing. Can't see the Haydonites managing that.

Went shopping in London today and most DVD or such shops have got loads of the newest versions of the original series stuff, but no Shadow Chronicles ?

As far as I'm aware there is no UK licensee for "Shadow Chronicles". There were rumours a few weeks ago of something in the works that they hoped to announce "very soon" but nothing seems to have come of that.

However, I know that Funimation (the US distributor) has recently signed a distribution deal with a company over here in general terms. So it may be that "Shadow Chronicles" will emerge from that in the future. In the mean time your best bet would be to get it online. dvdboxoffice.com have it for about fourteen pounds which will likely be around what it'd cost on release over here anyway.

Karl

LMAO...I was watching the movie last night and thought of the exact samething!!! :lol:

....The Lt. commander chick of skull squadron...sterling...is she suppose to be max's daughter?

Yep in Prelude to Shadow Chron (I've got the whole series signed by the artist as well as a weird sketch I got him to do of Sakura from Street Fighter in a UNS uniform), it is revealed that Dana takes command of Skull Squad. WooT Dana for the win.

Yep in Prelude to Shadow Chron (I've got the whole series signed by the artist as well as a weird sketch I got him to do of Sakura from Street Fighter in a UNS uniform), it is revealed that Dana takes command of Skull Squad. WooT Dana for the win.

That's a misconception; it was always meant for Maia Sterling to be commander of Skull Squadron after her father Max. Dana's appearance was to set up the sisterly rivilary between her & Maia.

Well I just got done watching this, so here's my thoughts. My biggest gripe was how incomplete it was. Or rather, how nothing of any importance really happened. It's obvious that the movie is a lead-up to a new tv series, but even with that in mind the plot of this was for lack of a better term, pointless. The Haydonites, that no one around Earth knows about, turn on the humans, so we need to... blow up a space station? It's apparent that you need to know about Robotech and really the Sentinel stuff as well because aside from a couple bits on the Invid's invasion and what Protoculture is the movie doesn't tell you anything else and just assumes you're up to speed on everything up to this point. The differences in plot between the end of the tv show and this didn't seem like a huge deal though, and the lack of the other Freedom Fighters wasn't really a problem as they didn't factor into the plot. The show did have a new cast of characters and it would have been too bogged down if they referenced every character possible.

But why didn't the REF fleet just send a 2nd ship after the SDF-3, since they knew exactly where it was and it wasn't going anywhere. It's not like the Icarus itself was the only ship available, especially after the invid up and left.

Oh, and the the flaw in the neutron missiles (whatever it was, they never actually say) is totally forgotten when they blow them all up and blow up the big space station. Hopefully it wasn't something like deadly radiation that will hit Earth anyway and wipe out all life or something.

One thing that I kept shouting out at the screen while I watched it was whenever someone got their Beta shot up, they should just detach it because, you know, it can do that. However, this seemed to have escaped the minds of every single character, as the damaged Betas didn't explode for quite some time. Frankly I'm surprised Maia even realized the ejection system was there.

Speaking of Maia, when I heard her name: Maia Sterling, my only thought was, "Oh god, not another one." Between this and the assortment of offspring in the various Macross works, it's getting to the point where Max and Milia can start forming an entire army of their own consisting of their assorted children.

As for the animation and stuff, I didn't think there was a problem with the 2d hand drawn stuff. The skin-tight jumpsuits are kinda dumb for uniforms, but whatever. With the 3d stuff it was apparent they were trying for a simplified style that seemed more like animation, but they got "simplified cel-shading" mixed up with "blocky and no-animation." The lack of movement in the mechs was more annoying than the basic graphics. The way Alphas would soar through space locked in a rigid pose was jarring compared to other mecha shows where the things actually move their limbs. The drastic reduction in the number of missiles fired compared to the obscene volleys we're used to was a little disappointing too.

Overall, on it's own it's a terrible movie as it relies way too much on previous Robotech knowledge, but as an addition to the Robotech story/pilot to a new series I didn't think it was too bad. The writing was a bit stiff and had some gaping plot holes that could have been rewritten to still keep the same plot elements without being stupidly contrived, but considering the source material (Robotech) it certainly wasn't significantly worse. It's definately the sort of thing that could be improved over time if they had a series to work with.

As to whether or not I'd be interested in a new Robotech series based off this, I'm not sure. I could definately see it working, as the premise is fairly interesting and would definately help Robotech take it's own direction as opposed to being a straight ripoff/mish-mash of other shows. They'd definatly have to do something about the 3d animation, and think about the plot points a bit better, though.

Oh, and the the flaw in the neutron missiles (whatever it was, they never actually say) is totally forgotten when they blow them all up and blow up the big space station. Hopefully it wasn't something like deadly radiation that will hit Earth anyway and wipe out all life or something.

I have to agree. If you read The Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles series then you would've known that the Neutron S missles tear open space and creates black holes. Also, the SDF-03 might've been sucked through the hole they created. Unfortunately, very few people read it.

I'm curious, does Maia ever even say her last name? I remember when I was watching it I was wondering if anyone would ever reference her parents but it seemed to me they went out of their way not to. Also, all we know of are Maia, Dana, Max, and Miriya, that's not a whole army... my family is that size too :).

A lot of people here have complained about Space Station Liberty being blown up. Why? I thought it worked fine for a plot point. I agree with Arkany about how silly the whole "PROBLEM WITH THE MISSILES" was and how we never learned what it was. Seems to me that the inclination though is that they're far more destructive then anticipated and had they been used the Earth forces would have destroyed themselves with the planet. Since they are so awesomely destructive Vince is able to use one to blow up (an apparently very slow moving) Haydonite fleet.

I got lots of issues with the film though but I think most mine are quasi-fanboy-related. The Betas not being as cool as they should be, the Betas not separating as Arkany pointed out, the lack of Southern Cross anything (other than Louis), the lack of the cooler Invid mechs, the re-writing of the battle at Reflex Point.

Man, I think even though I don't want to I may have to buy the SC on DVD. My Blockbuster has it listed as "Very Long Wait" which means something like maybe a couple months until I get it. Oh well, I did see a ton of stock of the DVDs at Best Buy and Walmart today.

:o

I'm a huge supporter of CGI in anime and I don't mean to enter this thread just to post negative thoughts, but after seeing those screen shots I just have to comment. I'd ask the fans for just a little understanding or to skip the rest of my post when I say that is without doubt the worst CGI I have ever seen in a modern production. It's just so shocking...so jarring, I'm having trouble believing those are actual screen shots and I'm not just being played for a fool. My apologies, but that is just so damn poor...something had to be said.

I'd ask the fans for just a little understanding or to skip the rest of my post when I say that is without doubt the worst CGI I have ever seen in a modern production. It's just so shocking...so jarring, I'm having trouble believing those are actual screen shots and I'm not just being played for a fool. My apologies, but that is just so damn poor...something had to be said.

Don't apologize. It IS very bad CG. And I say this as a fan of Robotech. As I said earlier, I don't know which I dislike more, this or The Sentinels. At least the animation for The Sentinels has the excuse of being a salvage job never really intended to be broadly released.

LOL, for those put off by these CG still frames you really need to see the explosions... some are just funny bad.

Worst CG I've ever seen though? No, I wouldn't go that far. Beautiful in any sense? No, definitely not. I think if you think of this as the first few episodes of a TV show rather than a movie you won't be so let down by the CG. If you think of this as the first few episodes from a late 90s TV show it pretty much fits right in.

I'll have it tomorrow. I'm eager to see if it is as bad as people are saying. Hmm.

Have the reviews really been that bad? From my casual surfing the reviews actually seem to be much better than I expected. Heck, Keith didn't throw up in his DVD case and then put it in the bathroom next to his copy of Space Gandam. I consider that a ringing endorsement! :D

Edited by jenius

LOL, for those put off by these CG still frames you really need to see the explosions... some are just funny bad.

Worst CG I've ever seen though? No, I wouldn't go that far. Beautiful in any sense? No, definitely not. I think if you think of this as the first few episodes of a TV show rather than a movie you won't be so let down by the CG. If you think of this as the first few episodes from a late 90s TV show it pretty much fits right in.

Have the reviews really been that bad? From my casual surfing the reviews actually seem to be much better than I expected. Heck, Keith didn't throw up in his DVD case and then put it in the bathroom next to his copy of Space Gandam. I consider that a ringing endorsement! :D

Keith not throwing up is a ringing endorsement? No beautiful CG? Fits right in with 90's stuff (ummm... it's 2007 BTW)... yeah, makes me want to go right out and buy it.

Why even endorse it if you can't truly say it's great and worth it. Rent it? I'm suppose to lower my enjoyment levels because I dont have to keep it?

Yup... everything I want to hear to make me want to see it. Mediocrity is the new word for endorsing RT stuff. Their toys, their comic books, the never going to be finished Shadow Chronicles. They're all barely passable so give it a chance! You won't get sick!!! :lol: