Finally Got A 1/48 Valkyrie!!

Vermillion21

Man, it's been a long time coming ... but I finally got a 1/48 Yamato VF-1S Hikaru valkyrie!! WooHoo!! My first 1/48 toy - and it doesn't disappoint!

:D:D:D

I've lurked around these forums and feel ashamed - yes, I fell "victim" to Toynami's marketing ploy with their Robotech MPC (Major Piece of Crap) valkyries - thinking they were the end all, be all toy version of the valkyrie. When I got a Rick version, I was really disappointed. Not knowing about the 1/48 Yamatos, I also bought a Max MPC too.

<_<

Later, I saw the classic 1/55 Bandai re-issues at a local store and bought a VF-1J Hikaru. Man, it was way, way better!!

:)

But after "educating" myself via the internet on valkyrie toys, I now know better. The ONLY seemingly good valkyrie toy is a 1/48 Yamato!! Although, they are a bit pricey.

:D:D:D

I have read the newbie thread, but had a few questions:

1) While I am getting more comfortable with transforming the 1/48 valkyrie (can be tricky at times) - anyone know where I might find an english version of the instructions online? Just so I know I'm doing everything correctly.

2) Are the 1/48 super/strike fastpacks worth it? At $60, that's half the cost of a new 1/48 valkyrie.

3) Is there any point in getting a 1/60 Yamato valkyrie? I've been reading about the weird removable leg transformation ....

4) Will Yamato re-issue the 1/48 VF-1A DYRL Max version? I love that paint scheme!!

Thanks in advance for answering.

1) While I am getting more comfortable with transforming the 1/48 valkyrie (can be tricky at times) - anyone know where I might find an english version of the instructions online? Just so I know I'm doing everything correctly.

I think Graham has a how-to video on here somewhere. I looked and only found the 1/60 one though so hopefully someone else will point you in the right direction.

2) Are the 1/48 super/strike fastpacks worth it? At $60, that's half the cost of a new 1/48 valkyrie.

Yes, they're worth it. They really do spruce this toy up a bunch, and a VF-1S Strike Hikkie is straight DYRL bad-assness.

3) Is there any point in getting a 1/60 Yamato valkyrie? I've been reading about the weird removable leg transformation ....

I think they're worse than the Toynami MPCs if that tells you anything.

4) Will Yamato re-issue the 1/48 VF-1A DYRL Max version? I love that paint scheme!!

Nobody can say for sure... but since they have reissued a lot of the other ones it seems that they will eventually give us more Max 1As. Maybe in time for Xmas? Eh, like I said, nobody knows.

1) While I am getting more comfortable with transforming the 1/48 valkyrie (can be tricky at times) - anyone know where I might find an english version of the instructions online?  Just so I know I'm doing everything correctly.

2) Are the 1/48 super/strike fastpacks worth it?   At $60, that's half the cost of a new 1/48 valkyrie.

3) Is there any point in getting a 1/60 Yamato valkyrie?  I've been reading about the weird removable leg transformation ....

4) Will Yamato re-issue the 1/48 VF-1A DYRL Max version?  I love that paint scheme!!

399252[/snapback]

1) Go check out the Toy section of MacrossWorld. It's got all the info you need.

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/1...48revisited.htm

2) Depends if you like the look with the armor.

3) Some of us think it's got a better looking fighter and battroid mode then the 1/48. It's NOT perfect transformation so if that's your criteria then get the 1/48 or Bandai. The 1/60 scale is currently also the most complete Macross line to date.

4) God willing no. I want to eventually resell mine for a hefty profit. (that's a joke.)

It would be worth having at least one 1/60 VF-1 so that you can place it besides the new 1/60 scale VF-0 and compare the two. You, ARE planning to get that, aren't you?

2) Are the 1/48 super/strike fastpacks worth it? 

3) Is there any point in getting a 1/60 Yamato valkyrie?

4) Will Yamato re-issue the 1/48 VF-1A DYRL Max version?  I love that paint scheme!!

399252[/snapback]

2) For me yes. All my 1/48's have fastpacks or GBP armor.

3) If you can get some at a decent price I would say yes. The fighter modes are awesome.

4) I hope so. I missed out on that one.

Regarding the 1/60 VF-1 issue, I'm one in the minority group that likes the proportions of the 1/60 better.

I have all the 1/60 plus Queadluun -Rau and all the 1/48 minus Low Viz. It's a win-win situation for me, you get all the good things of both lines.

I honestly can't believe how people think the MPC is better than the Yamato 1/60 VF-1. If you look the lineart and compare closely both toys the answer should be pretty clear. But every opinion and taste should be respected. So my advice would be: you get at least one, maybe the unique ones like the VF-1D, the VT-1 or the VE-1, and judge if they are worthy :)

Plus the 1/60 line is the most complete, there's also enemy mecha.

I honestly can't believe how people think the MPC is better than the Yamato 1/60 VF-1. If you look the lineart and compare closely both toys the answer should be pretty clear

I hear ya and I don't wanna start a debate but I did want to clarify, when I say that I feel the MPC is better (honestly, six of one, half a dozen of the other) I don't mean because it looks better. I just mean the MPC is a better toy. No screw covers popping off, no legs falling off, no awkward hips in battloid mode, no mid mid-calf rotation in GERWALK, that sort of thing. The MPC's sculpt is no where near as good as the 1/60's (except for the heads... although the MPC heads look too small).

Another case in point, someone said you should get a 1/60 VF-1 to compare it with the 1/60 VF-0. I think this would be awesome except the 1/60 VF-1S has the worst head sculpt in history. In fact, I think once Yamato saw just how friggin' ugly a head they created they decided not to do a VF-1S Hikaru. Just seeing the head of that sculpt irritates the hell out of me. Add that to the fact the 1/60s look awkward in GERWALK. So, if you wanna do a 0S next 1S comparo you better be leaving both vehicles in fighter mode.

I know how you feel about the 1/60. Every post I read in the past, you always supported with clear and true intentions your sayings ;)

My reply wasn't intended to respond to your post. I always care about the aesthetics of the toy and am very anal regarding the lineart. I never received a 1/60 lemon and i'm quite aware off it's limitations, but I feel that it represents very closely what i see in in the anime.

You are so true about the 1/60 VF-1S head, it's an ABOMINATION!!! I'll never get used to it. That's why my favorite 1/48 is Roy's VF-1S with GBP armor on it :)

And I don't want to start comparing the 1/60 Fast Packs vs the 1/48 ones...

It's like I said earlier, it's a win win situation for me and the 1/60 line is the most complete out there.

Just a few pics of the 1/60 line (max Q-Rau is missing)

post-557-1147558614_thumb.jpg

post-557-1147558777_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ignacio Ocamica

Lineart accuracy and aesthetics aside, I found the 1/60th to be a floppy, sloppy mess, honestly. Maybe if you want to have matching scale between peices of your collection, or to get the models they just dont offer in other scales, then 1/60 may be the choice you have to go with, but if you've got the cash for the 1/48, I find it to be much better/sturider, ect. So, depends on your preference.

your question #2. Yes, they are about half the price of a whole valk, but if you like the super/strike look, they are very well made, hefty stuff. Very detailed too, best armor rendition ever in a *toy* by leaps and bounds in my opinion...

IMHO, yamato 1/60 suffers only from design flaws but not quality wise. I even have a yamato 1/60 ripped apart by my x-GF :blink: but she sure cant beat the sturdiness of the 1/60. Only the wings & the shoulder link were broken when she threw that thing around. But yeah, if I were to choose between 1/48 and 1/60, Id definitely get the 1/48 for its superior look, quality and perfect transformation.

As for the MPC Vf-1's, I dont dare to spend that hefty amount of money (although they are cheap nowadays) for a miserable, static-looking legs MPC. Ive seen one up close and Id say the quality (paint job, plastic quality, etc.) are far inferior to any yamato valks line. The 1/60 design, although suffers from looseness on its legs (yeah its loose like hell), is better in terms of quality. Personally, Id buy 1/60 than spending my cash on an MPC VF-1. But that's my preference on quality wise. If I were to find a perfect transformation valk, Ill try to find something else other than the MPC such as the Bandai's or of course, the 1/48s

aaajin

Edited by aaajin

This one time at Van Camp.. Game Stop, there was a guy asking about the MPC. I patiently waited until I got the chance to talk to the guy. I tried to hint them about Macross/Yamato stuff, and the guy just ignored me :lol:

He looked at me like I was crazy :lol: Macross??? Huh?

It's like I said earlier, it's a win win situation for me and the 1/60 line is the most completa out there.

399285[/snapback]

I am jealous, my cannon fodder did not have the holes for the booster packs. You just brought back a horrid memory. :lol:

This one time at Van Camp.. Game Stop, there was a guy asking about the MPC. I patiently waited until I got the chance to talk to the guy. I tried to hint them about Macross/Yamato stuff, and the guy just ignored me

Every little bit counts. He must have thought you were spying on him.

For me it was the other way around: someone wanted to show me how awesome the MPC was and I was looking at the pics of this from Rtech, and another guy recommended the yammies. I did a bit of ebay window shopping looked at the 1/60 and 1/48 versions, came to MWB and looked for reviews and impressions. Then decided the 1/48 owned when I got my first one.

Because I came in late, I didn't go through all the hassle of earlier version which had loose nose cone and stuff so it was like the perfect time for me. (I had just bought macross on dvd, and watched the old rt dvds and was feeling nostalgiac at the time)

Then after hearing about macross zero I was eager to see this just after seeing the whole macross tv series on dvd.

I just hope that in the future yamato valks don't get too rare and hard to find for the noobs and prices are kept sane so more people can get them. There are probably going to be people asking "what's a yamato version like?" in future and wanting advice on what to get. I would recommend the 1/48 as a good first purchase and to skip 1/60.

They are very detailed and although expensive they are worth it if you are fan of the valks in DYRL where they have the strike cannon. A battroid is considered naked without this upgrade because it is less well equiped for space. If you like the idea of upgrading a valk to a super valk then yeah it is worth getting, but if you are happy with just an atmospheric fighter then that is good too. (I actually like my CF to be without fast packs)

Some of the higlights are that the covers are removable to show the details inside, and they feel weighty due to the diecast. One of the things I like about them is how you have individual micromissiles which you can remove. Something I wish they had done with the 1/60 qrau.

The next choice would be to get a second valk and equip with GBP.

My goal is to try to at least get one of each type: 1A, 1J, and 1S and then equip with fast pack and/or GBP. (and maybe find another low visibility ver.1 to keep mint as I love this color) My main focus so far was on the tv valks as they bring back memories from the show. (ie max and milia full equiped with fast packs fighting side by side in battroid mode in thier distinctive colours, the brownie CF which get blown to bits, the fat hands which are not available in DYRL versions etc)

Although I like the 1/60 scale and the proportions in battroid mode, I love the details on the 1/48 and am a fan of the swing bar used to transform it over the removable legs. No loose joints, or floppy limbs, lightweight so it is easy to pose, and more detail (robot hands looks cool despite being a little unstable when holding the gunpod) all outweigh the 1/60. 1/60 is a good scale to get if you want to try to collect everything but for me the gimmicks in 1/48 make it a more attractive purchase if you are hardcore fan of the vf1.

I only hope we get a future set of macross plus valks with similar level of detail to the 1/48 and 1/60 VF0.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

IMHO, yamato 1/60 suffers only from design flaws but not quality wise. I even have a yamato 1/60 ripped apart by my x-GF  :blink: but she sure cant beat the sturdiness of the 1/60. Only the wings & the shoulder link were broken when she threw that thing around. But yeah, if I were to choose between 1/48 and 1/60, Id definitely get the 1/48 for its superior look, quality and perfect transformation.

>>Other Stuff I agree with for the most part<<<

aaajin

399299[/snapback]

Re: The part of the quote in Bold.

:angry:

You kicked her ass to the curb right the >BEEP< then and right the >BEEP<

there right? Right?!

:blink:

Congrats on getting a new member of the "family"

I was caught in the clutches of MPC lies but found the true path of

enlightenment with the 1/48 Vf-1. I now own atleast one of each the valks produced before this year.

The 1/60s i think are great i have each of them as well and though the transformation isnt perfect i like them for the materials used and accuracy to the lineart.

before long you'll have more family members.

IMHO, yamato 1/60 suffers only from design flaws but not quality wise. I even have a yamato 1/60 ripped apart by my x-GF  :blink: but she sure cant beat the sturdiness of the 1/60. Only the wings & the shoulder link were broken when she threw that thing around. But yeah, if I were to choose between 1/48 and 1/60, Id definitely get the 1/48 for its superior look, quality and perfect transformation.

>>Other Stuff I agree with for the most part<<<

aaajin

399299[/snapback]

Re: The part of the quote in Bold.

:angry:

You kicked her ass to the curb right the >BEEP< then and right the >BEEP<

there right? Right?!

:blink:

399396[/snapback]

no no no...I gave it to her as a present and she did that when she was mad at me one time...alone..

aaajin

Thanks for all the great feedback folks - much appreciated!!

I'll have to check out the transformation link/video that some of you mentioned - thanks for the reference.

As for the strike/super parts - hell, I broke down earlier and pre-ordered a VF-1J super stealth! :D Can't wait until it arrives!!

Still unsure about the 1/60 valkyries - but I will start looking around eBay auctions to see if I can find one at a decent price ... maybe. And yes, Myk - I intend on getting a 1/60 VF-0S .... I think. The review posted here makes it sound pretty sweet - but with limited funds, I really want to build a decent 1/48 collection.

Here's hoping Yamato re-issues Max's 1/48 DYRL valkyrie!!

:rolleyes:

Thanks again all!

That set is friggin' sweet but you should definitely start with the Fast Packs.

148gbp1135ou.jpg

Look how poseable this thing is despite all that armor! Add into that the fact everything opens up to reveal individually painted removable missiles and you are talking about one serious jaw dropper. It effectively doubles the presence of a valk. Yeah, I think it's a bit over-priced but there's no doubting how great it is.

Edited by jenius

I know how you feel about the 1/60. Every post I read in the past, you always supported with clear and true intentions your sayings ;)

My reply wasn't intended to respond to your post. I always care about the aesthetics of the toy and am very anal regarding the lineart. I never received a 1/60 lemon and i'm quite aware off it's limitations, but I feel that it represents very closely what i see in in the anime.

You are so true about the 1/60 VF-1S head, it's an ABOMINATION!!! I'll never get used to it. That's why my favorite 1/48 is Roy's VF-1S with GBP armor on it :)

It's like I said earlier, it's a win win situation for me and the 1/60 line is the most complete out there.

399285[/snapback]

That's a bad ASS collection you've got there! Very nice.

399285[/snapback]

That's a bad ASS collection you've got there! Very nice.

399638[/snapback]

That's the best part of the 1/60 line, it's the most complete out there. Two seaters, enemy mecha and the VF-0S!!

And it's a good thing that when the 1/48's came out they didn't ruin my enjoyment of the 1/60's.

I'm very lucky to be able to pay my expenses, share great moments with my future wife :lol: , and collect Macross as a way of bringing back memories from my childhood ;) and, and...

I would stay away from the 1/60 if you are being selective with your budget and want a better toy out of your money (except the new VF-0S, which has a totally different toy design and almost just like a 1/48 in terms of size and build).

Actually, here's another question:

Q) How good is the GPB armour?!?  Man, that set is friggin expensive!!

Comments?

:huh:

399534[/snapback]

The GBP is the ultimate add-on. It's expensive but there's plenty of detail (inner detail too) and removable missiles. Any VF-1 equipped with the GBP armor is a real heavy-weight. Same with the Fast Packs. You buy one and suddenly you feel the other valks are naked ;)

I'll let the pics talk

post-557-1147821760_thumb.jpg

post-557-1147821890_thumb.jpg

post-557-1147821948_thumb.jpg

post-557-1147822013_thumb.jpg

Regarding the 1/60 VF-1 issue, I'm one in the minority group that likes the proportions of the 1/60 better.

I have all the 1/60 plus Queadluun -Rau and all the 1/48 minus Low Viz. It's a win-win situation for me, you get all the good things of both lines.

I honestly can't believe how people think the MPC is better than the Yamato 1/60 VF-1. If you look the lineart and compare closely both toys the answer should be pretty clear. But every opinion and taste should be respected. So my advice would be: you get at least one, maybe the unique ones like the VF-1D, the VT-1 or the VE-1, and judge if they are worthy :)

Plus the 1/60 line is the most complete, there's also enemy mecha.

399276[/snapback]

I agree with you ignacio; basically 1/60 are much better proportioned and sculpted than 1/48; what makes the 1/48 better is the high level of details; actually i don't see any other reason , except yamato's commercial interests on selling more expensive products, why the 1/60 must have a so evident lack of details!

Even the little transforming KAIYODO one's are better detailed than 1/60!

Nobody have ever thought of detailing a 1/60 with a line engraver set???

I like the 1/48 proportion way better than the 1/60, regardless the details or how the toy was built. But thats just me. ;)

Oh, and the 1S looked really good on the with the GBP too in the pics! Too bad I don't have a lot of extra 1/48 to put armors on. Those look great, even the 1A with a No.3 GBP marking. Nice.

Edited by mpchi

When the 1/48 VF-1 debuted I completely forgot about the 1/60's and even declared them to be a waste of money. Silly as it may sound, I now am grateful that I bought those 1/60 VF-1's as I can place them beside the Zero and note how awesome that it is while also having matching scales.

Funny thing is though, I happen to LIKE the way the 1/60 VF-1 looks; it seems sharper and sleeker than the 1/48, at least in F mode...

it seems sharper and sleeker than the 1/48, at least in F mode...

Yeah, a little too sharp and sleek though. I never thought the fighter looked pointy in the anime. It is a great looking fighter mode though but I think the 1/48 looks closer to how it should.

Right, which is why I'm probably the only one who enjoyes the needle-like appearance of the 1/60 VF-1, as I LOVE fighter mode and don't really care for any of the other modes. Also, the G and B modes for the Zero look that much less attractive to me...

Right, which is why I'm probably the only one who enjoyes the needle-like appearance of the 1/60 VF-1, as I LOVE fighter mode and don't really care for any of the other modes.  Also, the G and B modes for the Zero look that much less attractive to me...

400447[/snapback]

Remember the term "mosquito nose" when the 1/60 debuted?

I like the fighter mode of the 1/60 too. Probably more than the 1/48. I can't get past the wide canopy of the 1/48 from a front view.

This is how the canopy of the 1/48 should look like (the 1/60 and the hasegawa fighter are closer to the lineart)

post-557-1148004460_thumb.jpg