That's because it deserves it :p

You know, in that sentence, I think you've just summed the entire Turn-A experience. :)

I don't remember where I read that Mead submitted a Gundam design which was just an improved version of the original and Tomino instantly rejected it. His reasons look rather obvious when you know the whole Turn A story: it is indeed a completely different thing than all the other Gundam series, even if the original's spirit is still here

But, to be honest, I didn't really like this design myself at the beginning. Then I saw it in action, and... WOWWW!!!

We doubted the Tomino, and now we are paying our penance. :)

Yep... <_<

Though I like SEED, it's just a remake of the original after all, and despite its qualities something's still missing in...

I think it's kind of amusing how popular the Turn A has become, considering how incredibly negatively fans reacted to it when it was first unveiled. Then again, with shows like SEED and 00 and their utterly uninspired designs, I suppose fans clamoring for something that breaks the mold isn't that surprising.

I think you have to think of SEED (and 00) as opposites of Turn A. You see the mecha for SEED and 00, you think it looks good, only to find the story, characters, or both are boring and cliche. You see mecha for Turn A, you think it doesn't look right for a Gundam, but when you watch it you find that the design fits with what is easily one of the best Gundam series to date.

For all the bashing I do of the non-UC Gundams, I have actually watched and quite enjoyed all of SEED (although if anyone can explain to me just what the hell happened in the final five episodes of each series...!) and actually preferred Destiny to the original SEED series; it just felt like it had more of a history. I also own the entire series of Wing, plus Endless Waltz (though when I dug up my copy the other day, it had so much dust on it I think the Moonlight Butterfly must have got it...!).

The way I've put it before is like this; SEED and its ilk are like highways; they take you where you want to go with the minimum of fuss but the views are a bit boring. Turn-A, on the other hand, is the road less travelled - harder and more difficult to navigate, but the views on the way are much more rewarding.

The other thing about Turn-A is that its probably only seen in context by Gundam fans, who have seen the series which came before it (I saw V-Gundam after Turn-A and although I know Graham likes it - I can even sort of see why - I have trouble seeing that it was actually directed by the same person!) and properly realise just whats been achieved; having said that, it is one Gundam show I would strongly recommend even to people who aren't mecha fans, as its a pretty brilliant SF story in its own right.

Ditto

Though I disagree with you on this point:

[...] (I saw V-Gundam after Turn-A and although I know Graham likes it - I can even sort of see why - I have trouble seeing that it was actually directed by the same person!) [...]

Frankly, V is one of my favorites, right after Turn A and First: I think it has more maturity than Z for example, a better balance between the dark and the light, to use metaphores, and like Turn A and First, it works as a stand-alone with no knowledge required of the previous stories to follow the plot; also, there's something of DYRL? in this show, but in a less 'naive' way although it lacks the poetry of Kawamori, obviously...

I'm surprised no one has started singing/typing Turn A, Turn Turn A, Turn, Turn AAAAAAAAA!

Anyway, V Gundam is a great show also, it seems to be neglected as well, there don't seem to be much loving for that show. Over all just like Turn A, it has some wacky mecha designs, but unlike Turn A, its a very sad story with alot of tragedy. The V2 Gundam is one of my favourite Gundams. I like the "wings of light"

My opinion of V might be influenced by having seen it after Turn-A, which seemed such a breath of fresh air that it might have adversely affected my opinion a bit. It does have good character design and pretty good music.

On the other hand, V also has the Zanscare Empire All-Womens Bazooka-wielding Bikini-clad Assault Squad, which has got to be worth a few points in anyones book. :lol:

On the other hand, V also has the Zanscare Empire All-Womens Bazooka-wielding Bikini-clad Assault Squad, which has got to be worth a few points in anyones book. :lol:

Also the Shrike Team :lol:

Also the Shrike Team :lol:

True! Now that I think of it, though, can anyone explain why the Zanscare Empire AWBBAS?!! :) I remember a bit of dialogue about the V-Gundams pilot being scared of women, but... did someone on the staff notice that Tomino was looking depressed and think "This will cheer him up!"? :)

I thought it was serious, done to distract male pilots during the fight :)

Like the female looking robot in Shirow's Black Magic M-66: it designed it looking like a woman because he thought that soldiers would hesitate to fire at a lady, hence giving the robot the advantage of initiative, or something of this order...

lol V gundam is also fantastic even though I think it has at times way more wacky mech designs then even G gundam. Like the one MS that rides in a giant wheel to name one :S... now then again plot and characters were fantastic along with the score... and the cannon fodder aka the shrike team I actually cared about for cannon fodder like when the one died holding up the launch bridge and the music going thats how connon fodder should go :p

Alright you Newtypes, care to share the name of the fansub group that did all of V Gundam.

Numerous times I have downloaded this show and every time the releases from various groups

come to a grinding halt after first two or three episodes.

Earth's gravity is pulling me down... must... watch... V Gundam...

Alright you Newtypes, care to share the name of the fansub group that did all of V Gundam.

Numerous times I have downloaded this show and every time the releases from various groups

come to a grinding halt after first two or three episodes.

Earth's gravity is pulling me down... must... watch... V Gundam...

I googled for a torrent to get my subbed version of V Gundam, it was for all the episodes, not single ones. I think the version I downloaded was from a bootleg which they revised the english subtitles. I think there is a new fansub for V which is a DVD rip, but I only saw a few episodes available.

I'd believe that theory more if it wasn't for the fact that they shared the same fate as just about all the supporting characters in V-Gundam... :)

And all of them in the single same episode! :p

lechuck -> the subs I watched, a while back, were from AnimeSkyScraper IIRC, but I may be wrong because it was a looong time ago... Otherwise, Hero Legends released the first 6 eps towards the end of december: maybe they picked it up for a complete release; anyway, you can find them onto Animesuki

Seriously. For all the V and Turn A lovin' going on, Zeta is still my favorite.

ZETA is the best gundam show out of the lot, as you can tell from my picture, its my favourite show and gundam design.

But I can never forgive Tomino for killing off Emma :angry:

Edited by kung flu

This is Yoshiyuki Tomino we're talking about. What were you expecting, mercy? :lol:

Considering what he did with Turn A, a happy ending and low death rate, he could have spared Emma in the Zeta movies. :angry:

As surprising as Emma was, nothing tops Uso's mom in V. That is one of the single most screwed up moments in anime that doesn't involve tentacles.

Yes, that was one very sad scene especially when a cease fire was called straight after it, makes it even more unbearable :( :( :(

He has a reputation to consider. How would you like to be labelled "Spare 'em all!"...? :)

Well, at least he changed the ending in the Zeta movies for Camille, he was spared from being retarded :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question for the gundam people. On another message board I was having a discussion if Gundam had 360 view cockpits. IIRC Zeta Gundam era cockpits still wasn't 360 and you can't see below you, above you as well as behind you. Most sites say that the linear cockpit of gundams have a panoramic view so not sure if that's 360.

This picture I found online seemed to suggest the Zeta had a 360 view. Any thoughts?

post-1640-1202296030_thumb.jpg

IIRC, it depends on the UC time period. Most Zeta Gundams certainly had at least a partial all-round view, certainly to the front and sides; not sure about the rear off the top of my head. Chars Counterattack period MS all seemed to have all-round view. Other Gundams, it varies a lot. For example, the 00 ones so far seem to have front and side monitors but not all round views. Ret-conning complicates things a bit; IIRC some of the 0083 suits have all-round views too.

I have a question for the gundam people. On another message board I was having a discussion if Gundam had 360 view cockpits. IIRC Zeta Gundam era cockpits still wasn't 360 and you can't see below you, above you as well as behind you. Most sites say that the linear cockpit of gundams have a panoramic view so not sure if that's 360.

This picture I found online seemed to suggest the Zeta had a 360 view. Any thoughts?

The Zeta had the Linear Seat (Trying to remember where I heard that term...). It was in wider use by the time Zeta rolled around. We caught a glimpse of the future in 0083, with the GP03, which had the same cockpit style.

I have to admit that Zeta is my foavorite out of all of the Gundam I have seen, and I have seen almost all of it. Nothing comes close. The movies were excellent pieces of work. I liked the change in the ending too. Camille not being a veggie was a good idea.

The panoramic monitors were introduced in 0080 with the RX-78NT-1. It would later find itself in the RX-78GP03S. However, nearly all MSs at this time would still be using a standard cockpit. By Zeta, most MS incorporated a panoramic monitor/Linear seat (including Zeta Gundam). By 0093 (CCA), the panoramic monitor/Linear seat was standardized into all MS. Any mass produced MS pre-0083 would still use a standard cockpit. As we move away from the UC timeline, it becomes a bit more spotty.

So uhh...does panoramic monitor/linear seat mean 360 degree vision?

Pretty much. The only blind spot would be where the seat meets the interior surface of the cockpit. If you watch Char's Counterattack, it looks like the pilots are in a chair floating in the middle of space.

Why not just have a screen in front of the pilot with the exterior views of all directions flattened there?

I mean, a sphere sounds like a good idea until you realize that you don't have eyes on the back, top, or sides of your head.

Put all the available visual information where I can see it please.

Why not just have a screen in front of the pilot with the exterior views of all directions flattened there?

I mean, a sphere sounds like a good idea until you realize that you don't have eyes on the back, top, or sides of your head.

Put all the available visual information where I can see it please.

I think your idea would cause information overload on the pilot. There's only so much that a pilot can concentrate on when all the info is in front on him. I mean, there is a limit to how many different screens a pilot can look at, then analyze which screen pertains to what info ,and then to react to it.

There's probably also a comfort factor. I would imagine it's much nicer being able to see all around you. Plus I think there's an intangible "feel" factor when a person can see all around him/herself in a cockpit just as he/she would outside the cockpit.