Looks like the disappearing legs is just straight-up anime magic to me. If it's possible at all, it'll require a lot of creative engineering.

Since it "can't be done", I say own it. Make 'em bright shiny chrome and rock the 80s diecast look.

Which, incidentally, is the Toynami solution. They hew very close to the oldschool toy in general, from the looks of things.

Design goal was likely "sleeker, more posable version of the 80s diecast" and not "anime accurate to the max". Though based on the pics I'm looking at, they made him positively anorexic.

Please note that at present, the only Voltron I own is the 80s one with pilot seats for the action figures.

To say it is not anime accurate is roughly akin to saying water is a little bit wet. It fails to capture the essence of the situation. So I AM relying on internet photos for this comparison.

looks cool

Agreed. Furthermore, I don't care for making the legs disappear, I think it looks fine on a robot made of lions. That particular Voltron toy is also interesting because it isn't trying to be anime accurate; it looks like a stylized, almost custom Voltron with the ability to pose dynamically. I like it....

"Not the final colors" I think they are going for a cartoon accurate product, over a toy accurate product. Hence the crest/wings and color choices.

Hi Kamenrider

Our face and paint is almost the final since release date is coming.
This diecast will be much more then toynami more, more then 60%.
the joint to body is plastic

Best Regards,
Tony

and:
it is our first color sample only..and those photos just took by my Phone, haha.
We will have adjustment on production and will submit to. Collectiondx for. Much professional review next week.
For the joint, it is actually same as common use in transformer. Factory name it as Nylon, a very strong and flexible material. Much suitbale and. Common use for joint in toy.

Best Regards
Tony

10628493_1498978390388934_87074405752690

1c70Bdx.jpg

I'm fine with the legs if it adds stability. The paint job def. needs some work Def not a deal break with all the other articulated and diecast goodness going on.

Edited by Gakken85

I feel like the disappearing legs were just to make animation easier. I have always preferred the look of the legs showing... its just more mech looking. I love the way this Voltron looks though, even with the legs inaccuracy... The 80's version had sickly undersized legs for the arm lions. The question is quality... I'm wodering if this is going to fall apart eventually like the Toynami ones.

I agree, watching the "Form Voltron" animation...the animation clearly shows the legs tucking in but still clearly visible, then when they are shown again connecting to the torso they are gone. If this has descent QC I may have to get this!

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I meant, the lions legs are out of place with this voltron, take a look at the pic below with the red arrows. I don't mean to have the legs completely disappear, but to have it fold neatly. This Voltron, In order to bend the arms, the red and green lions, the lions legs are sticking out, it's like having your bone pop out of your arms.

post-7962-0-49839800-1413665071_thumb.jpg

Yeah. I understood what you meant. But it's to compensate for the lion mode. That's why I mentioned that the 80's version had undersized legs in lion mode. The only way to solve that would be to have removable legs and panel covers or revert to the smaller legs of the Godaikin version. Honestly the missing red from the chest bugs me more. Remember the 80's version had the red extend to the Black lion's upper thighs? And it made sense because in the animation there was the lines that seperated it from the rest of the crest base. Still not a deal breaker though... I understand what you're saying about the legs but that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me either.

Ah, ok I get what you are saying now. Yeah, it's a sacrifice, but I agree with EXO that it helps the Lion mode so much more. Though, the Blue and Yellow Lions legs look right to me.

Chris

Well It's not a final shot.

Basically a test shot. So I worry too much about paint.

My main concern is engineering overall and if they overweighted the top with diecast and caused problems with connection/joints like with VV.

Though, my VV 2.5 is really solid and I love it.

Plus, this should be much, much simpler to make work, as it only has 4 connection points vs 12 or 13 with vehicle voltron.

Edited by Gakken85

hmm, for me this is off aesthetically. the chest and torso is way re-imagined for me. the hips aren't right. legs attaching sideways to the crotch piece looks really odd for big figures. the legs should attache above..to the hips. theyve done an ok job trying to hide this but it still sticks out to me. granted its not an eyesore to the level of say fanproject's steelcore (3p transfomer) but its gonna b very obvious in person.

Edited by Mechapilot77

The lion mode isn't improved nearly enough for how they've altered the legs. Lion mode still sucks, and looks nothing like they did on-screen. I'll gladly accept an "imperfect" leg/arm mode for better-looking lions---but this seems to have been changed simply for change's sake, not to really make the lions all that much better.

Also, still hate the wings. Those simply are not Voltron's wings.

• 2 weeks later...

wNAZ1La.jpg

I think you could beat somebody to death with this thing... also this guy breaths really heavy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKrVlKbSh68

Really sweet how they got the ankle tilt in there. Almost worth it for that.

Wings are pretty cartoon accurate. Much more so than the toy.

voltron.jpg

Edited by Gakken85

It's the design of the lion's legs in robot mode; they look clunky and out of place. I thought I would be ok with that look but I'm actually thinking the original toy from the 80's looks better in that regard, as the lion's legs are flush with the bodies...

why is his face blurred out?

I think they moved away from the original look because it'd be too close to Toynami's version. It's too bad the quality of that Voltron sucked because that would have been enough. I do like this one though except for a couple of the points people pointed out and from having other versions. On it's own, I dig it.

They are resculpting the face due to feedback.

I like how beefy it looks. I like most everything, I just with the grey parts were more silver really.

I think the paint will be metallic and bright like the VV, which looks amazing on the shelf.

Edited by Gakken85