I'm paying my life insurance now, hell might break loose in the next 20 years :lol:

The Ministry Of Defense is in charge of Gundam

Over on the website for the Ministry Of Defense's Technical Research & Development Institute in Japan, the program for the 2007 Research Paper Reading Meeting ~Defense Technology Symposium 2007~, to be held on November 7-8 at the Hotel Grand Hill Ichigaya, was made available. At the end of the program's second page (PDF format), under the exhibition session's Ground Equipment category, there's a listing for "Towards The Realization Of A Gundam (Advanced Personal Equipment System)". Though the form the exhibition will take is unclear, the news is generating buzz with the otaku crowd overseas.

Shiki Delta may be appearing in Unicorn....and there's gonna be a Gundam Fix figure on it.

http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/gundam_efsf/art...d=512&new=1

Transformable Hyaku Shiki :lol: Will they release a MG version of it? I want to complete my MG Zetas series (although this one is not a Zeta series) ^_^

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yesterday i read a magazine (I forgot which one, maybe its Dengeki), one of the article there mention about an upcoming game with MS from Advance of Zeta. I need to check this again.

I hope I'm not the only one that want to see animated version of AoZ :ph34r:

Has anyone heard anything about the US release of the Zeta compilation movies?

I sold off my Zeta series in anticipation of this...and it looks like I got burned (I got that series damn cheap too!)

Why would you sell the series in the first place? In my opinion the movies are not as good as the TV series. It seems rushed at times and the editing not that brilliant either in some places. I think it would have been better for you to have both. Thats what I have, except I have region 3 versions of the movies not the region 1 US versions which seem to be taking forever to come out.

Has anyone heard anything about the US release of the Zeta compilation movies?

I sold off my Zeta series in anticipation of this...and it looks like I got burned (I got that series damn cheap too!)

I'm fairly sure the movies were confirmed for a US release sometime this con season, but they probably won't be out anytime soon.

I'm currently acquiring the Zeta series. Got and watched the first half already. I already know all the spoilers but I'm enjoying it and can't wait to order more. I also love the corpal punishment. Everybody is just so eager to bitch slap Kamile.

I also acquired some of the movies.

I'm digging Sleggar Law. Roy Focker is such a copy cat.

post-242-1196476015_thumb.jpg

post-242-1196475775_thumb.jpg

Why would you sell the series in the first place? In my opinion the movies are not as good as the TV series. It seems rushed at times and the editing not that brilliant either in some places. I think it would have been better for you to have both. Thats what I have, except I have region 3 versions of the movies not the region 1 US versions which seem to be taking forever to come out.

Because I knew I wasn't going to be watching a 50 episode series very often. I like the story, and since I already know it, I will subconsciously fill in any gaps created by dodging editing of the movies. I like Zeta, but not enough to spend another, what...20 hours watching it.

Was there ever a R1 release of Mobile Suit Gundam with subs? I picked up the first disc, only to find out it had only the english 2.0 on it. <_< The only subs I could find was the movie trilogy of the series, which I already have. :angry:

Just the movie set.

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to finishing Turn A Gundam. And I must say this anime has a great story and a very nice ending.

The only big disagreement I have would be how they treated Sochie. While watching I was actually hoping for a twist

in character relations and routing for her, but it was not to happen. Man Sochie's ending is so sad... :(

Also this Anime has a magnificent score. It sort of combines the best of Escaflowne and Macross Plus.

If you like those soundtracks then this is a must have.

My only critique would be the the horrible mecha designs, they are all ugly. Zero points from me.

Welcome... to the exclusive ranks of the Order of the Moustache! Collect your free stick-on 'tache from reception... :)

As noted, Yoko Kanno did the music for Turn-A. As for the mecha designs, they grew on me a lot. Like everyone else, I hated the Turn-A when I first saw the designs, but its now my favourite Gundam design (I even have a cel of it on my wall, and I'm kicking myself that I didn't pick up some of the toys when I had the chance), and I think that a lot of the Turn-A stuff works much better when its moving (like the Flat) then when you see it in static art. I'm not so keen on the Turn-X, though.

Now if only this blasted show would get licensed...

Edited by F-ZeroOne

I'm a Big fan of the UC gundam shows and I've never really watched any of the non UC shows. Basically the character and mecha designs for shows such as Seed or Wing etc didn't appeal to me. The fact that some male characters looking like female or just plain gay just doesn't seem right to me. I've got nothing against gay people, but when designing a male character at least make them look male.

Turn A is the first and only "Alternate Universe" gundam show I've seen. I thought the design for the gundam was great I didn't hate it, but was unsure of it when I first saw it and it was a nice change from all the other gundam designs from the many different shows which are beginning to look all the same to me. Also the character designs were well done even though Loran looked female, but that was acknowledged in the story so he can be disguised as Laura. I seem to like seeing characters in period clothing mixed with advanced technology.

I was aware that the soundtracks I mentioned were from Miss Kanno.

I was trying to give some insight to the type music one is to expect from Turn A,

after all Yoko Kanno has also done Cowboy Bebop and that's a very different score.

Some random thoughts and comments after letting the show sink in:

- For a '99 anime made for TV the animation is exceptionally high and consistent throughout the 50 episodes.

- Like I said I don't like the mecha at all. What's interesting though is that Turn A seems to give

a good sense scaling between mecha and other vehicles or houses. I mean in UC you got your

comparisons too, but it never seemed to be so striking as in Turn A.

- Also I liked how they used the Gundam for all sorts of tasks. Like playing bridge, helping with

transport of stuff and so on. I wish there was more anime that portrayed the (main) mecha and

it's pilot in these type of situations, you know show the mecha solve problems in an innovative way.

- The goofy looking and doofus acting of some of the "enemy" characters (e.g. Corin, the hippie group, Sweaton)

that were introduced during the course of the show was somewhat to my disliking.

-

If Loran and Dianna are married, then why is Loran tucking Dianna away in a separate bed and room???

Overall I think Turn A Gundam is somewhere in top 5 of my internal Gundam rankings, but the epic CCA still takes the crown.

But the pilot looks vulnerable. All you have to do is kick it in the nuts because he sits on the outside of the robot.

True, but when its revealed what the cockpit is - very nearly at the end of the show - its just a beautiful moment.

lechuck, you forgot that the Turn-A is also the greatest clothes spin-dryer ever...! :) This is also another one of the strengths of Turn-A, and it really harks back to a lot of the early Tomino stuff, where people are always doing chores and things; one episode of Turn-A largely resolves around an attempt to round up some cows!

Theres also, I think its episodes 18, set at the field hospital - again, portrays the horror of war in a wonderfully understated way, and much better than, picking an example entirely at random off the top of my head, calling one of the lead characters "Peacecraft"... :p

[...]

- The goofy looking and doofus acting of some of the "enemy" characters (e.g. Corin, the hippie group, Sweaton)

that were introduced during the course of the show was somewhat to my disliking.

[...]

It's been a while since I watched this show but I think most of these behaviours were at least justified (which doesn't mean you're supposed to approve them but at least there's a reason for them to be here... :p )

- Corin spent far too much time in cryostasis and some of his neurones suffered of this; on the other hand, this allows him to recognize the Turn A as the hereditary enemy of space dwellers, a.k.a. the Gundam (I suppose he fought on the side of the colonies during one of the many, many, many space wars which occured all along the Dark History...)

- the hippie group has been forced to live outside of society to preserve the secrets of Dianna and we know how much isolation can drive people crazy especially after several generations, but it's true they're a bit annoying sometimes though I learnt to appreciate them

- Sweaton, who is it already? :huh:

True, but when its revealed what the cockpit is - very nearly at the end of the show - its just a beautiful moment.

[...]

Very beautiful indeed: a great evolution for a design which has been beaten to death all along every Gundam incarnation, I instantly loved it

I don't think Loran & Diana were married, it appeared more that Loran was taking care of her. A strange situation yes, but not a totally unexpected one.

I believe

they are married actually

: Turn A's like these fairy tales where the prince marries his princess and they live happily for the rest of their lives and they have many children... but it's never said to the youths how these children are made ;)

Anyway, one of the greatest endings ever: the music is very important for this conclusion, and definitely right on the money!

I think it's kind of amusing how popular the Turn A has become, considering how incredibly negatively fans reacted to it when it was first unveiled. Then again, with shows like SEED and 00 and their utterly uninspired designs, I suppose fans clamoring for something that breaks the mold isn't that surprising.

We doubted the Tomino, and now we are paying our penance. :)