Yamato 1/48 2500th Anniversary

Firefox

Here is my own custon using VF-1A. It is the 2500th Anniversary version. The decal is from Anasazi37 (If I remember correctly). It has been shelved for long and finally have time to complete it :D The pilot, of course, is the infamous Millia Jenius :D

I have modified the leading edge of the wings, upper air intake (chest area)removed a few antennas (near the main landing gear and air brake) and adding the IR tracker. I also modified the tail section (both vertical tails) and decided to follow the MiG-29 style tail section.

post-731-1142822404_thumb.jpg

post-731-1142822416_thumb.jpg

post-731-1142822429_thumb.jpg

post-731-1142822447_thumb.jpg

Edited by Firefox

Sorry that I didn't take photo of step-by-step. Basically I have to dismantle the entire 1/48 and sand it with 600 - 800 abreshive paper. I then gave all the parts a coat of grey primary paint. Use masking tape (cut into desired shape to mask away the blue section. Apply 3 coats of Insignia White (Tamiya can spary). After the insignia white paint is thouroughly dried (preferably 1 day), remove the masking tape. Use masking tape to cover the white paint (cut according to the shape). Applied 3 coats of Cobalt Blue (Tamiya can spray). After it has dried, removed the mask and applied the final masking for the Orange (Tamiya can spray) color. There is some paint sipping through the seam of the mask. I use 800 - 1000 abreshive to carefully sand the paint away. Re-assemble everything, and applied the decal. After that I applied 3 coats of clear paint to protect the decal and the paint.

The original decals are mostly white and the backgroud is very light blue. I have a hard time to cut the decals out as I could not see it clearly (except for the head logo). I took a picture before but it really turn out nothing. You could check with Anasazi, he should able to sell you one.

Sorry that I didn't take photo of step-by-step. Basically I have to dismantle the entire 1/48 and sand it with 600 - 800 abreshive paper. I then gave all the parts a coat of grey primary paint. Use masking tape (cut into desired shape to mask away the blue section. Apply 3 coats of Insignia White (Tamiya can spary). After the insignia white paint is thouroughly dried (preferably 1 day), remove the masking tape. Use masking tape to cover the white paint (cut according to the shape). Applied 3 coats of Cobalt Blue (Tamiya can spray). After it has dried, removed the mask and applied the final masking for the Orange (Tamiya can spray) color. There is some paint sipping through the seam of the mask. I use 800 - 1000 abreshive to carefully sand the paint away. Re-assemble everything, and applied the decal. After that I applied 3 coats of clear paint to protect the decal and the paint.

The original decals are mostly white and the backgroud is very light blue. I have a hard time to cut the decals out as I could not see it clearly (except for the head logo). I took a picture before but it really turn out nothing. You could check with Anasazi, he should able to sell you one.

382031[/snapback]

That is very, very nice. And, painted with a rattle can! I'm impressed.

Isn't this based on a model custom from a magazine, can you show us that for comparison besides this one? mgpg12.jpg I swear there were some better pics of it out there.

Edited by Knight26

Gabe Q: The little sensor on top of the nose cone is made by a plastic tube (plastic rod is OK too) with putty and a lot of sanding.

Knight26: Yes, the entire paint scheme and the modifications are based on the magazine. The only difference is that I have made a little changes on the sensor on top of the nose cone and bevel tail section. I have decided to use MiG-29 style, rather than the square-cut as shown on the magazine.

post-731-1143083254_thumb.jpg