1/48 Two Seater Conversion Kits

Mechamaniac

That lineart pic definitely needs to be in this thread...

And while we won't need new tailfins for the VE or the VT, there will either need to be a new backpack piece, or new metal mounting pins for the Packs since the angle of the packs definitely needs to change on the VE or the VT.

Anyone know how to die cast?, Those pieces are probably metal for a reason...

vf1types.gif

Edited by Mechamaniac

Why does the VT-1 Cockpit bubble up so weirdly?  Also, why does the VF-1D only have one radar/radio/FLIR? spine (the fin in the back) while all the others have two?

The VT and VE cockpits bubble up because the cockpit is stepped, so the RIO seat is elevated from the forward seat....

superopic.jpg

As to the antennae on the VF-1D, see here... the antenna fins are side by side on the head hatch.....

1dpic.jpg

Edited by Mechamaniac

Aha!  Thanks alot mate.  I'm gonna just go pretend that I know what a RIO seat is.... :unsure:

D'oh sorry..

The rear seat in most modern combat jets is designated for the NFO (Naval Flight Officer) or the RIO (Radar Intercept Officer). In many cases, the rear seat is stepped so that the rear seat provides better visibility for the observer/instructor.

EDIT - In the Macross universe, the VT-1 is a trainer, so it would be for the Instructor or, the hoochie mama you take out on a joyride. :lol:

Edited by Mechamaniac

Actually I wasnt kidding. Well it was going to the armor-01 or prometheus which depends. But they will be in a cutaway detail.

You're going to need a small army laborers to construct that thing. And, out of what material were you planning on building it?

I can imagine the looks you'd get from your neighbors when you open the garage door and you have a Honda and a blue aircraft carrier in there. :o

well we will.I said I had plans to. I have other projects sitting around.

Hey, I never said you weren't going to. I don't doubt you. Hope I didn't offend you.

Nah. you didnt. ;)

As for the VE and VT, you will need to have the wings changed as well since they are not your standard VF-1 wings.

Now I know why Yamato redesigned the tailfins. It's to make the Valk look better in fighter mode with the FAST Packs on. Check out he 1/48 with the tailfins in the position like the VT-1 above. Doesn't look too flash.

post-4-1109474666_thumb.jpg

Yes, and therein lies the problem...

No matter what the lineart says, look at the Hasegawa pic above, the flat portion of the tail section is parallel with the fuselage.

Therefore, either we make new shorter tailfins, or modify the backpack so that the flat portion folds down to lay parallel with the fuselage as shown.

Either way, the backpack or fins are gonna have to be modified.

Yes, and therein lies the problem...

No matter what the lineart says, look at the Hasegawa pic above, the flat portion of the tail section is parallel with the fuselage.

Therefore, either we make new shorter tailfins, or modify the backpack so that the flat portion folds down to lay parallel with the fuselage as shown.

Either way, the backpack or fins are gonna have to be modified.

Then again, the VT has a stepped up cockpit, bringing the backpack and the cockpit closer to each other. As for those two being parallel, I think we have to look at the actual model as we don't have a good side profile pic to look at. While the artwork is cool, it's not very good for figuring out our problem.

Wow...one suggestion...since the VT1 and VF1D Look so simmilar (in terms of tail fins) Would it make more sense to do a VT1 Conversion kit without FP's. This keeps the price down and if it does well also lets John just do arm, leg, and FP armor and viola...Super Ostrich and 2 steps as opposed to a whole seperate 1D Converstion kit and then another VT Conversion kit.

Just a thought.

will Neova or somebody else consider selling completed modified Valks? I'd rather let someone else do the work than butcher my own Valk and destroy a sweet custom two-seat rig and try to conceal my poor craftsmanship with the world's worst paint job. I'm just lookin' for a hypothetical rather than an agreement of some sort...

No problem except for the availability of the Valkyries. I hear rumors the 1/48 GBP release will initiate the re-issue of Hikaru's VF-1J but nothing has been confirmed yet.

Cross your fingers. :D

Just out of curiosity, how did Hasegawa solve the backpack/V-tail issue on their models? I don't own either, but perhaps they could offer a clue as to how based on the Movie stylesheets, the backpack appears to be in its "normal" horizontal super configuration, but the V-tails still appear to be extended with the tips out on either side of the fighter's spine?

I swear sometimes! Kawamori-kun outta learn to *inaudible grumble* <_<

Wow...one suggestion...since the VT1 and VF1D Look so simmilar (in terms of tail fins) Would it make more sense to do a VT1 Conversion kit without FP's. This keeps the price down and if it does well also lets John just do arm, leg, and FP armor and viola...Super Ostrich and 2 steps as opposed to a whole seperate 1D Converstion kit and then another VT Conversion kit.

Just a thought.

But the Wings are different from the VT vs VF-1D.

Wow...one suggestion...since the VT1 and VF1D Look so simmilar (in terms of tail fins) Would it make more sense to do a VT1 Conversion kit without FP's.  This keeps the price down and if it does well also lets John just do arm, leg, and FP armor and viola...Super Ostrich and 2 steps as opposed to a whole seperate 1D Converstion kit and then another VT Conversion kit.

Just a thought.

But the Wings are different from the VT vs VF-1D.

Jesse just really wants to do the VE/VT instead of the 1D.. :lol:

OK guys, got an update from the Cap'n today...

He got the sacrificial 1J, and reports the following...

I was looking over the design quickly to see what would need to be modified, and though it will be a TIGHT fit, it looks like it can be done.

I only have one concern, and it's a significant one: when the chest armor detaches to pivot foreward and over the canopy, the 1D's lengthened cockpit may cause the whole thing to bind. It won't so much cause a problem for the chest armor, but rather for the heatshield, which, in fighter mode, butts right against the back wall of the cockpit, so the longer cockpit would stick out back almost a quarter inch further, and simply jam the heatshield from coming foreward in battroid mode.

Anyhoo, I'm sure that there's a way around this, and it seems to be the only real snag that would prevent this from working. I'll keep you appraised as I continue to tinker with the design.

What I'm wondering is how the backpack for the VT-1 and VE-1 will fold up in battroid mode. Don't forget, the tailfins don't fold away like the regular VF-1. So how's the backpack supposed to support the weight of the fastpacks without the backpack folded all the way back? Does anyone here know how the 1/60's managed this?

Personally, if push came to shove, I'd have no problem if John fudged it and went the 1/55 route (just fold the wings away like a regular battroid). :)

It's been said before, but a removable heat-shield for all three is fine with me. Holy crap, I'm a poet and didn't know it! Sorry, I'll stop now. Anyway, since these would likely see only one transformation apiece, having a "functioning" heat-shield isn't a big deal to me. Yeah, it'll be sweet if it happens, but I won't be disappointed if it we have to settle for the 1/60 route.

It's been said before, but a removable heat-shield for all three is fine with me. Holy crap, I'm a poet and didn't know it! Sorry, I'll stop now. Anyway, since these would likely see only one transformation apiece, having a "functioning" heat-shield isn't a big deal to me. Yeah, it'll be sweet if it happens, but I won't be disappointed if it we have to settle for the 1/60 route.

Me neither, but the Captain seems hell bent on getting us PT two seaters. :huh:

Hey, don't fault the guy for pursuing perfection!! :o:lol:

true, all true, if we get PT two seaters, awesomely outrageous :D . If not, we're still getting two seater valks.

And always remember, be it Captain Mo, Cap'N Crunch, or our esteemed Captain America, you and the Captain make it happen! :lol:

I never fault him for perfection. If he can do it, great. If not, not an issue. As I said before, I bet Yamato is facing the same problems Capt America is facing.

What I'm wondering is how the backpack for the VT-1 and VE-1 will fold up in battroid mode. Don't forget, the tailfins don't fold away like the regular VF-1. So how's the backpack supposed to support the weight of the fastpacks without the backpack folded all the way back? Does anyone here know how the 1/60's managed this?

Personally, if push came to shove, I'd have no problem if John fudged it and went the 1/55 route (just fold the wings away like a regular battroid). :)

well with the 1/60 design, they had to change the backpack hinge all togther in order for it to hold(w/o froppiness). i don't know how to describe it if you don't own one, but its like the reg. 1/60's, you push the hinge forward, fold the tailfins out, then the backpack itself get pushed down(and clicks) into the hinge and holds fairly tight. does that make sense?

back on topic,

it seems there more hoops to jump through the further we get into this discussion...as far as the VE and VT are concerned. but i'm a bigger fan of the 1D(and it doesn't have all these issues), so as long as that gets made, i'll be a happy guy. :)

i just hope all these little details for the VE and VT doesn't deter the cap'n from going ahead with the project in the future. :unsure:

Unfortunately, the pics in the Toys section don't really show much. About the best view of the backpack hinge is shown in the instructions. The thin part of the hinge slides up into the backpack a little bit. The regular 1/60 hinge doesn't do this.

post-4-1109851451_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, the pics in the Toys section don't really show much. About the best view of the backpack hinge is shown in the instructions. The thin part of the hinge slides up into the backpack a little bit. The regular 1/60 hinge doesn't do this.

There is no way any of us should do this with our 1/48. Broken Backpack hinge anyone? :rolleyes: Damn, Looks like he'll (maybe) have to swap out the body piece proximal to the backpack too.

Here's a pic of the sacrificial lamb VF-1J that's on it's way to Captain America...

vf1j.jpg

Everyone wave goodbye!  :lol:

Via con Dios!

OK guys, got an update from the Cap'n today...

He got the sacrificial 1J, and reports the following...

I was looking over the design quickly to see what would need to be modified, and though it will be a TIGHT fit, it looks like it can be done.

I only have one concern, and it's a significant one: when the chest armor detaches to pivot foreward and over the canopy, the 1D's lengthened cockpit may cause the whole thing to bind. It won't so much cause a problem for the chest armor, but rather for the heatshield, which, in fighter mode, butts right against the back wall of the cockpit, so the longer cockpit would stick out back almost a quarter inch further, and simply jam the heatshield from coming foreward in battroid mode.

Anyhoo, I'm sure that there's a way around this, and it seems to be the only real snag that would prevent this from working. I'll keep you appraised as I continue to tinker with the design.

Maybe the excess can fit back into the area below the "back flap" since we

would need a new one anyways for the 1D

Edited by Doctor Paragon

Anybody want to send me a free 1/48? :lol:

Wow, good luck with the two-seater...that VF-1d (Not VF-4!) has always been my favorite mech of all time, next to Mazinger Z

A quick question though...a couple months back I saw the original macross series for the first time, and when (I forget who) fights the big evil Zentradi guy, the zentradi dude rips off the chest "plate" of the valk in Battroid mode. When he does that, it shows that the whole cockpit of the valk seems to slide up. I was wondering if any of the toy valks do that? Cuz' in the show, the cockpit seems A LOT smaller in battroid mode...