I've avoided all spoilers, but it certainly sounds like there's a chunk of the game being held back for DLC. Total conjecture on that, but from what I've been hearing it's a real "WTF, that's it?" sorta deal. No resolution and no ending really. The game just stops.

Well, the game stops, but the story wraps. The DLC would just bridge the two.

A transforming metal gear model kit? I gotta get me one of those. B))

Truth is, I couldn't decide on whether to get this or the Rex kit, and procrastinated on the matter until the Rex kit was discontinued at hlj. But since Sahelanthropus essentially "transforms" into the Rex anyway (or something close enough), I guess I'll be getting more bang for my buck with this.

Edited by GU-11

earlier, I was jokingly going to ask if the things sticking out of it's torso were beam sabers. Now I see that they are and I'm saverely disappointed in you Kojima. :mellow:<_<:wacko::angry:

I agree with you. I also don't like the beam sabers on the Metal Gears. I mean, they're already huge metal gears, why would they need a beam saber? :blink: And come to think of it, in the MGS universe, there were already beam sabers back in '1984'?! :ph34r:

I like the figure. But I'm not sure yet if I'm going to get since I don't want to venture to another line of toys. :unsure:

Finally finished the main story. After thinking about it overall, I thought it wasn't as bad as alot have said. I loved the game through and through but it gave me a big Xenogears vibe in the end as far as finished product. As far as MGS plots, Snake Eater still takes the crown as the best story in the series IMO.

Some ending spoilers

MGSV is getting a lot of the same backlash that MGS2 had. Same kinda deal with Konami marketing you playing one character everyone wants to be when the reality is you are some schmuck no one heard of. Give some time for the hate to die down and let people think about what the ending means, people may come to appreciate this game just like the rest of the series. Hopefully we got some interviews with Kojima about what happened to mission 51 soon.

For me MGS1 will probably always be the best plot.

Some ending spoilers

MGSV is getting a lot of the same backlash that MGS2 had. Same kinda deal with Konami marketing you playing one character everyone wants to be when the reality is you are some schmuck no one heard of. Give some time for the hate to die down and let people think about what the ending means, people may come to appreciate this game just like the rest of the series. Hopefully we got some interviews with Kojima about what happened to mission 51 soon.

For me MGS1 will probably always be the best plot.

This game parallels 2 in a lot of ways, the least of whuch is the character plot twist. I honestly think Kojima has been trying to stress the importance of not idolizing the hero you (the audience) think you're playing, and that it's more right circumstances, right time, since MGS1.

We're re-introduced to Solid Snake, after the reveal that he's the son (now specified clone) of Big Boss. Who's the bad guy? A superior clone with an inferiority complex, soneone who should by all rights is stronger and smarter than Solid. Hell, Liquid would have won if not for Foxdie.

2 gave us Raiden, a character with a similar mold as Gray Fox, and simulated training equal to Solid Snake. Better yet, originally trained by Solidus, technically naking Raiden closer to Big Boss (in training) than Solid. The real twist in this game being that Ocelot has turned himself into Liquid, to start on his journey toward becoming Big Boss. Old Bog Boss (via being Solidus) is defeated yet again, by a Solid / Naked level Meme version (Raiden).

3 takes everything back so we can learn just why being Big Boss is so damn important, only to find out it was actually the Boss who was so amazing, with BB being the first meme copy, and Ocelot being of true lineage.

4 resolves all the major story points, but the interesting thing there was that Solid never evolved into a "Big Boss," instead, Ocelot took up the mantle, while fully ascending into the sacrificial "Boss" role of his mother (i.e., being the bad guy in order to facilitate a good guy win).

I think Peace Walker, and to a lessor extent Portable Ops, was the story that people thought they were gonna get in Phantom Pain. PW was the ascention of Big Boss into his badguy "Boss" methidology. Plus, the groundwork for tge Patriots A.I. was layed out.

What Phantom Pain does is drive home what's been there all along. Venon doesn't have the Big Boss super soldier gene, he has something more important, the meme. Zero / Cipher inadvertantly gave Venom the same thing the Boss gave to naked. Venom became "a" true Boss by virtue of will and meme. That's why BB recognizes him as equal, while Liquid and Solid were treated like imposters.

In the end:

- Miller teaches Solid how to become his interpretation of Big Boss, who's actuallt more Miller than Big Boss or The Boss.

- Liquid never get's past the rage and rejection that Zero fave him. Ocelot brings him up to speed as a negative of Solid, but I honestly don't think he reaches BB level that he tried to take.

- Solidus is the true copy / Phantom of the series. He was the Big Boss Zero envisioned, which is why he just copied BB's rebellion against Zero & The Patriots.

- Raiden had a lot in common wirh Liquid. A child soldier full of self hate and rage, but he gey's the redemption Liquid never did. Just like Solid, he doesn't become BB, and actually falls into a Gray Fox support role.

- Naked Snake never wanted to become the Boss, but Zero forced him into tge role due to his (Zero) inability to met her go. Zero believed that a man trained by, and capable of defeating The Boss must be the ultimate incarnation of her. Naked Snake became Big Boss to try and stop Zero's perversion of her.

- Zero was a huge freaking idiot with too much power. If the Philosophers were a malevolent illuminati, then Zero dethroned them to become an stiffling Big Brother. He lost control just as quickly as he took it, and turned everything he touched into sh!t, including Big Boss. His paranoia led to Skullface / XOF, and ultimately The Patriots system becoming far worse than The Philosophers ever were.

- The Boss was a woman, and a soldier She didn't have super powets, parasites, or soldier genes, she just had extreme skill and conviction. Probably why it was her meme that carried the strongest.

- Ocelot is probably the closest thing to a real hero in the series. It's not clear if he dver knew who his parents were, but by choice, he idolized Naked, and by proxy The Boss, and molded himsrlf into her. He sacrificed his persona to play the role of the worst bad guy, to save the world from A.I. subjigation.

So in a series where every major character is some genetic or mental copy of The Boss, I don't see how anyone can take issue with Venom not genetically beong BB.

The other important thing Phantom Pain dod was explain the last mysteries of how super powers work in the series. Biological symbiots that facilitated human evolution nicely lead into nano-technology. Psycho Mantis and The Sorrow were able to bio hack into others (psychic powers), which makes sense if you accept a natural form of brain wifi.

Foxdie and the nano-machines were a mechanical recreation of the Parasites The Cobra Team Code Talker researched. I can see Decoy Octopus nano boosting himself to mimic the appearance of others, similar to how The Skulls used parasite armor. The Fear's parasite skin perfect stealth was mixed with The Ends parasite photosynthasis to make Quiet. Vamp is a nano version of the skulls, etc.

Another fun reference. Volgin's electric / biofield manipulation was refined into Fortune and Ocelot's bullet deflection system.

If Zero hadn't tried to turn BB into Captain America, things would have been canon quiet after Snake Eater. :)

I agree Keith.

I still hope that the whole "Kingdom of Flies" chapter gets finished released as DLC. It's a shame that it was cut from the final game and one exclusion that hurt my final impression of the game alittle. The ending itself left me with more questions though.
How does Diamond Dogs evolve into Outer Heaven?
Does Venom Snake become more aggressive as the years role on and turns into that "villain" Big Boss is largely seen as? It certainly looked from the imagery that some piece of humanity was beginning to slip in TPP. I wouldn't surprise me if by 1995, he's brushed off Big Boss altogether and is going his own route, thus prompting BB to go into action and send Gray Fox into Outer Heaven.
Even after Big Bosses' evident transformation in Peacewalker, I still don't see him necessarily as a villain. Just as a main who's tired of being screwed over/backstabbed by his superiors.

I agree Keith.

I still hope that the whole "Kingdom of Flies" chapter gets finished released as DLC. It's a shame that it was cut from the final game and one exclusion that hurt my final impression of the game alittle. The ending itself left me with more questions though.

How does Diamond Dogs evolve into Outer Heaven?

Does Venom Snake become more aggressive as the years role on and turns into that "villain" Big Boss is largely seen as? It certainly looked from the imagery that some piece of humanity was beginning to slip in TPP. I wouldn't surprise me if by 1995, he's brushed off Big Boss altogether and is going his own route, thus prompting BB to go into action and send Gray Fox into Outer Heaven.

Even after Big Bosses' evident transformation in Peacewalker, I still don't see him necessarily as a villain. Just as a main who's tired of being screwed over/backstabbed by his superiors.

Well,

Venom snake is actually working with Big Boss. Putting the original Meral Gear into perspective, it's actually Solid Snake that's the bad guy. Think as Outer Heaven as the FOB for Zanzibarland. Big Boss is playing along with The Patriots by leading Fox Hound, while Venom starts their frontline assault. Solid Snake obviously wasn't supposed to win, as Big Boss sent him in to die. If anything, it's a testament to how pissed of Kaz was that Solid was trained so well.

Conjecture: With Big Boss being the key to shutting down the Patriots system, Venom could have fully occupied them with Outer Heaven, while BB went about using his Zanzibarland force to sneak in and shut them down. Hell, they may have even planned to use Solid's body as a secondaru access if BB failed.

Since the whole thing went to pot, I think Ocelot used Liquid & Solidus to draw out the location of The Patriots via the Shadow Moses incident.

Funny thing is, Solid wound up working foe The Patriots in all his stories, making him the true badguy up through the end of 4.

Great write up on the whole story Keith, a few probable answers for ya Shadow

In the final cutscene there is a time jump from 1984 to 1995. My guess would be that Diamond Dogs slowly transferred troops and funds to Outer Heaven around the time Venom became the commander. BB and Venom were working together till Snake was sent to infiltrate and destroy. Some speculation is that BB ordered Venom to die for him and he refused because we see him punch the mirror at the end of the cutscene. Venom intercepts the messages between BB and Snake and tries to send Snake false info and get him killed. That fails, metal gear is destroyed and Snake kills Venom.

As for Big Boss being the bad guy, he does a few things off screen that show how ruthless he can be to get what he wants. He leaves Kaz, his best friend and supporter behind to act as a smoke screen. Kaz worked hard for nine years to keep him safe only to get the shaft from BB who has more important things to do. Kaz gets his revenge though so I guess it all worked out.

The poor medic is changed into a perfect copy by Zero. Instead of being utterly disgusted like he was with the clones, BB accepts it rather quickly and decides to use Venom for his own gains. Upon proving himself as an equal by killing Skullface, BB reaches out to Venom for help.

BB cruises the world, slowly moving from battlefield to battlefield gaining supporters and building Outer Heaven only to throw it and all the troops that followed him away so he could get Zanzibarland up and running.

I will admit I didn't like how the cobra unit got explained away as just some parasite infested guys. I guess it just takes some of the fun out of the mysterious guys who ended WW2 :lol: .

Edited by dizman

Great write up on the whole story Keith, a few probable answers for ya Shadow

In the final cutscene there is a time jump from 1984 to 1995. My guess would be that Diamond Dogs slowly transferred troops and funds to Outer Heaven around the time Venom became the commander. BB and Venom were working together till Snake was sent to infiltrate and destroy. Some speculation is that BB ordered Venom to die for him and he refused because we see him punch the mirror at the end of the cutscene. Venom intercepts the messages between BB and Snake and tries to send Snake false info and get him killed. That fails, metal gear is destroyed and Snake kills Venom.

As for Big Boss being the bad guy, he does a few things off screen that show how ruthless he can be to get what he wants. He leaves Kaz, his best friend and supporter behind to act as a smoke screen. Kaz worked hard for nine years to keep him safe only to get the shaft from BB who has more important things to do. Kaz gets his revenge though so I guess it all worked out.

The poor medic is changed into a perfect copy by Zero. Instead of being utterly disgusted like he was with the clones, BB accepts it rather quickly and decides to use Venom for his own gains. Upon proving himself as an equal by killing Skullface, BB reaches out to Venom for help.

BB cruises the world, slowly moving from battlefield to battlefield gaining supporters and building Outer Heaven only to throw it and all the troops that followed him away so he could get Zanzibarland up and running.

I will admit I didn't like how the cobra unit got explained away as just some parasite infested guys. I guess it just takes some of the fun out of the mysterious guys who ended WW2 :lol: .

I don't see it so much as explaining away, as establishing precedent. They used naturally occurring biological super science, something the nano-machines were aspirong to copy.

After unlocking Quiet a few days ago and using her as a buddy, (to quote RDJ in Iron Man 2) Venom can basically sit on a lawn chair, sippin' on a ice tea while she mops everything up. Okay, maybe that was an exaggeration, but I didn't do much more than point her in the direction of the enemy's location and tranq a few soldiers while they're cowering behind cover and facing in her direction.

After unlocking Quiet a few days ago and using her as a buddy, (to quote RDJ in Iron Man 2) Venom can basically sit on a lawn chair, sippin' on a ice tea while she mops everything up. Okay, maybe that was an exaggeration, but I didn't do much more than point her in the direction of the enemy's location and tranq a few soldiers while they're cowering behind cover and facing in her direction.

She is pure magic & sunshine.

"Quiet" does seem sometimes to be almost an "Easy" mode option, which suits me as my stealth approaches always go horribly wrong and wind up in things exploding. "D-Dog" can still have his uses, and Quiet can be hurt, which was something of a surprise to me in a mid-game mission the other day...

D-Horse is sitting in a pasture remembering the glory days when he used to chase tanks with his bestest pal Snake...

Edited by F-ZeroOne