My new pet Tachikoma

Here she is... 1/18 scale Samurai Monkey limited model... Fully built & painted.

For those who were waiting to see, this is what the kit looks like finished. The spray can is for size comparison, and the color is TS-44 from Tamiya, which is what I used on this little bugger. I was initially worried about balance issues with the weight of the fridge, but no such thing: the kit is stable as all hell, even with just tiny brass pins.

Where can you get one like this? Easy.

http://www.samurai-monkey.com

post-26-1106617887_thumb.jpg

If you have any 1/18 figures, you can already display them with the Tachi. I had contemplated doing a fully opened cockpit as an update kit if this base model sells well enough.

For the existing kit, those daring enough can very easily put LEDs in place of the red lights on the cockpit pod; there's plenty of room for wiring and lights inside the cockpit module :ph34r:

That paint job is perfect. It's obvious you're a pro.

One observation and it's not a negative one. It looks like it's gonna fall over. Maybe the angle of the shots has something to do with it but the center of gravity seems to be slightly behind the back legs. Does it stand up easily on its own?

Sorry if it's a stupid question... :ph34r:

As per what I stated in the first post (above), there are no balance issues with the model whatsoever. I had built it with a slight foreward slant (see side pic above) as a precaution to prevent it from falling on its a$$, but it seems it wasn't necessary at all, as the center of gravity is well foreward of the rear legs.

If anything, the builder has a very wide lattitude of posing possibilities, and for what it's worth, the parts are pre-molded in their proper colors, meaning that there's pretty much no masking needed to paint it, and even if you want to just display it in dry-fit prior to painting, it'll still look nifty B))

post-26-1106627779_thumb.jpg

Please tell me you ship internationally?

Well, considering that Rob is in Japan, and Cap is in Canada. I would say there's a pretty good chance that they'll ship internationally... ;)

Well that sounds hopefull. :)

Actually, it's the first I've heard of these guys so I have no idea where they are.

I wonder how difficult it's going to be to modify the leg joints to receive ball joints... hrmm...

no more difficult than hollowing out the main thigh socket and plugging a B-Joint in there; essentially, quite easy. However, I'd advise against it since I don't think that PVC ball-joints will cope very well with the weight of the model. Not so much that it'll fall on its back, but rather the feet will tend to want to spread-out while the knees'll buckle inward, causing it to fall flat on its "belly".

since when was $74.99 affordable... :blink:

Since a similar 70-part, all molded-in-color free-pose LIMITED resin kit would easily run you double that much from a japanese GK firm.

The $75.00 price tag is only good for another 3 weeks anyway, then the price jumps to $100, which is more reasonnable for all the ungodly hours I'm putting on this project.