Thundercats

Keith

In transformers, did any of the autobots actually show noticable damage or come close to being killed?

That all changed with the TF movie and if I recall people were really pissed off that optimus died in that. (ironically) But given that cartoons are for little kids and for toy companies to market merchandise, can you blame them for sucking?

The Transformers got blown away occasionally.

Not that it mattered since you rebuild them, unless they died in a theater.

In transformers, did any of the autobots actually show noticable damage or come close to being killed?

Yes, I remember as a kid, that movie rocked my world--and a lot of my friends'--since we were fans of shows like that. To see the deaths of characters we'd gotten used to seeing on afternoon shows, played with their toys, etc. was a pretty big deal back then. I remember, Ironhide died a pretty gruesome death at the hands of Megatron, and it was a shocker since he was one of the few Autobots that could manhandle MT on the TV show...

Yeah I remember that scene of megatron: "Such heroic nonsense." BLAM! :D

And then star scream actually killing people, enough that they would never be seen ever again.

And don't forget the insecticons having thier heads squashed by being run over. To me that was kinda violent even though they are just robots.

The thing that stood out about G1 was the idea that the autobots were the underdog and were mainly cars (automobiles) forced to attack mainly on the ground, while the decepticons were able to fly around and retreat from battle whenever they wanted to. In the movie it looks as if the only thing to turn the tide of battle is optimus prime and even he was hamstrung by "doing the right thing" and fighting with honor while the bad guys would cheat.

I think it was only a matter of time that the autobots would start to lose but that only makes the victory better since it makes the main characters stand out more.

Even when ironhide died it was a heroic death where he was brave enough to keep fighting right till the end, barely able to stand up probably wounded from gunshots. But that death just highlights that he was a brave and tough person. Or that the enemy was a real threat, and at any moment in the theatre you felt "holy poo, if these guys could die, maybe the others are next! There are actually consequences to phucking up"

Because little kids were so used to nothing like that happening in the tv series, it was like a traumatic experience throughout the whole thing. :D Watching the movie was probably a fan's rite of passage to adulthood. Maybe once they witnessed thier king being killed it would be like they were now a man. I think this message is similar to the "maturation", or "transformation" of Hotrod from a daring teenager robot who wants to show off, to a "responsible" leader. (he even "grows up" at the end and becomes bigger)

Not that it mattered since you rebuild them, unless they died in a theater.

Even the movie had its flaws: Although prime died properly and his body changed color (like phase shift armor from gundam seed? :D ) how come Ultra Magnus could be put back together again? To me being able to put them back together again cheapens thier life. If they could die properly like the ones that didn't make it to the end in the theatre, then it would make the cartoon more interesting imo. I think the general rule is if you are popular toy, you live, (except on rare occasions like with prime where the death is supposed to shock) but if you are unpopular you have a good chance of dying. :D

The thing is they made it so that the robots had a soul (spark) and could even come back from the dead. (starscream as a ghost?) Personally I think it would have been more interesting if none of the guys could come back so that when they DID die, it was much more meaningful and the battles they got into each episode were not so repetitive. (bringing us back to the reason why cartoons were ruined through censoring or not making people allowed to die or be fatally injured)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

That's probably the most awesome aspect of the movie. You can see that the producers wanted to get out their aggression from being held under broadcast standards for so long. Even Galvatron totally frying Starscream was a well relished long time wish I'm sure.

My only gripe is that Jazz lived (and my gripe not being the fact that Jazz lived), while in a later episode he's in the autobot graveyard-ship.

I think the difference between kids back then and kids today is kids today are exposed to more but are not encouraged to think for themselves.

Or think at all.

When I was a kid, right alongside Voltron, Transformers, Robotech*, and Captain N, in the list of shows I watched regularly was Mister Wizard.

In a prime afternoon time slot, no less.

That sort of programming only exists on PBS anymore. And evne then, it's (generally) dumbed down severely, with a lot more smoke and mirrors added.

*RT was notable in it's own right, despite the decidedly negative view most of the board members, mtyself included, have of it. Hell, most ADULT entertainment doesn't/didn't have the balls to decimate the planet and then NOT go back in time to stop it so it never happened.

But of course in todays society, kids live in an anal retentive PC saturated Zoloft induced haze where merit and accountibility means nothing.  Back in the old days, there were no fancy cellphones or video game systems or Internet. All you had back then was your imagination.

Actually, kids back then had video games.

A little thing called the NES launched in the early 80s. You may have heard of it. :)

Of course, the games WERE far less detailed.

I don't know about other kids, but I used my imagination to fill in the blanks. Was actually one of my comments about WindWaker when the first previews came out, was that it looked the way I'd always imagined the original game looking when I was a kid.

I remember another Captain of the 80's: Captain N!! loved that belt of his with the pause button and who can forget the dwarf Mega Man, Simon Belmont the jackass and the huge Game Boy.

Yay Nintendo! :p

320712[/snapback]

HELL YES!

I want to see that resurrected.

I could hear Capcom and Konami crying from halfway around the world at the mere thought.

320763[/snapback]

Hey I just remembered that! The dwarf MegaMan ruled. Nintendo had 2 shows thoguh, they also had Mario Bros, live action, which was horrible, then every Friday it was a Zelda cartoon hosted by the Mario Bros. I thought Zelda was kinda cool only because when I was a kid I wanted to kill people with swords.

320767[/snapback]

Funny you mention that...I had plastic katana whenI was a kid and used to jump around the couch watching Kikaider when I was 4 swinging at anything that moved. In fact....I do that now..except watch the Kikaider thing. :lol:

That's probably the most awesome aspect of the movie. You can see that the producers wanted to get out their aggression from being held under broadcast standards for so long. Even Galvatron totally frying Starscream was a well relished long time wish I'm sure.

My only gripe is that Jazz lived (and my gripe not being the fact that Jazz lived), while in a later episode he's in the autobot graveyard-ship.

321247[/snapback]

Dude, thats the ONLY continuity problem with Transformers.

321247[/snapback]

321309[/snapback]

Don't you mean that's NOT THE ONLY continuity problem? ;) For example, in the episode where the Constructicons were first introduced, Megatron described how they were created on Earth. Not too long arfterwards, the whole big story line was introduced of Omega Supreme having been friends with the Constructicons millions of years ago and then him chasing them down for the next few million.

It just always killed me watching the show even when I was just 12 that none of the script writers were working together to make sure their stories held water.

321247[/snapback]

321309[/snapback]

Don't you mean that's NOT THE ONLY continuity problem? ...

321318[/snapback]

I was being a smart ass. Everything in that show is a continunity problem. I feel like some writers didn't even see the other episodes.

• 5 years later...

Wow. I think once you hit 5 years, you should start a new thread, no matter how relevant the old one was. Let dead threads lay.

Anyways---pleasantly surprised at character designs. Not too big on Panthro's sideburns, but everything else looks good.

In the Transformers the movie (the animated one from 1986...the REAL MOVIE), you can see some of the Decepticons who DIED earlier fighting Unicron.

Not as bad as MichealBayBots, where you have the god-awful twins fighting the menacing Devistator (who is a threat because he can only eat sand)...

And ELSEWHERE in the world (although happening at the SAME TIME as Devistator eating sand) the Constructicons are also fighting AUTOBOTS in the background!

Then there's BRAWL the tank who StarScream calls Devistator...

I can go on and on...

There's more continuity issues with the live action film than the G1 animated series...and that's saying A LOT!

Edited by ae_productions

In the Transformers the movie (the animated one from 1986...the REAL MOVIE), you can see some of the Decepticons who DIED earlier fighting Unicron.

Not as bad as MichealBayBots, where you have the god-awful twins fighting the menacing Devistator (who is a threat because he can only eat sand)...

And ELSEWHERE in the world (although happening at the SAME TIME as Devistator eating sand) the Constructicons are also fighting AUTOBOTS in the background!

Then there's BRAWL the tank who StarScream calls Devistator...

I can go on and on...

There's more continuity issues with the live action film than the G1 animated series...and that's saying A LOT!

For all those who love to rave about the perfection of G1 TF, I just have to present this.....

Carbombya_Marker.jpg

That show had some *real* problems.....

For all those who love to rave about the perfection of G1 TF, I just have to present this

That show had some *real* problems.....

What?! No way, lol...

In regards to the T-Cats, you gotta love that Cheetarah...

Here's the press release and promo image, courtesy of SHH:

Roaring to life through WBA and Studio4°C’s use of the Japanese animated artistry of anime, “ThunderCats” characters Lion-O, Mumm-Ra, Panthro, Cheetara and others will spring off the screen with realistic cat-like characteristics inconceivable in previous incarnations.

The new “ThunderCats” will appeal to viewers who have loved the characters all their lives as well as young newcomers to the franchise. A sweeping tale combining swords and science and boasting ferocious battles with the highest of stakes, the grand origin story of Prince Lion-O’s ascension to the throne – and of those who would thwart his destiny at any cost – takes on epic dimensions in this sharp new telling. As the forces of good and evil battle each other in the quest for the fabled Stones of Power, Lion-O and his champions learn valuable lessons of loyalty, honor and mortality in every episode.

“ThunderCats” is executive produced by Sam Register (“Teen Titans,” “Ben 10,” “Batman: The Brave and the Bold”). Michael Jelenic (“Batman: The Brave and the Bold,” “Wonder Woman”) and Ethan Spaulding (“Avatar: The Last Airbender”) are the producers.

thundercats(3).jpg

Cheetara with cleavage & goth girl makeup ftw. I was expecting so much worse from the "thundercats movie" promo designs. The only thing that scares me here, is "Batman The Brave & The Bold" being mentioned in the same press release.

So no Wiley kittens? I'm OK with that. I'm digging the designs. I hope they keep Lion'O's Thunderclaw also. The sword looks the same except for the hilt part. I remember drawing that whole sword as a kid and it was a pretty awesome design. I'm also OK if they rid of the whole Jaga aspect. It was a weak SW rip off.

As animated femmes go, it's the original Cheetarah ftw. Had the MILF vibe going, back before anyone even coined the phrase. The new one looks too young.

Yeeeeessssssssssss...Give them to me RAW, and WRIGGLING! Lol

Cheetara with cleavage & goth girl makeup ftw.

Yup yup yup! And we're talking freak-of-nature cleavage here.

I'm also OK if they rid of the whole Jaga aspect. It was a weak SW rip off.

Ha ha no kidding. But any chance to ride the never-ending SW gravy train will be taken I'm sure. I do hope they keep the sword of Plundarr (sp?) though-wouldn't mind seeing the sword of Omens get broken in HALF or something, (insert evil laugh here)...

Edited by myk

I was expecting so much worse from the "thundercats movie" promo designs. The only thing that scares me here, is "Batman The Brave & The Bold" being mentioned in the same press release.

This is for the cartoon. There's still no word about an actual movie. But a new cartoon series is coming, hence why you see the names of guys who helped produce "Batman The Brave & The Bold".

I hope they keep Lion'O's Thunderclaw also.

It's there, just not in THAT particular promo pic. You can see it with a promo pic with the new toys that were announced yesterday which areaseven posted yesterday.

Ha ha no kidding. But any chance to ride the never-ending SW gravy train will be taken I'm sure. I do hope they keep the sword of Plundarr (sp?) though-wouldn't mind seeing the sword of Omens get broken in HALF or something, (insert evil laugh here)...

Not to mention the origin was straight from Superman's origin.

It's there, just not in THAT particular promo pic. You can see it with a promo pic with the new toys that were announced yesterday which areaseven posted yesterday.

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

This is for the cartoon. There's still no word about an actual movie. But a new cartoon series is coming, hence why you see the names of guys who helped produce "Batman The Brave & The Bold".

Oh I know there's no more movie, but when there was, the movie's CG dark lanky designs were aweful.

I'm digging the redesigned characters. Except for Lion-o. He seems too young.

If you remember from the original series, Lion-o was infact just a boy, it was the effects of traveling through space and eventually landing on "Third Earth" that aged him a bit....maybe that its what they are going for?

I'm okay with the new Lion-o...he WAS supposed to be younger than the rest of the Thundercats, so that doesn't really bother me. Also like the Tigra design. As for the other two, I prefer the originals. Old Cheetarah>new Cheetarah...new design just has that "generic female super hero" look, meh. Also loses points for the hentai boobs :rolleyes:

As for the toys, I'll have to see better pics before I make up my mind...Thundertank looks promising though. I don't know about the new Sword of Omens, that hilt is a little too phallic looking for my taste.

Edited by ambient73