I have a bootleg of the original show, and the subs aren't dodgy, they're incomprehensible. A lot time ago I even posted screenshots of my favorite moments, which included "Fire the main gun tampon!", "You... poo..." and "Boobs are set on Gaodao!"

The set I've got doesn't have anything like that. Not perfect subs mind you, but nothing random or out of the ordinary.

I have a bootleg of the original show, and the subs aren't dodgy, they're incomprehensible. A lot time ago I even posted screenshots of my favorite moments, which included "Fire the main gun tampon!", "You... poo..." and "Boobs are set on Gaodao!"

That sounds awesome! As bad as it is to have horrible subs, atleast you had some amusing parts.

lol awful bootleg subs make the dvds. Bad subs can ruin it but when they are as awful as you just said their fantastic. I wanna hunt down some HK one piece DVDs never had a clue in hell as to what was going on till I just gave up. I miss the adventures of roof (luffy) Sunkist (sanji) Suro (Zorro) liar boo (usopp) and naomi (nami that one makes sense) and their fight against demon dragons group of men-fish (arlongs army of mermen). Good times :p

The set I've got doesn't have anything like that. Not perfect subs mind you, but nothing random or out of the ordinary.

Which one do you have? Mine's by "Anime Cartoon," and it comes in a black box with the Gundam, Amuro, Char, and Sayla on the cover. 5 discs. I can't even find anyone selling it anymore.

Funny subs are great, some of the time. But sometimes I wish I had a first Gundam set with good subs. The movies are great, but the pacing's better in the TV series.

Oh, and here's a treat for you guys.

post-187-1212180326_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikeszekely

Which one do you have? Mine's by "Anime Cartoon," and it comes in a black box with the Gundam, Amuro, Char, and Sayla on the cover. 5 discs. I can't even find anyone selling it anymore.

Funny subs are great, some of the time. But sometimes I wish I had a first Gundam set with good subs. The movies are great, but the pacing's better in the TV series.

Oh, and here's a treat for you guys.

post-278-1212214669_thumb.jpg[

Sounds like the same cover, and same disc count. But I don't remember anything that bad in the subs. I actually held off a while in getting my set, and picked it up right after they released the rip of the R1 dub disc's. I do remember hearing about aweful subtitles before that though, things like "happy new years" and what not in the dialogue. I can only assume that I lucked out & picked up the release after someone else did a slighty better translation.

You're the lucky one then: my boxset is ununderstandable sometimes, and one episode doesn't event hav english subs, just the chinese ones...

[...]

[...]

Did you give a try to SixtyDeuce fansubs? They're pretty good: you can feel they love the show

Unfortunately, their project seems to be on halt since a while now... Too bad, 'cause there's only 4 eps to sub to complete the series... :(

Keith

That looks like the set I have. You might also have a higher tolerance for bad subs than I do. I noticed that the first time I watched some of my bootlegs, I was just so happy to have the series that I didn't notice how bad the subs were. They seemed a lot worse when I rewatched them later.

Gui

I've honestly never even heard of them. But I noticed that Nyoro~n started fansubbing first Gundam. They're only up to episode 10, but it seems like a current project for them.

You're the lucky one then: my boxset is ununderstandable sometimes, and one episode doesn't event hav english subs, just the chinese ones...

Did you give a try to SixtyDeuce fansubs? They're pretty good: you can feel they love the show

Unfortunately, their project seems to be on halt since a while now... Too bad, 'cause there's only 4 eps to sub to complete the series... :(

Yeah, sixtydeuce does a good job. I don't think the project is on hold, it's just that he has a kid now, so his time is somewhat more limited.

But yeah...with only four episodes to go, it's frustrating...it went from one episode a month, to an episode every three months...which means episode 40 should be popping up any day now.

At least, I've been checking his site once a day recently, hoping, hoping...

Ive looked a bit for the original shows, but they dont seem all tha easy to come by, or cheap to come by. Bootlegs dont seem impossible, but Ive seen enough dodgy subs on Saint Seiya to last a lifetime. Id prefer dubs or at least good subs on the original and Zeta at the least

Or just get a netflix subscription. You can get pretty much all of the R1 released Gundam through them without even a wait.

Well, if he has a kid, I understand better now... :p

Anyway, patience is a virtue, isn't it? :)

Yes, but he's so close...and the last four episodes may have been a rush job (since the show got cancelled), but they're among the best episodes in the whole series.

Oh well...as long as sixtydeuce gets them out by next April, in time for the 30th Anniversary, I guess I'll be content.

As for the HK DVDs...it seems to me to be a rule of thumb that HK subs get worse the longer a show is. Usually the first disc is good, the second is okay, and after that, it just spirals into nonsense. I bought the L-Gaim DVDs, and ended up getting so frustrated with them that I couldn't finish.

Yes, but he's so close...and the last four episodes may have been a rush job (since the show got cancelled), but they're among the best episodes in the whole series.

Oh well...as long as sixtydeuce gets them out by next April, in time for the 30th Anniversary, I guess I'll be content.

As for the HK DVDs...it seems to me to be a rule of thumb that HK subs get worse the longer a show is. Usually the first disc is good, the second is okay, and after that, it just spirals into nonsense. I bought the L-Gaim DVDs, and ended up getting so frustrated with them that I couldn't finish.

You might want to check boxtorrents.com

They have a lot of the old gundam series on there. Datorrents is also worth a check. Subs are better than the HK dvds!

You might want to check boxtorrents.com

They have a lot of the old gundam series on there. Datorrents is also worth a check. Subs are better than the HK dvds!

Oh, believe me...I have ALL the U.C. Gundam stuff with either official subs or fansubs (except for some of the Gundam Evolve episodes, and that pesky Part 2 of SD Gundam Mk. II, which Anime in Action apparently failed to sub).

And, um...episodes 40 to 43 of MSG, which sixtydeuce has yet to finish.

(Interesting you should mention boxtorrents...a while back, they kept automatically banning me for reasons I couldn't understand and they refused to explain, so I gave up on them. On a whim, I tried them again recently, and there have been no problems at all...I still don't understand what happened, but whatever...)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i'm new to gundam. so i had to start with mobile suit gundam (aka mobile suit gundam 0079).

so far, it's alot different than macross. i love sdf macross, dyrl and sdc orguss... but i haven't liked any of the macross sequels (i haven't gone past ep. 10 in macross frontier so maybe i'll like it once i finish it). gundam has so many sequels. so hopefully there will be more gundam sequels that i like compared to the macross sequels.

so far, the original gundam series has been interestin' but not as enjoyable as macross. that is until i got to ep. 4 of it. now it is startin' to get excitin'. and no, i don't hate slow movin' anime series. mobile police patlabor (the first ova and the first movie) is REAL GOOD and it was slow movin'. i just haven't finished the rest of the patlabor series 'cause i started watchin' mospeada... and the orguss... and the ep. 1 of orguss 2... and then ep. 1 of legendary armor samurai warriors (ronin warriors subtitled) and then i switched to gundam 0079...

don't ask me why but i did a google on macross vs. gundam. i found this thread and it turned into a "lets flame this guy who doesn't know the difference between macross (southern cross and mospeada) and robotech. lol.

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=6246

i'm new to gundam. so i had to start with mobile suit gundam (aka mobile suit gundam 0079).

so far, the original gundam series has been interestin' but not as enjoyable as macross.

I found the original UC gundam and its sequels to be far more enjoyable than Macross. Though the first TV series is good, i actually think the movie versions were far superior. So if u get bored of the TV series, give the movies a try. I would recommend watching all the original UC gundam shows since they are in the same universe and leave the alternate jazz for later.

Edited by kung flu

With the original MSG, there seems a point when Tomino suddenly steps up a gear - and that gear is called Lalah. Its a pity the series rushes to an end past that point (ratings problems, IIRC).

Once you've seen most of the UC Gundam stuff, and a couple of the alternate Gundams, then do try Turn-A Gundam. It will surprise and delight you.

With the original MSG, there seems a point when Tomino suddenly steps up a gear - and that gear is called Lalah. Its a pity the series rushes to an end past that point (ratings problems, IIRC).

Once you've seen most of the UC Gundam stuff, and a couple of the alternate Gundams, then do try Turn-A Gundam. It will surprise and delight you.

Yes, Turn A is highly recommended, even though i'm mainly a UC gundam fan, Turn A is the only alternate series i've seen and its a great show made by Tomino too :lol:

Ive seen about 15 episodes of turn A and I like it so far but it is a very slow moving show... It seems to put more emphasis on nostalgia and story than anything else. It also seems like the conflict between the two sides in the series is not taken seriously with carefree risks and low death rate...

I like the show so far but wish it was a little more action oriented. Seems like Tomino was feeling a lot more positive when he made this series... The theme of understanding and caring for one another is a big theme in the story also and that's what he is trying to convey.

The story goes that Tomino was very depressed during the making of V-Gundam - worried about Sunrises merger/takeover with Bandai - and Turn-A was a kind of therapy for him; he even wrote a book about how it helped him get over things.

He also intended it tie up all Gundam continuities; whether he succeeds or not is open to debate but it explains some of the "feel" of the show. I agree that its perhaps a few episodes too long, but when I watched it was after watching ZZ Gundam, V-Gundam and Gundam SEED so I think that made it make even more of an impression on me. Look, Tomino can do happy without slapstick! :)

It might also help to remember the context of what happened when the first designs for the Turn-A emerged in the West, long before there were near-instant downloads of series 30 seconds after broadcast. We all thought he'd gone nuts! It was a wonderful surprise to discover, some years later, what a quality show it is. And I now like the Turn-A design a lot. It is genuinely different, whilst still recognisably being a Gundam.

I think its episode 18 of Turn-A Gundam that manages to convey the seriousness and effects of the conflict quite well - the episode with the field hospital.

Oh, talking of "treats"... :)

2ewgo77.jpg

Edited by F-ZeroOne

• 3 weeks later...

Question:

I'm watching my Gundam DVDs again. Interest rising in Gundam (especially UC). All my old favorite Gundam links are dead. Too much stuff on google. Where is the current Gundam equivalent of Macross World? I know of MAHQ but I'm talking about exclusively Gundam.

I'm watching my Gundam DVDs again. Interest rising in Gundam (especially UC). All my old favorite Gundam links are dead. Too much stuff on google. Where is the current Gundam equivalent of Macross World? I know of MAHQ but I'm talking about exclusively Gundam.

There was the Bandai forums, but that died. Gundam Project and Mecha Domain would have been our equivalent Compendium and MW, but they died a while back. MAHQ is the only one I can think of that still gets lots of traffic.

I use to look for UC gundam stuff a lot when i first got internet, but it was full of Gundam Wing crap, so i gave up and found MW and have used this place ever since. I don't think there is a exclusive gundam place anymore, but MW serves my interest just as well. This place is full of gundam fans anyway, even though its "Macross World".

There was the Bandai forums, but that died. Gundam Project and Mecha Domain would have been our equivalent Compendium and MW, but they died a while back. MAHQ is the only one I can think of that still gets lots of traffic.

Thankfully I was able to obtain a copy of Gundam Project before it went offline.

I don't know if this was ever mentioned here but check out this awesome fan edited video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qWxzmR6vok

Watch Kamille give Gyunei, Quess, and Hathaway the smackdown with a little help from Amuro. :D

Do not watch if you haven't yet seen Char's Counterattack.

Awesome, so the "what if" scenario when Camile mind isn't fried by Sirocco, he would join Londo Bell.

Watched it pretty good showed the zeon invasion of earth and how hopeless the EF's ground forces were against the Zeon MS. Stars a EF infantry group that specializes in destroying MS.

It was pretty neat as good as the first episode of MS Igloo 1 have to wait a while before the next episode.

For those who don't know what Igloo is its ANOTHER UC side story the first igloo was a 6 episode OVA about a zeon weapons testing squad and covered the entire one year war. Very episodic.

Second season seems to be doing the federation side of the war although who it will star if there will be a star has yet to be seen. Pretty neat stuff

I quite liked the first MS Igloo; it was interesting to see an anime focussing on what we Brits used to call "operational research"; however I was a little disturbed by the "good guy Nazis!" feel on occasion and I think they also spoilt the ending a little bit - Tomino would never have let that happen... :)