Newbie Questions on Macross

It's probably been asked before but I can't seem to find the answer...

1. Does Exsedol have a body?

2. If not, what happened to it?

3. Why does he have tentacles?

Been watching some Macross 7 lately and just got me curious. :)

Exedol most certainly has a body; the problem is he's a full sized Zentradi and he's simply too big to see anything more than his head on the Battle 7 bridge. His "tentacles" are mostly likely just OverTechnology, robotic assist arms that are used to manipulate objects. You'll see Exedol in full later in the series.

Exedol most certainly has a body; the problem is he's a full sized Zentradi and he's simply too big to see anything more than his head on the Battle 7 bridge. His "tentacles" are mostly likely just OverTechnology, robotic assist arms that are used to manipulate objects. You'll see Exedol in full later in the series.

He certainly has a body, but I'm not sure that he has functional arms...

HI guys!

I just have one question, No one, or at least I don't find any post about these, but why the original Macross emblem doesn't appear any where? I know their squadron is not part of the militia, but even the militia Valk's use a different symbol. Did any one know why?

Thanks

Edited by joscasle

it hasn't been explained yet, all we know in the Macross universe, that the militia is now called New U.N. Spacy (NUNS) and carries different insignia, speculating that the U.N. Spacy has divided somehow after the events on VFX-2 that are considered cannon

althought, in real life, we're assuming is that perhaps Big West is planning to market Frontier to the U.S. and by removing the old U.N. Spacy insignia they can bypass the Harmony Gold Robotech legal battle

the most famous instance of Gundpod catching is Roy in Macross Zero - I need not elaborate, I hope.

VFTF1

Funniest line in Macross ever "You guys are going to get killed if you insist on following the rules", or whatever, and within ten seconds they are blown up.

Taksraven

Funniest line in Macross ever "You guys are going to get killed if you insist on following the rules", or whatever, and within ten seconds they are blown up.

Taksraven

When Focker talks, people listen.

(Or they should, at least.)

speculating that the U.N. Spacy has divided somehow after the events on VFX-2

Just to be clear - is this the AI Ghost Figther from Macross Plus?

The suggestion is that the UN Spacy on Earth STILL insisted on replacing live pilots with Ghost fighters while colony vessels of various stipes developed their own piloted/manned fighters?

That would be interesting if true :)

VFTF1

emmm...nope, what happened with the X-9 Ghost on Macross Plus is called the Sharon Apple incident...

the events of VFX-2 is something about a group of rebels that take hold of a U.N. Spacy fleet and lead some sort of civil war, I don't know the details, I never played the games

Thanks for the clear-up. I was getting some really bad hentai-vibes with those weird tentacles there! :lol:

Here's another one: What happened in the Macross games? Haven't bought a console since the old Sega Genesis/Megadrive days so I haven't been able to get any of the stories from there. Was there some kind of coup in the UN Spacy or something that changed the whole political landscape? :huh:

Thanks for the clear-up. I was getting some really bad hentai-vibes with those weird tentacles there! :lol:

Here's another one: What happened in the Macross games? Haven't bought a console since the old Sega Genesis/Megadrive days so I haven't been able to get any of the stories from there. Was there some kind of coup in the UN Spacy or something that changed the whole political landscape? :huh:

LOL :) Rest assured Exedol doesn't tentacle rape anyone :)

The Macross games are a tough one that I can't answer. I've never had the pleasure of playing a Macross game, so I'm unfortunately ill equipped to describe the stories. Hopefully other members can help out.

I played VF-X2, but without knowing Japanese, my explanation is not foolproof. What I got form it was you were a pilot in U.N. Spacey and your new squadron is trying to fight off a terrorist organization, but in the midst of this a rebel group that seceded from UNS is getting the terrorists help to overthrow UN Spacey because they believe they have been corrupted or something like that. The game lets you take two different paths at one point, which I've done both, one where your old mentor turns out be in the rebellion and you decide to stick with UN Spacey and fight him, which in the end it turns out the rebel group was right and you killed the only chance of stopping the corrupt UNS. The offical ending is you joining you mentors and together you work to stop the corrupted UNS people who have taken control of Macross 13, your mentor dies and you help destroy Battle 13 and that seems to be it there I believe.

Also, question of my own, don't know how newbie it is because I tend to research this stuff for myself, but I'll just ask, what exactly are the differences from the prototype YF-19 and the VF-19 besides that the latter is the mass produced version, is the final product better than the original. My reason for asking is it seems everyone here talks about the YF-19 but never about the VF-19, so I wonder if it isn't because the YF-19 is better than the VF-19.

Also, question of my own, don't know how newbie it is because I tend to research this stuff for myself, but I'll just ask, what exactly are the differences from the prototype YF-19 and the VF-19 besides that the latter is the mass produced version, is the final product better than the original. My reason for asking is it seems everyone here talks about the YF-19 but never about the VF-19, so I wonder if it isn't because the YF-19 is better than the VF-19.

There are several cosmetic differences between the YF-19 and the VF-19. The most obvious change (aside from the color) would be the much smaller and redesigned main wings on the VF-19 Excalibur. The best thing to do is just look at the two designs closely and compare. I have the YF-19 "Alpha One" profile on my website as well as the VF-19F Excalibur profiled.

Regarding fan preference, most fans have many an issue with Macross 7, some haven't even seen it, many fans don't like the changes made for the VF-19F/VF-19S and perhaps most important of all, the VF-19 is simply never given much chance to shine. In contrast, Macross Plus featured the YF-19 front and center, so typically the prototype receives all the fan attention. Plus, the first production model VF-19A Excalibur is identical to the YF-19 save color, so many fans just equate the YF-19 as the main production line version anyway.

EDIT

I made up a quick 3-fighter comparison picture to help you

In order is the YF-19/VF-19A at the top

the VF-19 Custom in the middle

the VF-19F at the bottom:

http://www.new-un-spacy.com/miscellaneous/...f19-fighter.gif

Edited by Mr March

The Macross games are a tough one that I can't answer. I've never had the pleasure of playing a Macross game, so I'm unfortunately ill equipped to describe the stories. Hopefully other members can help out.
I'm not sure "pleasure" is the right word. I've played VFX2, and it's not what I would call a great game.

There are several cosmetic differences between the YF-19 and the VF-19. The most obvious change (aside from the color) would be the much smaller and redesigned main wings on the VF-19 Excalibur. The best thing to do is just look at the two designs closely and compare. I have the YF-19 "Alpha One" profile on my website as well as the VF-19F Excalibur profiled.

There's also significant differences between versions of VF-19(even ignoring Basara's custom 19).

Regarding fan preference, most fans have many an issue with Macross 7, some haven't even seen it, many fans don't like the changes made for the VF-19F/VF-19S and perhaps most important of all, the VF-19 is simply never given much chance to shine. In contrast, Macross Plus featured the YF-19 front and center, so typically the prototype receives all the fan attention. Plus, the first production model VF-19A Excalibur is identical to the YF-19 save color, so many fans just equate the YF-19 as the main production line version anyway.

EDIT

I made up a quick 3-fighter comparison picture to help you

In order is the YF-19/VF-19A at the top

the VF-19 Custom in the middle

the VF-19F at the bottom:

http://www.new-un-spacy.com/miscellaneous/...f19-fighter.gif

That is really helpful Mr March, I didn't really know how much of the VF-19 was shown in Macross 7 as I've really only seen half of the first episode and that's it. I've actually been to your site before and I think it is a really nice site with just the right kind of information I tend to look for, all mecha info ^_^ .

As for Macross 7, I in fact have pretty much not seen any of Macross 7. I saw half of the first episode (didn't get to finish it due to the way I was seeing it online), but other than that I haven't seen the show, the OVA's or the movies related. Other than that though I can say I've seen most of all the other Macross stuff, the original series of course (although if you want to get technical I saw the Robotech version of SDF Macross first, I'm one of the ones that started with Robotech, kill me later), Macross II(which wasn't as good, as most people seem to agree), Macross Plus, Zero, and I've been keeping up with Frontier. Actually I've never found the time to actually watch DYRL, but mostly due to not getting around to it.

Anyway that's just my little short story there, thanks for the help on the technical differences and such. I would also assume the YF-21 and VF-22 have some cosmetic differences, although I can't see any. The only differences between the YF-21 and the VF-22 as far as I know is the elimination of the Brain Direct Imaging system from the final version.

Anyway that's just my little short story there, thanks for the help on the technical differences and such. I would also assume the YF-21 and VF-22 have some cosmetic differences, although I can't see any. The only differences between the YF-21 and the VF-22 as far as I know is the elimination of the Brain Direct Imaging system from the final version.

It's more than cosmetic.

YF-21

VF-22

YF-19 and the VF-19

The VF-19 does appear in many Macross 7 episodes and once it's introduced it makes multiple appearances all the way to the end of the show. The problem is none of the main characters use the VF-19F or the VF-19S (only Basara pilots the VF-19Custom). So needless to say the VF-19 kinda gets the shaft being relegated to a secondary set of characters and most of the sequences are all recycled footage. On the plus side, the VF-19 fares much better in Macross 7 than the poor VF-11C, the canon fodder de jure :)

There's no harm in being introduced to Macross via Robotech. Some of us were, myself included. But Robotech didn't make me a Macross fan. That honor belongs to Macross Plus. After that, along came the original SDF Macross, DYRL? and then all the rest :) I can't stress enough that you should watch DYRL?. I also think it's good if you give Macross 7 an honest attempt. You don't have to watch the whole thing, but if you give it a good 4-6 episodes, that's more than enough to give it a chance. And who knows, you might like it.

On the subject of the YF-21 and the VF-22 Sturmvogel II, I can help you there as well! I previously made up comparison pictures and they are already on my website (visit the For Fans Only section, under the heading "Line Art Comparison Pictures")

I'll look into finding a good copy of DYRL sometime this week probably (veoh hasn't failed me yet), escpecially now that semester is done and I'm on break somewhat.

As for 7, I will probably try to find some episodes again, like I said, it was a technical glitch that kept me from finishing episode 1. However I must admit from reading a large summery, I think from the compendium, that basically explained it in addition to what I've heard here, I'm not sure if it will strike me the way others have. I worry I won't be able to take it seriously with the guitar controlled valkyries and the whole music can restore your life force idea. However I can at least watch 5 or so episodes to try and get used to the idea. I must say though, I'm glad Frontier is making more sense than stuff like that, and I am really enjoying Frontier so far.

Truthfully Macross Plus was my induction into official Macross as well (actually I saw Macross II a little before, but I didn't watch less than half of it the first time, then I saw Plus and later II more fully). Also in fact, I haven't really seen the actual SDF Macross in it's original format, I've seen Robotech the Macross Saga, and I've read the main differences so I understand, so in essence I've seen it, but not in actuality.

I'll look into finding a good copy of DYRL sometime this week probably (veoh hasn't failed me yet), escpecially now that semester is done and I'm on break somewhat.

As for 7, I will probably try to find some episodes again, like I said, it was a technical glitch that kept me from finishing episode 1. However I must admit from reading a large summery, I think from the compendium, that basically explained it in addition to what I've heard here, I'm not sure if it will strike me the way others have. I worry I won't be able to take it seriously with the guitar controlled valkyries and the whole music can restore your life force idea. However I can at least watch 5 or so episodes to try and get used to the idea. I must say though, I'm glad Frontier is making more sense than stuff like that, and I am really enjoying Frontier so far.

Truthfully Macross Plus was my induction into official Macross as well (actually I saw Macross II a little before, but I didn't watch less than half of it the first time, then I saw Plus and later II more fully). Also in fact, I haven't really seen the actual SDF Macross in it's original format, I've seen Robotech the Macross Saga, and I've read the main differences so I understand, so in essence I've seen it, but not in actuality.

You can download good copies of almost every Macross series here...just check the iMacross thread.

As for macross 7...I'd watch more than five episodes. The consensus for all but the most die-hard M7 fans (and you know who you are) is that the show gets off to a slow start. I started really getting into it around episode 13, but others' experience varies.

But warned, though...M7 is NOT primarily a mecha show. It's a show about a rock band, which happens to feature mecha. If you keep that in mind, you will probably enjoy it a lot more.

Then the first order of business is for you to watch SDF Macross Master Dex. That's a must. And trust me, you'll gain a whole new appreciation for Macross once you watch the original. It's a tighter story, better pacing, coherent editing, a pile of missing scenes and simply all around superior. In some ways those Macross fans who've never seen the original are lucky because watching SDF Macross allows you to fall in love with Macross all over again.

As for Macross 7, well, I'm just suggesting you give it an honest try. You can never know for sure until you try. I watched the first dozen episodes years ago and hated it, then watched the whole thing last year and hated it even more. So I'm really the last person you should be talking to if you're debating whether or not to watch it :)

But digressing, if you're on Veoh, watch SDF Macross. The sooner you get off Robotech, the better :)

Another question from me (again): What is the difference between VF-11B and VF-11C? I don't see any difference from their artwork.

And a little out of topic, but I see in the Macrosshare.blogspot.com that most of the episode are seperated into parts. How do I suppose to combine those parts?

Edited by Sulendil Ang

Hmmm, I think the "For Fans Only" section of my website is going to need a bit more of a presentation in my next update. Fans really need to take a look inside more often to find the goodies that can answer their questions :)

VF-11B and VF-11C comparison

http://www.new-un-spacy.com/forfansonly/co...attroid-red.gif

Hope that helps.

Then the first order of business is for you to watch SDF Macross Master Dex. That's a must. And trust me, you'll gain a whole new appreciation for Macross once you watch the original. It's a tighter story, better pacing, coherent editing, a pile of missing scenes and simply all around superior. In some ways those Macross fans who've never seen the original are lucky because watching SDF Macross allows you to fall in love with Macross all over again.

But digressing, if you're on Veoh, watch SDF Macross. The sooner you get off Robotech, the better :)

In that case, would you say I'm better off watching the subbed version or the dub, because I know they dubbed the original Macross series now as a separate entity to Robotech, and in truth I have been considering just buying the DVD pack of the Macross dub for a while now (although even if I end up watching the dubbed version I'm probably just going to do it online now... my money situation isn't at it's best for me at this time).

As for macross 7...I'd watch more than five episodes. The consensus for all but the most die-hard M7 fans (and you know who you are) is that the show gets off to a slow start. I started really getting into it around episode 13, but others' experience varies.

But warned, though...M7 is NOT primarily a mecha show. It's a show about a rock band, which happens to feature mecha. If you keep that in mind, you will probably enjoy it a lot more.

Well then there's the thing isn't it, I first found out about Robotech some years ago because I saw cool mecha stuff (side note: it was destined I'd like Macross better, besides it actually being better, because I never had any interest in Robotech besides the Macross saga... mostly because of the VF-1 though). When I migrated to Macross is was partly to see even more mecha than Robotech could ever offer, but also because I'd get a good story. I'm liking Frontier so much now because it seems to be a story about the people living on the colony who are pulled into this unexpected conflict with the Vajra and as result we get mecha action. However I must admit even though I know music is big in Macross and in all I've seen I think it fits perfectly, a show where they decided to make the music aspect the main story instead of the story happening aside the main story, I don't know if it will appeal to me as much based on the kind of person I am.

Not to worry, I'm not letting Mr March there influence me, but I have a feeling the reasons he has for not liking M7 might be some of the same I would find, however in the end I still haven't even tried to watch it, so regardless of my final opinion I will at least try to watch some of it... the question is when I'll get around to it.

I you must watch the dub, then watch the ADV dub. It's an english dub made for the unedited SDF Macross series. But I'd suggest watching the subtitled version since I think the dub is terrible.

Well then there's the thing isn't it, I first found out about Robotech some years ago because I saw cool mecha stuff (side note: it was destined I'd like Macross better, besides it actually being better, because I never had any interest in Robotech besides the Macross saga... mostly because of the VF-1 though). When I migrated to Macross is was partly to see even more mecha than Robotech could ever offer, but also because I'd get a good story. I'm liking Frontier so much now because it seems to be a story about the people living on the colony who are pulled into this unexpected conflict with the Vajra and as result we get mecha action. However I must admit even though I know music is big in Macross and in all I've seen I think it fits perfectly, a show where they decided to make the music aspect the main story instead of the story happening aside the main story, I don't know if it will appeal to me as much based on the kind of person I am.

Not to worry, I'm not letting Mr March there influence me, but I have a feeling the reasons he has for not liking M7 might be some of the same I would find, however in the end I still haven't even tried to watch it, so regardless of my final opinion I will at least try to watch some of it... the question is when I'll get around to it.

Even if you hate it, it's not the end of the world...a lot of otherwise die-hard Macross fans dislike it intensely. It's pretty goofy, there are giant (but quite un-scary) space demons, it pushes sci-fi pseudo-science to ridiculous extremes, and Battle 7 has BIG HANDS!

But the series has fun with itself, you get to find out more about the Protoculture and the Supervision Army, and towards the end, there an all-out Valkyrie assault that's as good as anything in the first macross series (to me, that is...others may disagree).

And might I add that the VF-17 is a thing of beauty? As is the VF-22. And the Q-Raus in the bonus episode. And ALL the mecha in Dynamite 7.

Yum.