Macross II versus Macross 7

bsu legato

Which do you hate the most?  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you hate the most?

• Macross 7 - Basara and clown-faced valks with boobs
    • Macross II - no Kawamori = not Macross
    • Neither - I'm a consumer whore and will buy anything Macross

Mazinger Z made it to the US as Tranzor Z.

Historically notable as the first super robot with a cockpit(as opposed to the remote-controlled predecessors).

The show also had a female support mech.

With breasts. That it could shoot out as missiles. I'm dead serious here.

The show also had a female support mech.

With breasts. That it could shoot out as missiles. I'm dead serious here.

Yeeeeah!!!

• 1 month later...

My comments are based on having seen the opening to M2 and half of the "Galaxy is Calling Me" M7, so maybe I'm missing the Shakesperean masterpieces that followed the opening and the oscar-shoe-in ending of the M7 movie, but here goes:....

M2: The music is crappy, the robot looks like an unnecessarily beefed up Valk and I can't seem to find any of the original cast nor any themes that are similar beyond the shadowy SDF1... so...what's this about? I'm not judging it as bad since all I have to go by is the opening... but it doesn't look thrilling either - largely because I really liked Minmey's stand out songs and this just has some ra ra ra music.

M7: Mmmm....they ride around their valks wearing 80s rocker outfits and steer the jet by playing musical instruments? No thanks.

I guess the only stuff I've enjoyed so far has been SDF1 TV and Macross Plus. Even DYRL I didn't like that much.

VFTF1

I don't hate either. Some things about Macross 7 were grating, mainly Basara. The mecha designs for Sound Force, and the designs for the Protodeviln were a bit silly for my taste. There were also few times I had trouble convincing myself to keep watching the first time through. Especially the first several episodes before the story really gets going.

But, I enjoyed the story quite a bit. Especially the additions to the Protoculture. Fire Bomber has some pretty good music, too. I still listen several songs from the show and the OVAs pretty often. The mecha designs were pretty awesome, too.

Macross II is blah. Not really grating, but then not too memorable either way. The dub makes a nice sleep aid.

My comments are based on having seen the opening to M2 and half of the "Galaxy is Calling Me" M7, so maybe I'm missing the Shakesperean masterpieces that followed the opening and the oscar-shoe-in ending of the M7 movie, but here goes:....

M2: The music is crappy, the robot looks like an unnecessarily beefed up Valk and I can't seem to find any of the original cast nor any themes that are similar beyond the shadowy SDF1... so...what's this about? I'm not judging it as bad since all I have to go by is the opening... but it doesn't look thrilling either - largely because I really liked Minmey's stand out songs and this just has some ra ra ra music.

M7: Mmmm....they ride around their valks wearing 80s rocker outfits and steer the jet by playing musical instruments? No thanks.

I guess the only stuff I've enjoyed so far has been SDF1 TV and Macross Plus. Even DYRL I didn't like that much.

VFTF1

Considering how little of either you've seen I wonder exactly how you could compare them to Shakespear or a Oscar worthy movie?

Have you finished either a Shakespear play or Oscar winning movie?? :rolleyes:

Stating you havent' seen something and then prceeding to slam it based on your lack of viewing of it just reduces your opinions and comments to that of dismissive commentary by someone who cannot debate the production as a whole.

Around here, you will find that nearly everyone here will be able to wipe the floor with your opinions, based on your lack of knowlege of the shows' content alone.

Sorry bud, but if you want to argue your position and be taken moderately seriously you have to endure the shows you don't care for just like the rest of us... :p

Edited by Zinjo

Maybe I've been misunderstood --

I meant to say that SINCE I have seen so little of both, then I admit it's possible that they are wonderful - and that the wonderful stuff is yet to come (aka that the "shakesperian/oscar-winning/insert euphamism for great" stuff is out there but I just didn't bother watching it)...

I agree that you can't judge a production without seeing all of it - I guess I was just giving a first impression which, particularly in the case of M7, was not that good.

I'll eventually watch it all, I'm sure. But I think engaging in conversation is useful, since I can hear other people's views on why the like it as arguments against my impressions - and that might get me to be more enthusiastic about seeing the rest of it.

VFTF1

You will find around here that some will take issue with comments made for/against their favorite show particularly if you haven't taken the time to see it all.

Although that's not totally reasonable. You don't have to eat an entire turd to know it tastes like sh!t.

I for one hate neither M2 or M7, but I prefer M7.

• 1 year later...

I gotta say that while I don't mind all of the goofy stuff Macross 7 has pulled off, I think it just fails in the way it was executed. Had it not have a main character I wanted to punch in the face multiple times and story that practically sits flat on its butt till near the end, I would have liked it more. I still think the show could have balanced all the crazy elements along with the more traditional elements of Macross. G Gundam, while being the "oddball" of the Gundam series, proved you can be goofy as hell and still be an awesome and entertaining show. I also have a hard time accepting it as an official sequel to Macross. Thankfully, Frontier will wash out the bad taste of 7.

I still wonder how much better Macross 7 would have been had Yasuhiro Imagawa directed it.

I liked Macross II, while it wasn't fantastic, its still a bit more traditional even though its non canon.

Feb 22, 2007 VFTF1 wrote:

Who IS this VFTF1 twerp!? They ought to BAN him! He clearly has no taste, no eye for masterpieces, no capacity for the brilliance that is Macross 7!

VFTF1

Neither is my favorite, but I like 'em both! Mac II looks awesome but the story is meh. I had heard/read other people's comments and seen pics of Mac 7 and wasn't exactly impressed, so I watched everything else first - kinda like saving the worst for last. So when the time came for Mac 7, I went in expecting bad, baaaaad things. :ph34r: Know what though? It's not that bad at all, yes it's quite silly at times but if you accept that, the story gets better as you keep watching. It's definitely good for some laughs. As for the music, if you've ever sat through Minmay's singing in Ripofftech, this is a cakewalk! Give it a shot folks. B))

cheers

Neither is my favorite, but I like 'em both! Mac II looks awesome but the story is meh. I had heard/read other people's comments and seen pics of Mac 7 and wasn't exactly impressed, so I watched everything else first - kinda like saving the worst for last. So when the time came for Mac 7, I went in expecting bad, baaaaad things. :ph34r: Know what though? It's not that bad at all, yes it's quite silly at times but if you accept that, the story gets better as you keep watching. It's definitely good for some laughs. As for the music, if you've ever sat through Minmay's singing in Ripofftech, this is a cakewalk! Give it a shot folks. B))

cheers

Ripofftech lol. Noted.

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry to beat a dead horse, but I would like throw my opinion out there. So bear with me please. I'm going to have to vote for Macross 7. I'm not voting for 7 because of my love for II, but because I cannot get past something in 7. That something would be Fire Bomber flying their valkyries and holding a 'concert' in the heat of (numerous) battle(s). Sure, II uses a lot of the same plot devices found in DYRL? (all the while having a completely DIFFERENT story)...but it isn't as absurd as Fire Bomber in valkyries. I'm sure if it weren't for Fire Bomber, in valkyries, I would be able to get past the first 15 episodes.

Seconded.

Can't a guy throw his opinion out there? :( There are 446 'opinionated' posts in this thread...what's one more? Moreover, no one is forcing anyone to read this thread so....

Edited by Oihan

Can't a guy throw his opinion out there? :( There are 446 'opinionated' posts in this thread...what's one more? Moreover, no one is forcing anyone to read this thread so....

Of course you can! That's what this place is for, of course. ^_^

But, pretty much, it all comes down to two points:

1) Macross II is a thinly veiled rehash of DYRL with substandard characters and boring plot. But man, that VF-2 looks great!

2) Macross 7...Valks with faces, too much Fire Bomber, space monsters, goofiness..BLEH!

Submitted for your approval...we try to come up with NEW reasons for disliking each series, something which Macrossworld has never seen before.

Examples:

For Macross II:

a) Macross II was way too long.

b) Wendy Ryder was such an interesting character, yet they barely used her.

c) Why didn't the destroy the Macross's bridge? I want to see the WHOLE THING go up in flames!

d) The BGM sounds too much like Evangelion. (True, BTW... :lol: )

e) WTF??? Flying, transforming robots? Music? A F^%$IN' LOVE TRIANGLE??? This isn't what I watch Macross for!

For Macross 7:

a) An episode without Planet Dance is an episode wasted.

b) Basara is tough, rugged, and manly to the point that the whole story becomes unbelievable.

c) TOO MUCH MAX AND MILLIA! Instead of having so much about them, the series should've had more scenes of Michael's comedic bumbling.

d) The Protodeviln are too scary. I have to hide behind the sofa during their scenes!

e) A gaint robot show told from the persepctive of a rock band? *yawn* That's a TOTAL rip-off of Gundam 0083!

Just because we are opinionated doesn't mean we have to be boring about it! C'mon! Strut yer stuff!

Edited by Gubaba

Of course you can! That's what this place is for, of course. ^_^

But, pretty much, it all comes down to two points:

1) Macross II is a thinly veiled rehash of DYRL with substandard characters and boring plot. But man, that VF-2 looks great!

2) Macross 7...Valks with faces, too much Fire Bomber, space monsters, goofiness..BLEH!

Submitted for your approval...we try to come up with NEW reasons for disliking each series, something which Macrossworld has never seen before.

Examples:

For Macross II:

a) Macross II was way too long.

b) Wendy Ryder was such an interesting character, yet they barely used her.

c) Why didn't the destroy the Macross's bridge? I want to see the WHOLE THING go up in flames!

d) The BGM sounds too much like Evangelion. (True, BTW... :lol: )

e) WTF??? Flying, transforming robots? Music? A F^%$IN' LOVE TRIANGLE??? This isn't what I watch Macross for!

For Macross 7:

a) An episode without Planet Dance is an episode wasted.

b) Basara is tough, rugged, and manly to the point that the whole story becomes unbelievable.

c) TOO MUCH MAX AND MILLIA! Instead of having so much about them, the series should've had more scenes of Michael's comedic bumbling.

d) The Protodeviln are too scary. I have to hide behind the sofa during their scenes!

e) A gaint robot show told from the persepctive of a rock band? *yawn* That's a TOTAL rip-off of Gundam 0083!

Just because we are opinionated doesn't mean we have to be boring about it! C'mon! Strut yer stuff!

Haha, nicely put. As for the music in Macross II sounding too much like Evangelion.... I guess it doesn't help that Shiro Sagisu composed music for both animes. :p Man I love his work though! He must be a beautiful person inside to be able to create the music that he does. "Going Home" from Bleach, "Expansion of Blockade" from Evangelion, "Scene #3" from Casshern the live action movie, "Futari" and "Kizuna" from Macross II. I could go on and on but I digress. Thanks for the humor. ^_^:D

Haha, nicely put. As for the music in Macross II sounding too much like Evangelion.... I guess it doesn't help that Shiro Sagisu composed music for both animes. :p Man I love his work though! He must be a beautiful person inside to be able to create the music that he does. "Going Home" from Bleach, "Expansion of Blockade" from Evangelion, "Scene #3" from Casshern the live action movie, "Futari" and "Kizuna" from Macross II. I could go on and on but I digress.

Yeah...I admit that I'm not a big Macross II fan, but I love the music! (The character designs are pretty great, too...although I think Ishtar looked better with long hair.)

I can say that beyond a shodow of a doubt that I dislike Macross 7 more than Macross 2. The reason I believe, that many feel the same way has to do with expectations; We expected something and we were disapointed with what we recieved.

In the beginning we had Macross. Then we moved on to DYRL, and onto Flashback 2012. (I don't know about anybody else

but I watched 2012 for months!! I loved it!) Then that was it. Macross was over! Until the rumors of a Macross 2 began to

stir. I had expectations about Macross 2. When the 6 part OAV was released, I was disapointed! Why? Because it was not what I expected!! I had created in my mind what Macross 2 should have been, and when it turn out to be nothing like I

THOUGHT it should have, then I hated Macross 2. Perhaps hate is too strong a word, because I believe Macross 2 does have some good points, let's just say I did not like it and I believe there were many who (at the time) did not either.

As the years past, the announcement of Macross Plus was on the way, and this time Mr. Shoji Kawamori was to take part in this 4 part OAV. I thought well surely, He'll make up for Macross 2 being so bad! Once again, my mind (and I'm sure in the minds of fans) had created what Macross Plus "should" have been like. When it finally arrived, it wasn't what I expected.

However, given the fact that I enjoyed it, I was willing to accept it as a "side story" in the Macross universe.

Then hot on the heels of Macross Plus came Macross 7. My expectations were even higher this time because of Macross Plus, because charcters from the original Macross were in it, and Haruhiko Mikimoto was going to do the character designs. Now remember that Macross, DYRL, and 2012 had both Kawamori and Mikimoto. Macross 2 only had Mikimoto, and Macross Plus only had Kawamori. Macross 7 was to reunite both, and I was expecting something great like another Macross!

Unfortunately, Macross 7 was NOT was I expected. It did not live up to my expectations at all, and I own all 49 episodes of

Macross 7, the 30 minute Macross 7 movie (God what a joke!), the Macross 7 Encore episodes, and all 4 episodes of Macross Dynamite7. So I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that I thoughly DO NOT LIKE MACROSS 7!! Now I know if anyone Has read this you must ask: "IF you did not like Macross 7, why do you have all the episodes?" Simple, BECAUSE I WANTED TO LIKE MACROSS 7!! This was the first official sequel to my favorite anime, and I went hogwild! I purchased the

CD's, books, models, toys, calenders, tapes...everything. It was like a giant hole that kept going deeper and deeper with no bottom in sight! I KEPT EXPECTING THE SHOW TO GET BETTER, AND IT DIDN'T!!

I AM SORRY, BUT A STORY ABOUT THE WAR BETWEEN HUMANS AND PROTODEVILINS TOLD FROM THE VIEWPOINT OF

FIREBOMBER IS LIKE TELLING ABOUT THE CLONE WARS FROM THE VIEW POINT OF THE MOS EISLEY CANTINA BAND!

I realize that Mr. Kawamori wanted to every Macross story different from the others, and with Macross 7 I think he succeded. Macross 7 is very different from the original Macross and I don't think that was a "good" thing. ^_^

Bull, Macross 7 very in tone with the original series. Frontier despite having more references to the original series, shares even more yet still in common with 7. Get over your music stigma's, 7 is about a band, deal with it.