Thundercats

Keith

:o How did you remember that lame show? Thats right up there with Captain Planet and Centurions.

319414[/snapback]

I also remember that Tigersharks was part of Rankin-Bass' ill-fated cartoon show The Comic Strip, which also included Street Frogs, Karate Kat and Mini-Monsters.

319415[/snapback]

You could have just made all that crap up, I have no idea. In the 80's if it was a cartoon and it wasn't Macross, GI Joe, or Transformers, it didn't get watched at my house.

SNARF SNARF

T-cats is one of those shows that could really entertain me as a kid, but now I could never watch it.  Its kind of like when I watched the A-Team recently.  I was SO dissapointed.  I just remembered it to be so awesome, but thats 'cause I was a kid.  Now its just stupid.

319013[/snapback]

Exactly! I remember the last show of the A-Team I watched. The team shot down a helicopter and it smashed into the side of a cliff with a HUGE explosion. They cut away for a second and then cut back and showed everyone who was in the copter stumbling away from the wreck.

It was at that point they surpased my threshold of believability and I never watched it again, I musta been 12 or 13 at the time.

Edited by Grayson72

There was a show, Galaxy Rangers?

Anyone remember that?

It had like 4 cowboy kind of sci fi guys and there was some plotline about the leaders son being kidnapped and brainwashed to be a zombie. Pretty dark stuff. I wonder if it was another import anime where they butchered it with American voice acting and scripts.

319497[/snapback]

Yep it was one of the better 80`s show :

http://www.tmpforums.com/index.php?showtopic=13557

There was a show, Galaxy Rangers?

Anyone remember that?

It had like 4 cowboy kind of sci fi guys and there was some plotline about the leaders son being kidnapped and brainwashed to be a zombie. Pretty dark stuff. I wonder if it was another import anime where they butchered it with American voice acting and scripts.

319497[/snapback]

Legend of the Galaxy Rangers was one of my all time favorite cartoons in the '80s. I liked it more than Robotech even... heh. I have the two FHE commercially released VHS tapes of the show but to my knowledge there are no plans to release it on DVD which is a shame.

For the record it is just as purile and dopey as any other kid's show in the '80s complete with stilted dialogue, goofy bad guys, impossible plotlines and dorky alien friends with goof-ball humor... but for some reason the show worked for me. I think it was the whole "space cowboys" angle that did it...

... that and they actually drew their guns and (gasp) SHOT the badguys... albeit they didn't die and they never showed blood but people actually got "hurt" in the show and that was kind of neat for the time. The only reason Robotech one-upped it in my book was that LGR did not really have a cohesive story... it was the typical "bunch of random episodes" kind of classic '80s kids cartoon.

With all the robot/war shows like transformers, Robotech, captain power, Saber RIder etc, Thundercats who were about half cat half humans never appealed to me as a kid. I rather be watching Silver Hawks. :lol:

Man, you had to bring up Comic Strip, what'd that last, a whole 10 episodes? And I'm only surprised A1, I would have thought Thundercats would be right up your alley. Bad acting, swords, muscles, you are a swartzenegar fan afterall :)

Well poo... how come they are not in stores?

319761[/snapback]

There's some kind of messed up delay with shipping from wherever they are being manufactured. I spent a good hour hollering at the local Best Buy Bums on where the hell my set was on Tues and then on Wed. Looks like the release has been pushed back a week.

Edited by Jemstone

Thunercats are for girly men.....like Agentdumb.....I mean One. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

319498[/snapback]

Trolling again I see. Well I think T-cats are lame, as I said on page one. I think you are lame too, but in comparison, much lamer than T-cats.

Man, you had to bring up Comic Strip, what'd that last, a whole 10 episodes? And I'm only surprised A1, I would have thought Thundercats would be right up your alley. Bad acting, swords, muscles, you are a swartzenegar fan afterall :)

319617[/snapback]

Bah-dum KSSH!

Thundercats.... HOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

319617[/snapback]

Actually cartoon muscles that are unrealistically huge piss me off. Leaves kids with an idea that the perfect body is impossible to attain just because it is such a deviation from the kind of body they have. It also dismisses the fact that one has to seriously bust their ass to get a physique like that. When everyone in the show has muscles like that, its like its no big deal... When you see a Schwarzenegger movie you realize how sepecial that kind of body really is.

Since somebody will ask I may as well address this now:

I dislike steriods for this reason also, it leaves people frustrated with what they can't do naturally and forces them to quit as the fitness standard is elivated as a rusult of these chemical enhancments.

I remember as a kid that Thundercats was the coolest thing since He-man where I lived. The toys with the glowing eyes where the best thing since sliced bread. Haven't seen them since.

Speaking of oldies; there was this show about a sherif in a planet that was the new Texas or something. His partner was a horse that could talk and transform into a biped and had a kinky relationship with his bazooka.

I also remember a show that was abaut a guy trying to find his father and fighting the plant monters that his idiot dad created. He led a band of freedom fighters around the galaxy battling in robot cars. It was really neat how the plant creatures turned to cars, with all the internal organs showing.

I feel old :unsure:

I also remember a show that was abaut a guy trying to find his father and fighting the plant monters that his idiot dad created. He led a band of freedom fighters around the galaxy battling in robot cars. It was really neat how the plant creatures turned to cars, with all the internal organs showing.

319819[/snapback]

That was Jayce and Wheeled Warriors. DIC did a lot of shows back then like Jayce, Pole Position, MASK, etc.

Nothing beat Mighty Orbots though, and it was actually done by a Japanese production house - Tokyo Movie Shinsha - for ABC.

Speaking of oldies; there was this show about a sherif in a planet that was the new Texas or something. His partner was a horse that could talk and transform into a biped and had a kinky relationship with his bazooka.

319819[/snapback]

Marshall Bravestar.

Nothing beat Mighty Orbots though, and it was actually done by a Japanese production house -Â Tokyo Movie Shinsha - for ABC.

319820[/snapback]

Go! Mighty Orbots! Together ...for something...et cetera....... Go! Mighty Orbots! :lol:

http://well-of-souls.com/orbots/archive/orbotsintro01.mov

As I recall, Mighty Orbots was a collaboration between an American and a Japanese studio.

Yup, here it is

http://well-of-souls.com/orbots/credits.htm

I saw an episode or two back in art school, and the animation was truly exceptional for a television production. Of course, I don't know if the show maintained that level of quality.

It's really a shame that more shows don't aim for quality animation.

The thing I liked about the Tcats (apart from the cool theme song) was the characters looked scary. Especially the mummy and the mutant henchmen. And panthro had cool weapon: nunchuks. If they could maintain the quality of the opening animation I would have watched all of this. Each member of the group if I recall were sort of RPG-ish in that they had a unique quality. The little kids was supposed to be mischievous and cunning, the blind guy was suposed to be able to sense things the others couldn't, (he could pilot a ship similar to luke using the force to guide him in star wars) that girl (a female cheetah) who runs fast has great speed, and nobody can catch her etc..and snarf was like a useless jar jar binks-like character put in for humor. Sort of like Battlecat when he is not wearing armor, or Orko who keeps causing trouble from the He-Man cartoon.

I think I remember there was an episode where Lion-O had to beat all of his friends to prove his worth as leader. If you were to compare He-man to Thunder Cats I think Thundercats was the better toon. I thought there were some action scenes that were quite cool including one that is very similar to the scene in ghost in the shell where Kusanagi somersaults and flips back into the background for cover when fighting the tank in the Gits movie. Lion-O does something similar (they are agile cat-people) move in the cartoon in order to avoid an attack. I think it may have been one where he fights a clone of himself or something - I use to tape this.

I think if skeletor from he-man had to fight mummra in a fight to see whose magic is stronger, that mumra guy would win.

I also remember like when gotham city needs help from batman, whenever lion-o was in trouble he could project the Tcats symbol in the sky and everyone would know where he was. Ahh. nostalgia..

I think Star Blazers (US censored version of space battleship yamato) has more lasting impact on me though. The Protoculture must have stolen the wave motion Gun idea from the Argo/yamato - seems similar to the SDF1 main gun. :D I often wonder what if it was the Yamato that was grafted onto the SDF-1 as one of its arms in attack mode? You could fire the main gun, followed by the wave motion gun for a 2 hit combo!

As for bravestar:

BraveStarr.jpg

The horse was cool!

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Maybe this picture will remind you just how totally retarted this show is:

cosmo5.jpg

319883[/snapback]

ok.. what about that says that it's lame? Its a well drawn vid cap. The animation wasn't ass on TC, even though it's not the quality of the opening sequence. The great thing about the Thundercats was they actually fought with their weapons unlike He-Man, who used his sword as a gun. :rolleyes: There was story progression and each character was cool in their own way. I can't believe you guys are gonna complain about this show as adults when it never treated kids like idiots. I'm sure it wouldn't hold up to my standards now, but I'm sure it's a lot better than Transformers and GI Joe. I hold those cartoons in high regards as far as memory, but I would consider rewatching Thundercats over them any day.

The great thing about the Thundercats was they actually fought with their weapons unlike He-Man, who used his sword as a gun.  :rolleyes: 

Last time I saw Thundercats, Lion-o was swinging his sword and shooting lasers...

The great thing about the Thundercats was they actually fought with their weapons unlike He-Man, who used his sword as a gun.  :rolleyes: 

Last time I saw Thundercats, Lion-o was swinging his sword and shooting lasers...

319921[/snapback]

I still remember him fighting with the sword as a sword though. Though I wish Tygra whipped the poo out of people with his bolo...

this coming from some one who quotes arnold..... :lol:

319943[/snapback]

Thats 'Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger' to you. I suppose since you are picking on Arnold, you have accomplished more with your life. I mean more than looking at your avatar I would guess you are some sort of Goth Queen. Good for you, the world still needs SOMEONE to work at Blockbuster.

So what does it take to be in your homo club? Does someone need assless chaps with that white face paint?

HAHAHAHAAAAA!!! - I am SO fukin awesome!

I think all of Macross World is feeling the pain and suffering from your pain of being a worhtless sissy, needing to pick on icons and all... I think your best bet to keep from a life only worth snuffing out yourself is to stop being a girlie man and go to the gym.

You don't have to bother with some loser reply, you can just hear me now and remember me later.

319943[/snapback]

Thats 'Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger' to you. I suppose since you are picking on Arnold, you have accomplished more with your life.

I've accomplished nothing with my life whatsoever.

That doesn't mean I won't make fun of those I feel are make-fun-of-able, the Governator included.

The thing I didn't like at first about TC was that it felt like they where in a small town, not a planet. Only one group of bad guys and some supporting characters over and over.

When they added the three new guys and the Moonatars (or something) things picked up. The new group of bad guys was a let down though; they started as super awsome breaking Lion-o's sword on there first meeting but then they where just ordinary.

The last thing I remember was their homeplanet reconstructing itself. The TC, a handfull of cats supreme rulers of two planets :D

Well, you can't denny that the show evolved.

*Agent ONE pwns some guy*

319958[/snapback]

Wow...that had to sting. :lol:

But back on Thundercats, while its safe to say that most of the shows we watched back then (GI Joe, He Man, etc) were pretty weak in hindsight, IMO Thundercats was always one of the weakest of the pantheon.

319943[/snapback]

Thats 'Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger' to you. I suppose since you are picking on Arnold, you have accomplished more with your life. I mean more than looking at your avatar I would guess you are some sort of Goth Queen. Good for you, the world still needs SOMEONE to work at Blockbuster.

319958[/snapback]

You're right, I seriously doubt Sabretooth has done anything as impressive as staring in Junior AND Jingle All the Way.

Yeah I got it but it seems that the Episode order on the DVD's doest jive with what Im seeing online... I never got to watch TV on School days as a Kid and I was in the Army and in High School to catch the "peats"on Toon network so Im glad I got this series the only thing Bad is Seeing Will Whaeton Singing the Thunder Cats theme boy has he aged Badly.....

You're right, I seriously doubt Sabretooth has done anything as impressive as staring in Junior AND Jingle All the Way.

320104[/snapback]

Don't forget Twins! :ph34r:

Anyway... back to Thundercats.

Seeing as I never really watched the show when it was on TV I might have to get the DVDs and finally get around to watching it. I pride myself on having seen most of the modern day "80's cult shows" but I'm still in the dark on Thundercats.