1/48 Two Seater Conversion Kits

Mechamaniac

I'm wondering if I should include a set of round TV hands to go with the 1D?

I also want to mold the head's double visor in clear green... i think that'd be a nice touch.

Of course a VF-1D needs round TV hands.

translucent gereen visor sounds fantastic.

Graham

I think I can do small figures pretty decently. Here's a couple of pics of some that I've done.

One is scratchbuilt. I wanted a better looking DYRL figure but Yamato beat me to it when they released the Hikaru 1S. But mine had a fully detailed backpack complete with boosters.

The other is a modified TV pilot. I took of the visor and though it's hard to see it has the hair flop and the groovy big collars. This pilot is intended to be diplayed for valks in atmosphere.

I can donate Minmay and Hikaru in his fanracer suit when this project begins free of charge.

pilot01.JPG

pilot02.JPG

I'm wondering if I should include a set of round TV hands to go with the 1D?

I also want to mold the head's double visor in clear green... i think that'd be a nice touch.

That would be sweet Captain. This project is really all about the head. I know that the whole front section with the cockpit needs to be changed too, but the VF-1D head is really the piece de resistance of the valk. Do that first if you can when the project starts!

Wouldn't the heat shield need to be bigger? Also, as much as I want the kit to be pre-colored for VF-1D colors, I would like to make the Virgin Road valk (Max and Millia wedding valk.) I hope there are head kits conversion as well if the VE-1 and VT-1 kits are to be made.

Wouldn't the heat shield need to be bigger?  Also, as much as I want the kit to be pre-colored for VF-1D colors, I would like to make the Virgin Road valk (Max and Millia wedding valk.)  I hope there are head kits conversion as well if the VE-1 and VT-1 kits are to be made.

Yes, the heatshield definitely needs to be longer. How that will work, IUNNO...

I'm leaving that up to the Cap'n.

I think pre-coloring for VF-1D colors would be a bad idea. First, trying to paint match any existing color is hard enough, and trying to repaint the rest of a standard valk to match 1D pre colored orange and brown pieces would be a beeyotch.

I'd much rather the pieces be molded in a color that closely matches the sacrificial 1J, or any of the standard DYRL valks. That way, even those that lack painting skills could still have a plain jane two seater, or those that have skills, can have a plain white canvas to do whatever they want with.

Edited by Mechamaniac

So, I was looking at one of my 1/48's last night in Fighter/Gerwalk, and I think the only hiccup that I can forsee with this is the Heat Shield on the 1D.

Obviously, the Heatshield has to be longer, and it has to stow under the chestplate/BP hatch when in Fighter/Gerwalk mode.

As someone said before, the top of the fuselage is really the only part that needs to be lengthened, this is good since making the bottom of the fuselage longer would throw off the distance between the swing bar pegs, and the mating point at the nosecone for Battroid mode.

But, it will be interesting to see how the Cap'n tackles the Heatshield issue. I don't think it's UN-doable, but definitely will be a challenge. B))

A detachable heatshield would be fine with me. Especially since it'll probably have to be painted and therefore prone to scratching.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I have no doubt that a perfect transormation version is possible, but if I have to live with a detachable heatshield, I have no problem with that at all.

A detachable heatshield would be fine with me. Especially since it'll probably have to be painted and therefore prone to scratching.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I have no doubt that a perfect transormation version is possible, but if I have to live with a detachable heatshield, I have no problem with that at all.

Doesnt matter if it comes off or not. Actually it does since I like it be perfect but I am asking for the moon. :rolleyes: Anyways, I just hope it is sturdy enough. I will take mutiples of the VF-1D, VT-1, and VE-1. iF we can have boxes of each, I AM MORE THAN WILLING TO PAY A PREMIUM! :wacko:

willing to pay a premium hmmmm. id believe it considering he owns almost 1,500 dollars worth of 1/48 scales anyway. This going on the relative average i have seen in cost on those beauties.

id take one too if the pieces were sturdy enough.

Edited by HWR MKII

I am definately interested in this kit, but cost will be the ultimate decider for me.

same here. if its affordable i may buy a couple....

as far as making certain parts removable, i think thats fine, we'll live. :)

you know what would be super cool(and perhaps easier to make) is a detachable nose assembly? sounds silly but we could just swap out the nose and BANG we got a two seater. slap on the new longer heatshield, some minor adjustments to the tailfins(only for VE and VT) and its done. i know the chest plate is a bit different for the 2 seaters but IMO not so much so that a new chest plate would need to be casted.

just my 2. :)

Doesnt matter if it comes off or not. Actually it does since I like it be perfect but I am asking for the moon. :rolleyes: Anyways, I just hope it is sturdy enough. I will take mutiples of the VF-1D, VT-1, and VE-1. iF we can have boxes of each, I AM MORE THAN WILLING TO PAY A PREMIUM! :wacko:

Godzilla, you _________! :lol: There's no reason to discuss prices... look at the tachikoma... that was a great price. And I don't think they're gonna offer the boxes... if someone else does it, that'll be great, but why would they send you a big box for something that just contains an upgrade kit...

The chestplate is dramatically different. The longer cockpit needs extra space.

Here's a quick comparison using 1/60s.

i stand corrected. i didn't have valks next to me to compare, being at work and all. :p

i never realized there was such a HUGE difference so scratch my idea. i just thought a detachable nose cone would be cool cause then we could come up with some way to attach it to the forearm of a valk. :D yes i'm dreamin.....

The chestplate is dramatically different.  The longer cockpit needs extra space.

Here's a quick comparison using 1/60s.

i stand corrected. i didn't have valks next to me to compare, being at work and all. :p

i never realized there was such a HUGE difference so scratch my idea. i just thought a detachable nose cone would be cool cause then we could come up with some way to attach it to the forearm of a valk. :D yes i'm dreamin.....

I hear ya. I had the same thought. That's what propted me to scrutinize the differences. ;) It doesn't mean the new nose couldn't come with optional parts to make a detached nose for Roy to tote about. ActuallyI think I'd almost rather have that than a complete D.

but why would they send you a big box for something that just contains an upgrade kit...

not only that but why would you spend on bunch of money on a upgrade kit, sand it, file it, paint it, apply decals, then box it up? :unsure:

yeah, same thing I was thinking... :lol:

willing to pay a premium hmmmm. id believe it considering he owns almost 1,500 dollars worth of 1/48 scales anyway. This going on the relative average i have seen in cost on those beauties.

id take one too if the pieces were sturdy enough.

Uhm, $1500? try at least $6500 - 65 valks at $100 a pop...

but why would they send you a big box for something that just contains an upgrade kit...

not only that but why would you spend on bunch of money on a upgrade kit, sand it, file it, paint it, apply decals, then box it up? :unsure:

yeah, same thing I was thinking... :lol:

i'm still trying to figure out what the heck hes gonna do with 60+ valks? :unsure:

theres only a total of 8 1/48s so even if you had to have 5 of each, 3 in each mode, 1 to play with and 1 to keep MIB, there still leaves 20+ unaccounted for? i'm telling you man, him working for MS is a smokescreen, you and i both know what godzilla really does for a living. :ph34r::lol:

Removeable heatshield, heh...

It'll transform perfectly with the heatshield in place, thank you very much. And it WILL come molded in color to prevent paint scratching... Beige or light grey; just specify which variant you're doing when you order (1st ep. version, or Virgin Road ver.) and I'll cast it directly in the specific color. Should you wish to paint the parts just the same, you can always do so; that remains at the discretion of the customer.

Removeable heatshield, heh...

It'll transform perfectly with the heatshield in place, thank you very much. And it WILL come molded in color to prevent paint scratching... Beige or light grey; just specify which variant you're doing when you order (1st ep. version, or Virgin Road ver.) and I'll cast it directly in the specific color. Should you wish to paint the parts just the same, you can always do so; that remains at the discretion of the customer.

Shouldn't it be blue for the "virgin road" version? I believe that was a 2 seater version of Max's 1J, but I could be wrong.

First of all, I'm glad the Cap has taken on this project. A huge thanks to him and everyone else involved. You guys are true fans.

Anyway, what kind of time frame are we talking about until completion?

I need to start saving up for a 1/48 and, since I'm dirt poor and have a crack habit to support, this requires financial planning on my part.