What will those crazy Japanese think of next

It takes a bit of practice, and in many cases it's far easier just to endure the hassle of pushing buttons.

Thank god. Lord knows pushing buttons is a chore, right up there with getting off the couch to get a beer or taking your clothes off before getting in the shower.

On the other hand, if they combine it with a powerful microphone so that you don't have to talk directly into it, and program it to activate the microphone to accept voice commands whenever you flick the phone open, we could all pretend we've got communicators from classic Star Trek...

:huh: ridiculous stuff they have on the market

In one game, players can aim their cell phone in various directions like a gun to shoot zombies.

In another, players swing the handset like a golf club, making a virtual ball pop around on a virtual course.

some people are going to look like real idiots when useing that thing in public. :ph34r:

By the time the US develops an almost-foolproof missle-defence system, the Japanese would have developed...a better cellphone. :huh: These guys need better priorites. :rolleyes:

I doubt they could have developed military technology even if they wanted... the allied countries pretty much neutered Japan in that aspect after WWII ended.

By the time the US develops an almost-foolproof missle-defence system, the Japanese would have developed...a better cellphone. :huh:   These guys need better priorites. :rolleyes:

I doubt they could have developed military technology even if they wanted... the allied countries pretty much neutered Japan in that aspect after WWII ended.

You see my point, though: you can work on creating something that may one day save lives, or you can have a shinier cellphone! <_< Of course, the technologies are vastly different, but still....

Not to say i have anything against shiney objects. Ohhhhhh. :p

Edited by Wes

Cell phones with all of these features are useless, I'm amazed how Europe and Asia get suckered in by these things. They say the US is lagging behind when it comes to cell phone tech on the market, I just think we have less useless crap.

By the time the US develops an almost-foolproof missle-defence system, the Japanese would have developed...a better cellphone. :huh:  These guys need better priorites. :rolleyes:

You see my point, though: you can work on creating something that may one day save lives, or you can have a shinier cellphone! <_< Of course, the technologies are vastly different, but still....

Shinier cellphones = more money.

It's called capitalism.

And Japan has the 4th-highest military budget in the world, so they're not exactly skimping on that, either.

SWEEEETTTT I want that feature. You guys dog on it but just think, for your closest friends you can program jerking motions, Street Fighter moves, etc!!!!

Uhh... No. I don't want to be accidently smacked by some kid "phoning home" with SF moves as a form of dialing.

This is truly inovative!

Instead of trying to push some f*kin tiny buttons on the edge without grip...

And ofcourse people with a handicap have great benefit from it.

It's about time they focus on the fkin userfriendlyness of stupid small cellphones.

Lol... I get lots of explanaition about features of a cellphone... at the end I have 1 question... "can I call with this thing?"

Edited by Kin

"Hello."

"Hi, can I speak to Joe?"

"Sorry there's no 'Joe' at this number."

"Is this shake shake shake jiggle twist jiggle shake?"

"No, this is shake shake shake jiggle twist jiggle jiggle."

"Sorry about that."

"That's ok. Happens all the time."

LOL!!!

The sensor not only detects direction but also speed and force. In one game, players can aim their cell phone in various directions like a gun to shoot zombies.

In another, players swing the handset like a golf club, making a virtual ball pop around on a virtual course.

It gets interesting when they make hentai games available. :lol:

Missile defense is doomed to become a joke for it unfeasibility.

Take for istance the Patriot missile:

A great cover up by governments and Raytheon has surrounded the accuracy of their missiles, it was claimed that the Patriot, Tomahawk and JSOW were highly successful in the Gulf war and numerous pictures of missiles going down chimneys were shown. Initially the US army said the Patriot achieved an 80% success rate in Saudi Arabia and 50% in Israel. This was later reduced to 70% and 40% respectively. However a 10-month investigation in 1992 by the US House of Representatives Government Operations Subcommittee on Legislation and National Security concluded that there was little evidence to prove that the Patriot hit more than a few of the scud missiles launched.

Another 1992 investigation by the General Accounting Office found that only 9% of Patriot-Scud engagements could be proved to end in a 'kill'. Except in those 9% of cases the army could only prove that the Patriots came close to the scuds, not that they destroyed them. Both reports stated that the Patriot chasing Scud television pictures were misleading as most were only damaging scuds or pushing them off course. In Israel/Palestine the amount of damage and number of casualties increased after the Patriots were deployed there.

If you search further, however, you will also find out that the missile were doomed to be shoddy because so were the the resistors of Philips Electronics:

Philips Electronics North America Corporation will pay the United States $65.3 million to settle claims Philips sold improperly tested capacitors and resistors to the government for a number of military and aerospace programs, the Department of Justice announced today. [...] Resistors and capacitors are key electronic components in a number of military and aerospace systems, including aircraft, missiles, satellites and radar systems. The Department said the government was not aware of any field failures of such systems attributed to Philips's resistors and capacitors. [...] Philips admitted that "in a significant number of instances" its Florida facility falsified test reports for capacitors and failed to report when the capacitors failed tests. Philips also admitted that certain assembly and testing processes that were required to be performed in its Florida facility actually were performed in a factory in the Dominican Republic. [...] Philips also admitted that its Texas facility sold resistors that were tested improperly, falsified some resistor test results and failed to report resistor test failures. Last June, Philips pleaded guilty to 18 criminal counts in connection with these claims and paid the government $9 million in criminal fines. Those fines are not included in today's $65.3 million civil settlement.

(By the way, the CEO of PE, Jan Timmer, was nicknamed "Hurricane" after firing 45,000 workers during his first 18 months as CEO)

It doesn't stop there. Teledyne, Inc. failed to accurately test the A4 front end module of the IFF; failed to perform the "burn-in" of units as required by the contract; manipulated the testing and calibration of the units to achieve acceptable results; and permitted employees waiting for work assignments to charge their idle time to the government. Also, Teledyne was contracted to repair military aircraft engine parts and to maintain inventories of parts to be used on military planes. According to the relator, Teledyne did not maintain accurate inventory levels and concealed the shortages through a number of schemes which included destroying records. In addition, the relator claims that Teledyne used some of the parts owned by the government to repair commercial aircraft and sold other government parts to commercial entities.

General Electric Company agreed to pay the Government $7.18 million to settle a Qui Tam suit filed by Ian Johnson, an electrical engineer at the company's Evendale, Ohio aircraft engine plant. General Electric was accused of failing to satisfy electrical bonding requirements in its contracts, thereby creating a safety risk in the engines of commercial planes and military aircraft such as the F-16 fighter and B-1B bombers of not having undergone proper testing for resistance to electrical interference. Although the Air Force and FAA found no safety problems, the company would still have been liable under the False Claims Act.

Hughes Aircraft Co. Inc. failed to perform tests on components used in military electronic equipment and paid $4,050,000.

Lucas Industries, a British corporation and two U.S. subsidiaries (LWI) paid the Government $88,000,000 to settle a Qui Tam suit brought by Frederick Copeland, a machinist who formerly worked for the company. Copeland accused LWI of falsifying gear charts for a key component of the Navy's F/A18 Hornet and major defects in gearboxes for the Army's Multiple Launch rocket system. One of the subsidiaries, Lucas Western, pleaded guilty to 37 counts of making false certifications to the Department of Defense that gearboxes for Navy fighter jets and Army rocket launchers had been fully inspected in accordance with contractual requirements when they had not. The investigators had suggested that the gearboxes supplied by Lucas were responsible for aborted missions, system failures and engine fires. A criminal fine of $18.5 million was paid by Lucas Western, and Lucas Industries was barred from receiving new Government contracts.

Beside this there is even lobbism.

There won't be a working missile defense for a simple reason: profit margin. One just has to accept reality that things won't never work they way they told you. On the other hand though all this research and development on missile defense will be paid by taxpayers and then a new technology will be avalaible for free for the private to gain profit, the same way as space tourism started as a Nasa project.

"You have a survivability of command and control, survivability of industrial potential, protection of a percentage of your citizens, and you have a capability that inflicts more damage on the opposition than it can inflict on you. "

Vice-President George Bush, on how to win a nuclear war

This is the real missile defense. Make no illusions, they can't protect everyone.

As for the Japanese, I heard they have even a pill that prevent their crapping from smell. They think sweat is obscene, so at the end they have the problem that they have a low birth rate. I think this cell phone technology is useless if used that way, but maybe would be great for something else.

FV

You guys should try the new Wario game (it called "twisted" in the states) and it already uses this tech. then you'll see it's not meant for phones, but for games :p The new Yoshi game has this too.

So put it in a game machine.

Besides which, there's very few games that are well-suited to the technology. At least, on a portable device.

Their example of swinging the phone like a glof club comes in very handy for elaboration. You can't SEE while you're swinging.

That's a good idea, especially for drivers. You know when they bring this to the states in a little while you'll snap it up. :p

I'd go for the street fighter moves myself. :p

Are you kidding? Drivers are poor enough when they're just talking on the thing. Last thing we need is them flailing around first. Drivers need to wait until they park their damn cars before getting on the phone. Yeah, it's actually possible to drive without talking on the cell phone. Rumor has it, before the things were invented, people did it all the time.