Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

1 minute ago, no3Ljm said:

And I'm definitely sure you're going to complete the Vermillion Squad. After all, one VF-1 in a 1/48 scale is not enough. Right, guys? :rolleyes:

NOOOOOO!  That is what I am afraid of.... collecting the entire DX 1/48 line. I know my OCD will make me want to complete the set.

*sigh* Now buyer's remorse is kicking in.

I wonder if I can trade DX TV Max for a 1/60 VF-11C... hmmm.....

1 minute ago, UN Spacy said:

Thats what folks said about Chuck’s 31 LOL.

chuck is so boring, not sure who's worse him or kaki. i can see Kaki TWE cause bandai don't want to risk over print. 

5 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Stop it, David! :lol:

awe man! got caught, i'll wait till next pre-order night. it's a good time killer during the 2 hour countdown till 16:00JST

Macross only accounts for a very small proportion of Bandai's sales, and so it is unlikely that they will allocate so much resources to managing the supply/demand of this line, and just issue enough to make sure there are no shelf warmers.  They don't really care if money is left on the table, because they can more than make up for the losses in other lines. 

*If the following seems salty, that's 1000% directed at Bandai*

So the question becomes: what's better for business?

1) Driving demand Via Artificial Scarcity [scalpers + limited production run] then, potentially, your customers getting pissed at you and voting with their wallets AGAINST you. While, admittedly, succeeding in selling your set amount of units? [ie: assuming future risk for no potential extra gain]

-OR-

2) Netting some good PR, While Maximizing Profit + potentially moving more units than you thought, and Satisfying your Customers [including retailers]... all at once?

As a Corporation, Maximization of Profit being the goal, nothing but option 2 makes sense... at least to me.

I'm assuming Bandai have a Manager/other staff in charge of the line, it's management and it's releases, which means they're already paying for people to manage this... 'cause it's their job. A Job they're not ding as well as they could be in my opinion.

Maybe I'm just too Ruthless a Businessman... but my math checks out:

'more units sold = more profit' Which, yes, balances against 'units sitting unsold on shelves looks bad'

Best part: The internet allows one to gather ACTUAL DATA/NUMBERS on this exact maximization... Doing it my way means a few e-mails and a calculator are all that's required [on Bandai's end] to ensure the former, while minimizing the latter... AND satisfied customers!

The only "money left on the table" is Mine, in my wallet, because I couldn't secure a PO.

Doing PO's the way they are, frankly, has left me feeling a little Insulted considering the proliferation of Scalpers and [suspected] Bots...

Did I mention I was salty about it? :5:

But hey, far be-it for me to tell other/fellow "Macross-ochists" how to spend their time/money.

P.S. Thought: I better not find out that Bandai have the same skeezy relationship with their scalpers that Ticketmaster has :ph34r: ................

Just now, Shizuka the Cat said:

NOOOOOO!  That is what I am afraid of.... collecting the entire DX 1/48 line. I know my OCD will make me want to complete the set.

if not Max, then maybe Kakizaki!

14 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

kaki = easy pre-order

10 minutes ago, UN Spacy said:

That's what folks said about Chuck’s 31 LOL.

I'm sure that Kakizaki will be even harder to get (if it does get made) and everyone will be clamoring for it.  Fist fights, bloody and broken appendages, busted hands, legs, you name it.

Maybe more busted computers, phones, etc..

3 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Eh, Kakizaki doesn't have a radome pod.

He's the only person that got shot by Milia. The rest survived the incident.

2 minutes ago, slide said:

*If the following seems salty, that's 1000% directed at Bandai*

1) Driving demand Via Artificial Scarcity [scalpers + limited production run] then, potentially, your customers getting pissed at you and voting with their wallets AGAINST you. While, admittedly, succeeding in selling your set amount of units? [ie: assuming future risk for no potential extra gain]

-OR-

2) Netting some good PR, While Maximizing Profit + potentially moving more units than you thought, and Satisfying your Customers [including retailers]... all at once?

As a Corporation, Maximization of Profit being the goal, nothing but option 2 makes sense... at least to me.

I'm assuming Bandai have a Manager/other staff in charge of the line, it's management and it's releases, which means they're already paying for people to manage this... 'cause it's their job. A Job they're not ding as well as they could be in my opinion.

Maybe I'm just too Ruthless a Businessman... but my math checks out:

'more units sold = more profit' Which, yes, balances against 'units sitting unsold on shelves looks bad'

Best part: The internet allows one to gather ACTUAL DATA/NUMBERS on this exact maximization... Doing it my way means a few e-mails and a calculator are all that's required [on Bandai's end] to ensure the former, while minimizing the latter... AND satisfied customers!

The only "money left on the table" is Mine, in my wallet, because I couldn't secure a PO.

Doing PO's the way they are, frankly, has left me feeling a little Insulted considering the proliferation of Scalpers and [suspected] Bots...

Did I mention I was salty about it? :5:

But hey, far be-it for me to tell other/fellow "Macross-ochists" how to spend their time/money.

P.S. Thought: I better not find out that Bandai have the same skeezy relationship with their scalpers that Ticketmaster has :ph34r: ................

I think it partially reflects their approach to risk.

From working with Japanese companies, and speaking to others who do, as a whole Japanese companies are very risk averse.

Option 2 means a possibility of higher profits, but also a possibility of taking a complete bath on a few releases.

Option 1 is much more reliable, no wild swings on their end in number of units sold vs prediction. It's a "safer" choice.

Just now, borgified said:
Just now, Sanity is Optional said:

Eh, Kakizaki doesn't have a radome pod.

good thing that's a Moot-point until the DYRL schemes release...:D

Edited by slide

5 minutes ago, Ipsquitch said:

Is it terrible that I'm seriously considering offering my 31A as *part* of a trade for a the 1/48 1A if I can't get one before markup?

I' might be tempted, given that the 31A is the only Delta valkyrie that I am missing.

7 minutes ago, Ipsquitch said:

Is it terrible that I'm seriously considering offering my 31A as *part* of a trade for a the 1/48 1A if I can't get one before markup?

Wow I would have thought you could command an asking price with the 31A that's higher than the current scalper's rate for the Max 1A!  Or did I misinterpret what you meant (to offer the 31A as part of a trade for the 1/48 DX 1A)?

1 minute ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

I' might be tempted, given that the 31A is the only Delta valkyrie that I am missing.

I have a feeling you're going to fall in love with the Max, and the 31A won't be worth it when you can only have one or the other.

2 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

Wow I would have thought you could command an asking price with the 31A that's higher than the current scalper's rate for the Max 1A!  Or did I misinterpret what you meant (to offer the 31A as part of a trade for the 1/48 DX 1A)?

Yeah, I meant it would be one part of a larger trade, either the 31A and some cash, or another Valk. I know people out there will have doubles and triples of something I don't have yet.

9 minutes ago, borgified said:

I'm sure that Kakizaki will be even harder to get (if it does get made) and everyone will be clamoring for it.  Fist fights, bloody and broken appendages, busted hands, legs, you name it.

Maybe more busted computers, phones, etc..

I am hoping that Kakizaki will be a TWE release (less PO madness) but who knows.  With the Max 1A being so difficult to come by during preorder, it would have killed of many people's hopes for completing the Vermillion Squadron in this line.  Unfortunately the main draw of the Kakizaki TV 1A is really the completion of the squadron and not much else, so if it's not a TWE item, production volume might be even lower than the Max TV 1A.

1 minute ago, Sanity is Optional said:

It won't, Amazon prices have been dropping since last night. I think the scalpers may have under-estimated the number of other scalpers jumping on this.

Yup, the ceiling seems to be about 30k yen.  It's already trending downward.  As much as this PO has sucked, it doesn't really have the makings of the next Vf-31A, yet. 

Now if pre-orders start getting canceled, or people don't receive shipments at release, then it could turn into something crazy like that.

Anime-export still hasn’t opened so people still have a chance maybe tonight. I’m kicking myself in the foot over not picking one up even though I had it in cart but I’d rather it go to someone who really wants one over my indecisiveness 

2 minutes ago, Ipsquitch said:

Yeah, I meant it would be one part of a larger trade, either the 31A and some cash, or another Valk. I know people out there will have doubles and triples of something I don't have yet.

Personally I see it the other way round - brand new 31A's are going for upwards of 45-50k yen and as of today, scalper price of a Max PO is around 30k yen.  It should be the other party offering the 1A with some other stuff/cash to trade with your 31A IMHO.

17 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

awe man! got caught, i'll wait till next pre-order night. it's a good time killer during the 2 hour countdown till 16:00JST

Don't worry, sir. I'll join you and your AmiAmi CC inquiry on the next PO night. I might ask as well where usually to PO. :rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, borgified said:

True. But that's in DYRL. Not on SDFM series. ;) 

I think it partially reflects their approach to risk.

From working with Japanese companies, and speaking to others who do, as a whole Japanese companies are very risk averse.

Option 2 means a possibility of higher profits, but also a possibility of taking a complete bath on a few releases.

Option 1 is much more reliable, no wild swings on their end in number of units sold vs prediction. It's a "safer" choice.

Hmmmmmmmm... I get the risk-averse stance, but here's my counter:

Option 1 is completely dependant on your customer's Rabidness for the item VS how much they hate dealing with your company... the obvious counter to THAT is that Bandai are making a bigger, sturdier, CHEAPER VF-1 than Arcadia, with new versions are coming out faster/more consistent... so Bandai's winning.

I agree it seems safer... Game Theory would suggest it's the wrong choice long-term... and again: my idea relied on hard PO data [preferably pre-payed, I'm sure]

you just need to gather said data before the start of production.

I can't see how that's a problem unless they fail to deliver the product.

It won't, Amazon prices have been dropping since last night. I think the scalpers may have under-estimated the number of other scalpers jumping on this.

Good, the buggers!

Glad to see this one's at least not going Frakking insane like the VF-31A did [yea, I know, special case of a production flub, but still]

Edited by slide

2 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

Personally I see it the other way round - brand new 31A's are going for upwards of 45-50k yen and as of today, scalper price of a Max PO is around 30k yen.  It should be the other party offering the 1A with some other stuff/cash to trade with your 31A IMHO.

No, your correct, I just typed it backwards. The problem with trying to work, F5 different sites for a cancelled order, and make a coherent forum post... Something had to give. haha

29 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Buyer remorse will be a super easy fix for this one. Just said the word and a line will form to take this off your hand (hopefully I will be on the front of the line). :)

Congrats for the late win. You deserve it.

Just now, Ipsquitch said:

No, your correct, I just typed it backwards. The problem with trying to work, F5 different sites for a cancelled order, and make a coherent forum post... Something had to give. haha

Juggling browser-tabs sounds easy, doesn't it?:D

1 minute ago, slide said:

Option 1 is completely dependant on your customer's Rabidness for the item VS how much they hate dealing with your company... the obvious counter to THAT is that Bandai are making a bigger, sturdier, CHEAPER VF-1 than Arcadia, with new versions are coming out faster/more consistent... so Bandai's winning.

Remember, the larger strategy decisions aren't made just in regards to Macross, but the whole DX Chogokin line (of which macross is only a part of) and their premium lines in their entirety (Chogokin, Metal Build, the various Fix Figuration/Metal Composite/etc...).

In a lot of those cases, there's more or less competition, or no competition at all.

Also part of the risk adverseness comes down to the shops too, they'd much rather get a shipment that flies off the shelves, than one that sits. Which gives Bandai better leverage over MSRP and distributor pricing.

2 minutes ago, Ipsquitch said:

Oh right yeah I'm with you.  Got up early as well (up since 3:15 Eastern - not as early as the main party here), but a slow day at work for me fortunately. 

23 minutes ago, slide said:

-OR-

Your theory works as long as it is a single line.  Bandai, even big as it is, has limits to what it can produce.  If they go ahead with a Macross product, they are sacrificing production line capacity for other lines.  My bet is they know exactly how many VF-1As they can produce and remain profitable and the negative PR be damned.  If they impact the other lines, they will probably face a bigger backlash than anything the meagre Macross fandom can produce.