New Robotech Shadow Chronicles Vid

Hey, watch it! Tommy says SC has OVA-quality animation and HG says it's award winning. How could they possibly be wrong?

vinnie

What kind of OVA does he think we've been watching? I really doubt he'd want us to compare this mess to the animation in something like Gundam 0080, or Gunbuster, much less anything animated in the last 10 years.

Edited by bsu legato

Hey, watch it! Tommy says SC has OVA-quality animation and HG says it's award winning. How could they possibly be wrong?

vinnie

Honestly, that's why I felt compelled to step into this thread and comment. It seems the visual "selling points" of this show are being labelled as "fantastic" when not only are they anything but, they are also the exact opposite! I can't understand how the creators of this show are not embarrassed by what was released. I'm embarrassed and I'm not even involved!

I haven't even been following this thread or anything Robotech. I don't even know what this show is about. But someone on another message board linked to this thread on MW about the CGI and I just had to see how bad it was.

They weren't joking.

If its not made in Japan the surely we should not call it Anime, in the strictest terms.

Yes, we should not apply the french word for "cartoon" to this Korean created OVA. I agree, only strictly Japanese made, completely in Japan, OVAs should receive the honor of the French title....

SO um, what can we call "anime" then?

Like many people on this site, I'm sure, Robotech was my stepping-stone into a much bigger and better world of animation. I loved the characters, music, and the fact that the pilots didn't parachute from their planes at the last minute "G.I.Joe style"...Robotech had a storyline. Sure, the storyline was full of holes, but it was a hell of a lot better than some of the other shows that were taking up space. Neeedless to say, I was/am a fan.

Skip ahead a few years...I find out that Robotech is nothing more than three separate shows hacked and slashed together in order to air in the U.S. Super...I guess it's pretty impressive that Macek was even able to make three different stories fit together (loosely) at all. I also hear that Robotech is actually based on a show called Macross. Okay, I guess I'll check it out. Enter a few bootleg VHS tapes and too much free time and I'm hooked. Much better than Robotech! Do I still love Robotech? Love is such a strong word, but, yes, I do still enjoy Robotech. Do I love RT:TSC? That's another paragraph...

I was able to catch The Shadow Chronicles when it came to Connecticut. I have to admit, seeing any anime on the big screen is impressive, but I was immediately drawn to how artificial some of the CGI vehicles and backgrounds were. The animation was decent, but it lacked personality; it basically looked like everything else that is currently on the shelf at your local Best Buy...You know, spiked hair, frowns, large chests...Meh. The sound was fantastic, and the voices were well done. It was great that HG released something for the fans, but I can't help feeling let down. I would have gladly waited another six months to a year for a superior product. Am I being critical of HG and RT:TSC over at Rt.com? Yes. Does it matter? Not really...Like someone mentioned earlier, people are just so happy to have something new to talk about that they'll love anything you throw at them. I've even noticed that at least one thread that was critical of the movie has disappeared. I posted in the "Robotech.com" forum regarding this matter out of curiousity. I almost feel like HG might be trying to keep the negative feedback to a minimum on their site. Can't say that I blame them...

Anyway, just figured that I'd share my thoughts and opinions...As a Robotech fan, I am very disappointed...

Yeah, they mention Maia's last name once or twice. And the thing that was bugging me about that was between Robotech and Macross as well, every subsequent release seems to feature a new and different Sterling/Jenius child. I'm just wondering where Maia came from if the SDF-3 has supposedly been missing the whole time.

As for the station being destroyed, my gripe with it was I think I missed the plot point where they explained why they needed to blow it up, as opposed to, like, launching the missiles or something. And again with how much they stressed how important the flaw in the missiles was, it wasn't brought up once after the first missiles were dealt with. And I don't recall if they mentioned where Liberty station was located, but I think it was still located in the Solar system. If so, and the missiles do go and create black holes, then detonating them there is still dangerous anyway.

The betas were annoying since they weren't shown to be seperate mecha once, and were instead nothing more than alpha FAST packs. And again, they are seperate mecha so the false tension in multiple points with damaged ones is really weak.

Actually even in New Gen/MOSPEADA most of the time the Beta was unpiloted, heck watch the first episode where Scott jettisons his Beta unit.

Actually even in New Gen/MOSPEADA most of the time the Beta was unpiloted, heck watch the first episode where Scott jettisons his Beta unit.

Doesnt make any sense that in the heat of battle they still have it on...its like them waving ..OVER HERE SHOOT ME!!! BIG TARGET!!!

I've even noticed that at least one thread that was critical of the movie has disappeared. I posted in the "Robotech.com" forum regarding this matter out of curiousity. I almost feel like HG might be trying to keep the negative feedback to a minimum on their site. Can't say that I blame them...

Wow, this reminds of a year or two ago when Gundam Official's message board mysteriously disapeared after people started talking about how bad Gundam Seed Destiny was.

I feel like people that say that 'it's so bad it's entertaining' are just forcing themselves to enjoy it because of it's remote connection to RT.

Even me? I hate robotech! I just have a morbid curiousity with their sequel attempts is all....

Seriously though, a group of people I know here locally who are anime fans who see things made in the states made to look like anime they call "amerime".

LOL, that i actually like! Anime is just too broad of a cartoon term. It's kind of like what that politician said about indency on TV (i think that's what it was). "I can't define it, but i know it when i see it!" It's all just vague...

Edit - While I think it's silly to get hung up on cartoon labels, to each their own.

Edited by jenius

What else? JAPANIMATION!

(runs away)

Seriously though, a group of people I know here locally who are anime fans who see things made in the states made to look like anime they call "amerime".

It's funny. If this was broadcasted in Japan as MOSPEADA 2 this would be considered anime. Heck, Batman & Lion King cartoons are considered anime over there. It's only in the western world we specialize that term for a specific way of animating.

I went ahead and picked up Shadow Chronicles last night at Best Buy. Curious to see how it turned out and if it's any good at all.

But regarding the whole subject of whether RT:TSC is really anime or not, I had a phone conversation with one of the guys involved with the show last week about this VERY same topic matter. Here were some of my points:

1) Production of the show was initiated by a US based company and NOT a Japanese company.

2) Script, story, and art direction are all by non-Japanese. Many of these people are WASP's (White Anglo Saxon Persons/Protestants) and in the case where there were Asian-Americans involved, they were once again non-Japanese (ie. Tommy Yunne who is Korean).

3) The animation work is being done by South Koreans, not Japanese. Though a lot of the grunt work on a lot of true Japanese anime is being done by Korean studios (like DR Movie), the thing is all the art, story, and production is being done by the studios and creators back in Japan so thus it is still truly anime. In the case of RT:TSC, it's an American produced show using some mecha and characters originally created for a Japanese anime (Mospeada) 20+ years ago along with ones created by Tommy et al.

Does this mean that RT:TSC is a horrible show? Not necessarily. Unlike the original Robotech series, this an attempt at an original animation production using animation and a story that was specifically created for it. But is it truly anime? I think my points argue that it isn't and that it is less true anime then even the original Robotech series was.

It's funny. If this was broadcasted in Japan as MOSPEADA 2 this would be considered anime. Heck, Batman & Lion King cartoons are considered anime over there. It's only in the western world we specialize that term for a specific way of animating.

All animation/cartoons in Japan would be referred to as anime. But when the term "anime" is be being used here in the US and abroad, it is specifically refering or implying to animation originating from Japan.

If its not made in Japan the surely we should not call it Anime, in the strictest terms.

Then I guess Macross Plus and whole bunch of other shows can't be considered anime :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DR_Movie

I'm waiting for SC from netflix. The CG from trailers I've seen look like Playstation CG scenes.

Edited by dejr8bud

All animation/cartoons in Japan would be referred to as anime. But when the term "anime" is be being used here in the US and abroad, it is specifically refering or implying to animation originating from Japan.

Exactly, we westerners have made changed the meaning to a rather elitest term. Where anything not animated from japan isn't anime but in japan it's not the case.

I thought ANIME was a term used by the Japanese to describe animated TV or movies regardless of where it was made/created. Japanimation however is a different story.

"The only thing I can really think of is the Star Wars Prequels apologists: as long as it carries the franchise's name, it's the greatest piece of work ever. Seriously, there are people over there saying this is really an awesome movie. "

That was exactly the point I was trying to make originally.

Edited by Night Stalker

Well, I watched it. My reaction? Meh. Not terrible, but nothing memorable.

Things that stand out:

Haydonite designs are terrible.

CGI used is terrible.

As many others have said, the bodies seem like templates. I hate that. The pilots are all super-SUPER thing looking in the abdomen area. Very strange looking.

Stilted dialogue.

Where the hell are the rest of Scott's resistance fighters? WTF?!

Luke Skywalker doesn't survive the initial attack.

Edited by meh_cd

Exactly, we westerners have made changed the meaning to a rather elitest term. Where anything not animated from japan isn't anime but in japan it's not the case.

Tom and Jerry was voted one of the 100 best anime of all time in Japan... incedently it was the only non-Japanese show to make the list.

I just picked up Shadow Chron but I'll have to wait for about 7 more hrs till I get home from work to watch it.

Like someone mentioned earlier, people are just so happy to have something new to talk about that they'll love anything you throw at them. I've even noticed that at least one thread that was critical of the movie has disappeared. I posted in the "Robotech.com" forum regarding this matter out of curiousity. I almost feel like HG might be trying to keep the negative feedback to a minimum on their site. Can't say that I blame them...

Anyway, just figured that I'd share my thoughts and opinions...As a Robotech fan, I am very disappointed...

Heh, out of morbid curiosity I went over to RT.com. The amount of praise flowing on there is amazing. Grown men crying for the awesomness that is RT:TSC! Looking at it, I'm sure there is a certain degree of spin control going on.

vinnie

Looking at it, I'm sure there is a certain degree of spin control going on.

I gotta know, what exactly do you think is happening at RT.com? Do you think they're deleting people's negative comments?

On a side note (honestly, not directed at anyone here, my question just reminded me of this), I've seen MANY people complain about threads over at RT.com being deleted. Almost every time, if I had a chance to view the thread before it's deletion, it has always flagrantly broken the Terms of Use. RT.com is a commercial website, not a fansite, they do have rules that they do enforce. I have written some lengthy tirades over there about the show sucking, about the toys sucking, and about all manner of things sucking. They never seem to mind so long as I don't tell anyone where to buy better toys, what toys are better, or swear.

Heh, out of morbid curiosity I went over to RT.com. The amount of praise flowing on there is amazing. Grown men crying for the awesomness that is RT:TSC! Looking at it, I'm sure there is a certain degree of spin control going on.

vinnie

That's how some people feel about Macross 7 and Macross Zero.

Where have you been? This would hardly be the first time such a thing happened.

So, you're saying it's more than like what happens here where six threads exist dedicated to the same thing so they lock 5 of them to let one live on? I mean, sometimes there's such a thing as simple maintenance and I'm sure if I go over to their site right now I'll find a dozen Shadow Chronicles threads. Let me know the parameters and I'd love to test this by throwing some blatant hatred within the Terms of Use and see if they delete it. I've been on those boards a lot for a long time and have said some pretty terrible things and the only repercussion I ever got was from a mod asking me to tone it down.

Sadly, neither do I. There ARE alot of lemmings with this one. They've drunk the Tommy Kool-Aid and love it. Grape flavour no less. <_<

Too true...There are a few of us over there, though, that aren't impressed. For the length of time spent waiting for more Robotech (games, episodes, merchandise, etc...) I would think more people would be disappointed with the final products being distributed. Guess not...I'm not saying that these products completely lack quality, it's obvious that a lot of people worked very hard, but I just feel like much of what has recently been released doesn't capture the same Robotech/Macross mojo...

Incidently, the deleted post I mentioned earlier has appeared in yet another forum. First it was moved to Series & Stories, now it is in the production forum. Eh, whatever. They own the site; they might as well lose a few negative posts here and there...

Sorry to go a little off-topic here, but what has HG's buddies at Toynami done now that they've finally released this video?

Is Toynami taking advantage of the possible "synergy" here, and releasing some new Robotech stuff?

:angry: OF COURSE NOT!!!!! <_<

Sorry for the rant, but I just had to let off a little bit of steam.