Macross Dvd Cover And Artbox

Pat Payne

On Amazon.com, they have the artwork up for the first Macross DVD from ADV. It looks nice, but *DANGER, WILL ROBINSON* they didn't use Haruhiko Mikimoto's art for the DVDs, insteadt opting for what looks like *sigh* Tommy Yune, yet again. :angry: I'm still looking forward to it, but Sweet Evil Jesus, couldn't they have gone with some original Macross art? And while I don't mind the cover logo, they had best not change the title logo on the show. I say again to ADV -- do unto Macross like you did unto Gatchaman.

Anyway, here are the pics:

post-190-1132585788_thumb.jpg

post-190-1132585805_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pat Payne

The Duke is correct.

I'm not positive about the first pic, but the two from the box are from the This Is Animation Illustrations poster book seen here...

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/books/...lustrations.htm

and here...

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/books/mecha_illub.jpg

Edited by Mechamaniac

The Duke is correct.

I'm not positive about the first pic, but the two from the box are from the This Is Animation Illustrations poster book seen here...

and here...

346212[/snapback]

I (gladly :) ) stand corrected on the artbox, then.

The Duke is correct.

and here...

346212[/snapback]

The first pic is not Yune, but a HG artist whose work appeared on the Robotech Perfect Collection video (1995) and the Robotech Perfect Soundtrack Album (1996). Its a nice image IMO.

The Duke is correct.

and here...

346212[/snapback]

The first pic is not Yune, but a HG artist whose work appeared on the Robotech Perfect Collection video (1995) and the Robotech Perfect Soundtrack Album (1996). Its a nice image IMO.

346217[/snapback]

That first pic is older than 1995.

Pretty simple really, just contact ADV sales:

http://www.advfilms.com/FILMScontact.asp

Once thing I've learned over the years is that if customers bitch to the sales department enough, things get changed.

I agree that the dub deserves Mikimoto artwork on every cover!

346226[/snapback]

Bitching (respectfully) is the preferred route, but it may not do any good, depending on whether or not ADV/HG has access to Mikimoto's artwork.

One thing that needs to change is that the cover of DVD #1 needs to be mirrored correctly... the throttle quadrant should be on the left side of the cockpit! I say that we e-mail ADV about this. As for its origin, the cover of the one Robotech Perfect Collection tape is the only place I think I've ever seen it use. Don't know who drew it.

Anyway, it's good that they are using official art for the box and possibly some or all of the DVD's themselves. This stands out much better then the Animeigo DVD boxes and DVD cases.

Thats what I thought, what are you guys so angry about?

346317[/snapback]

We're not angry, we're passionate, like all MacrossWorlders! :p

Edited by Pat Payne

... are we looking for the slightest reason to bash HG? :p:lol:

346443[/snapback]

Always. :D

Having said that, I really dislike the packaging being shown.

Let me preface my commentary by saying that I LIKE Animeigo's packaging.

The DVD case:

There's nothing wrong with the art, but the layout as a whole... IMO, putting solid bars along the top and bottom instead of finding a way to integrate your logo into the design is just

The box:

Bleh.

I don't care WHO did the art, that zentradi clubbing a VF-1 is a lousy spokesperson for the series.

And the package reeks of laziness. Failing a single wide piece that could wrap around the box, they could've found some that at least had a similar color scheme.

And that reguld pic needs to be moved to the open side, or have some sort of a frame added. Seeing the Earth cut off like that as you round the corner just sucks.

The new logo:

I dislike it, but understand the logic. The old one, with it's heavy emphasis on the japanese characters, doesn't lend itself well to mass-market. However, I would have liked to see one more similar to the original logo, "ZOMG STAR WARS" accusations be damned(the slant of the original logo really DOPES beg for some scrolling yellow text...).

The UN Spacey emblem used in the new logo looks more like an A than an O. I keep reading it as Macrass. NOT a good first impression.

I hope the final box at least uses the full text seen on the DVD case instead of the abbreviated one now being shown. Mainly because I want to see the whole title out there.

The abbreviated logo also feels a tad off-balance, but that may be due to the shoddy layout on the hopefully-placeholder box. I'm actually leaning toward the layout end, given it doesn't look near as out-of-place on the reguld side as the zentran side.

I'm hoping that box is merely a preliminary placeholder, and has no relevance whatsoever on the final product.

Edited by JB0

For shame, confusing authentic Studio Nue artwork for Tommy Yune's!  :angry:

Is it really that bad or are we looking for the slightest reason to bash HG? :p:lol:

346443[/snapback]

We (meaning me, as I shamefully got this megillah rolling by invoking the name) are that bad. :p

Macross is just doomed to have ass for art in the U.S. Hell, look at our MP movie edition. Though that image seriously needs to be mirrored to the proper direction, there's no reason such a stupid mistake should have been made.

Will the box or cover art be fixed before release? Hell no. If it's out at Amazon, then it's also about to hit print ad's, and when have you ever seen ADV change their covers once releasing them to the public?

The best we can hope for are reversable covers, which isn't too likely either. As for the box, I was hoping for something finally more character driven, but that appears to have gone out the window too.

Macross is just doomed to have ass for art in the U.S. Hell, look at our MP movie edition. Though that image seriously needs to be mirrored to the proper direction, there's no reason such a stupid mistake should have been made.

Will the box or cover art be fixed before release? Hell no. If it's out at Amazon, then it's also about to hit print ad's, and when have you ever seen ADV change their covers once releasing them to the public?

The best we can hope for are reversable covers, which isn't too likely either. As for the box, I was hoping for something finally more character driven, but that appears to have gone out the window too.

346479[/snapback]

Yeah. I find myself in agreement with this.

I'm sorry, but i've been out in the real world for a while.

The ADV Macross is identical to the Animeigo? I mean, is it just a change in publisher? What are the differences if any.

Thanks.

The ADV Macross is identical to the Animeigo? I mean, is it just a change in publisher? What are the differences if any.

Thanks.

346518[/snapback]

Well the big one is the English Dub track.

I kind of like the Zentradi focus on the box though. It's different. Good pieces too. I always liked the Regult image. The hand to hand fight is a good image too. Clubbing a CF with it's own gunpod. It's a good piece.

I'll play devil's advocate this time and say I like the art choices for the dvd and box.

Edited by Anubis

ADV got permission to do a dub. And they're redoing the subs.

If I recall, they're putting more episodes per disk too.

It is the same. :blink::unsure: I'll shut up now.

ADV got permission to do a dub. And they're redoing the subs.

If I recall, they're putting more episodes per disk too.

346614[/snapback]

So lemmie get this right....its the same as Animeigo...just that it contains new subs....same voice actors as used in Robotech?

- Jin

Does anyone know who drew that picture?

EDIT - I'm also wondering where they got the title?  "Upon the Shoulders of Giants" ???

346873[/snapback]

I don't know why they're using it in a Macross/Robotech context (other than as a possible Zentraedi reference), but "Standing Upon the Shoulder of Giants" is a quote attributed to Sir Issac Newton, discoverer of gravity, all-round scientific genius, possible pyschopath, and crime-buster.

Although often assumed to mean that Sir Issac was acknowledging great minds of the past, its more likely to have been a barbed aside to Robert Hooke, a rival of Newtons who suffered from a hunched back.

The quotation also appears on the edge of some versions of the British 2 pound coin.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Well, yeah, it's a cool quote. but what does it have to do with the original Macross series? Beyond the obvious, Zentraedi reference.

I'm happy to see this English dub is happening, and look forward to hearing Mari do Minmay again (in English) but I hope they don't keep this trend up of making up quotables for each release.

What's to stop them from using...

Carl Macek was wronged....

Steve Yun is god...

Y'know?

just that it contains new subs....same voice actors as used in Robotech?

- Jin

346871[/snapback]

Oh, Sweet zombie Jesus no. Most of the dub actors will come from ADV's stable, most likely...except for the actress who plays Minmay. She's apparently a Japanese singer of some note, Mari something or other... can't remember the last name for the life of me... :p

As for "Upon the Shoulders of Giants" all I can think of is that what they mean is the Protoculture civilization that helped build the ASS-1/Macross in the first place are the "giants" (scientific, that is) whose shoulders the Overtechnology is built upon.