Newbie Questions on Macross

One problem. When a VF-21/22 looses its arms, it also looses it's ruddervators (or whatever they're called) that are attached to the arms. While a plane of tratitional design (ie a Spitfire) doesn't "need" a rudder to fly (but you will need one to get out of a flat spin), it must have it's horizontal stabilizers in order to keep the plane from spiralling out of control. Although, I think the VF-21/22 can probably fly without the stablizers on the arms due to the position of the wing on the body, I still think it's a heavy consiquence to loose the arms on a VF-21/22.

As for the gaping holes on Hikaru's VF. I think the designers planned for VFs to re-enter Earth's atmosphere minus the arms, so the surface directly above the arms (back plate and backpack) probably have some sort of cooling system built in them.

another question from me, what the difference between TV pilots and DYRL pilot sculpt? i always tot they look the same

Advanced? Maybe....

pilot2.jpg

Figure 1. Pilot from 1/48 VF-1A.

max-pilot-2.jpg

Figure 2. Pilot from 1/60 VF-1J "Max".

As we can see from the figure 1, the pilot has more equipment strapped on him. Should pads, arm guards, bigger boots, etc. In Figure 2, the pilot is practically wearing spandex with a backpack.

What was the actual designation of the YF-19 I have heard it was called Alpha One but in the Movie Edition it is called Eagle One

Was it different between the OVAs and the movie?

Was the cockpit of the VF-19 design different from the YF-19 as I see on the Macross Plus Movie the YF-19 windshield open to the front instead of the back as all previous fighters and the YF-21?

Er, are you sure? I'm pretty certain that in Manga's version of Macross Plus, both in the Japanese dialogue and in the subtitles they refere to it as Alpha-1.

Er, are you sure? I'm pretty certain that in Manga's version of Macross Plus, both in the Japanese dialogue and in the subtitles they refere to it as Alpha-1.

In my copy if the Macross Plus Movie Edition by Manga it is Eagle One the code name of the YF-19 on both subtitles and japanese dialogue, YF-21 remains as Omega One

Edited because I forgot to put:

So is the OVA YF-19 code Alpha One and in the Movie Eagle One?

Edited by RichterX

I don't remember where I read this, but Eagle One was the name of the first prototype and Alpha One was the name of the second.

Was the cockpit of the VF-19 design different from the YF-19 as I see on the Macross Plus Movie the YF-19 windshield open to the front instead of the back as all previous fighters and the YF-21?

Yes, the canopy was designed to open from the front and not from the back on the YF-19. However, in the production model, the Vf-19, the canopy opens from a hinge in the back.

What is the day the Space War I Armistice is celebrated?

I know that the peace treaty in DYRL was first sign on September 11 2010, but is the Armistice celebrated that day or when the Space War I was finally over?

Helmets. Note that the chin piece in the helmet comes off, at least in the TV version. DYRL version has a much pointier visor. Both this comparison and the suits are from Macross Perfect Memory (TV versions) and This is Animation 10 (DYRL).

post-25-1082708802.jpg

The VF-0 and later Variable Fighters use the JHMCS (Joint Helmet Mounted Cuening System)?

What is the day the Space War I Armistice is celebrated?

In M+, the celebration was held in March.

http://www.anime.net/macross/story/chronol...2040/index.html

http://www.anime.net/macross/story/chronol...2009/index.html

Did Max's voice actor acted in Macross Plus? 

Yes.

http://www.tcp.com/~doi/seiyuu/hayami-sho/roles-anime.html

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycloped...ople.php?id=724

The VF-0 and later Variable Fighters use the JHMCS

VF-0? Kinda. Later VFs? Probably not. Except for the VF-22, possibly.

Can someone straighten me out on chronology?

Is it basically:

Do You Remember Love: fictional to the Macross canon

Macross II: parallel universe/not part of Macross canon

Then it's:

Macross Zero -> Macross -> Macross 7 -> Macross Plus ?

OK, I had to come in there one day or another :p

I was browsing Amazon a few days ago and found some Macross+ OST available: I wished to know which one is the most complete, the 4 parts OAV one or the movie one? Will I get all of the movie pieces if I buy the OAV OST or are some of them specific to the motion picture version only?

Thanks in advance :)

Can someone straighten me out on chronology?

Is it basically:

Do You Remember Love: fictional to the Macross canon

Macross II: parallel universe/not part of Macross canon

Yes... and no. As far as chronology and DYRL are concerned, DYRL (the movie that was released in August '84 as a follow-up to the TV series) is NOT the same movie as DYRL (the fictionalized account of Space War One made in 2030 as recounted in Macross 7) Kawamori has been very cagey on how our DYRL fits into the scheme of things, and has hinted that, yes it is another movie version of SW1 events mader after the war, but also that it's also a valid replacement for the events of the Macross TV series (i.e. that it could be the REAL Space War One, and SDF Macross just a TV series :blink:).

As for Mac II, It's not canon. Although Kawamori et. al have embraced it as an "alternate universe," the events depicted did not and will not happen in the actual Macross storyline.

Edited by Pat Payne

I guess you mean the the difference between Macross Plus Ova and movie versions,

There are some extra scenes on the Movie edition, it is edited in a different way, like Isamu first start with the YF-19 and later in the movie he uses in a scene the VF-11B

the OVA version has more fighting scenes between the YF-19 and YF-21

OK, I had to come in there one day or another :p

I was browsing Amazon a few days ago and found some Macross+ OST available: I wished to know which one is the most complete, the 4 parts OAV one or the movie one? Will I get all of the movie pieces if I buy the OAV OST or are some of them specific to the motion picture version only?

Thanks in advance :)

If you want all the music from Macross Plus, you're probably going to have to get both OSTs. Although I can't think of any differences off the top of my head, I'd bet that some music was changed between the two versions.

If anyone is willing, I'd like more info. on the differences between the Macross Plus OVAs and the Macross Plus movie. I read the section of the FAQ, but it's a bit confusing. Would you guys say that both are equally worth seeing? How much footage is in the OVAs that isn't in the movie? How much in the movie that isn't in the OVAs?

Kind of a lame question but one I've always wondered about...

Is the Macross floating, or standing in Lake Global (are it's "feet" touching the ground)?

That is actually a damn good question. I would venture to guess that Lake Global is a post-SW1 crater filled with water, but it could also be a regular lake. I would think it's feet are touching the ground.

I've wondered that myself.

On a similar note, is there anything that says exactly where Macross City is? North America, Japan, or elsewhere?

Kind of a lame question but one I've always wondered about...

Is the Macross floating, or standing in Lake Global (are it's "feet" touching the ground)?

That is actually a damn good question. I would venture to guess that Lake Global is a post-SW1 crater filled with water, but it could also be a regular lake. I would think it's feet are touching the ground.

I've wondered that myself.

On a similar note, is there anything that says exactly where Macross City is? North America, Japan, or elsewhere?

I always thought that the city was located in Alasaka, since that's where the old base was. Could be wrong though.

It's In Alaska, AFAIK. The Macross set down in a crater not far from the Grand Cannon (where Misa and Hikaru were waiting to do the whole "Adam and Eve" thing :p) and the crater probably filled up with water over the next two years through massive rainstorms that would have been caused by all the dust and smoke and watervapor kicked up by the Zentradi attack.

Besides, Since at least 2/3 of the Macross is still out of the water (when it really WAS floating after breaking through the Zent blockade in "Blue Wind" it was more like 50/50 IIRC) , it should have fallen down -- being vertical and not horizontal like a naval vessel, it should have been way too top-heavy to independently float with that much above water.

Edited by Pat Payne

How do you figure? In both that episode of the tv series, and in M+, the Macross is floating at the point where the Daedalus/Promethus, or the two ARMD carries are floating in the water. It should be floating at around the same point, if it is floating.

[since a mod locked the thread in the main forum, this is being reposted here.]

Where can I find a good mech guide that would (for example) show a picture of the mech, tell which series or episode it was in, give historical information, tell me what weapons or abilities it has, state anything else significant, etc?

How do you figure? In both that episode of the tv series, and in M+, the Macross is floating at the point where the Daedalus/Promethus, or the two ARMD carries are floating in the water. It should be floating at around the same point, if it is floating.

It looked to me like in the Ep. Blue Wind that the Macross was floating around its waist-lower chest, whereas in Macross City, the Macross was considerably higher (top of the legs). ICBW, of course ;)

[since a mod locked the thread in the main forum, this is being reposted here.]

Where can I find a good mech guide that would (for example) show a picture of the mech, tell which series or episode it was in, give historical information, tell me what weapons or abilities it has, state anything else significant, etc?

Between mahq.net and macross.anime.net, yopu should be able to get most of what you want.

If anyone is willing, I'd like more info. on the differences between the Macross Plus OVAs and the Macross Plus movie. I read the section of the FAQ, but it's a bit confusing. Would you guys say that both are equally worth seeing? How much footage is in the OVAs that isn't in the movie? How much in the movie that isn't in the OVAs?

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=5492

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=369