New Star Trek Movie In 2009..

bandit29

sure, they can seek out and explore new worlds... and then blast the crap out of what they find there.

I keep imagining what you are saying being spoken like the opening of TNG shows. :lol:

Patrick Stewart: "Space... the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, and blast the crap out of them, to boldly go where no one has gone before!"

Well the whole point to star trek originally was to show how humanity has advanced and become more peaceful as a race. Where racism, religious hatred and conflict has been eradicated. If humanity went to space just fight then they have learned nothing in all those centuries of advancement. Thats why Star Fleet is mostly peace keeper or defensive most of the time.

Well the whole point to star trek originally was to show how humanity has advanced and become more peaceful as a race. Where racism, religious hatred and conflict has been eradicated. If humanity went to space just fight then they have learned nothing in all those centuries of advancement. Thats why Star Fleet is mostly peace keeper or defensive most of the time.

I wouldn't say so. Starfleet in TOS was more than eager to get into a fight, especially with the Klingons.

I wouldn't say so. Starfleet in TOS was more than eager to get into a fight, especially with the Klingons.

Klingons in that era were the racial obstacle that humans had to face. Klingons were always spoiling for a fight while the Federation were ready to take them on in a drop of a hat.

The Metrons did say we had a thin veneer of civilization when Kirk spared the Gorn. Otherwise humans were still barbaric despite what they preach. Which is pretty much why Organians were disgusted by the violence on their own backyard. Forcing the two to a treaty.

The Federation and Klingon Empire were analogs of the US-USSR Cold War. The Romulan Star Empire being China or North Korea.

Patrick Stewart: "Space... the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, and blast the crap out of them, to boldly go where no one has gone before!"

Hell yeah! That's how ST supposed to be, instead being pacifist-tree-hugging next gen hippies by the time of ST:TNG!

No wonder I skipped ALL ST movies with ST:TNG casts, except for that ST: Nemesis ... but still left much to be desired. Not much blasting outta craps going on ...

Agreed. All it was missing from the movie was some mobile suits.

Waitaminute ..... mobile suits ..... better dream on, cause Mobile Suits only parked near Earth orbitals vicinity .... not even extra-Sol system or intergalactic travels.

The last time we've live action Mobile Suit, it was a travesty ... :angry:

I did buy an Art Asylum Enterprise-A the other day. Very nice. I think I'm going to give up on getting a Bandai 1701-A since they go for an atrocious amount on Ebay. Did Bandai lose/not renew the license or something? I was hoping they were reissue them... Until then, the AA will have to do.... couple bad mold lines (especially on the front connecting fin between the primary and secondary hull right above the photon torpedo launcher. The Aztec detailing is pretty good and I'm pretty impressed for a mass produced toy.

No wonder I skipped ALL ST movies with ST:TNG casts, except for that ST: Nemesis ... but still left much to be desired. Not much blasting outta craps going on ...

You just watched Nemesis? Not a good way to start with Trek films. I skipped Insurrection and Nemesis on the basis that the TNG crew could never outdo First Contact (which had more action and a better storyline).

You just watched Nemesis? Not a good way to start with Trek films. I skipped Insurrection and Nemesis on the basis that the TNG crew could never outdo First Contact (which had more action and a better storyline).

And solved the miystery on how to sure fire kill the Borg. Holographic tommyguns!

Not that I really cared regarding ST-verse. Heck, Gundam UC One Year War had more action compared to entire ST universe ....

Not that I really cared regarding ST-verse. Heck, Gundam UC One Year War had more action compared to entire ST universe ....

:rolleyes: Talk to us after you've watched DS9.

-----------------------------------

Finally watched the movie earlier today but am too lazy to go through every page of this thread.

It was entertaining enough (Definitely, dug Kirk's smugness during the Kobayashi-Maru test). But didn't really enjoy those close-up and "shakey-cam" shots during the fights and battle scenes.

Also, I found Nero to be a less-than-engaging villain. He just felt like some standard, cookie-cutter bad-guy who was evil just for the sake of the plot.

Nero wasn't much of a villain. I'll agree on that. I mean, Shinzon was better ^_^

But none in the movies of all eras are like KHAAAAAAAAANNNN!!!!

Damn Khan and his manly chest is better than ripped shirt Kirk. :lol:

Edited by RedWolf

Warp Drive Engine Could Suck Earth Into Black Hole

Eric Bland, Discovery News

Print

Email

ShareThis

* Yahoo! Buzz

* Facebook

* StumbleUpon

* Digg

* del.icio.us

* MySpace

To email this article, type in your friend's name and email address, your name and email address, and a message. Then click "submit."

Friend's name:

Friend's email:

Your name:

Your email:

Optional Message:

Message Sent!

email sent - confirmed

close

Warp Speed? There's Just This Problem...

Warp Speed? There's Just This Problem... | Discovery News Video

June 11, 2009 -- "Star Trek" makes faster-than-light travel look easy, but according to new calculations by Italian physicists, a warp drive could easily create a black hole that would incinerate any passengers on a space craft and then suck Earth into a black hole.

"Warp drives are so far the best case scenario to attain faster-than-light travel," said Stefano Finazzi of Italy's International School for Advanced Studies. This paper "makes it much harder to realize, if not almost impossible, warp drives."

WATCH VIDEO: Explore the possibilities of time travel with Michio Kaku.

In normal physics, nothing can move faster than the speed of light. Einstein's theory of relativity forbids it. In normal space any object approaching the speed of light will increase in mass exponentially, and require an exponential increase in the amount of power needed to propel it forward.

There are two exceptions to this rule however. The first is what's commonly called a worm hole, a bridge connecting two different parts of space. A ship crossing this bridge would move at below light speed, but still arrive before a beam of light that would have had to go the long way around.

Warp drives are the second and more appealing option. A ship can't move through space faster than the speed of light. But with enough energy, space itself can move faster than the speed of light.

Known for the Mexican physicist Michael Alcubierre who originally developed the idea in the 1990's, an Alcubierre warp drive would create a bubble of energy behind the ship and a lack of energy in front of the ship, like a giant cosmic wave a space ship could surf. That particular section of space can travel faster than the speed of light in the surrounding space, and anything on or in that bubble will accelerate with it.

Finazzi and his colleagues propose creating this bubble of space-time by using a massive amount of "exotic matter," or dark energy. (Exactly how this bubble would be created is still a mystery.) According to their calculations and simplified, it would take a huge amount of energy to create the bubble, and then increasing amounts of energy to contain the highly repulsive dark energy.

Eventually the energy would run out. The bubble would rupture, with catastrophic effects. Inside the bubble the temperature would rise to about 10^32 degrees Kelvin, destroying almost anything on the bubble.

Anyone watching the ship nearby wouldn't be much better off.

"We know that the warp drive will be destabilized," said Finazzi. "But we do not know if it will in the end explode or collapse to a black hole."

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/06/11/w...ive-engine.html

An interesting article on Dark Horizons that is going well until it hits this sentence........

That global number is impressive as its double the highest gross of a previous Trek film (1996's "Star Trek: First Contact") but shows the franchise has yet to really breakthrough outside the US.

Well if the ancient Trek franchise has not been a 'breakthrough' outside the US after so many decades, it ain't gonna happen now.........

C'mon, this is the only SF franchise that can really rival Star Wars for popularity and we get a statement like this?? I love Garths website but i think that he needed to proofread himself there.

link to the rest of the article, its a good read anyway......

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/14440/-de...ek-not-globally

Taksraven

That global number is impressive as its double the highest gross of a previous Trek film (1996's "Star Trek: First Contact") but shows the franchise has yet to really breakthrough outside the US.

I take it this guy does not own a cellphone or anything else inspired by Star Trek. It's not always about money pal.

I take it this guy does not own a cellphone or anything else inspired by Star Trek. It's not always about money pal.

Fan speak is one thing. But financial statistics are concrete evidence.

Thought it was good, but not great. Better than Termimator Salvation at any rate. Wouldn't go to see it a second time at the cinema or buy the DVD, but would go to see a sequel if they make one (which I'm sure they will).

Liked it but too many scenes of Kirk getting his A** handed to him. The cadets, Spock, Nero, and even Nero's henchman was beating him down. Where was Kirk's left hook and leaping kicks? Don't get me wrong I really liked the film but Chris Pine needs that good old Shatner swagger.

• 2 weeks later...

I would never give Trek that much credit though.......

Taksraven

• 1 month later...

Finally tracked down a Bird-of-Prey from the Hotwheels ship line. I know earlier I wasn't impressed with the refit Enterprise, the Enterprise D or the Reliant, but the BoP is awesome. The sculpt is practically spot on, the paint detailing is excellent. Most importantly the wings ARE adjustible, and what's more, they ratchet so they don't sag! Hotwheels really did their homework. Only real complaint is they needed one more ratchet position for the wings, but that's pretty minor. This is definitely the beat rendition of the BoP I've ever had the pleasure of playing with.

If you can find one and are as much of a BoP fan as I am, the Hotwheels BoP is well worth the $13 they are asking.

Vostok 7

Finally tracked down a Bird-of-Prey from the Hotwheels ship line. I know earlier I wasn't impressed with the refit Enterprise, the Enterprise D or the Reliant, but the BoP is awesome. The sculpt is practically spot on, the paint detailing is excellent. Most importantly the wings ARE adjustible, and what's more, they ratchet so they don't sag! Hotwheels really did their homework. Only real complaint is they needed one more ratchet position for the wings, but that's pretty minor. This is definitely the beat rendition of the BoP I've ever had the pleasure of playing with.

If you can find one and are as much of a BoP fan as I am, the Hotwheels BoP is well worth the $13 they are asking.

Vostok 7

In my area, I only have three options for toys: Target, Wal-Mart, and Toys 'R' U. Target and Wal-Mart don't seem to carry them anymore here, and TRU has the same three we've been seeing since the movie first hit.

I'm kinda bummed. I mean, I was mostly disappointed with the price, since there's a lot more plastic than die cast in them, but I bought both the Enterprise D and the refit Enterprise, and they're both good-looking, reasonably detailed little representations. The D even has the saucer separation. I was kinda hoping that even after stores stopped carrying the action figures that the ships could move into the Hot Wheels aisle and we'd see some more. I mean, I'm going to get around to picking up the Reliant, and I'd love to get my hands on the BoP, but there's at least a dozen other ships I'd like to have.

In my area, I only have three options for toys: Target, Wal-Mart, and Toys 'R' U. Target and Wal-Mart don't seem to carry them anymore here, and TRU has the same three we've been seeing since the movie first hit.

I'm kinda bummed. I mean, I was mostly disappointed with the price, since there's a lot more plastic than die cast in them, but I bought both the Enterprise D and the refit Enterprise, and they're both good-looking, reasonably detailed little representations. The D even has the saucer separation. I was kinda hoping that even after stores stopped carrying the action figures that the ships could move into the Hot Wheels aisle and we'd see some more. I mean, I'm going to get around to picking up the Reliant, and I'd love to get my hands on the BoP, but there's at least a dozen other ships I'd like to have.

Yeah, I was starting to think the project was stillborn. I hope they can get more done, Series 2 is supposed to be pretty much repaints of the current ships, Yamato style. That is, if they actually make them. Target is the only place I've actually found them.

Vostok 7