PSP Official Discussion thread.

bandit29

the safer way with electronics is dont spray on the device directly but onto a rag then wipe on the screen.

Right. As I mentioned before, the surface of the front of the PSP isn't actually the LCD surface. Rather, most of the unit's face is under one uniform layer of plastic. As long as you're careful around the buttons and the UMD drive, you should be alright to wipe the front with a damp cloth.

Use Anit-static Screen Cleaning Wipes (the LCD Safe ones). You can clean the whole unit with those things. Great for all kinds of electroinc cleaning.

Edited by Anubis

the safer way with electronics is dont spray on the device directly but onto a rag then wipe on the screen.

Right. As I mentioned before, the surface of the front of the PSP isn't actually the LCD surface. Rather, most of the unit's face is under one uniform layer of plastic. As long as you're careful around the buttons and the UMD drive, you should be alright to wipe the front with a damp cloth.

Most electronic devices I've seen recommend a damp cloth, regardless of how well sealed the case is.

For those of you who are surfing the net on your PSP, try out GameTab's portal. It seems a little bit faster and set up a little better as well. Just use 66.98.192.68 as your Primary DNS instead of the other mentioned earlier in this thread.

This portal has some extra features such as links to mobile versions of gmail lite, yahoo mail, weather ... it even has a method to return to the portal homepage at any time (definitely better for surfing purposes).

You can check out the layout here:

GameTab PSP Portal

Oh yeah, as a tip, when surfing, go to your power settings in your PSP and turn off the WLAN POWER SAVE feature. It'll drain your battery a lil faster, but it enhances overall speed.

Edited by Valkyrie23

After trying about 15 times with frustation, I finally got the protective film to stay perfectly aligned without any dust, air bubbles or fingerprints.

First, take you PSP to the bathroom and wipe the screen with the very soft cloth that came with it and make sure you take every single spark of dust. . Wash the film on the sink very well, rubbing it with your fingers if you need. Remove, and shake the film in a safe direction away from your PSP like a Polaroid to get most of the water drops out for about 30 seconds, and quickly apply the film on the PSP. Don't worry about air bobbles or little water drops; you will deal with them later. The important thing is not getting any dust under the film.

Give it about 5 minutes, get the soft cloth and GENTLY push the water drops and air outside the film. You can use you thumb as well, since you can always clean the film later. If you are having problems pushing the air out try t buff in a circular motion to break the bobbles in smaller parts and make it move it around a little bit. This method works the best for a perfect dust free film. I find the bathroom to be the best place to perform the “operation” because it is a carpet free environment and the humidity there makes the dust particles wet and heavy, so there is less dust flying around.

Edited by Limbo

Hey just curious, stuck in my lil Memory stick, never fromatted it, but my game saves aren't in that memory stick right? Cause I was going to put in 2 or 3 MP3's and some pictures tonight.

Hey just curious, stuck in my lil Memory stick, never fromatted it, but my game saves aren't in that memory stick right? Cause I was going to put in 2 or 3 MP3's and some pictures tonight.

Not sure exactly what you mean, but if you never formatted it, and you still saved games on it, it's fine. You just need to create the rest of the directories yourself.

When browsing the PSP's Memory Stick (for the sake of discussion, let's say your PC named it 'I'), you should have two folders.

I:\MP_ROOT

I:\PSP

Unless you want to watch movies, you don't need the MP_ROOT folder. (For those of you that do want to watch movies, there should be another folder inside, I:\MP_ROOT\100MNV01, and all of your movie files go in there. Remember, they must be in the mp4 format, and they must be named M4Vxxxxx.mp4 where xxxxx is the number of your movie. If you have two movies, they would be M4V00001.mp4 and M4V00002.mp4).

Inside the PSP folder, there should be four folders (if you already have save data, the PSP must have created one of them already).

I:\PSP\GAME

I:\PSP\MUSIC

I:\PSP\PHOTO

I:\PSP\SAVEDATA

Pretty self explanitory. GAME is where games that can load from the Memory Stick (like future Emulators) would go. MUSIC is where you put your mp3s, and PHOTO is where you put your jpg files. SAVEDATA should be the one that's already there, and that's where your game save files and your Network Settings file go.

I just wasn't sure if there was an actual built in memory system in the PSP or if all my saved stuff was going into that Memory Stick that comes with the system....I heard somewhere you had to format the Memory stick so you can put files into it...so I wasn't sure if my saved games were in the stick or in something built into the PSP.

I just wasn't sure if there was an actual built in memory system in the PSP or if all my saved stuff was going into that Memory Stick that comes with the system....I heard somewhere you had to format the Memory stick so you can put files into it...so I wasn't sure if my saved games were in the stick or in something built into the PSP.

Oh, right... no, like I explained, your save game stuff goes on the Memory Stick.

If creating the folders by hand doesn't work for you for mp3s and what not, try moving your game save data to your PC, then format the Memory Stick and move it back. ;)

Edited by mikeszekely

Remember, Sony created the modern paradigm of no onboard save capability. They aren't going to back off now and give up the metric buttloads of cash to be made off proprietary Flash RAM cards(MemoryStick is semi-proprietary. No one but Sony uses it, though they use it on more than the PSP, so they have to be priced somewhat more competitively).

So, if I had the desire too, and since I dont have the PSP yet so I cant answer this myself....how big would our favorite Macross shows big to put on a Memory stick?

Macross Zero(all 5 eps)

Macross DYRL

Macross Plus Movie Edition?

Might be good to know so that we know how much space we need to get these on the stick....

Twich

So, if I had the desire too, and since I dont have the PSP yet so I cant answer this myself....how big would our favorite Macross shows big to put on a Memory stick?

Macross Zero(all 5 eps)

Macross DYRL

Might be good to know so that we know how much space we need to get these on the stick....

Twich

Roughly twice whatever you have at the time is.

It's the unwritten rule of media.

Someone put up a picture of the 2GB memory stick a few pages back. Apparently it's out now and the MSRP on that thing is about $450.

hmm I don't see many people going to fork over that much for a mem stick for a psp, that plus a 2 GB stick is enough for a descent quality laptop maybe in a couple years but then psp2 would be out and people would be buying micro hardrives for them.

Okay, just got my PSP today.....I am trying to get the thing to connect to the updater. I inputed all the info, my ip, DNS, all that other stuff, and I guess it works when I set up the network info, but then when I try to get a update it gives me an error, either DNS error or some number code error.

I think it is asking me for a WEP, but how do I get that info? I am not too computer saavy when it comes to that. I didnt set up my wireless router, my friend did. I have no clue about it, other than it works.

I dont think there is a update for me to get, but it would be nice to know that I have that option should I need to download a update in the future.

I have a LinkSYS 802.11G wireless router.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Twich

and I have a white dead pixel..dammit... luckily its in the corner. Its not that noticebale though.

Doesn't Sony replace PSP units with dead pixels?

Sometimes. Maybe. They're encouraging people to play with their PSPs to see if any dead pixels bother them, and if they do, they'll handle it on a case-by-case basis. Almost everyone I know with a PSP that has a dead pixel, both personally and on the boards, has stated that their dead pixel doesn't bother them.

Okay, just got my PSP today.....I am trying to get the thing to connect to the updater. I inputed all the info, my ip, DNS, all that other stuff, and I guess it works when I set up the network info, but then when I try to get a update it gives me an error, either DNS error or some number code error.

I think it is asking me for a WEP, but how do I get that info? I am not too computer saavy when it comes to that. I didnt set up my wireless router, my friend did. I have no clue about it, other than it works.

I dont think there is a update for me to get, but it would be nice to know that I have that option should I need to download a update in the future.

I have a LinkSYS 802.11G wireless router.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Twich

Tell the PSP to figure out everything automatically, and make sure your router is set to "Mixed B/G" mode since the PSP doesn't work with G.

Macross Zero(all 5 eps)

Macross DYRL

Twich

I have a 512 MB stick, and while I haven't actually tried getting any Macross on it yet, I've found that the 512 is good for about an hour and a half of video, depending on the settings you use to convert your video files and the size of the orignal video file itself.

Screw $450 2GB Memory Sticks. Last I checked, they're Duo PRO High Speed (which the PSP can read, but only as a regular PRO), and are more suited for professional digital photography. I'm just going to hang in there for another month. Then Gamestop will start to carry the 1GB for around $150.

twitch: you can find your WEP info by going into your router setup. It should be in your manual. I think it's 192.168.xxx.xxx to get into your router setup. Then you can set up WEP passwords and encryption in there. Input your WEP password into your PSP and you should be good to go. OR you can disable WEP and use MAC(not affiliated with Apple) filtering. After you've set up your MAC filters I believe you can now turn off your SSID broadcast but your wireless machines should still connect. I think. Your router manual should provide all of the information to set up all of the above.

I've got one dead green pixel in the top right corner. It's literally within five pixels of the corner. Not worth returning/replacing since it's in a corner and really really really not noticable and I'm really happy with the unit.

PSP Ridge Racer is fun. :D

In case none of you have seen this on various deal sites, Dell Home has

1gb Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo's for sale $95.19. Since its Dell Home, no tax

for most states (one exception being CA, sucks ). Get em while they last! I just

ordered mine...

Dell Home - 1gb Mem Stick Pro Duo

Finally, I can start putting episodes of 24 and Scrubs on my PSP

Edited by Valkyrie23

for most states (one exception being CA, sucks ). Get em while they last! I just

ordered mine...

Great...now there's gonna be about 200 of us pouncing Dell for those 1gig memory sticks... :rolleyes:

1gb Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo's for sale $95.19.  Since its Dell Home, no tax

for most states (one exception being CA, sucks ).  Get em while they last!  I just

ordered mine...

Great...now there's gonna be about 200 of us pouncing Dell for those 1gig memory sticks... :rolleyes:

I'm not... people I know have had problems with Dell. That and, since I live in an apartment, I'm leery of ordering expensive stuff and then having the mailman leave it in front of my door. Or worse, UPS. Twice now the UPS guy in charge of my area had marked that he attempted delivery and no one was home, but since I track my packages, I had been deliberately sitting at home waiting. On one of those occasions, he did bring it the next day after I complained to his supervisor. On the other occasion, I had to drive a half hour out of my way to go pick up my package at their HQ. Again, complained to the supervisor.

My sister (who lives in Oxnard) called me up this morning to ask me if there were any PSPs in the area since she wanted to get it for my nephew's birthday which was yesterday (she's been looking for it for a few days before she called)...he pretty much sacrificed a b-day party so he could get one :rolleyes: ... I went to the local Wal-Mart and found nothing...It's still too early to call BestBuy...So i was wondering if any of you guys here on the Central Coast know where i could find one?....I really don't want to go to my friend who's in the AirForce but I will contact him as a last resort...ehh...my nephew's a little smart-ass for someone just turning 11 <_< can't see why my sister wants to get him a PSP

EDIT: My sister ended up finding a PSP at the Toys R Us in Ventura...thanks anyways :lol:

Edited by Dat Pinche Haro!

ordered mine...

Finally, I can start putting episodes of 24 and Scrubs on my PSP

Ordered one this morning.

;)

Great deal!

for most states (one exception being CA, sucks ).  Get em while they last!  I just

ordered mine...

I'm not... people I know have had problems with Dell. That and, since I live in an apartment, I'm leery of ordering expensive stuff and then having the mailman leave it in front of my door. Or worse, UPS. Twice now the UPS guy in charge of my area had marked that he attempted delivery and no one was home, but since I track my packages, I had been deliberately sitting at home waiting. On one of those occasions, he did bring it the next day after I complained to his supervisor. On the other occasion, I had to drive a half hour out of my way to go pick up my package at their HQ. Again, complained to the supervisor.

With UPS, I always just take the notice that they leave on my door, punch in the "info notice" number on the UPS website, and redirect the shipment to my workplace (or friend's workplace) address. This method always seems to work for me. If you want, you can also call in and speak to someone to have the package re-direct shipments to alternate addresses.

ordered mine...

You're probably right - my expected ship date is 4/22

So for those of you who are considering ordering, be aware of possible backorders. Dell has been good for me so far, they have never taken too long to fulfill backorders. But honestly, for this price, its worth the wait.

I am getting. 

Error

Sorry, the item that you are trying to add to cart does not exist for this store.

I maybe too late.

Yep, thats usually the Dell sign for 'sold out'

Keep checking though, some items at their site usually pop back randomly as they fulfill a certain amount of orders.

Just act faster next time, and don't worry, I'll keep an eye out for similar deals and post them for my fellow Macross homies ;)

Edited by Valkyrie23

So I turn on my PSP today and I got a single stuck white pixel on the top of the screen. It happened overnight.

It is almost unnoticeable, but I gotta say... I can't NOT look at it every time a black screen comes. In a moment of weakness I start rubbing it with a q-tip and even turn PSP upside down for a while. I'm trying to "suck it up" and deal with it... it is not dead, it may come back... and I read about dozes of people here who got like 5 pixels dead/stuck and could care less... Am I shallow enough to return it for a single stuck pixel? Probably not... I'm actually afraid of getting another one with more dead/stuck pixels on it!

I know it is stupid, but I can't stop thinking about that fricking stuck pixel. :////////////////

So I turn on my PSP today and I got a single stuck white pixel on the top of the screen. It happened overnight.

It is almost unnoticeable, but I gotta say... I can't NOT look at it every time a black screen comes. In a moment of weakness I start rubbing it with a q-tip and even turn PSP upside down for a while. I'm trying to "suck it up" and deal with it... it is not dead, it may come back... and I read about dozes of people here who got like 5 pixels dead/stuck and could care less... Am I shallow enough to return it for a single stuck pixel? Probably not... I'm actually afraid of getting another one with more dead/stuck pixels on it!

I know it is stupid, but I can't stop thinking about that fricking stuck pixel. :////////////////

Its part of your consumer rights to be pissed about it. For the price you paid you should demand a perfect screen, Companies are here to make money so if people act like girly men and take it up the back end, they would gladly do so harder next time.