BTW, that reminded me of something I've been meaning to ask:

When I was a kid (mid 90's) I had a combining voltron toy that I remember getting new from a toys R us. I recall it was about a foot tall and was had a spring missile imbedded in black lion's back. it also had accessible cockpits in each lion and tiny little pilot figures to stick in them. Does anyone know who made it and what it was called so I can find some more info on it?

Would be nice two ducks. I get sick of peoples obsession with diecast and I agree. I think the weight really increases the design problems. Would have been such a better build if they'd just used minimal diecast and more heavy plastics.

Could Vehicle Voltron be far behind? Well, in Toynami time that could be a long way off.

Now I wonder if Miracle Productions will sell Toynami their VV design. Toynami likes to cut corners that way like when they brought the Beagle ride armor instead of doing their own version.

If they do, they need to drop all the stupid diecast on the MP VV. All that weight ruins the toy (it is not very fin to pose).

I found this interesting picture:

http://news.toyark.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2013/07/SDCC-2013-Voltron-015.jpg

Is that Vehicle Voltron in the center of the picture transformable?

Apparently Bandai almost got the rights and were going to make an SOC... which would have been the best thing ever... But Toynami got the rights at the zero hour.

Tough time to be a Voltron fan.

Vehicle voltron is a shady sh1t show, and Toynami threw some lights in an old mold and called it good.

Yeah I called toyfreakz directly to made sure they got off their ass and got my refund going.

I'll never order from toyfreakz or buy anything with MP's name on it.

Depends---would it have been designed by the group that did Bandai's V1 VF-25, or the renewal VF-25?

Because they design SOC's?

Every SOC I've had was fantastic. They don't transform though, so they are pretty hard to screw up. As long as the joints are there.

Edited by Gakken85

Oh boy, a reissue of an 8 year old toy with light up eyes. How exciting. :rolleyes:

I know. This is what Toynami does with their money. Re-release a light up version of the same toy with a new base and most likely non-functioning key.

The very definition of lazy. They could have paid for and released that Rook Cyclone. But that would be some thing a real company that actually liked anime would do.

BTW, that reminded me of something I've been meaning to ask:

When I was a kid (mid 90's) I had a combining voltron toy that I remember getting new from a toys R us. I recall it was about a foot tall and was had a spring missile imbedded in black lion's back. it also had accessible cockpits in each lion and tiny little pilot figures to stick in them. Does anyone know who made it and what it was called so I can find some more info on it?

I think I had one of those. It had the castle too. But they weren't as good or cool as the diecast version. This youtube reviewer shows them I think. Search for Voltron.

http://www.youtube.com/retroblasting

I would be surprised if Toynami didn't reissue their VF's. Given that they have partnered with HarmonyFail and WEP to do a robotech/voltron crossover.

Anyways, I just don't know about this thing. Like I went from wanting it for sure to going back up the fence. I mean it looks great next to lion voltron, but the issues twoducks has had has me worried about the longevity of this thing. I mean MP is bound to just vanish back into the shadows soon and stick us all with a $250 ticking time bomb of a figure with no way out.

Edited by reluttr

I would be surprised if Toynami didn't reissue their VF's. Given that they have partnered with HarmonyFail and WEP to do a robotech/voltron crossover.

Anyways, I just don't know about this thing. Like I went from wanting it for sure to going back up the fence. I mean it looks great next to lion voltron, but the issues twoducks has had has me worried about the longevity of this thing. I mean MP is bound to just vanish back into the shadows soon and stick us all with a $250 ticking time bomb of a figure with no way out.

Eh, if the hundreds of us here could throw thousands of dollars at Yamato for similarly self-destructing/broken-out-of-the-box toys then this Voltron I/Dairugger set is no more risky IMO.

Anyway, the light up Voltron III from the 'Con is silly, but I missed the first MP release so I might just buy that light-up deal...

Eh, if the hundreds of us here could throw thousands of dollars at Yamato for similarly self-destructing/broken-out-of-the-box toys then this Voltron I/Dairugger set is no more risky IMO.

Anyway, the light up Voltron III from the 'Con is silly, but I missed the first MP release so I might just buy that light-up deal...

Yamato's haven't been self-destructing/broken-out-of-the-box on that level since the early 2000's. and $250 got you a lot more back then than it does now.

Lol, and i thought that was your own MP Vehicle Voltron you were posting pics of... :lol:

I'm still on the fence... but here's a video made by our local distributor for this MP Voltron saying "improvements" are being made for the supposed "version 2" that's coming out this August (kinda like that sh!t that Takara pulled with MP9)... He also mentioned that this is an officially licensed Voltron product...

LOL! If you look closely the "fixed" version still has a bunch of the posing problems that twoducks has. He has to practically sit there and hold that left arm to keep it from flopping around.

Also Gakken85, was you talking to him through facebook before he sent the refund? He told me he would issue a refund gladly...up until I asked for one tuesday. I know he has seen my messages "thanks to Facebook saying so", but he has yet to reply or refund anything!

I am getting a bit pissed...

Never mind, just got a refund. lol

Oddly I still didn't get a reply or anything, just got a email from toyfreakz saying my order was canceled and a paypal refund.

Edited by reluttr

• 3 months later...

So, that Toynami reissue of MP Voltron? Yours for $225

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TOY10608&mode=retail

With the new LED lights it can wink at you while it rapes your wallet.

wow that is bad. voltron deserved better for his 30th. i hope they at least re-engineered the joints because i've heard the toynami voltron to get is the plastic version of the masterpiece voltron, not the ACTUAL "masterpiece" one that comes in that nice toynami MPC box....i especially like the plastic one with the metallic paint...but even with plastic...some of those joints get loose (perhpas it not 100% a weight issue). That one could be had for $75 or less back in the day....(i should know...i got one lol).

So, that Toynami reissue of MP Voltron? Yours for $225

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TOY10608&mode=retail

With the new LED lights it can wink at you while it rapes your wallet.

Those b**ches! They cancelled the $35 weapon stand I had on pre-order for years, only to include it with this version and add $100 to the price tag.

wow that is bad. voltron deserved better for his 30th. i hope they at least re-engineered the joints because i've heard the toynami voltron to get is the plastic version of the masterpiece voltron, not the ACTUAL "masterpiece" one that comes in that nice toynami MPC box....i especially like the plastic one with the metallic paint...but even with plastic...some of those joints get loose (perhpas it not 100% a weight issue). That one could be had for $75 or less back in the day....(i should know...i got one lol).

Yeah, I bought the diecast 'masterpiece' right when it came out for $99 and I thought it was pretty good until I tried standing it up in combined mode. The hips were so loose that the only way it was possible for him to stand and not do a face plant was to thrust his pelvis out and rest his back against the wall, which looked terrible and still wasn't completely stable. Hopefully this version has much stronger ratchets at the hips. Not that I really care either way as there's no way I'm paying that much for it.

SInce Bandai is legally tied and can't do a SOC Golion, I really wish Miracle Productions would become a full 3P and just do their own take on Lion Voltron. Even with its faults the MP Vehicle Voltron is far better than Toynami's old mold.

SInce Bandai is legally tied and can't do a SOC Golion, I really wish Miracle Productions would become a full 3P and just do their own take on Lion Voltron. Even with its faults the MP Vehicle Voltron is far better than Toynami's old mold.

i actually think the MP VV is pretty damn good. only real complaint i have is, like many modern toys...there is too much play in the ratchet joints. It does look and feel the part of VV better than toynami's does for its source material. the sad thing about toynamis's is that the sculpt is really pretty good. the wings are a ltitle bit skinny but overall its probably the best sulpt of LV....but SOOOOO much more could have been done with it to make it truly modern. I'd call it more a a vintage redux than a modern collectible. the miracle productions VV is firmly a modern toy even if a bit flawed, it still looks modern and poses that way too. i don't do reviews but i give it a 7.5 out of 10. :-)

Oh I find that the MP VV would be the perfect Voltron if not for all the diecast. All that weight makes it not take full advantage of all the great articulation it has. If there was a "plastic version" of it like there is of LV I would be in Voltron heaven.

• 6 months later...

I just watched a few reviews of the Toynami anniversary Voltron. I can't bring myself to get one. But I will say that the use of the key with the light up sounds made me smile. Not as much as if Toynami would have funded the Beagle Rook. I think they lost a sale though because if they released Rook, I wouldn't hold that against them and would get the Voltron. I still want accurate Lions but I don't think enough people would get separate non-transforming Lions. I assume if there was a way to make them anime accurate and transform it would have happened by now.

I assume if there was a way to make them anime accurate and transform it would have happened by now.

It's definitely possible. I just don't think there's a will to make it. Maybe it doesn't look like there's enough demand for such a thing. An anime-accurate Voltron would be great, but I doubt I'd buy another Voltron unless the price is irresistible.

One of the reviewers on youtube mentioned that they interviewed the guy behind Toynami. They asked why Toynami just remade the same Voltron for the anniversary. I think the only difference is diecast materials and the base, weapons, and key stuff. Toynami claimed that the money made off this one would fund others. I'll believe it when I see it.

The same people who did the whacky vehicle Voltron are doing a Lion Voltron.

SSoMHOu.jpg

They are calling themselves Mad toys instead of miracle.

I wouldn't trust it til it ships and some people review it haha

Not sure what's up with the sword. I'm sure they will include 3 or 4 like they did with the Vehicle version.

I think they are going for anime accuracy, whatever that means.

I just hope they lay off the diecast circle jerk and engineer a good toy haha

1966679_zpsb71caec2.jpg

Edited by Gakken85

They have a regular sword for it. The picture shown is the exclusive or "early bird" pre-orders called the Beast Sabre, kinda like a machete version. Toy looks good, especially since my Toynami version is just starting to crumble inexplicably. I'd wait for reviews though. I heard that the vehicle voltron's issues were fix with the last release.

They have a regular sword for it. The picture shown is the exlusive or "early bird" pre-orders called the Beast Sabre, kinda like a machete version. Toy looks good, especially since my Toynami version is just starting to crumble inexplicably. I'd wait for reviews though. I heard that the vehicle voltron's issues were fix with the last release.

Your Toynami Voltron is crumbling? :(