Newbie Questions on Macross

The real origin isn't much better. As I understand things, it came from a broken VF-1 toy sample.

Kinda. The story is, Kawamori was working off a pre-production toy (very early in development). He wanted the make GERWALK mode a reality but couldn't figure out how to make it work. Kawamori already intended GERWALK to be implemented but had trouble thinking it through. When he picked up the toy, the legs just dropped down (as they do in GERWALK mode) and next thing you know, we have GERWALK mode. The legs dropped down due to the fact that the legs didn't have a locking mechanism.

I thought the story was he had a mech for another series that looked like that, and seeing a VF-1 with it's legs down made him want to put it in Macross.

Ah well. Either way.

Yes and no. Originally, the GERWALK had been part of a "dummy" concept to capitalize on the Gundam craze so that the first sponsor, Wiz, would fund Megaroad. When Kawamori saw the Takatoku prototype, it reminded him of the dummy idea, and he incorporated the design into Macross.

Did Max ever have an illegitamate son? One my old magazine articles say that he did, but I can't find his entry on the Macross Compendium anywhere.

Edited by kensei

Did Max ever have an illegitamate son? One my old magazine articles say that he did, but I can't find his entry on the Macross Compendium anywhere.

Was he secretly tagging bridge bunnies?

I never heard that before. Him and Millia had enough kids together.

The manga Macross 7 Trash is supposed to be about Max's illegitimate son, IIRC.

Yes, he have: Shiba Midou, from Macross 7 Trash.

trash-1.jpg

Yes, he have: Shiba Midou, from Macross 7 Trash.

I'm not so sure on that. I don't have a copy of the original Japanese manga, but in the French translation Max denies it.

pg153 "Je ne suis pas son père." - "I'm not his father."

pg154 "de plus... avoir un enfant d'une aventure extraconjugale... ce n'est pas du tout mon genre." -"Moreover, having a child from an adulterous affair isn't at all my style.

Now, I don't have the Japanese text, and it's possible the French translator may not have translated it correctly.

Max had an affair? :blink: Cheated on Millia? :blink:

Maybe a factor into their separation during M7?

Doesn't sound like Max though.

During the battle with Bodolza, when Hikaru had to block a volley of missiles to save his hide (resulting in having to jettison the rest of the FAST Packs and head back to Earth), was the ordinace in question enemy fire or friendly fire?

With Hikaru's luck, it'd suck if it was friendly fire vaping the Skull-One's arms. I can see Roy in the afterlife smacking his forehead after seeing his baby get busted up like that. :lol:

Max had an affair?  Cheated on Millia? 

The answer is....we just don't know.

During the battle with Bodolza, when Hikaru had to block a volley of missiles to save his hide (resulting in having to jettison the rest of the FAST Packs and head back to Earth), was the ordinace in question enemy fire or friendly fire?

With Hikaru's luck, it'd suck if it was friendly fire vaping the Skull-One's arms. I can see Roy in the afterlife smacking his forehead after seeing his baby get busted up like that.

It was probably enemy fire but Hikaru got in quite close to the mess so it may have been friendly. Either way, the missiles locked on to him.

I don't think Roy would have cared if the arms got blow off. Now if his bird was destroyed...then he would be smacking his head against a wall...but that's for another thread. :p

Well, whatever it was, we know that if Millia knew about it, she'd re-enact the knife fight...only this time probably finishing the job!

Well, whatever it was, we know that if Millia knew about it, she'd re-enact the knife fight...only this time probably finishing the job!

True, there would probably have been no Captain Max if she cought him cheating.

Yes, but would AnimeFriend have been responsible for drawing it?

I love that episode, I really do. But the animation burns my eyes.

Got a quick question here, regarding DYRL:

At the end of the movie, after the destruction of Bodolza, Vrlitai and Exedol make reference to the thousands of mobile fortresses still in existance around the galaxy. My question is, are all of these Bodolza and Lapramiz class fortresses, or are there other mobile fortress classes [meaning not controlled by clones of Bodolza / Lapramiz]? Or is there an answer to this at all?

At the end of the movie, after the destruction of Bodolza, Vrlitai and Exedol make reference to the thousands of mobile fortresses still in existance around the galaxy. My question is, are all of these Bodolza and Lapramiz class fortresses, or are there other mobile fortress classes [meaning not controlled by clones of Bodolza / Lapramiz]? Or is there an answer to this at all?

IIRC, they are referring to the Gol Boddole Zer-class fortresses. Whether or not they also include the Lapramiz-class fortresses as well...I don't recall.

http://www.anime.net/macross/feedback/index.html

ermmmm... first of all, hi....

i just finished watching the macross TV episodes, got some questions

1)when, and in which show does hikaru and misa get married? i see pictures of them together everywhere on the web, i heard its in 2012:flashback, is this correct? and is 2012 flashback=DYRL? that's what the guy at my anime store told me, and is hikaru younger than misa by 3 years? more or less?, after watching the TV show, i feel its a pity that hikaru likes minmay....cos i don't really like minmay in the TV series, seems she's more bearable in other shows...plus, misa is cute...

2)how can 70000 ppl squeeze into a ship 1.2 km long???????? it seems ridiculous, and how come , no matter how many valkeries(esp. the brown ones) get destroyed in space, the macross still can produce another whole batch of sacrifice for the enemy? and after so many deaths, they still can produce pilots???? and how do you get enough space to put all the food, all the supplies for the humans, and nian-nian(the chinese food store), shouldn't be able to cook after a few months, 'cos all that will be left is either frozen or packed rations, 'cos the re-supply from mars will be that, after being left abandoned for so many years...

3)i remember in some very old computer game called mechwarrior, there were robots similair to the macross ones, like the commander pod, and a few others, are the world related? and how are robotech and macross related? i keep seeing ppl calling macross robotech....

4)does this series ever end? i heard that it spans generations, all the way to macross zero...any new series coming out? i heard macross 7 was bad though...

5)what is the supervisor race? i keep seeing thme pop out in conversations, but i never see them at all....

ermmmm... first of all, hi....

i just finished watching the macross TV episodes, got some questions

1)when, and in which show does hikaru and misa get married? i see pictures of them together everywhere on the web, i heard its in 2012:flashback, is this correct? and is 2012 flashback=DYRL? that's what the guy at my anime store told me, and is hikaru younger than misa by 3 years? more or less?, after watching the TV show, i feel its a pity that hikaru likes minmay....cos i don't really like minmay in the TV series, seems she's more bearable in other shows...plus, misa is cute...

2)how can 70000 ppl squeeze into a ship 1.2 km long???????? it seems ridiculous, and how come , no matter how many valkeries(esp. the brown ones) get destroyed in space, the macross still can produce another whole batch of sacrifice for the enemy? and after so many deaths, they still can produce pilots???? and how do you get enough space to put all the food, all the supplies for the humans, and nian-nian(the chinese food store), shouldn't be able to cook after a few months, 'cos all that will be left is either frozen or packed rations, 'cos the re-supply from mars will be that, after being left abandoned for so many years...

3)i remember in some very old computer game called mechwarrior, there were robots similair to the macross ones, like the commander pod, and a few others, are the world related? and how are robotech and macross related? i keep seeing ppl calling macross robotech....

4)does this series ever end? i heard that it spans generations, all the way to macross zero...any new series coming out? i heard macross 7 was bad though...

5)what is the supervisor race? i keep seeing thme pop out in conversations, but i never see them at all....

1 - It is assumed that Hikaru and Misa got married somewhere between the end of the TV series, and the launch of the Megaroad 01.

Flashback 2012 is a 30+min music video that wraps up the 3 main characters, where as DYRL? is now considered a movie within the TV continuity (think a war drama movie). They are definatly NOT the same thing.

2 - Not sure about the population thing, but for food, I'm pretty sure they had food producing areas (ie. Hydroponics).

3 - Ahh, Battletech. See the Fasa case, and you'll see things you'd rather not know; and BT, RT, and Macross are NOT releated in ayny way.

4 - You'll have to ask Kawamori (aka. the Great floating head), since he's adding Mac0 to the list, there's no way to know when the franchise will actually end.

5 - I think you mean the "Supervisional Army". They were the (mostly unseen) enemy of the Zentradi, and the original owners of the Macross fortress.

okay...then what about the massive amount of valkaries that were destroyed?

is flashback 2012 included in DYRL? DVD?

so it is ASSUMED that they were married, so the actual wedding was not shown, right?

and what's the age gap btwn. hikaru and misa?

okay...then what about the massive amount of valkaries that were destroyed?

It's OK, they were paid for... :p

Seriously, they were probably slowly replaced over the following two-year gap between Love Drifts Away and My Album. Then they were later more quickly added on to after the capture of the factory satellite.

No, it's a standalone DVD.

so it is ASSUMED that they were married, so the actual wedding was not shown, right?

Right. The marriage was supposed to be shown in some form in the original ending for Yasashisa Sayonara, but the end was scrapped because of budget and pacing problems, IIRC. Some apochryphal Haruhiko Mikimoto drawings of the wedding have been published, but that's it for depictions of the event itself.

Two years. Hikaru is 17, and Misa is 19 at the beginning of the series.

Edited by Pat Payne

Parts of Flashback 2012 are shown in the end credits of DYRL.

According to the compendium's DYRL notes:

Hikaru Ichijo

Movie statistics:

Height: 178 cm

Identification Number: 3041590235

Assignment: SDF-1 Macross, Skull Team

Misa Hayase

Movie statistics:

The wedding wasn't shown.

Family Status: Married 2012 October 2012

Also found some additional info on the Compendium.

Apparently they were married on the same day as Minmay (and MY) birthday.

"Hikaru and Misa (née Hayase) Ichijyo marry. [Note: Several dates have been offered for the Ichijyo wedding, including 2012 October 10 (Macross Guidebook), 2011 October 10 (Macross Graffiti) and 2013 June (Macross Times)."

October 10th, 2012 (marriage of Hikaru and Misa)

October 10th, 1993 (birthdate of Lynn Minmay)

October 10th, 1978 (birthdate of UN Spacy.....me :p:D:lol: )

post-2-1078645721.gif

I'm sure this has been asked before but where in your opinion is the best place on the internet to order anime? Yamato, Gatchaman, etc...

Not exactly a newbie thread question as it doesn't relate to Macross.....

Everybody has their own spot to order from. You might want to ask in your own thread.

SDF Macross

edit: Macross Do You Remember Love

Macross Flashback 2012

Macross Plus

Macross 7

Macross Zero (historically takes place before SDF Macross, but it's the newest series).

alternate universe: Macross II (love it or hate it)

Robotech= terrible hackjob that shouldn't be watched now that SDF Macross is available in the US. If you do decide to watch it, start with the first season (The Macross Saga).

edit2: DOH! How could I forget, DYRL!? :blink: "A... man... and... a... wo-man? What's that? A... man... and... a wo-man! :lol:

Edited by Sumdumgai

Who's the girl in Macross M3? Is it Komillia? And why is her mecha weird lookin. (Saw the intro that's all)

Her name is Moaramia Jiffon (later Jenius), an adoptive daughter of Max and Millia. And her mecha is an Variable Glaug, but I don't know much, I never played M3.

Macross Compendium Mecha: Variable Glaug

Macross RPG - UN Spacy Data Terminal - Variable Glaug

Can VEFR-1 and the VE-1 carry any kind of armament (like Micro-Missiles)?

(I know they can't carry they own Gunpod but missiles..please guys, this question is making me sick! :p)

B)) Oh! Sorry, but I have a bad english.

Can VEFR-1 and the VE-1 carry any kind of armament (like Micro-Missiles)?

Just cuz you don't see them carry any doesn't mean they can't. But one must remember, the VEFR-1 and VE-1 are not gunships. Their role is recon and electronic warfare. If they are fired upon, they get the hell outta Dodge. Their purpose is not getting into a gun battle. In fact, they stay as far away as they can.