Newbie Questions on Macross

Does anyone know exactly the VF-1 floats? In water I mean. I can't think of any instances from the show, but in DYRL? the super ostrich in floating in the water outside the Protocultre ruin. Its in like half-GERWALK mode, with the arms in fighter mode, but the legs unattached from the body, and the backpack flipped up. The legs are also angled down slightly. Does it have so kind of internal floatation devies of somthing?

*EDIT* If you're looking for where it is in the movie, its at 00:58:57.

What it might, might, MIGHT be is something as simple as compressed air/CO2 baloons in the wings/fuselage. Some aircraft had them in the pre-WW2 era (for instance on the TBD-2 Devestator) to use in cast the pilot had to ditch. He'd inflate the baloons, make a soft water landing (or as soft as possible, and float the craft on the baloons until he and it were rescued. The baloons were taken out of US craft at the beginnig of WW2, by the way, out of concerns that the rescuer would be Japanese or German, and not Allied.

It wouldn't be hard to imagine a beefed-up version of that in a Valk. :)

Thanks, I figure there must be somthing inside there, but the way the legs are angled makes me think that that has somthing to do with it too, I dunno, I might try to look into this...

Does anyone know exactly the VF-1 floats? In water I mean. I can't think of any instances from the show, but in DYRL? the super ostrich in floating in the water outside the Protocultre ruin. Its in like half-GERWALK mode, with the arms in fighter mode, but the legs unattached from the body, and the backpack flipped up. The legs are also angled down slightly. Does it have so kind of internal floatation devies of somthing?

*EDIT* If you're looking for where it is in the movie, its at 00:58:57.

In Macross Zero, the VF-0 also floats on water.

I'm just guessing its probably as simple as the fact that the Valks are air tight and probably have enough balast in the legs and body to keep them afloat.

Ok, I just watched the first 12 eps. of the original tv series for the first time! However, after listening to the discussions about the Supervision Army, I thought I understood that it no longer existed, but Britia and Exodol's made mention of the Supervision Army (as though it still exists???). Also, am I correct in assuming that the Bodol Main Fleet is in search of the Supervision Army and the reason for Britia's fleet coming to Earth is to retrieve or destroy a Supervision Army ship (ASS-1). Can someone clarify for me if the Supervision Army still exists, or not (during SDFM timeframe:2009-).

Yes, the Supervision Army still exists as of 2009, but it seems that the Zentradi have them on the run. And yes, the reason Britai's fleet comes to the Solar System is to follow the fold signature of a Supervision Army ship (the ASS-1).

See http://macross.anime.net/fallacies/errata/...aq/5/index.html and http://macross.anime.net/story/chronology/index.html

The first link is corrections to a Robotech FAQ that's floating around the net. (Some newer versions of the RT FAQ incorporate the corrections already.)

I was wondering, In the DYRL version of the Macross saga, did the Zentradi destroy Earth immediately after the SDF-1 folded or did Bodolza's fleet fold to Earth after the Breetai fleet gave chase to the Macross and lay it to waste? The Saturn game just shows a small bombardment of South Ataria island and nothing else.

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie,

I loved the original marcoss and I finally got my hands on Macross 7 and just finished it. I have to say, at first I thought that the whole singing idea mecha wasn't doing it for me, and the first batch of episodes were pretty repetitive and frustrating because of Basara's personality and his lack of logic for doing what he does. But then it got really interesting and found I liked the characters and the relationships they were developing. Also, my antagonism over Basara changed to respect for him... as some whose hobby is music, I find his stubbornness inspiring. Overall, I found I really liked the series and thought it was a very appropriate sequel.

Anyway, I have a few questions, and if some of them have been answered before, I would be appreciated if I was pointed to the right thread.

1) When Gamlin was taken over by the Protodevlin and drained his collegues' spiritia, how come Milia recovered so quickly compared to the others... besides plot convenience?

2) How many children does Milia and Max have, and where are they?

3) How come Basara's music affected Sivil differently than the other Protodevlins, and exactly what was she feeling? Meaning, while the others reacted in pain, Sivil looked like she was getting sexually aroused.

4) I felt the ending was a little short; do the characters' development continue on Dynamite 7, and is it worth getting?

Thanks in advance

I was wondering, In the DYRL version of the Macross saga, did the Zentradi destroy Earth immediately after the SDF-1 folded or did Bodolza's fleet fold to Earth after the Breetai fleet gave chase to the Macross and lay it to waste? The Saturn game just shows a small bombardment of South Ataria island and nothing else.

Yes, they bombarded Earth after SDF-1 folded.

When Gamlin was taken over by the Protodevlin and drained his collegues' spiritia, how come Milia recovered so quickly compared to the others... besides plot convenience?

Millia has always been a strong-willed lady. Even before she flew out in her VF-22 however, she was still bedridden.

How many children does Milia and Max have, and where are they?

7 daughters.

Emilia - on a mining colony.

Komilia Maria - unknown, possibly with the UN forces

Miracle - unknown

Miranda - unknow

Muse - unknown

Mylene Flare - Macross 7

Therese -unknown

How come Basara's music affected Sivil differently than the other Protodevlins, and exactly what was she feeling? Meaning, while the others reacted in pain, Sivil looked like she was getting sexually aroused.

Because Sivil was curious. Sivil's exposure to Basara affected her. The other Protodevlin had less drive to investigate Basara and their only drive was to create the Spiritia Farm. Those Protodevlin were less rebellious than Gigile or Sivil.

I felt the ending was a little short; do the characters' development continue on Dynamite 7, and is it worth getting?

Yes they do develop a bit. But I won't spoil it for you. :)

Azrael, can you expand on that or cite a source? The question is--when in the DYRL timeframe was the Earth laid waste, and did Breetai do it or somebody else?

I was under the impression that there really weren't any answers to those questions.

Azrael, can you expand on that or cite a source? The question is--when in the DYRL timeframe was the Earth laid waste, and did Breetai do it or somebody else?

I was under the impression that there really weren't any answers to those questions.

Sorry, was reading that question without thinking about it. Oops. It was probably done by Britai's fleet. Boldolza was not in the vicinity of Earth (IIRC) at the time so I doubt it was anybody but Britai. But I haven't seen DYRL? in ages so I may be wrong (Also Britai made a long range fold to Boldolza and I don't think Saturn to Earth would be considered a long-range fold).

When? Well, best I can do is guess. DYRL? starts when they are around Saturn. When Hikaru and Minmay go for their joy ride, we are still in the vicinity of Saturn. Minmay states in the beginning during the concert scene that 5 months have passed since they left Earth. So Pluto to Saturn took them roughly 5 months to travel. So my best guess would be somewhere in those 5 months between where Macross folded to the beginning of DYRL? the movie, Earth was laid to waste. Unfortunately, I can't give you any better than that.

There is slightly more conclusive evidence in the DYRL? game (for PSX and Saturn).

It clearly shows a bombardment of at least South Artaria(SP?) Island just as you see the Macross fold out.

There is slightly more conclusive evidence in the DYRL? game (for PSX and Saturn).

It clearly shows a bombardment of at least South Artaria(SP?) Island just as you see the Macross fold out.

I have the Saturn game, and it shows South Ataria receiving a few hits as the Macross folds out. I was wondering if any official source has stated who specifically destroyed Earth-Bodolza or Britai?

However, If someone wants to venture a guess, I'd say it was Britai. At least to me, it seems that Britai's fleet is the one on the scene for much of the movie, with Bodolza only being called in relatively late to deal with the fact that the Zentradi have found Miclones.

I was roaming though one of the Macross 7 threads and this came to mind. What ever happend to the Fz-109s and Az-130s piloted by those pilots Basara deprogramed? Did they repaint them and press them into service or anything, I mean they were supirior to the VF-11?

The mecha itself is not seen again, only the pilots.

However, If someone wants to venture a guess, I'd say it was Britai. At least to me, it seems that Britai's fleet is the one on the scene for much of the movie, with Bodolza only being called in relatively late to deal with the fact that the Zentradi have found Miclones.

I guess that makes as good as explanation as any given DYRL is a fictionalized retelling of Space War one within the Macross Universe. I always figured even if the events in DYRL became more dramatic for the perceived post-war audience, that it followed the TV series somewhat by having Bodolza destroy Earth. I guess Britai decided to destroy first and ask questions later when it came to Earth since presumably the Macross opened fire first upon his fleet.

I guess that makes as good as explanation as any given DYRL is a fictionalized retelling of Space War one within the Macross Universe. I always figured even if the events in DYRL became more dramatic for the perceived post-war audience, that it followed the TV series somewhat by having Bodolza destroy Earth. I guess Britai decided to destroy first and ask questions later when it came to Earth since presumably the Macross opened fire first upon his fleet.

That's part of it, but also from the way events unfold int he movie, it almost has to make sense. It's like this:

1) Hikaru, Minmay, Misa, Kaifun and Roy are captured by the Zentradi around Saturn.

2) Britai's ship makes a fold out to somewhere (at least to me, presumably out of the system, since there's no mention of Bodolza's fortress at the beginning of the movie, but perhaps as far in the system as between the Oort Cloud and Pluto's orbit)

3) The Miclones are interrogated, and Misa and Hikaru escape. At thsi time, Britai is in the middle of a space fold, and Hikaru and Misa accidentally hitch a ride in the fold system of another ship heading to Earth, where they crash-land.

In this series of events, it looks as if Bodolzaa's ship is in free space, nowhere near a planet, and certainly not in the inner band of the Solar System.

Now, none of this precludes another theory, in which Bodolzaa's fleet did drop in to help on the annihilation of Earth, and then bugged out, leaving Britai with the task of mopping up. But I tend towards the view that Britai's fleet, with over 1000 ships, would have destroyed Earth thouroghly over the course of a few days, and then only called in Bodolzaa's entire fleet once it became clear that the ship's inhabitants may have a weapon useful in beating the Meltrandi.

3) The Miclones are interrogated, and Misa and Hikaru escape. At thsi time, Britai is in the middle of a space fold, and Hikaru and Misa accidentally hitch a ride in the fold system of another ship heading to Earth, where they crash-land.

Yes, I'm being a bit nit-picky :p

Actually, Britai's ship was beginning to fold during Hikaru, Misa and Roy's escape. Milia and her squad had infiltraded Britai's ship. During the battle, Hikaru's Valkyrie is blown into space by a hull breach. Just as the fold is commencing, Hikaru tries to fly his Valkyrie back into Britai's ship. However, not being actually inside the ship, Hikaru and Misa are just apparently by sheer coincidence radomly folded to Earth.

Now, none of this precludes another theory, in which Bodolzaa's fleet did drop in to help on the annihilation of Earth, and then bugged out, leaving Britai with the task of mopping up.

I always believed in DYRL that Britai gave chase to the Macross, and he sent word to Bodolza about the Macross. Being that Earth could serve as a potential threat to the Zentradi if they had indeed allied themselves with the Meltrandi, I kind of figured Boldoza folded to Earth with the main fleet and destroyed it. I guess Britai could have done it himself, but anything's possible.

Edited by Memphis Egyptologist

Ok, Today, I've got a few questions:

1. does anyone know what the transformation controls are in the YF-19?

2. does anyone know if the pin-point barrier system is implemented in any other -19 than the YF-19?

3. does anyone know of any colony worlds/fleets that don't have any kind of story written about them?

Hope none of these are too hard, thanks!

*edit* scratch the second one, I know that atleast the -19A has one. :D

Edited by Shmitty

2. does anyone know if the pin-point barrier system is implemented in any other -19 than the YF-19?

3. does anyone know of any colony worlds/fleets that don't have any kind of story written about them?

*edit* scratch the second one, I know that atleast the -19A has one. :D

I can't remember about in M+, but in the opening animation for MVFX 1, there is a scene where the pilot of a -19 transforms his valk into Battroid from fighter, and flips the throttle into an up position (bending it into like a joystick). Although I think they flipped the animation so the throttle appeared on the right... :lol:

I can't answer your other questions though, sorry. :(

1) Transformation is controlled via the throttle lever.

2) ALL VF-19s have the PPB system.

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/united_...vf19/index.html

3) There are lots of 'em. Ranging from small ships to the big fleets. The noted ones are Megaroad-01, Macross-05, Macross-07, Macross-13, Algenicus, Sentinel, and the Saratoga II. All the others have yet to find their niche. :)

What was the state of the galaxy at the time of SWI? Was it just some wartorn "wasteland" littered with space debris and blasted planets?

We don't know as the story isn't about the rest of the galaxy. Only Earth.

who created the "macross"

We created "Macross", i.e. humans. Depending on which version of the story you want to believe, the Supervision Army created the gunboat which we call Macross. Another version (DYRL?) says it was a Meltran gunboat. :)

why whas it the supervision army?

Engrish?

Edited by azrael

who created the "macross"

Shoji Kawamori. :)

and why whas it the supervision army?

Seriously, my own theory is that (given what we know about the events of M7) that the Evil (prounounced "eh-vil") series Zentradi had been produced as sort of a system to "watch the watchers," to smack down regular Zents who got out of hand. This was what the "Supervision Army" was to be like as originally envisioned by the Protocultures.

*edit* scratch the second one, I know that atleast the -19A has one.  :D

I can't remember about in M+, but in the opening animation for MVFX 1, there is a scene where the pilot of a -19 transforms his valk into Battroid from fighter, and flips the throttle into an up position (bending it into like a joystick). Although I think they flipped the animation so the throttle appeared on the right... :lol:

I can't answer your other questions though, sorry. :(

I think your right... I'll have to watch the OVAs again, but if memory serves me correcly... Isamu would "rotate" the throttle control to change configuration on the YF-19 (I think its during the simulator flights)

The recent Valkyrie history thread brought up a question:

What was the "GERWALK incident"?

Was this an accidental discovery of Gerwalk mode? (which seems odd). Or was this the first time the public discovered the military secret of the VF-1 before it was declassified?

Is there a story behind it?

The recent Valkyrie history thread brought up a question:

What was the "GERWALK incident"?

Was this an accidental discovery of Gerwalk mode? (which seems odd). Or was this the first time the public discovered the military secret of the VF-1 before it was declassified?

Is there a story behind it?

summary: They botched a VTOL landing and decided it looked useful.

The real origin isn't much better. As I understand things, it came from a broken VF-1 toy sample.

The real origin isn't much better. As I understand things, it came from a broken VF-1 toy sample.

Kinda. The story is, Kawamori was working off a pre-production toy (very early in development). He wanted the make GERWALK mode a reality but couldn't figure out how to make it work. Kawamori already intended GERWALK to be implemented but had trouble thinking it through. When he picked up the toy, the legs just dropped down (as they do in GERWALK mode) and next thing you know, we have GERWALK mode. The legs dropped down due to the fact that the legs didn't have a locking mechanism.