Newbie Questions on Macross

There are four missile launching ports on the YF-21, in total. My site (and the compendium) correctly describes where they are; the forward dorsal section just to the sides of the engine nacelles. They appear on the line art as four diamond shapes filled in black.

The ventral missiles seen in Macross Plus are the four additional FAST Pack missile ports mounted outboard in one pair per ventral body FAST Pack. They can be seen as a pair of black diamond shapes in this picture:

http://www.new-un-spacy.com/macrossplus/yf...ter-ventral.gif

Hope that helps.

Edited by Mr March

They could be, but I think it likely those front ports are not more missile launchers. With the FAST Packs equipped, that already doubles the number of missile launchers to a total of eight. It doesn't really need more than that. The two center ventral ports could be additional reverse thrusters, access panels, ammunition loading ports, additional naviagation lights, et cetera.

I've got a newbie question.

What's up with the trend for spelling Lanka's name with an R? Everybody on the show keeps pronouncing it with an L, and since 'Vajra' is an Indian reference, I thought her name was taken from Lanka/Sri Lanka.

Am I missing something, or does the whole Ranka thing just stem from an Engrishy romanization of the katakana for a Sanskrit word? But even if it doesn't, they still keep saying it Lanka, so what the Hell?

What's up with the trend for spelling Lanka's name with an R? Everybody on the show keeps pronouncing it with an L, and since 'Vajra' is an Indian reference, I thought her name was taken from Lanka/Sri Lanka.

Am I missing something, or does the whole Ranka thing just stem from an Engrishy romanization of the katakana for a Sanskrit word? But even if it doesn't, they still keep saying it Lanka, so what the Hell?

It is spelled, through out the show, as Ranka Lee.

Japanese 101: The language doesn't have distinct "R" or "L" sounds, but rather a sound that's both of them blended (with a bit of "D" thrown in as well). Thus, to a Japanese speaker, "Lanka" and "Ranka" sound the same. Sometimes, the creators or merchandizers come up with Romanizations, but these are all suspect, unless the name is a legitimate name (no one, for example, would argue that "Roy Focker" should be "Loy Focker," although you could certainly read his name that way).

Sometimes, a series will be lucky enough to get offcial, set-in-stone Romanizations (like Gundam), but until that happens to Frontier, we have to be a little generous and open-minded with spelling.

Sometimes, a series will be lucky enough to get official, set-in-stone Romanizations (like Gundam), but until that happens to Frontier, we have to be a little generous and open-minded with spelling.

Well I go by what is spelled out in the show, such as seen in this screen shot.

2525398268_140d988fbd.jpg

It is spelled, through out the show, as Ranka Lee.

Sure is.

But is there any reason to believe that isn't an amusingly confused romanization of Lanka Lee?

Japanese 101: The language doesn't have distinct "R" or "L" sounds

The English language doesn't have the crazy Japanese R/L/D consonant, but that doesn't really stop us dumb gaijin from being able to learn it. The Japanese language doesn't really stop a person from learning our crazy English R's and L's, either, it's just that it's historically been regarded with apathy in domestic Japan. But the seiyuu in MacF keep making a marked distinction between their R's and L's. Listen to the intro for Ep8, for example, where Mr. Announcer says PROTOCULCHAA. And then FOLDO. And then ZENTRADI. And then PROTOCULCHAA again.

If they said Arto, Ranka, Grass-Chuui, Macloss, etc... as often as they said Alto, Lanka, Glass-Chuui, and Macross, I could just chalk it up to typical apathy. But they don't. I can't recall the cast failing to make a distinction, even once. So when they've been saying Lanka for 8 episodes... And Lanka coincidentally happens to be a Sanskrit word from Indian mythology just like 'Vajra' is... And the only thing going for Ranka is a romanization from katakana...

Then I'll have to stick with her name being Lanka. Heh heh, guess my question's answered.

There is promotional material with the spelling of "Lanca" or "Lanka". But as Gubaba said, Japanese "R"'s do not have a distinct sound from "L"'s. For consistency's sake, we use "Ranka".

The English language doesn't have the crazy Japanese R/L/D consonant, but that doesn't really stop us dumb gaijin from being able to learn it. The Japanese language doesn't really stop a person from learning our crazy English R's and L's, either, it's just that it's historically been regarded with apathy in domestic Japan. But the seiyuu in MacF keep making a marked distinction between their R's and L's. Listen to the intro for Ep8, for example, where Mr. Announcer says PROTOCULCHAA. And then FOLDO. And then ZENTRADI. And then PROTOCULCHAA again.

If they said Arto, Ranka, Grass-Chuui, Macloss, etc... as often as they said Alto, Lanka, Glass-Chuui, and Macross, I could just chalk it up to typical apathy. But they don't. I can't recall the cast failing to make a distinction, even once. So when they've been saying Lanka for 8 episodes... And Lanka coincidentally happens to be a Sanskrit word from Indian mythology just like 'Vajra' is... And the only thing going for Ranka is a romanization from katakana...

I haven't noticed the pronunciation clarity, nor can I figure out why the cast would make the attempt. But if you say it's there, maybe it is, and I have lazy ears.

And I wouldn't call it apathy, really...especially since we're dealing with a lot of trippy, sci-fi names. Was Mark Hamill apathetic because he pronounced "Darth Vader" in an English manner, instead of taking into account what Japanese, Chinese, Greek, Russian, French, German, and Umharic speakers would be able to pronounce...?

At any rate, as you say, you've found your answer. Just please don't get cheesed off if others here call her Ranka. :)

I read about hayase on wikipedia an it says she later marries hikaru and they have a baby. i also saw a picture of her in a wedding dress next to hikaru but i cant find anymore sources.

where do you i get information about them gettin married and having a baby? or is it all fan made?

the picture is here http://macross.anime.net/story/chronology/2010/index.html

Edited by vince1234

I read about hayase on wikipedia an it says she later marries hikaru and they have a baby. i also saw a picture of her in a wedding dress next to hikaru but i cant find anymore sources.

where do you i get information about them gettin married and having a baby? or is it all fan made?

the picture is here http://macross.anime.net/story/chronology/2010/index.html

It's not fan-made. The Macross Compendium is approved by the creators of Macross as a canonical source, and Egan Loo (the creator of the Compendium) takes his responsibilities VERY seriously.

And their daughter's name, by the way, is Miku. Cute name, eh?

It's not fan-made. The Macross Compendium is approved by the creators of Macross as a canonical source, and Egan Loo (the creator of the Compendium) takes his responsibilities VERY seriously.

And their daughter's name, by the way, is Miku. Cute name, eh?

So its basically this guy who owns this website proposes an extension and the creators of Macross approved of it?

Yea its a cute name.

Even stuff like "Misa Hayase performs a piano recital. Her mother Sakiko enters a hospital due to illness and later passes away" is made by Egan Loo but it is just approved by the creators of Macross?

Edited by vince1234

So its basically this guy who owns this website proposes an extension and the creators of Macross approved of it?

Yea its a cute name

No, he gets all his info from official sources. He just trasnlates and organizes it. Miku Ichijo, for example, is listed in a number of Macross books.

No, he gets all his info from official sources. He just trasnlates and organizes it. Miku Ichijo, for example, is listed in a number of Macross books.

Can you tell me where I can find these Macross books or the sources he used? Btw what anime is your avatar from?

Can you tell me where I can find these Macross books or the sources he used?

Hoo-boy...are you sure you want to open that can of worms? A lot of the books are currently unavailable (and rare). All of them are in Japanese, with no English translation. But this very website has a "Books" section which has most of them.

Btw what anime is your avatar from?

A new show called Macross Frontier. Most people here seem to like it okay. ;)

Ok, at least two people have told me that

Basara is Sheryl's father in macross frontier.

Is this just BS? I can't find anything concrete so i'm assuming yes.

Yes it's bullshit at this stage and 99.9999999999% chance of it staying as bullshit.

Hoo-boy...are you sure you want to open that can of worms? A lot of the books are currently unavailable (and rare). All of them are in Japanese, with no English translation. But this very website has a "Books" section which has most of them.

A new show called Macross Frontier. Most people here seem to like it okay. ;)

hey with that tone you're using, vince 1234 might dismiss frontier as an unrelated namesake. :p

how about this: vince1234, if you liked macross.... WATCH Macross Frontier!!! Don't let another moment pass without watching Macross F! :)

it's the newest macross series (currently airing), and from the general consensus, it's the closest thing to the spirit of the original series (some would even say it's TOO close. hehe.). ;)

i have complete faith in the macross compendium. it's doctrine. thus, the bare-boned and fact-based style of the compendium. it doesn't really give an essay-type summary of the series which could be misinterpreted; it's just a compilation of established facts. but if you really want to get those source books (i myself don't have them), good luck! :)

Edited by dreamweaver13

Yes it's bullshit at this stage and 99.9999999999% chance of it staying as bullshit.

That WOULD have been one step too far. Although

considering the storyline of episode 10, her "possible" connection to Sara Nome may yet spawn a huge thread.

but again, I hope this is also BS.

hey with that tone you're using, vince 1234 might dismiss frontier as an unrelated namesake. :p

how about this: vince1234, if you liked macross.... WATCH Macross Frontier!!! Don't let another moment pass without watching Macross F! :)

it's the newest macross series (currently airing), and from the general consensus, it's the closest thing to the spirit of the original series (some would even say it's TOO close. hehe.). ;)

i have complete faith in the macross compendium. it's doctrine. thus, the bare-boned and fact-based style of the compendium. it doesn't really give an essay-type summary of the series which could be misinterpreted; it's just a compilation of established facts. but if you really want to get those source books (i myself don't have them), good luck! :)

Ahh i see so its very similar to the original Macross? I recently found out about Macross and im decided on watching it in the order it was released. Do you think i should do so? I just finished the 82 TV series, and the Flaskback ova. Im heading for macross 7. what do you think? Btw im watching it all in japanese wiht eng subs (Dubs are bad!)

Ok, at least two people have told me that

Basara is Sheryl's father in macross frontier.

Is this just BS? I can't find anything concrete so i'm assuming yes.

yup, i think pretty much BS. let's just add that to the crazy family tree created by VFTF1 here: http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?show...25892&st=60

in fact, whoever told you that must have been reading to much of that link. though if you add sheryl to the family tree, ranka and sheryl would be half-sisters on the father's side. haha. :p

Well, I recommend you to watch Macross Plus (available in OVA version and Movie version) if you haven't watch it. It's one of the best Macross show, if it wasn't the best. Also remember to see DYRL, the movie version (sort of) of the original series.

For Macross 7... While, some say it's ok, some hated it. Remember this, through, when you see Macross 7: it's basically a show about a J-pop singer who happens to ride a fancy valks. With that mentality, I sure you will enjoy Macross 7 more. :)

Ahh i see so its very similar to the original Macross? I recently found out about Macross and im decided on watching it in the order it was released. Do you think i should do so? I just finished the 82 TV series, and the Flaskback ova. Im heading for macross 7. what do you think? Btw im watching it all in japanese wiht eng subs (Dubs are bad!)

good luck with mac7, that's a long series (50eps). and as for whether it's worth watching first before macross plus, zero and frontier, well that's a whole other debate altogether. :p

personally, i'd skip to macross 7 for now and go directly to macross frontier so that you can keep up with what's been happening recently in macross, and you can join our discussions.

anyway, if you want to watch them all, here's gubaba's recommended watching order (in another thread):

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?s=&a...st&p=590028

Have fun! :)

Well, I recommend you to watch Macross Plus (available in OVA version and Movie version) if you haven't watch it. It's one of the best Macross show, if it wasn't the best. Also remember to see DYRL, the movie version (sort of) of the original series.

For Macross 7... While, some say it's ok, some hated it. Remember this, through, when you see Macross 7: it's basically a show about a J-pop singer who happens to ride a fancy valks. With that mentality, I sure you will enjoy Macross 7 more. :)

So if i watch Macross F, will i miss out on any important detail between DYRL through Macross F? I was planning to move to Macross 7 but i dunoo..

So if i watch Macross F, will i miss out on any important detail between DYRL through Macross F? I was planning to move to Macross 7 but i dunoo..

No, I think it's best to watch them in production order...i.e.

Super Dimension Fortress Macross (TV)

Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love?

Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Flashback 2012

Super Dimension Fortress Macross II (Actually, you can leave this one out, if you wish)

Macross Plus (OVA)

Macross 7

Macross 7/Macross Plus Movies

Macross 7 Encore

Macross Dynamite 7

Macross Zero

Macross Frontier

At least, that's the way I watch them when I do an all-out Macross-athon...

No, I think it's best to watch them in production order...i.e.

Super Dimension Fortress Macross (TV)

Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love?

Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Flashback 2012

Super Dimension Fortress Macross II (Actually, you can leave this one out, if you wish)

Macross Plus (OVA)

Macross 7

Macross 7/Macross Plus Movies

Macross 7 Encore

Macross Dynamite 7

Macross Zero

Macross Frontier

At least, that's the way I watch them when I do an all-out Macross-athon...

thanks gubaba

here's my newbie question:

What does V stand for in VF? Is it Valkyrie or Variable?

I always thought it was valkyrie, but i am now realizing that "valkyrie" is only a nickname given to the VF1, much like "excalibur" or "messiah".

so in essence, have I been wrong whenever i refer to all other VFs as a valkyrie or valk?

thanks!

Edited by dreamweaver13

here's my newbie question:

What does V stand for in VF? Is it Valkyrie or variable?

I always thought it was valkyrie, but i am now realizing that "valkyrie" is only a nickname given to the VF1, much like "excalibur" or "messiah".

so in essence, i have been wrong whenever i refer to all other VFs as a valkyrie or valk?

thanks!

Can it be V = Variable, F = Fighter?

The US planes are typically name F = fighter, A = attacker, B = bomber. Maybe the folks in Studio Nue picked that up! :rolleyes:

Refer to the entry of Macropedia in Macross Mecha Manual:

* Valkyrie

o The name for the first VF-1 variable fighter and adopted as a generic term to subsequently describe all the following variable fighters.

So yeah, it's still correct to call any variable fighter a Valkyrie, even if it's not VF-1. :)

EDIT: BTW, VF does stands for variable fighter, as shown in this entry at Macross Compendium.

For all newbies, I recommend both Macross Mecha Manual and Macross Compendium as the main web page to search when in doubt, as they offer a lot of information of the Macross franchise.

Edited by Sulendil Ang

To Vince1234

There's a pic of Misa in a wedding dress in the Graffiti book here http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/books/series_best.htm

It also shows Hikaru and Misa with a baby while on a day out with Max and Miria.

Can't remember what was written about them. i think it was in a recap of Misia's life from birth to black hole as it also had pictures of her from different ages.

Must dig it out and read it sometime.

Edited by Alex

Refer to the entry of Macropedia in Macross Mecha Manual:

So yeah, it's still correct to call any variable fighter a Valkyrie, even if it's not VF-1. :)

EDIT: BTW, VF does stands for variable fighter, as shown in this entry at Macross Compendium.

For all newbies, I recommend both Macross Mecha Manual and Macross Compendium as the main web page to search when in doubt, as they offer a lot of information of the Macross franchise.

thanks! at least now i know i haven't been a complete boob in calling everything a valkyrie. :D