Macross At New York Toy Fair

Harlock Fan

Those small grey pieces in the valk's box look a deal breaker for me. I'm assuming it needs those pieces to be solid all three modes, and I know I'd lose them all. Battroid looks decent, but I want to see fighter pics.

As for Hikaru, it's the first decent looking Macross 12 incher IMO, but I'm not gonna plunk down $80 for one. Damn, a Roy doll would be huge if it was made in the same scale.

Well I see one problem with the Hikaru doll which hope is fixed on the finished version. Hikaru wears a turtle neck type undershirt in the animation so does figure just has a stuffed piece of material sticking out? For $3 I can buy a loose 1/6 sized turtle neck. For $80 this figure have one too.

I'm thrilled by the little 1/100 toy for $20. That's phenomenal considering they wanted nearly that much for the POS superposeables. The sculpt is clearly superior to the Banpresto. My biggest problem with the Banpresto was never the sculpt though, it was that terrible vinyl they made the valk out of. They're friggin' bendable valks. Hopefully the Toynami is actually made out of some sturdier plastic... I'd be stoked.

As to the man-doll... to each his own, definitely not for me.

Hmmmm.....

The valks are okay, and I know for a fact I'll buy at least one of any valk that costs around $20. As will most of us that frequent this board. I like the idea of having a cheapie to play with....I just hope that they aren't as floppy as the banprestos.

However, the man doll is a little pricey at $80. My interest is directly proportional to how much stuff comes with him. If it is just a doll in a box (even a really fancy box) then I'm out.

As for how it looks, there are a few issues that stand out to me. First, I know he has an anime sculpt, but the head is too big. Secondly, the seams where the legs of the jumpsuit meet the rest of the outfit look a little bulky. I can live with these though...

I just can't get over the price. Look at th stuff that BBI, Dragon, and Sideshow do for aout half the price. To me it looks like about $30 or $40 worth of figure....I'm in a wait and see mood on this one.

Yup, price is the only really appealing thing about these new toys. It's what made the Banprestos appealing also. You know you have a cheap transformable toy you can just play around with and not having to worry about breaking it.

It's too bad they have the same ugly design flaws of the SP's and MP's. The VF-1S has that squashed head design from the Super Poseables. The legs just seem off, too. Atrophied in a way, especially the upper legs. They used that upper leg/hip joint design from the MP's and even the 1/55's. I was really happy when Yamato didn't do that with the 1/60's and 1/48's. It looks so much better. The upper arm pieces seem like they should be higher up in the shoulder parts. I don't like the rounded part of the upper arm piece where it meets the shoulder piece. Should be more angular instead of looking like the Valkyrie has a bone attached to its shoulder.

I just saw these last night and I gotta say I am very impressed by what Toynami is offering here. When the word was first past to me about three months ago that Toynami was going to be putting out more Macross stuff, I didn't expect it to be this much stuff. When the 12" figures were leaked online last month, I thought that this was the extent. These 1/100 Valks were a pleasent surprise. :) Looks good! :)

Now here is what's confusing me... besides some of the detatchable parts (namely the landing gear) how can anyone can compare these to Banpresto's transformable VF-1's? If any comparison should be made it should be with Bandai and Takatoku's 1/100th scale VF-1's which ARE THE SAME FRICKIN' SCALE!!! With the exception of needing to detach some of the parts (namely the landing gear), Toynami's 1/100th scale looks like it beats the old Bandai/Takatoku design in overall appearance (same with Banpresto's VF-1, too). The Toynami and the old Bandai/Takatoku 1/100th scale Valks are a little bit bigger then the Banprestos in overall size.

As for the solid cockpit, the solid cockpit is not a surpise. The old Bandai/Takatoku

s and the Banprestos have solid cockpits. Yamato's 1/100th scale VF-0 was to be a solid cockpit if I remember correctly. At least here, Toynami took a que from Bandai's 1/55th rerelease and are going with a swapable canopy and heatshield.

Along with these being in the $20 to $30 range, Toynami has finally brought out a more afforable variable VF-1 toy for the US and international market.

Looking forward to the 12" figures, but where's Misa, Minmay, and Millia!?!? :D

Looking forward to all these goodies, but my wallet isn't. I thought I was going to be able to take a break from Macross for a while! :p

Roy's right about the turtleneck part... that uniform on that man doll is awesome, but it's a total mess around the neck.

The 1/100 is interesting. I'm gonna reserve judgement until I see more of it. When they first showed the Alpha it had solid canopies. I'm gonna wait to see what the quality is, the cockpit situation and to see if the gunpod can be displayed with the landing gears down. If it meets all those criterias, I might get these. I'm no fan of the smaller scaled valks like the 1/60s, but these might be cool to display next to the Monster.

The valks are perfect transformation sans cockpit and landing gear. but seriously I am not gonna display it gear down much, that stand is too tempting to use! =)

Guys who had the super poseables a while back, how was the plastic quality on those? were they high grade PVC or ABS? I think these might be made of the same material.

If anything these are decent, I mean again it does not hold a candle to any of the yamato valks at all, but it definitely blows the old taka 1/100 away(and from what I remember the old taka did not have rotating wrists while this one has balljoints. Plus the sculpt on this is far superior_.

more news from action-figure.com

In Toynami's 6th year of doing Macross and Robotech fans keep asking for more products from Macross and more ships and items from that universe so Toynami answer with:

The brand new 100th scale collectable transformable collection of key ships from the Macross series. The fifth window box is a preliminary mock up that will probably change and will have the same high quality you know and love.

Every transformable model will change into 3 modes like the masterpiece editions and will come with a display stand that has differenty connectors to display the toy in each of the transformation stages and many poses. Will also come with accessories including hands, missiles, landing gear and weaponary.

There will be 3 assortments out this year each having 3 figures starting with wave one around July with a msrp $20-25 each.

In 100th scale, they wil be able to put out other Mecha and particular models that were not seen in the Robotech universe. There is also a greater possibility in this scale to see some enemy mecha and creations like the Zentradi and others.

Then there is the 12" action doll Hikaru Ichijo Macross figure which is a Popbot and Toynami joint effort. It will come with dogtag and life sized replica patch that you can wear, all in a collectors window box. Due April 2006 $79.99 msrp.

Check out all pictures in US Toyfair Gallery of the Toynami Macross products.

Anyone thinking a smaller voltron could come out of this as well?

Bring on the invid and qraus!!!!!

And this is cheap toy crack, I LOVE the 19.99 price tag!

$80 bucks for Hikaru so what will a taller Roy figure be $100?  I was really hoping for something like $60.

368838[/snapback]

Yeah. $80 is a bit high but the sculpt looks pretty dead on, sure they still need to fix the turtleneck. I totally forgot that Roy's flight suit is a different color......damn this man doll anxiety.

It just on me...Perhaps, HG is continuing to push 'Macross' toys out to keep support their claim to the fact they own 'Macross' rights outside of Japan.  We all know they lost Macross 7 for not speaking up...

-K

369046[/snapback]

Besides their Macross rights it makes business sense for them to start doing this while ADV ir releasing their DVD set over this upcoming year.

As for Macross 7, I think you meant Macross Plus and II. ;)

It just on me...Perhaps, HG is continuing to push 'Macross' toys out to keep support their claim to the fact they own 'Macross' rights outside of Japan.  We all know they lost Macross 7 for not speaking up...

-K

369046[/snapback]

Besides their Macross rights it makes business sense for them to start doing this while ADV ir releasing their DVD set over this upcoming year.

369053[/snapback]

Macross 7... they tried to release the mangas and it never materialized.

It just on me...Perhaps, HG is continuing to push 'Macross' toys out to keep support their claim to the fact they own 'Macross' rights outside of Japan.   We all know they lost Macross 7 for not speaking up...

-K

369046[/snapback]

369053[/snapback]

Ooops...Mean Plus and II. Thanks for the correction.

-K

YAY! Just what we needed! Another VF-1!

Seriously, instead of this why couldn't they just re-create the Gakken Legioss molds and crank them onto the market. You know, a Legioss worth a crap. Instead we get like the 7th rendition of a VF-1 in the past 5 years (Bandai 1/55 reissue, Banprestos, Yamato 1/60, Yamato 1/48, Toynami 1/55). Something different, fans want something DIFFERENT.

Sign a contract with Yamato already. Bring over the 1/48's at a lower price. Start work on NEW things...that would be my approach. I'd try to bridge the gap between Big West and HG.

Argh! The return of the unsightly swingbar!

The interesting use of the Banpresto design may be foreshadowing to the overall quality. But then again, Toynami finally did a decent-enough job with the MP Voltron. Only time can tell!

Ha. "Man-doll."

Sign a contract with Yamato already.  Bring over the 1/48's at a lower price.  Start work on NEW things...that would be my approach.  I'd try to bridge the gap between Big West and HG.

369065[/snapback]

Toynami and Harmony Gold actually did try to reach an agreement with Yamato back in the fall of 2001, but Big West basically told Yamato if they did, Big West would have ended its Macross license with Yamato. Until the legal battle between Big West and Tatsunoko is completely squared away, things will remain the status quo.

Sign a contract with Yamato already.  Bring over the 1/48's at a lower price.  Start work on NEW things...that would be my approach.  I'd try to bridge the gap between Big West and HG.

369065[/snapback]

Toynami and Harmony Gold actually did try to reach an agreement with Yamato back in the fall of 2001, but Big West basically told Yamato if they did, Big West would have ended its Macross license with Yamato. Until the legal battle between Big West and Tatsunoko is completely squared away, things will remain the status quo.

369076[/snapback]

If I was Big West, I woulda done the same thing. It's enough that they have to share the SDF/DYRL licenses, but they would enter dangerous grounds if they give HG an inch with the other properties. HG isn't just a toy company, they would try to make anime and other merchandise with BW's property. Not to mention they have to share profits with them when it comes with the rest of the world. Screw that.

Everyone espects BW to make the agreement, how about if HG just let go of the claim to the rest of Macross and be happy with their SDF/DYRL share?

Edited by >EXO<

Behind the curve on these - I don't have access to MW at work :-( and so I only just saw this thread. I'm not a huge fan of the sculpt on the 1/100th -1S that Toynami seem to have had on show. But at just over £15 quid I suspect I will find myself buying a few of these for display in gerwalk and fighter mode. They'll sit quite nicely in a formation with the few Banpresto's that I have. Hopefully they'll do well enough that they'll give us Super and Strike versions at some point.

Karl

can't believe how many ppl actually like this thing

Well I liked the banpresto for posability and being perfect transformation while retaining a non-chunky sculpt and having good posability. (small means no excess weight, and easy to put them in dramatic pose without the risk of falling and breaking.) I tend to favour valks that look nice and sleek.

So these are kind of an upgrade from banprestos. (no missiles with those) That's my excuse. But I would like to hear reviews before making the purchase. As much as fans of the chunky munky like it for nostaglia, it has a limits in dramatic anime poses.

eg. of skinny aproach:

vfexperimentalcmsummer2002page.jpg

vfexperimentalspringcmpage71wl.jpg

vfexperimentalcmsummer2002page.jpg

vfexperimentalcmsummer2002page1.jpg

yf21 with skinny legs:

yf-21-battroid.jpg

Bring on the invid and qraus!!!!!

Yeah it will be interesting if they attempt to do a line of 1/100 destroids, enemy valks and maybe stuff in mospeada but with banpresto style posability. I think they would have to upscale the mospeada stuff though if that were ever attempted. I always wanted to own a transformable toy of the legioss but am too scared by the MPC and the prices. (most of my money which could have gone to them has gone to 1/48 yammies)

Sign a contract with Yamato already. Bring over the 1/48's at a lower price. Start work on NEW things...that would be my approach. I'd try to bridge the gap between Big West and HG.

Ah that would be great. It would do a lot for getting more macross out there to new fans who were too afraid to import. As I see it, only the hardcore buy multiples while casual people struggle to get just one. So much I want to buy but can't due to the need to import and wait for the wallet to heal.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker