STAR WARS EP III PICS

Mechleader

looks like Obiwan chases Grevious on some sort of lizard, i wonder how that is going to look in the film.

:lol:

Man.... I've been waiting for like 6 years for this damn movie and its soooo close I can taste it!

yea i agree i am so looking forward to this film i hope it turns out well, if george does not screw up this could turn out to be the best film of the new trilogy. which is what i would like to see.

i had always wondered about Palpatines face, can he revert back and forth between the human face and the evil Darth Sidious face when he chooses? does anyone know? he must because they show him repeatedly through out the new trilogy as both human and sith form.

Edited by zeo-mare

Palpatine looks like crap in that pic.

Palpatine looks like crap in that pic.

More like after he discovered the Force hidden in potato chips. :p

OMFG and look at the cheap lightsabre effects! CHILDHOOD RAPE ALERT!!

So any pointy nosed, twin engined ship is an SR-71 now? Come on.. that's like the people that said the Hulk looked like Shrek. As for the previous designs being iconic... well sure... I'll give you that, though they're nothing really special I suppose if I wanted a hunk of metal to take me around the galaxy it would be a SW ship. The OT and the PT are supposed to look different, so it makes sense that they got a person that disliked the OT designs. Helps establish how different things were back in the day.

Considering that Slave 1 was inspired by the shape on an antique streetlight, I don't see the big deal. Desides, the Naboo liner was a mix of the B-2, a B-52 with a bit of oldschool radial engine rumble added into the sound mix. And as for arguments of art deco versus the old McQuarrie/Johnston industrial look, as we've already seen that design aesthetic has already reared its intentionally ugly head in AOTC and moreso in ROTS. Or to put it more bluntly...

Prequel Trilogy

Mercedes_300SL.jpg

Original Trilogy

1986chryslerreliantkcar.jpg

See the difference?

Edited by bsu legato

I do like Palpatine's compact lightsaber at least. That thing looks almost half- size the norm.

The OT and the PT are supposed to look different, so it makes sense that they got a person that disliked the OT designs. Helps establish how different things were back in the day.

Not sure I agree that this is the natural and obvious solution for getting something "different", especially when visual evolution and continuity needs to be implied-- ie, It doesn't make sense to pick someone with a different sense of aesthetics, just for the sake of "different".

It's entirely possible to pick a concept artist who appreciates the original designs, and yet aims to design something different and unique-- while still maintaining a similar "feel", to give the impression that there's some sort of continuity and theme. Chiang succeeded on a few designs, and failed on some others-- the ones that failed all felt out of place, unoriginal (ironic considering the intent to get away from the old designs) and largely forgettable, at least IMO.

And at least in my funny way of thinking, it doesn't make sense to pick someone that disliked the original designs to design things for a fanbase that liked them.

And in the end, regardless of how we criticze or justify Chiangs' design decisions, what remains is the strength of the art direction and designs themselves... and I simply feel them to be much weaker, less cohesive, and less compelling than those in the OT.

Considering that Slave 1 was inspired by the shape on an antique streetlight, I don't see the big deal.

Taking inspiration from something else is part of the design process. But a design's weakness because apparent when it's easily recognizable as derivative of something else (another ship/craft no less, not just an obscure light fixture), while contributing little that's unique and iconic on its own. I'd put both Nabooian ships in the latter category, while I'd never for once looked at the Slave I and thought "Hey! Ripoff of a streetlight!"

-Al

Edited by Sundown

Considering that Slave 1 was inspired by the shape on an antique streetlight

I always thought that Slave 1 was inspired by an Elephants head.

Graham

Does someone realized that the federation tank from episode 1 , is a copy of the slave 1?

just compare the form and details ...

my opinion , of course ....

And as for arguments of art deco versus the old McQuarrie/Johnston industrial look, as we've already seen that design aesthetic has already reared its intentionally ugly head in AOTC and moreso in ROTS. Or to put it more bluntly...

Prequel Trilogy

Mercedes_300SL.jpg

Original Trilogy

1986chryslerreliantkcar.jpg

See the difference?

I've been saying this very same thing about the design asthetic, minus the pictures, since Episode I. So many people always dismissed my car analogy, but there it is, in full colour!