STAR WARS EP III PICS

Mechleader

not sure about this one?

looks like there are 2 jedi battling (in the distant) with light sabers at the end of a massive metal bridge over a planet of lava. there is alot of stuff mentioned about a battle on a lava style planet they even show a few bits of it in the trailer , we think this is where anakin gets his body damaged ( possibly at the hands of Obi-wan) to the point where he needs the mechanical vader suit. i agree with Duke if there are any spoilers let us now before hand.

Edited by zeo-mare

or some sort of dramatic shot to show the scope of the battle and terrain, as two former friends fight a desperate battle as volcano's go off all around.

Droid: "The results of our scan show there to be three beings inside the womb. One male human, one female human and one Gungan who's sex is yet to be determined."

Yoda: "Unexpected this is."

theend.jpg

Edited by eriku

Droid: So how do you plan to tell Anakin the kids are really Obi-Wan's?

Yoda: The shroud of the darkside has fallen. Pissed he will be indeed.

theend.jpg

Edited by Anubis

i agree with Duke if there are any spoilers let us now before hand.

Same here, especially the duel between Anakin and Obiwan !

I kond of disagree. The very nature of this thread is chock full of spoilers. If you don't want spoilers don't click on a thread that says "Episode 3 PICS." Having Spoiler warnings posted every two posts will make this too difficult to read, and unnecessary since everyone know this thread is full of spoilers anyway.

I kond of disagree. The very nature of this thread is chock full of spoilers. If you don't want spoilers don't click on a thread that says "Episode 3 PICS." Having Spoiler warnings posted every two posts will make this too difficult to read, and unnecessary since everyone know this thread is full of spoilers anyway.

I don`t mind spoilers but ONLY a pic of Anakin after the duel with Obiwan !

And as for arguments of art deco versus the old McQuarrie/Johnston industrial look, as we've already seen that design aesthetic has already reared its intentionally ugly head in AOTC and moreso in ROTS. Or to put it more bluntly...

Prequel Trilogy

Mercedes_300SL.jpg

Original Trilogy

1986chryslerreliantkcar.jpg

See the difference?

I've been saying this very same thing about the design asthetic, minus the pictures, since Episode I. So many people always dismissed my car analogy, but there it is, in full colour!

The car analogy is perfect. Seems to be why those dissin the PT designs haven't touched it. :) While I do love the old designs, I like the sporty, refined look of the PT. The OT was so influential that for the duration of the 80s it seems nobody knew how to design a ship any other way - Gray with otherwise dull features. At least with the movie I saw. Now there's awesome looking ships abound.

Not sure I agree that this is the natural and obvious solution for getting something "different", especially when visual evolution and continuity needs to be implied-- ie, It doesn't make sense to pick someone with a different sense of aesthetics, just for the sake of "different".

See the car analogy.

It's entirely possible to pick a concept artist who appreciates the original designs, and yet aims to design something different and unique-- while still maintaining a similar "feel", to give the impression that there's some sort of continuity and theme.  Chiang succeeded on a few designs, and failed on some others-- the ones that failed all felt out of place, unoriginal (ironic considering the intent to get away from the old designs) and largely forgettable, at least IMO.

Considering they're from DIFFERENT PLANETS lol. I have no problems getting a similar feel from the stuff in the PT. Its just a matter of geography and time period. We didn't even encounter many planets in the until the PT.

And at least in my funny way of thinking, it doesn't make sense to pick someone that disliked the original designs to design things for a fanbase that liked them.

They're designed for GL, not the fanbase. They're sellin toys and Legos like hotcakes, despite this opinion. :)

And in the end, regardless of how we criticze or justify Chiangs' design decisions, what remains is the strength of the art direction and designs themselves... and I simply feel them to be much weaker, less cohesive, and less compelling than those in the OT.

Well, you're entitled and there's really nothing anyone can do. Its fun to discuss though! :)

Taking inspiration from something else is part of the design process.  But a design's weakness because apparent when it's easily recognizable as derivative of something else (another ship/craft no less, not just an obscure light fixture), while contributing little that's unique and iconic on its own.  I'd put both Nabooian ships in the latter category, while I'd never for once looked at the Slave I and thought "Hey!  Ripoff of a streetlight!"

I really don't think you're being fair to the Naboo ships at all. Its not a ripoff of a street light, but Slave I looks more like a streetlight than the Naboo cruiser or whatever looks like an SR-71. That's like saying ANY ship with a long pointy nose and twin engines is a rip off of the SR-71 which is just ridiculous. Its like saying the Hulk looks like Shrek dammit! Its just really reaching.

This

ship.jpg

is not

sr71-8.jpg

You missed my point. I would say just about everything posted here is fairly common knowledge if you are a Star Wars fan. My worry is about extreme spoilers, big time secrets or perhaps pictures that may spoil a good scene or a surprise. If someone had come out in '80 and spoiled the whole Darth Vader father thing, I would have killed them. That's a major saga spoiler. That's what I mean.

You missed my point. I would say just about everything posted here is fairly common knowledge if you are a Star Wars fan. My worry is about extreme spoilers, big time secrets or perhaps pictures that may spoil a good scene or a surprise. If someone had come out in '80 and spoiled the whole Darth Vader father thing, I would have killed them. That's a major saga spoiler. That's what I mean.

Duke is right. Don't post spoilers here. TheForce.net has a forum dedicated to that so people that can't live w/o spoilers can go there.

I don't get the uproar over the spoilers. Seeing that this movies is a prequel to a story that we all know how its going to end. We already know which characters will be around for the OT and which ones are going to bit the dust. Anything that happens inbetween is inconsequential b/c it doesn't affect the overall story. <_<

Don't be stupid, we don't know the details and you don't know that any of it is inconsequential. OF course it doesn't effect the overall outcome, but movies wouldn't be very fun if all they showed were the things in the end. This is the other half of the story, of course it has an effect. Not on you, but on the characters. We're learning a lot about the history of Vader, The Republic, and the Empire.

I've personally had things spoiled for me in this thread. I'm not really upset about it, but I'd prefer not to take my chances.

someone who clicks on this thread....and doesnt expect spoilers,,

...is a little thin on brains!!!! :(

if you dont want a look at possible spoilers ..what are you doing here????????????

my advise too people who DON'T want spoilers...click on threads that DON'T say EPISODE 3 PICS. . ....am i making sense too anyone yet? ;););)

>>>some people are just dim on clues i guess :p:p:p

This

ship.jpg

is not

sr71-8.jpg

My friend... where can I get some of the poo you're smoking?

It's very clear that the Naboo ship there was inspired by the Blackbird. Twin engines, mounted in wing, smooth lines all around, and long tapering nose.

Yes, there's also a number of differences, but I feel you're deluding yourself if you actually believe that the SR-71 isn't the basis of that (Heck there's SR-71 variants that look less like the Blackbird than the Naboo ship.)

Street lamp?

This

ship.jpg

is not

sr71-8.jpg

My friend... where can I get some of the poo you're smoking?

It's very clear that the Naboo ship there was inspired by the Blackbird. Twin engines, mounted in wing, smooth lines all around, and long tapering nose.

Yes, there's also a number of differences, but I feel you're deluding yourself if you actually believe that the SR-71 isn't the basis of that (Heck there's SR-71 variants that look less like the Blackbird than the Naboo ship.)

Street lamp?

So by your logic I guess all cars look the same too? All cars are inspired by the same basic design. All cars share MORE characteristics than those 2 designs.

I can see that they share A FEW features, but not enough for me to say inspired by. Hell, by your logic we could say that it was based on the FREAKIN CONCORDE or even Boeng's Bird of Prey with just as many shared features. Hell, the one in the second one must be a rip off of the B-2. Its like saying the YF-19 is a rip-off of the X-29. Oooooh... we're touching holy ground now.

Don't be stupid, we don't know the details and you don't know that any of it is inconsequential. OF course it doesn't effect the overall outcome, but movies wouldn't be very fun if all they showed were the things in the end. This is the other half of the story, of course it has an effect. Not on you, but on the characters. We're learning a lot about the history of Vader, The Republic, and the Empire.

I've personally had things spoiled for me in this thread. I'm not really upset about it, but I'd prefer not to take my chances.

Doesn't the title of this thread say Star Wars Episode III Pictures??? Anyone stupid enough to open that link and not find spoiler info deserves to be sent to Iraq and spend time with insurgents. Just Joking, but seriously the title is self explanatory. If you follow the link you deserve to have the movie spoiled for yourself. No one is forcing others to read the post made in the thread. You can simply ignore it. So lets not insult each others intelligence. We live in a info rich era. If you walk into a toy aisle at wal mart the Star Wars toys on display are going to spoil some of the upcoming movie for you. So my advice for those that don't want spoilers in their life, sell your computer, don't watch TV, listen to radio or conversations from friends and coworkers, and become a hermit. Not trying to flame or insult anyone but my position still stands.

The purpose of the prequels was to show Anakins transformation into Vader, the Fall of the Jediand the rise of the empire. Any fanboy off the streets could have told you how this was going to happen. It doesn't take rocket science to deduce that.

The pictures haven't spoiled a thing for me. They've only reinforced the fact that I'm going to see this film in a good theatre and thoroughly enjoy the experience. If its a really good movie I'll see it multiple times and buy the dvd release.

The pictures won't hold a candle to seeing Anakin go Ape S#@% on some Jedi on the big screen or General Grievous doing his thing or Anakin vs Obi One. I just hope the production team turns in its best work and surpases the lack luster efforts that were EP 1 and 2. Just my .02$.

Edited by Golden Arms

Doesn't the title of this thread say Star Wars Episode III Pictures??? Anyone stupid enough to open that link and not find spoiler info deserves to be sent to Iraq and spend time with insurgents. Just Joking, but seriously the title is self explanatory. If you follow the link you deserve to have the movie spoiled for yourself. No one is forcing others to read the post made in the thread. You can simply ignore it. So lets not insult each others intelligence. We live in a info rich era. If you walk into a toy aisle at wal mart the Star Wars toys on display are going to spoil some of the upcoming movie for you. So my advice for those that don't want spoilers in their life, sell your computer, don't watch TV, listen to radio or conversations from friends and coworkers, and become a hermit. Not trying to flame or insult anyone but my position still stands.

The purpose of the prequels was to show Anakins transformation into Vader, the Fall of the Jediand the rise of the empire. Any fanboy off the streets could have told you how this was going to happen. It doesn't take rocket science to deduce that.

So what? There's still a great deal of story to it. If its not worth discussing then why do so many Star Wars fans FLOCK to theforce.net to talk about all of this? Why have a spoiler and a non-spoiler forum? Why even watch any of the prequels to begin with since we all know what's going to happen? It doesn't matter right? Just take that discussion elsewhere man.

You can post pics of the movie without them being spoiled. Stuff that's implied by the other films is ok. Stuff that is not... is not. Its a marvelous system I assure you. That's my position I share with Duke... and well Good... bad.... I'm the guy with the delete button....:p

You know there is an easy fix to this "posting spoilers" problem.

Next time you wanna post spoiler text (images can be hosted off site), use the "color=white" font-tag. If they wanna read it, they'll have to highlight the text. Granted that the only skin in-use is the standard Invision skin with the white background at this moment.

All you have to do is

Test spoiler material (highlight to read): The only way to read this is to highlight it.

Simple as that. Unfortunately it's too late since there have been tons of spoilers already posted here.

You know there is an easy fix to this "posting spoilers" problem.

Next time you wanna post spoiler text (images can be hosted off site), use the "color=white" font-tag. If they wanna read it, they'll have to highlight the text. Granted that the only skin in-use is the standard Invision skin with the white background at this moment.

All you have to do is

Test spoiler material (highlight to read): The only way to read this is to highlight it.

Simple as that. Unfortunately it's too late since there have been tons of spoilers already posted here.

See? A solution has presented itself already. Good call Azrael.

See the car analogy.

The analogy's fine, and I know that's sort of what they were going for, hence the hot rod speeders and the diner scene. But regardless of how we explain away those designs, they come across somewhat weak visually, IMO.

It feels too much as if someing tried too hard to do something "different" when they should have been paying more attention towards visual cohesion-- and that they drew too much from real life 50's and 60's influences which only jarred you out of immersion rather than making you believe it was something in a galaxy far, far away, that had an established "feel" for the last 20 years.

I did like a few of the trade federation designs (love the federation landing ship) and that red diplomatic ship in the beginning of EPI. That particular ship showed evolution, and looked like it fit into the universe 20-30 years prior.

Considering they're from DIFFERENT PLANETS lol. I have no problems getting a similar feel from the stuff in the PT. Its just a matter of geography and time period. We didn't even encounter many planets in the until the PT.

McQuarrie succeeded in designing ships and equipment from different planets that felt different and yet had a cohesive feel. They just felt real and functional.

This could also be due to PT's mediocre CG, with less than photorealistic lighting models-- Most any CG stillframe from the PT screams CG. But again, regardless of how we expalin things away, it can be argued that the designs by themselves simply aren't very strong. But that's a largely subjective thing, at least to some extent.

They're designed for GL, not the fanbase. They're sellin toys and Legos like hotcakes, despite this opinion. :)

They sell because it's Star Wars. I think we can agree on that. At any rate, I'm more concerned about the designs aesthetically and thematically, and not merely their commercial viability. The two are hardly the same thing. I'll concede that the visual quality of the current designs are vaguely adequate for selling toys and merchandise. But that's not where my objection lies.

At any rate, I still argue that the quality of Star Wars started to decline when Lucas no longer had to listen to others, and started to design, write, change, and edit only for himself.

I can see that they share A FEW features, but not enough for me to say inspired by. Hell, by your logic we could say that it was based on the FREAKIN CONCORDE or even Boeng's Bird of Prey with just as many shared features. Hell, the one in the second one must be a rip off of the B-2. Its like saying the YF-19 is a rip-off of the X-29. Oooooh... we're touching holy ground now.

It's not oddball logic taken to an extreme that causes one to deduce that the SR-71 could have been the inspiration to the Nabooian transport. It's simply intuition, right or wrong, as both craft have a very similar feel, and share many major primary design elements. But I think you know that-- else you wouldn't be bringing up the Concorde in hopes of showing the silliness of that logic. If merely passing and coincidental similarity in a few design features is really the weight of our argument regarding the two crafts' similarities, then your concorde example would have been lost on us, and we would have heartily agreed that the Nabooian transport is a rip off of the Concorde as well.

But we don't... so we obviously don't buy into that logic, and don't judge on the basis of a few coincidental similarities either.

At any rate, It's pretty obvious that the YF-19 was inspired in part by the X-29, the VF-1 inspired by the F-14, and the YF-22 the F-23. I don't think Kawamori would deny that.

I'll also pose that the fact that this whole argument even exists may attest to the Nabooian design's weakness, in bearing resemblance to something so recognizable, when IMO, Star Wars craft should almost and always differ drastically from craft of our own world. If so many folks think SR-71, when it's supposed to be a craft galaxies and eons away, then we may have a problem. I'm guessing this was the mindset the OT designers operated under, but George obviously doesn't hold to that now, in liberally drawing real world things and shoving them into Star Wars without making their origin unrecognizable first.

I really don't think you're being fair to the Naboo ships at all. Its not a ripoff of a street light, but Slave I looks more like a streetlight than the Naboo cruiser or whatever looks like an SR-71. That's like saying ANY ship with a long pointy nose and twin engines is a rip off of the SR-71 which is just ridiculous.

I'm exaggerating the resemblance to the SR-71, but take a gander. Move the windows forward a tad, paint black, and add tail fins. That's pretty darned close to a SR-71. At any rate, still not a fan of the design. The other Nabooian craft also does bear more than passing resemblance to many of the flying wing aircraft designs.

Last I checked, streetlights don't have little side vanes, don't have a glass canopy, don't have a mounted gun, and don't rotate in different modes of operation. And it remains that I never, ever, drew the connection between the Slave I and a streetlamp when I'd first saw it, nor the many years afterward until I'd actually read about where the inspiration for the shape came from. That's strikes me as a more successful use of inspiration over imitation.

At any rate, I still think that the strength of the OT designs lie in that nearly none of the craft designs bore any resemblance to any craft that exist in real life, yet manage to appear functional, believable, and viable somehow. They succeeded in jointly creating the look of a viable universe that indeed looks far, far away. The PT has too many designs that bear too close a resemblance to something actually existing for my taste. Eh. *shrug*

In the end, viewing the OT, I see characters, sets, and vehicle designs that make for a believable and gritty universe onscreen. I don't get the same feel watching the PT. I don't quite see the same believable universe, nor a "more refined and civilized" one from an age past.

-Al

Edited by Sundown

Doesn't the title of this thread say Star Wars Episode III Pictures??? Anyone stupid enough to open that link and not find spoiler info deserves to be sent to Iraq and spend time with insurgents.

YAAPPMF

RE: the Naboo ship resemblance to the SR-71

Designers take inspiration from all sorts of things... some are springboards for designs that hardly resemble their original inspiration (or at least conceal their source of inspiration very effectively)... some clearly resemble their inpirational source.

Regarding the Naboo ship, let their be NO doubt the SR-71 inspired its design... and there is no shame in that. The Art of SW: TPM clearly states that Doug Chiang drew inspiration from modern supersonic aircraft *cough* SR-71 *cough* as well as chrome automotive hood ornaments from the 50s. Whether or not you like it is a matter of personal opinion. Personally, I don't like it... it simply looks like an excuse to show off ILM's chrome rendering capability. Meh. Anyone that has ever modeled speedforms in a beginning 3D modeling class has seen that.

Setting aside any issues I may have with the prequel trilogy's stories... my main problem with the prequels' aesthetics is that too many designs (ships, costumes, etc.) too clearly resemble their real-world counterparts from recent 20th century design history.

Doug Chiang is a helluva illustrator and movie SFX guy... but that's his background: Hollywood. McQuarrie spent most of entire career doing real, unglamerous technical design stuff in the aerospace industry. As such, his designs manage to trancend their inspiration and look functional; like they really worked. Chiang's illustrative design work effectively captures the Sci-Fi/ Saturday Mainee Serial/ Buck Rogers vibe that Lucas has imbibed the prequels with. McQuarrie's designs capture the gritty WWII vibe that Lucas wanted for the OT.

Again, which you prefer is simply a matter of personal taste.

For what it's worth, found this on imdb's Star War's trivial, too.

"The design of Queen Amidala's starship, in which she escapes Naboo with Qui-Gonn and Obi-Wan, was inspired by the Lockheed Martin SR-71 "Blackbird" reconnaissance jet."

McQuarrie spent most of entire career doing real, unglamerous  technical design stuff in the aerospace industry. As such, his designs manage to trancend their inspiration and look functional; like they really worked.

That's exactly the feel I get, Amped.  That the PT did away with much of the gritty WWII-ness that the OT possessed, and went with a sort of Retro Buck Rogers, Flash Gordan aesthetic.

The strength of McQuarrie's designs pulled viewers into the world-- because they looked like real, functional, operating things-- and yet looked like nothing anyone had ever seen before. I really miss that vibe in the PT.

Chiang's illustrative design work effectively captures the Sci-Fi/ Saturday Mainee Serial/ Buck Rogers vibe that Lucas has imbibed the prequels with. McQuarrie's designs capture the gritty WWII vibe that Lucas wanted for the OT.

Again, which you prefer is simply a matter of personal taste.

I can see Lucas's aim, in providing something different by injecting glitzy, glamorous, campy retro-fare. He'd always imagined Star Wars as Sci-Fi serials.

The problem here is that Sci-Fi serials, Buck Rogers, their retro look dates quickly... and when it's reemerges, it's brought back only for novelty's sake and then is quickly forgotten again-- while OT Star Wars design elements have remained iconic, believable, and has lasted this long precisely because it took the gritty approach, because it was not Buck Rogers fare-- and because WWII and its feel strikes a chord within our subconscious that won't likely fade in some time. Frankly I think Lucas abandoned one of the strongest things he had going for him in the OT... and I guess in my opinion, he should have relied more heavily on this same lived-in "feel", even as he was designing a more "civilized" world.

Man, its a movie, I don't care that much about it. You say its a chromed up SR-71... whatever. They're movies and I'd talked too much about them already. I'm just glad that I enjoy the films and I don't have your eyes. :p

I mean, where do we draw the line between originality and just being preposterous? Hell I could see the Naboo Royal craft actually functioning in an Atmosphere... not the millenium falcon... in fact its very inefficient for that. It would stand to reason that they would make them somewhat dynamic for the sake of efficiency.... whoever designed the OT ships didn't take that much into account. It strikes me as odd to because if he were so utilitarian then he would design them for atmospheric use as well wouldn't he? In the end though I don't like to hold them up to that much scrutiny because that ruins the enjoyment of the films. Talking like Comic Book Guy hurts my throat. :lol: